Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More Outlandish Artifacts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ancient History
Boredom once again rears its ugly head, behold a trove of e'en sillier and potent magical devices that you can legally construct.

The Black Sword
This two-handed greatsword is of an unknown design, superficially similiar to both the great Scottish blades of the 15th century, but possessed of ornaments completely alien to that locale and time period. Indeed, the intricate runic designs and ornamental embellshments on the blade, hilt and guard correspond to no known historical culture. Although the runic inscriptions on the blade itself bear resemblance to established rune-systems, there appears to be no true correspondance. Scholars have suggested that the blade was designed to appear to come from an ancient, alien culture, citing as credence the unknown black metal it is made of, the obvious artificial language of the runes, and the curious and unique embellishments and style, which would require modern technology to properly fabricate. Unfortunately, the magical nature of the blade has so far disallowed proper metallurgical testing.

The Black Sword is the prison of a powerful toxic spirit of man, with a Force and Spirit Energy of 12. Every time the blade strikes, the spirit uses its Essence Drain and Karma Drain powers on the victim, drinking their very spirit. It suffers from Essence Loss, and thus seeks to feed at every opportunity (at any time, the Black Sword's spirit may attempt a Contest of Wills with the wielder, as it twists in their grasp to slay the nearest sentient...or the wielder, if there are no others nearby).
The blade may be bonded as a Weapon Focus(12), and the spirit will aid the wielder's sorcery with its Aid Power, in the manner of an ally spirit.

The spirit within the sword may, if the wielder allows, possess the wielder for a short time. During this possession, the wielder is effected by Enhanced Attributes equal to the Force of the spirit, has an effective Edged Weapons (Sword [The Black Sword]) skill of 12, and is in a constant exultant, cruel beserker state. If the wielder at any time loses contact with the sword, the possession immediately ends. Otherwise, it continues until the wielder makes a successful Contest of Wills, or the Sword's Essence reaches 0.

Rumors hint that the Black Sword may be made to "bleed" (a function of the spirit's Wealth power), and that drinking the resultant blood transforms the wielder into a being similiar to a Vampire Pawn. The immortal unfortunates often quickly become enslaved to the sword, little better than mass-murdering monsters sustained by the sword's essence alone. They are derogatively (but fearfully) referred to as "Sword Wraiths."

The Book of Infinite Spells
Originally crafted by a very minor enchanter who happened upon the newly-freed ally spirit of a recently deceased mage-librarian, this heavy book is filled with more than a thousand spells, each one to a page and of widely different languages, styles, traditions, and schools. Now if only there was an index...

A relatively weak Force 1 free ally spirit (called Erasmus) is bound to this heavy tome, which also serves as a Force 3 free spirit focus (for Erasmus only). Whenever the owner of the book asks, Erasmus must use its Wealth power to create the formula for a spell within the book. Unfortunately, Erasmus is not the most powerful of spirits. Therefore, all of the spell formulae in the book are relatively minor. Furthermore, unless specified at the time of being asked to create them, Erasmus chooses the tradition andlanguage of the spell formula at random. A magician in possession of the Book of Infinite Spells may therefore, with 1d6 minutes of study(Erasmus refuses to help), discover any Force 1 spell. However, there is only a 1d6 chance that the spell is in the same tradition as the magician, and thus must be translated as normal.

Some magicians have erronously stated that the book actually casts spells if the formulae are written aloud. The truth of this is that Erasmus was once bedevilled by a much more powerful imp, who learned all of the spells in the Book and would cast them as the magicians read them...often to mischevious ends. The current owner of the book, who had ended up needlessly married because of a "Detect Pregnancy" spell csat by said imp, managed to seal the imp in a warded thimble, and then (at some cost) arrange for it to be taken on a shuttle headed into low-earth orbit. Whether the imp managed to survive the mana warp at those velocities is unknown.

The Hermetic Seal
A popular service recently come into vogue among certain circles, the Hermetic seal is a large warding sigil drawn in henna on the torso, arms and legs of the client. The cost of the service is reasonable, based on the strength and duration of protection required. Permanent versions are sometimes available upon request, although the cost is commensurate.

Essentially, this new side-line for entrepreneurial magicians affixes a temporary ward to a metahuman subject, using henna or other strong dyes, mixed with the necessary thaumaturgical reagents, to draw out the warding symbol (usually the geometric signs of the Seal of Hermes.) This seal is popular among mundanes and adepts who are afraid of unwilling possession, and saw a spread of popularity in Hong Kong during the long duration of the astral shallow there (with sporadic astral rifts fuelling the paranoia about random spirit possession). Astral projection is not possible without first breaking through the ward, but the ward is "polarised" to allow astral perception to work normally.

