Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: A Short Victorius War
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Tiredronin
21:13:10 Sunday January 7, 2063 - Spaghetti Palace - Auburn

Daedalus nods his aknowledgement as he slips the SMG under his jacket again. Then thinking at first to help Tenmou, but then noting the effort he was making to maintain composure Daedalus opts to let him walk out of the place with his dignity, but does watch carefully in case he falters.

Hearing the message from Virgil, however, he pauses a moment by the door and feigning reading one of the bills posted on the wall, reaches out through his bulky looking right arm and accross the radio waves to the rotor drone hovering over a building accross the street from the resturant, prepared at least to give direct orders before springing back to his own body to exit the resturant.

Sometimes I wish I could just give orders to my meatbod to move. Then again, I am not supposed to be coming INTO these situations... these urban operations are really pushing my boundaries.

He sends a message to Dragon to let him know why he may not be responding quite as quickly as would be desired:

"Watching from Talos till Virgil's clear."

And with that he settles comfortably into the drone while concentration just enough to keep his physical body from toppling over.
WinterRat1
21:14:05 Sunday January 7, 2063 - Spaghetti Palace - Auburn

"There's something magical out there, but my watchers couldn't track it down. I don't know how long it would take to find it, even if I could. It might just be a chance we'll have to take" Virgil's voice came over the radio into Dragon's head. He sounded a bit tired and worn.

Looking over at Daedalus, he could see the rigger had gotten the message as well, because he shrugged. "Physical is clear, I don't see any electronic or physical observation. It could have nothing to do with us."

The look the rigger sent to Dragon indicated he thought the same as the mercenary. Not very fragging likely. But still, what were they going to do, sit in the foyer for hours?

Turning to Tenmou and Erebus, he said in a low voice, "Coast is as clear as it will reasonably get. Let's go, we can discuss our next move outside."

Filing out, with himself in the lead, followed by Tenmou, Daedalus, and Erebus in turn, he immediately surveyed the surrounding area and began heading towards the car where Virgil was waiting.

While walking, he spoke quietly, "You can call me Dragon. I don't know if you brought your own transport, so let's figure this out before we all split. Are we meeting at this bar you mentioned Erebus, or are we going to meet your former employer first, as Tenmou indicated? Either way, our medico wants to get clear of here before they see you," he motions to the wounded Japanese, "just so we can be sure we're clear of the area."

Still walking, senses alert, he adds, "If we split, odds are good we won't be able to meet up together again for a while, so now might be a good time to make that decision."
Cedric Rolfsson
21:14:06 Sunday January 7, 2063 - Night Time Street outside the Spaghetti Palace - Auburn

"Dragon, thats chill. I got a bike waiting, which I'll take. I figure we can post-pone running down the employer but I've got to warn my fixer who set this job up. They could be in danger too if the Johnson is looking to tie up loose ends."

Erebus scanned the dark streets while he talked, keeping his attention on the restaurant behind them.

"I propose we take separate routes to the bar and then meet there, I've got a place in mind to use as a base of operations and I'll look into that as well. Let me give you my number so we can communicate if the need arises and you should give me a way to get ahold of you as well."

Already he was thinking about the web he would have to weave. He'd need to get ahold of his Detective Watts his contact on Lone Star's OC division and drop him word about what went down tonight, in a manner that didn't implicate any of them. Dropping unsolicited information on Watts before he could learn it elsewhere would mean the Detective would be more likely to share information with Erebus in the future and would value Erebus more as an informant. He'd also need to call Max and give the old fixer a warning, mixed with a touch of threat, to make sure that the fixer wasn't involved in this double cross. Erebus felt reasonably sure that Max would come through with whatever he knew or could find out about the Johnson since fixer's who got a reputation for setting their runners up didn't survive long in the shadows.

