Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Active and non active foci
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mortax
So I have a question, I think I know the answere, but I'm making sure as I can't find it in any book.

When foci are active, are they undetectible on the mundane level? What about when they are inactive (off)? And finally, can you tell what they are for, say a specific spell focus for treat as opposed to hellblast? Or manabolt as opposed to powerbolt? Thank!
hahnsoo
The only way to determine what a foci does without astral perception is using an Enchanting shop and the Talismongering/Enchanting (Mundanes can't get Enchanting) skill. The Analyzing Magical Items rules are on p47 MitS.

Active Foci, unless otherwise specified, aren't detectable at the mundane level. There are many foci that look obviously magical, though, and thus someone might be able to tell if the ornate wand that the mage is waving around is a focus of some kind.
amadeus
To expand this question a bit, because I can't remember the rules...

I know active foci can not pass through Astral Barriers, but can deactived foci pass through astral barriers?

amadeus
hahnsoo
QUOTE (amadeus @ Apr 27 2005, 11:55 PM)
To expand this question a bit, because I can't remember the rules...

I know active foci can not pass through Astral Barriers, but can deactived foci pass through astral barriers?

amadeus

Both CAN pass through barriers. It's a Force test for an Active Focus to pass through a Barrier, with a threshold equal to half of the Barrier's Force. In other words, you roll a number of dice equal to the Force of the Focus, against a TN of the Barrier's Force. If you equal or exceed a number of successes equal to half the Barrier's Force, it passes through. If you get at least one success, it is forcefully deactivated. If you get no successes, the barrier has a chance to destroy the focus (Barrier Force vs. twice the Focus's Force). In any case, if it is a ward, then the ward's creator knows that it has been breached.

Deactivated Foci pass through just fine.

MitS, p83
amadeus
sweet thanks Hahnsoo...

amadeus
Mortax
The only way to determine what a foci does without astral perception is

okay, so what about a mage looking at a deactivated focus astrally? Does it look normal, or magical?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Mortax @ Apr 28 2005, 12:17 AM)
The only way to determine what a foci does without astral perception is

okay, so what about a mage looking at a deactivated focus astrally? Does it look normal, or magical?

Magical. When you take a Simple Action to Astrally Perceive, you extend your senses and assense pretty much anything in range (although as a practical matter, most GMs only let you assense particular subjects). Deactivated foci still have the astral signature of the person who bonded them. You can find said astral signatures, and determine the type/force of the foci, unless they are being masked (and even deactivated foci count toward the Initiate Grade masking limit, at least for "passive" masking). Deactivated foci don't "glow" on the astral plane, but you can determine any and all astral signatures in the area when you assense, and foci are definitely astral signatures.
Mortax
Thanks, this helped a lot. smile.gif

Um, one other thing, can they figure out what the focus does? ie specific spell focus for treat as opposed to hellblast? Or manabolt as opposed to powerbolt?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Mortax)
Um, one other thing, can they figure out what the focus does? ie specific spell focus for treat as opposed to hellblast? Or manabolt as opposed to powerbolt?

While Astrally Perceiving? Yes, if you get enough successes. There is a huge-ass table on SR3, p172 that details how many successes you need on an astral perception test to detect things like astral signatures (deactivated foci), types of foci, etc. Generally, you need 5 or more successes to determine exact force and specific parameters of the focus (Specific Spell Focus for Hellblast, rating 6), but 1 success is sufficient to determine what type of focus (Specific Spell Focus of some kind) and 3 successes allow you to determine if the focus is greater or less than your Magic Rating in power.
Mortax
Okay, that's all I had. smile.gif
Thanks a ton.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012