Costs are standard for creating a ward, the typical force is 3, with stronger wards being more rare and usually only for the longer-lasting protections. The so-called "permanent" ward is actually a quickened tattoo magic version of the Force:6 Spirit Barrier.

The Ace of Winchesters
A sleek, classic Winchester rifle, made of bright steel and dull gems that seem to burn when the light catches them right. There are three notches along the ivor-inlaid stock.

Rumors has it the Ace of Winchesters was made during the abortive second Texas Republic by one of the Rangers, built from metal from the Heavens and gems from the earth and the bones of saints to kill the dark spirit of the Aztlaners. Some even claim the Ranger sold his soul to make the rifle.

The Ace of Winchesters is actually a Force 8 ally spirit, whose summoner gave it the form of a classic Winchester rifle. Seamus O'Grady, the summoner, rents out the ally spirit as a weapon, quietly encouraging the legend he's built up around it. The Ally Spirit is dual-natured at all times while "on assignment."

O'Grady came up with the idea after finding an astral construct of a set of bullet-casting tools in an abandoned mine. He sends spirits searching far and wide across the astral, bringing him other astral constructs made of metal, smelting them into bullets for the Ace of Winchesters with the aid of a fire elemental and the tools.

Renting the Ace of Winchesters costs 10,000 CAS dollars per diem, paid in advance, and comes with three "astral bullets" and a box of ten silver bullets for more ordinary fare. Once the time-or the bullets-are used up, the Ace of Winchesters returns to O'Grady.

The Bone Machine
Dozens of skulls propped up on corroded chrome poles, entwined with wires down into the black, featureless plastic of the Electric Altar. Jacked into the bone machine lies a magician, listening to the quite susurrus of spirits teaching him...

A work-in-progress, as they say. Michael Perez was your average otaku dwarf, minding his own business, when SURGE hit and suddenly he Awakened. The experience was a bit much for the young technomancer...and he flipped. The result is the Bone Machine.

Over a dozen spectres and apparitions have been bound into the weirdling computer known as the Bone Machine; Michael thinks he's communing with the spirits of the dead magicians whose skulls he's wired up into the computer. The truth is that the "computer" does nothing except store Michael's hermetic library (Rating cool.gif, which he's copied from sources all over the Matrix. However, when Michael (or anyone else) jacks in to the computer, they can indeed communicate with the bound spirits. The respective attitude and knowledge of each spirit varies in helpfulness and usefullness, but each one is bound to answer and teach as best they can. One or two of them were even magicians in their past lives, or developed spell-casting abilities later, and have been instrumental in teaching Michael how to initiate and make the most of his abilities...although Michael's isntability is such he sometimes confuses these things.
Crimson Jack
I'm using that Black Sword in my super campaign I'm running this weekend, AH. Muwaha. Graci. wink.gif
Ancient History
Just remember, it should be played by a royal albino elf magician who uses it to gut his girlfriend (who also happens to be his cousin).
Catsnightmare
QUOTE (Ancient History)

The Ace of Winchesters
A sleek, classic Winchester rifle, made of bright steel and dull gems that seem to burn when the light catches them right. There are three notches along the ivor-inlaid stock.

Been reading Hitman lately Ancient ? wink.gif
I need to dig out those issues and re-read them.
Ancient History
I have diverse sources to blame.
Catsnightmare
LOL. I've alrady got a sleazy shadow bar with a free spirit bartender name "Baytor" ready should the players ever come across it.
DocMortand
Hey AH, as you're a fount of wisdom and creativity, what kind of outlandish artifacts would you find in the Magical Research Labs in the Renraku Arcology...during the height of the Shutdown? (circa 2059-2060)

Don't need to go into details, just wacky things and I can go from there. I'm not sure what all they would be working on in there...
Ancient History
Well, let me dig into me bag o'tricks:
  • Hand-ground magical lenses for a prototype laser; with numerous possible military and industrial applications.
  • An experimental "wild zone" to encourage the development of telesma in a "natural" space within the arcology (in the interest of being self-sufficient).
  • A tortoise cyberdeck whose keys have been treated with astral-sensitive pigments, known as the Ouija Deck.
  • A highly experimental focus designed to act as a "mana battery," based on the Absorbing metamagic. It may be charged by the magician bonded to it by casting a spell into the battery, the number of dice it may hold equals it's Force. The bonded magician may access these dice as a normal Pool. Unfortunately, it tends to explode if overloaded.
  • A failed attempt at creating a vaccine for HMHVV based on the HMHVV-II strain; the sample induces HMHVV-II, but on death the subject manifests HMHVV-I. Researcher notes point out the myth of a werewolf becoming a vampire after they die.
  • Very small sustaining and anchoring foci, the largest the size of a pill, designed for prenatal adjustments and monitoring. The most useful being a dime-sized coin, implanted under the skin, which gives off a blue glow if the implantee becomes pregnant.
toturi
The story for the book is hilarious! Low earth orbit... eat mana warp!
Ancient History
Ah, c'mon. Don't tell me y'all've never thought of that.
Demosthenes
A tortoise cyberdeck whose keys have been treated with astral-sensitive pigments, known as the Ouija Deck.