Erebus knew it was important to find the Johnson who set him up and drop an equal amount of trouble in the fragger's lap. He was new in town and it was important that word in the shadows got around that Erebus was no one to frag with. Yakuza boss, mafia don, it didn't matter; someone would have to pay for the double cross or pretty soon it would be open season on him and the other runners. Amanda would never have the chance to re-pay him for running out on her if that happened, he wouldn't last a nanosecond.
Shadowrunner13
21:14:08 Sunday January 7, 2063 - Night Time Street outside the Spaghetti Palace - Auburn

Tenmou looks at Dragon and Daedalus and says, "If you have someone capable of healing my injuries, I would accompany you. I should return to my vehicle to retrieve my equipment first, however. I will return momentarily."

Heading across the street, Tenmou walked down the street a short distance before ducking down an alley. He followed a short but twisted series of narrow alleys before finding the rear parking lot where he had parked his vehicle.

He unlocked his car and retrieved the duffle bag with his guns and Daisho before locking the car again and returning the way he came.

Re-emerging from the alley way, he walked over to the other runners. "I am ready."
Cedric Rolfsson
21:14:08 Sunday January 7, 2063 - Auburn

Erebus discretely slid his Predator into its holster and straightened his jacket.

The other runners were gathering together, ready to leave and he wanted to get off by himself and digest what was going on. He'd take his bike and cruise out the area discretely on the way to Tacoma.

"Alright then, we'll rendevous at the Depot in Tacoma at 22:00:00. We'll talk from there."

He gave Dragon and Daedalus his phone number and then drifted off into the shadows to where he'd parked his bike. He'd take a round-about way out of Auburn while looking for a tail and use the opportunity to make a few phone calls.
Cedric Rolfsson
21:54:01 Sunday January 7, 2063 - The Depot - Tacoma

Dam Max for not answering!

Erebus dropped his kickstand and parked his bike in one of the diagonal parking spaces in front of the Depot. He swung his leg over and stretched for a second, taking the time to scan the dark streets around the bar. The air smelled strongly of the Puget Sound and the chemicals dumped by the local businesses who found the plex's environmental laws too confining. The whole dock area ran twenty-four, seven so the area looked more like dusk than darkness. The Depot was a simple single story brick-facade building, showing the wear and tear of the local acid rain and the local spray paint jockeys. Erebus took a sec to study some young artist's colorful rendition of a well endowed troll preforming an anatomically impossible function involving a sheep, a fish, and a bag of golf balls then headed for the front door outlined in cheap neon lights.

He'd taken a long time winding his way out of Auburn and spent most of that time on the phone, calling Max and Detective Watts with what he'd learned tonight.

He'd managed to get into the secure message drop for Watts and leave enough info to suggest that one of the Yak clans had made a move on Vinnie this evening. Mentioned that the Mob-man had survived an attempted hit at the Spaghetti Palace and would likely be looking for revenge. If Watts took his data to his bosses and got a pat on the head, or even some info concerning what was going down, then he might be willing to share later.

Erebus had really wanted to touch base with Max, to make sure the fixer was really on the up-and-up as well as getting Max started on tracking down who the Johnson was who'd set both of them up. Despite numerous calls all he'd been able to do was leave a couple of terse messages warning the old man of the possible danger and requesting an immediate call back.

Inside the Depot was a simple rectangle bar with a raised area for a pair of pool tables in one corner. Designed as a no-frills watering hole the bar itself occupied the space in front of the entry and a group of dirty tables and dark booths took up the area to the left of the door. Behind the bar was a window for the grill, Erebus watched a cockroach the length of a .50 caliber round crawl away from the door towards the dubious safety of the kitchen and doubted he'd ever be hungry enough to eat food prepared in this place. A zoned looking norm manned the bar in a desultory manner and a bar maid peddling bar contained temptations along with the drinks leaned against the synth-mahogany and buffed her nails. Other than that the place was empty.

"Hoi, gimme four mineral waters and a Henry's Private Reserve." Erebus gestured to a large table in the corner near the door to the bathroom.

The waitress eventually wandered over with her tray and her impressive cleavage and took a half hearted swipe at the table with a dirty rag.

"Hoi handsome, you lonely?" Her voice betrayed her experience if not her age, roughened by nicosticks and hard drinking. Close up she looked time worn and tired, and her smile was far more sad than seductive.

Erebus ignored the smile and the offer and kept his face distant and cold.

