Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rose-Colored Glasses
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ancient History
Rose-Colored Glasses
This implanted expert system monitors the status of the body, triggering the release of certain chemicals and/or disabling the retention of long-term memories.

Commonly, this device is a "feel-good" implant. Whenever the user's physiological indicators suggest a negative emotional state, their retention from long-term to short-term memory is negated for ten seconds and a small dose of laes and endorphins is released from an implanted chemical gland. The user transitions smoothly, as they don't ever remember the event occurring. Psychologists suggest the device may cause irreperable harm and dependence on the psyche of the user, but users of the device are blissfully unaware of anything wrong.

Rumors abound of a remote-activation version of this device, used in the early 2050's as a form of positive-conditioning before psychotropic IC became more widespread.

Similar rumors suggest illegal modifications to this device made by prisoners on one another, using improvised surgical tools and hacking the controls. This modification renders the device permanently "on" for the duration of the prisoner's sentance, effectively reducing the memories of a two-year hitch to a disjointed, drug-hazed 5-minute flashback sequence.

Cost: 45,000 nuyen.gif
Essence Cost: 1.0
Bio-Index Gain: 0.6
wagnern
Heck, who needs Soma?
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Ancient History)
but users of the device are blissfully unaware of anything wrong.

Isn't that true of any addictive substance?

Anyway, nice rules for an increasingly obscure expression.
The Grifter
Why not just use Laes? (sp?)
Jrayjoker
Second paragraph.

It does use Laes, but in a controlled way.
Garland
Heh, imagine a reversed version that worked every time the implant detected a positive emotional state.
Nikoli
Anyone else seeing the skit from old Saturday night live, Mr. Short-term memory?
RoaminNose
For some reason, it made me think more of Peril-Sensitive Sunglasses.
The Grifter
Second paragraph.

It does use Laes, but in a controlled way.

I see.
Grifter
Very interesting, would be funny to see a troll with it and anger problems, i can imagine the team spending an entire night just harassing him for fun.
JaronK
You know, a condition somewhat like this exists today, though there's no memory lapsing. It occurs in patients who've had a stroke on one side of their brain (I forget which). Evendently there's a part of your brain on one side of it, near your ear, that essencially is a "don't worry about it" center, and tells you it's okay. On the other side of the brain is a part that's sort of a "this is a serious problem" center.

Patients who've had strokes that damaged the second of the two never acknowledge any problem at all... nothing bothers them, and they'll actually deny the existance of anything wrong. This particular condition tends to occur in patients who have had enough brain damage to also lose all muscle control in one side of their body, yet the patients won't acknowledge that they're paralyzed. Doctors were actually able to show that they did know about the problem, they just completely denied it, and were in fact completely incapable of accepting it (sometimes you could create contradictions in their logic that they couldn't get around, and this would actually cause halucinations to fix the problem). They had all their memory, they just weren't acknowldging that there was anything wrong.

Wacky.

JaronK
amadeus
hmm, reminds me of memento, but yea that would be pretty useful for cyberzombies... keep them happy and stress free.

But, I am not sure if any of my characters would want this implant. Also, isn't there some drug, not just laes, but a drug that just makes everything allright, and does not allow you to feel any emotions?

Maybe I am just on crack here, but I remeber something kinda like this...

amadeus
Kaosaur
Rose tint my world
Keep me safe from the trouble and pain
tschofie
Might not a user of such a device become addicted to situations causing negative emotional states? Masochism in the extreme, perhaps? Would they start seeking out embarassing, frightening, or otherwise distressful situations in order to get the rush?

And if you go visit a concentration camp in order to feel bad (in the hope of feeling even better,) can you feel bad in the first place?

What an... interesting character to play. Cool.

Cheers,
TS

_____
To live is to hurt others, and through others, to hurt oneself. Cruel earth! How can we manage not to touch anything? To find what ultimate exile?
--Camus
Demosthenes
Interesting...
devil.gif
Ancient History
QUOTE (amadeus)
hmm, reminds me of memento, but yea that would be pretty useful for cyberzombies... keep them happy and stress free.

But, I am not sure if any of my characters would want this implant. Also, isn't there some drug, not just laes, but a drug that just makes everything allright, and does not allow you to feel any emotions?

Maybe I am just on crack here, but I remeber something kinda like this...

amadeus

You're thinking of Equilibrium.
Thistledown
I wonder if I can use this to finaly make my Loti character (Based of star of the guardians)
Nikoli
QUOTE (tschofie)
Might not a user of such a device become addicted to situations causing negative emotional states? Masochism in the extreme, perhaps? Would they start seeking out embarassing, frightening, or otherwise distressful situations in order to get the rush?

And if you go visit a concentration camp in order to feel bad (in the hope of feeling even better,) can you feel bad in the first place?

What an... interesting character to play. Cool.

Cheers,
TS

_____
To live is to hurt others, and through others, to hurt oneself. Cruel earth! How can we manage not to touch anything? To find what ultimate exile?
--Camus

Wouldn't happen. Because they wouldn't remember the stimulus that caused the high. However it could lead to a bitch of a situation, addicted to a substance and you don't know what it is or how you get your mitts on it.
Dog
I read a novel called "Noir" some years back that addressed a similar situation. Took it a little further though. The corp that distributed the implant set it to release good feelies under only one condition: Contributing money or work to the corp. Conniving bastards. Called the early version "TIAC" (Turd In A Can) later version "TOAW" (Turd On A Wire). Described as the ultimate elimination of the middle-man. Good book.

Oh, congrats to me! This is my last posting as a single man....
Garland
"Noir" also featured a reality filter for the real world. Nice book (aside from the rant about intellectual property). Really grim.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Wouldn't happen. Because they wouldn't remember the stimulus that caused the high. However it could lead to a bitch of a situation, addicted to a substance and you don't know what it is or how you get your mitts on it.

Sounds like the subject in one of the old Michael Crichton novels "The Terminal Man".

I don't think you would need Laes at all... just stick some electrodes between the hippocampal folds and zap the person whenever you don't want them to remember. If you modulate the electrical discharge correctly (and in sufficiently tiny amounts to prevent seizure), the short-term memory -> long-term memory simply doesn't happen. I'm sure they've figured it out by the time 2050 rolls around (considering they have Full-X Simsense and they can alter memories with simsense reprogramming).
Nikoli
Not to mention the Memory lock
The Grifter
Congrats, Dog. Or give em' hell, whichever the case may be. LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012