I like that one.
You could probably do something similar with FAB.
toturi
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Ah, c'mon. Don't tell me y'all've never thought of that.

No, the closest I've come up with is using a Virtuso. Much cheaper nuyen.gif-wise and recyclable too.
Ancient History
Is that a mana warp in your pocket, or you just happy to see me?
Demosthenes
Could be both...
silly.gif
LinaInverse
Piquing my curiosity...

Just what are the rules for making an Ally spirit a Weapon Foci? I'm fairly versed in the Foci making rules; I have my plans on making one already laid out. I'm kind of vague on the Ally rules, but I do know that one can make assume "any" form.

So do you make a single formula? And what kind of Karma costs are we talking about for bonding? For Weapon Foci, it's like 8xForce or something like that; does the Force of the Ally add to it or do you just use the existing Karma costs for the Ally and add it?

Also what kind of benefit would such a Foci/Ally have over a normal Foci? For example, how is the Black Sword more powerful/useful/etc than another Force 12 Weapon Foci that doesn't have an Ally? The drawbacks are obvious, especially depending on how a GM decides to roleplay (or mis-play) the Ally. What kind of benefit would it give, that couldn't be gotten by simply making the Ally seperate from the Foci?
Ancient History
Well, in this specific case it's a free ally spirit bound to a weapon focus via a unique enchantment. For your own ally spirit, you'd need to make it a stacked homunculus/weapon focus.

The benefit? Not much mechanically, although you could do the old Dancing Sword trick, and you could call it and it would come to you. Mainly it's for aesthetic reasons.
Pthgar
The Sword reminds me of Morrolan's Morganti blade, Blackwand, from the Taltos novels by Steven Brust.
Sharaloth
I actually had something very similar to the Black Sword in my campaign, though that particular possessed blade was a lot less helpful and a lot more insidious.
Dawnshadow
Not to mention nearly got us killed...

'Don't worry, we can kill it!'
Apathy
The Sword reminds me of Morrolan's Morganti blade, Blackwand, from the Taltos novels by Steven Brust.

That, or Stormbringer of the Elric novels by Michael Moorcock.
LinaInverse
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Well, in this specific case it's a free ally spirit bound to a weapon focus via a unique enchantment. For your own ally spirit, you'd need to make it a stacked homunculus/weapon focus.

The benefit? Not much mechanically, although you could do the old Dancing Sword trick, and you could call it and it would come to you. Mainly it's for aesthetic reasons.

The problem I have with "not much mechanically" is that no mage in their right mind (certainly no PC mage) would spend the massive Karma investment for such a combo then. That leaves only mages that are insane (and have the GM's benefit of unlimited Karma) to create such items.

Yes, I'll grant you that it might be "interesting" for a campaign to introduce such items, but that interest would die a quick death if the items are all resoundingly negative and the PCs actively avoid ever getting near one. I for one am already leery about creating a Ally spirit as it is, given that it seems like sport for a lot of GMs to bend their mage over over after creating such a "partner". The last thing I need is for my weapon foci to go off into the sunset of Free Spiritdom, taking a huge wad of invested Karma with it.
Ancient History
AH quietly notes that this thread, like its predecessor, is not about making magical devices that make sense mechanically, but rather making devices that are outrageous and fun while being more-or-less within the rules.
DocMortand
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Well, let me dig into me bag o'tricks:
  • Hand-ground magical lenses for a prototype laser; with numerous possible military and industrial applications.
  • An experimental "wild zone" to encourage the development of telesma in a "natural" space within the arcology (in the interest of being self-sufficient).
  • A tortoise cyberdeck whose keys have been treated with astral-sensitive pigments, known as the Ouija Deck.
  • A highly experimental focus designed to act as a "mana battery," based on the Absorbing metamagic. It may be charged by the magician bonded to it by casting a spell into the battery, the number of dice it may hold equals it's Force. The bonded magician may access these dice as a normal Pool. Unfortunately, it tends to explode if overloaded.
  • A failed attempt at creating a vaccine for HMHVV based on the HMHVV-II strain; the sample induces HMHVV-II, but on death the subject manifests HMHVV-I. Researcher notes point out the myth of a werewolf becoming a vampire after they die.
  • Very small sustaining and anchoring foci, the largest the size of a pill, designed for prenatal adjustments and monitoring. The most useful being a dime-sized coin, implanted under the skin, which gives off a blue glow if the implantee becomes pregnant.