"I'm expecting company and privacy. Leave the drinks and breeze." He slotted his credstick into the portable reader and put transferred twenty-five nuyen to cover the drinks and a tip.
WinterRat1
21:57:19 Sunday January 7, 2063 - The Depot - Tacoma

Arriving at the dirty, run down bar Erebus had chosen, Dragon looked around carefully for any signs of trouble. Not that he had any particular distrust towards the young elf, but the way this week had been going...well, it was probably best not to take chances. After Tenmou had returned with his gear, they'd all piled into the car and headed off towards the Depot, doubling back and taking a long, convoluted route just be sure that there wasn't anyone following them. Daedalus had been running surveillance in his drones as well, so they had air cover there as well.

In the car, Dragon had placed a couple calls, tying up some loose ends and following some leads he should've been doing earlier, but for whatever reason had just slipped his mind. Inexcusably sloppy, but at the same time he'd kind of been like that for the last few days. You need to get some edge man, get your edge back. Can't go on like this, reacting instead of acting, being responsive instead of proactive. Gotta get on top of your game and back on track.

Virgil had also cast some healing magic on the Japanese man. Although Dragon hadn't been able to see the results, he hoped that it was sufficient to stop the bleeding and maybe get the man back on track for the time being.

After that long, silent car ride, they arrived at the bar and entered. Spotting Erebus in the corner, Dragon headed over to him, with Tenmou side by side and the rigger and shaman flanking. Keeping a close eye out for trouble, he plopped himself down across from the elf and took a bottle of water with a nod of thanks. "All right, looks like we all made it one piece. How about you two start at the beginning, and let us know what you can about what's behind this mess we all seem to have found ourselves in?"
banditf50

Setting himself down next to Dragon, Virgil tries his very best to put on a look of high confidence to supress the ache behind his eyes. Since summoning the initial city spirit as support not even two hours ago his headache has grown from a dull throbbing to a piercing pain.

Maybe I just need a full eight hours tonight. I'll ask Dragon to take my watch for me.

Words to reassure a mind that already knew it's aliment was far from ordinary. Virgil knew that many times before he had thrown out for more mana than in the past few days, and still had bounced back quicker . . . now he was getting nervous.

Lazarius, please go and watch our car for me and let me know if you notice anyone taking interest.

That minor task having been taken care of, the lanky shaman stood up and offered his hand to the bulky and militant looking man across from Dragon.

"We were never formally introduced, my name is Virgil and I am sure that my role is already quite obvious to you by now." Perhaps they could all use a little humor at the moment . . .
Shadow

The residents inside the bar hardly bat an eyelash as the team filters in one by one. The few other patrons give the new comers their privacy, lost in their own worlds of booze and drugs.

---

Outside the Spirit circles the vehicle quietly, moving through the astral like a fish through water. It notices a brief movement in the shadows and wanders if it warrants a report to its master. As no one approaches the car, or looks to hard at it he lets it go...
Cedric Rolfsson
21:57:21 Sunday January 7, 2063 - The Depot - Tacoma

Erebus looked over the newest member of the crew, Virgil and wondered what exactly he did do, as he slid bottles of mineral water to everyone and kept the beer he'd been sipping.

He's gotta be the mage. They've got enough muscle already and I don't see any datajacks.

He gave the newcomer a short nod in greeting.

"Hoi, I'm Erebus it a pleasure to meet you."

He looked over all the other runners and gathered his thoughts, trying to organize things in his own head before he spoke.

"Look, it looks like we're all going to be stuck in this deal together, at least for awhile. I think it makes sense if we take some time and work out an actual plan instead of half assing our way through this deal. Vinnie set a time table that I'm comfortable ignoring but you've still got an interest in getting this moving quickly."

He nodded his head towards Daedalus.

"It sounded like your chummer there got stiffed on a delivery. I got set up to secure the delivery of a package in exchange for a small fee and walked into that shooting gallery. I got an interest in finding the slag who set me up and taking my fee out of their hide. I think we should join forces."

Erebus looked around the almost empty bar and then back at the crew.

"It looks like another war might be starting between the Yaks and the Mob. If that's so then there is an opportunity for us to make some nuyen and a rep. Personally I need to establish both and I'm looking to join a shadowteam that'll help me do it. I'm not going to try and hide the fact that I'm new to the Seattle shadows, I'm sure you'll be checking me out the same way I'll be quietly checking you out."

"I'm not cool doing this in public and I got a doss we can use as a base of operations. I wanted to meet here to give me time to make a couple of phone calls to check you out and to make sure we weren't followed. Best I can tell we weren't followed and I have enough data to trust you enough to show you the doss. Its nearby and would allow us more privacy and security than this. I'm willing to put it into the public domain so that we can get settled in and," he looked significantly at Tenmou, "those of use who need to can rest and get back on their feet."
WinterRat1
21:59:17 Sunday January 7, 2063 - The Depot - Tacoma

Dragon looks at Virgil with an eyebrow raised questioningly, seeking the shaman's opinion, while simultaneously transmitting to Daedalus, "Seems legit to me. He's got no reason to double cross us and get us gunning for him too. What do you think?"
Shadowrunner13
21:57:21 Sunday January 7, 2063 - The Depot - Tacoma

"Konnichiwa. I am Tenmou. Like my associate, Erebus, I was contracted for what was supposed to be a simple delivery job. I was not my intent to complicate your plans and for that I apologize. I do share Erebus' sentiment and would like to join forces with you. 'Questioning' my former employer is high on my priority list."

Tenmou turns toward Virgil. "I appreciate your efforts to heal my injury. Arigatau."

"Though I am still in some pain and rather tired, we should not delay too long, if we wish to contact our employer. They may be watching the news for evidence of Vinnie's death. If they see the piece about a shoot out at the restaurant for 'a botched assassination attempt', our one lead may go underground."

Tenmou manages a smirk. "I'd hate for Erebus' opportunity for stress relief to evaporate."
Cedric Rolfsson
21:59:30 Sunday January 7, 2063 - The Depot - Tacoma

I hate discussing these things in an un-secure setting like this but Tenmou may be right. We're on under a severe time constraint on this gig.

"I agree we can't go too long on this deal if we want to connect the dots. Still, I've already started making calls to the fixer who put me on to this job so we'll need to at least wait for his call back."

Erebus looked around to make sure no one was paying any particular attention to the quiet conversation.

"The only lead I know that we could pursue now is the florist where we picked up the package. That's back in Auburn. If the order came either in writing or over some kind of computer system we need to get ahold of that to track backwards from that end as well as chase the Johnson who contacted my fixer."

He looked at Tenmou, then around at the others at the table to gauge their reaction.

"I've also got some connections who can look into this missing delivery if I can get them some details as to what went missing and when? If you're comfortable sharing that with me then I'll work my contact, who is in Lone Star. I can't connect you directly to my contact since it puts everyone at risk but if you're give me details I might be able to find out something."
banditf50
23:50:30 Sunday January 7, 2063 - The Depot - Tacoma

"I agree about moving locations. After our recent surprise i'd rather be behind closed doors for any further discussion."

receiving a nod of approval from Erebus the shaman turns his gaze towards the door to the grimy bar. "If you'll excuse me for a moment I'm going to take a quick look around outside and see if our exit is clear."

Leaning back into the worn back-rest of his chair Virgil took a deep breath and focused on floating up and out of his physical body, like he had done an uncountable number of times before. But this time something was very wrong. Virgil could see his vision shift away from the physical plane, he even felt the familiar sense of relief when he astral form began to return to it's home plane, but that is where what was familiar ceased to be. As if tethered by the strongest of monowire, Virgil's spirit was yanked back into the meat form that it had just began to vacate.

With a noticeable wince Virgil's eyes snap back open, only to be greeted by the gaze of four very nervous sets of eyes. In one word Dragon summed up what they all were thinking . . .

"Trouble?"

"I can't project right now. Not sure what's going on."

The nervous looks turn towards agitation . . .

"As backup I've had a spirit watching outside since we arrived, and no trouble has been reported yet, but I'd get a sensor scan out there to be sure." Virgil shoots over to Daedalus, anxious to try and asses what is wrong with his mana.
Cedric Rolfsson
22:01:08 Sunday January 7, 2063 - The Depot - Tacoma

Trouble? How, I know I wasn't followed, unless whoever did the following was a fragging mage. Or maybe they heard our conversation in the restaurant. Either way, trouble would be bad.