Danke, AH...I just know the runners are going to wander up there at some point so this gives me a few ideas of wierd things to find.

And Lina - it may cost a lot of Karma, so generally it's not wise for PCs to create these things - it's more for wacky ideas for GMs to use to inflict/enhance their players...vegm.gif
toturi
I'm still waiting for "By the power of Grayskull! I am the POWER!" biggrin.gif
Crimson Jack
Oh man, that gives me an idea for a Thundercats Ho sword. grinbig.gif
DocMortand
"Behold! The gaseous stench of Skeletor's Breakfast Burrito!"
-Robot Chicken. *chuckle*

Now there would be an evil item - The Breakfast Burrito of Doom.
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Oh man, that gives me an idea for a Thundercats Ho sword. grinbig.gif

You're thinking of the Sword of Omens & the Eye of Thundera at the hilt. Off-hand, I'd say the Eye has a bound spirit that utilizes vision- or sight-related Critter powers. Sorry I can't go into specifics right now, but it's after 2:30am & I need sleep.
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (BookWyrm)
QUOTE (Crimson Jack @ May 3 2005, 04:20 AM)
Oh man, that gives me an idea for a Thundercats Ho sword.  grinbig.gif

You're thinking of the Sword of Omens & the Eye of Thundera at the hilt. Off-hand, I'd say the Eye has a bound spirit that utilizes vision- or sight-related Critter powers. Sorry I can't go into specifics right now, but it's after 2:30am & I need sleep.

Am I the only person on these webboards who find Hanna-Barbera cartoons absolute drivel? And, moreover, am I the only person here who listens to jazz and watches indy films?
Oy, do I feel like a beatnik.
Ancient History
I watch Hanna-Barbara cartoons, indy films, and listen to jazz. Among other things.

[/edit] You're still a beatnik. Cut your hair and get a job, hippie!
hyzmarca
QUOTE (BookWyrm)

Bond spirit, probably.

Anchored Clarvoyance activated by verbal command "Give me sight beyond sight" and permenant Detect enemy/Detect danger/Detect Ally.
The extending ability and the beacon would have to be unique enchantments.

An adept who bonds the sword instantly has all of his powers geased to the eye. If the
eye breaks he becomes mundane untill and unless it is restored.

There are probably some other powers that the Eye had that I can't remember.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ May 3 2005, 01:29 AM)

Am I the only person on these webboards who find Hanna-Barbera cartoons absolute drivel? And, moreover, am I the only person here who listens to jazz and watches indy films?

No, no, and no. Although the ratio of crap to gold in indie movies is as high or higher than mainstream. Sorry, but it had to be said. Most things just suck.
Ancient History
Yeah, but "Henry Fool" definately had its moments.
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot @ May 3 2005, 08:08 PM)
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ May 3 2005, 01:29 AM)

No, no, and no. Although the ratio of crap to gold in indie movies is as high or higher than mainstream. Sorry, but it had to be said. Most things just suck.

That's true, but that's simply just because there's more of 'em. Movies like Dinner Rush and Big Night make up for all the rest. However, there is no way to make up forr Ben Afflek, period.
(NOTE: Dinner Rush could be quite easily made into a shadowrun. Watch the movie. You'll like it.)
Nifty Artifact:
Martian Cesti
(Named after the god, not the planet.)
These, at first glance, appear to be an ordinary set of leather straps studded with bronze, intended to be wrapped around one's fists.
In reality, the gloves are studded with orichalchum, and are weapon foci (count as one weapon) with force equal to the user's (UNADJUSTED) skill in unarmed combat or martial arts. (NOTE: The force of this item is NOT affected by cyberware or magical abilities. It is, however, concurrent with an Adept's Killing Hands power.)
However, whenever the character is attacked in melee combat while wearing the cesti, he or she must make a willpower (force of focus) test not to fight that character to the death. Every time the PC attacks, he or she may make another test to break free of combat, but whenever the character believes he or she may be at risk of attack, he or she must make a willpower (force+2) test not to put on the gloves. (NOTE: Gloves imply no other penalites, and work in conjunction with smartlinks.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012