Erebus quietly slipped his chair back away from the table to give himself room to move and surreptitiously loosened the big Guardian pistol in its holster at his side.

No more fragging around tonight, anyone causes me trouble and they get one in the head. I've had it with this drek.

"If there is a problem I didn't arrange it." He wanted to make sure that other runners knew that he hadn't set them up. He'd picked this bar because he knew where it was and figured that the Mob wouldn't be that aggressive in Yak territory. If he were in their shoes though he'd be wondering about a set up.

With that realization Erebus carefully slid both hands onto the edge of the table in plain view of everyone else.

It'd suck to get shot for nervousness by my allies when there are so many people who'd rather shoot me for a real reason. I'd better make it clear that I'm willing to back my mouth with the rest of my body.

"If there is a problem then I'll be the first one out the door. I picked this site, which means I'm responsible for what goes down, so I'll take the risks."

Erebus looked around at the other runners, knowing that such a statement at such a time was a good way to cement trust and loyalty among people who rarely trusted anyone. He was willing to back it up too, he had to show he had real courage and was willing to put it on the line if he expected others to put in all on the line for him.

As sometimes happened in tense situations, his mind sought refuge in irreverence and he spoke with a wiry grin and a gesture towards the filthy grill area.

"Besides, I'd rather face a panzer round than go into that kitchen."
WinterRat1
22:03:13 Sunday January 7, 2063 - The Depot - Tacoma

"Daedalus, check it out with your eye in the sky. I don't to walk into another ambush, I've already met my quota for the week."

Scanning the restaurant slowly, Dragon notices how the young elf is obviously trying to show he's played straight with them. Nodding, he smiles slightly in acknowledgement of Erebus's words and implicit intentions.

"Stay cool. We'll just have to go electronic for now." He motions with his head towards the rigger. "He'll be right back with us, give him a second."
Tiredronin
22:03:45 Sunday January 7, 2063 - The Depot - Tacoma

Nodding quickly at the rapid development of the situation around him, and still a bit disturbed about Virgil's report, Daedalus slips his mind into the LTA drone hovering outside far above the building to scan for any sort of trouble.
bclements
22:04:10 Sunday January 7, 2063 - above The Depot - Tacoma
Daedalus makes the jump into the drone, hovering silently over the run down bar. Just after jumping in, for a fraction of a second Icarus's sensors notice a slight shimmer, across the street from the bar. However, it occurs at the same time that the drone is buffted by a gust of wind, sending pollutant particles and waste material blowing down the street. A second look at the area shows nothing amiss.
Tiredronin
22:04:20 Sunday January 7, 2063 - above The Depot - Tacoma

Daedalus blinks and rubs his eyes, or at least he would have if Icarus had eyes to blink and hands to rub.

"Dragon, I think I saw something accross the street, but its gone now. I'm going to Talos to investigate, not certain it is anything but be prepared just the same."

And with that Daedalus jumps to Talos with a brief lurch of his sensations jumping to his faster moving and more heavily armed rotor drone hovering above The Depot.

A brief milisecond to adjust, then he flies out accross the street, only dimly aware of the body he had left sitting in a resturant several meters below, and cautiously closes in on the location that he thought he had noticed the shimmer.

bclements
22:04:25 Sunday January 7, 2063 - above The Depot - Tacoma

Jumping across to Talos, the rotodrone manuverers off, switching from gently hovering to agressively manuvering, checking the area. Sighting in on the anomolous reading, Daedalus strains the sensors to maximum uptake. The chin mounted gun imposes its crosshairs on...

A devil rat, chewing on what appears to be a discarded piece of ferrocrete from the forlorn building across the road from the bar.
Cedric Rolfsson
22:04:15 Sunday January 7, 2063 - The Depot - Tacoma

This is turning into a really long day.

The tension from just waiting for the rigger to report back was enough to have Erebus' boosted reflexes a hair away from kicking on line. He wondered whether these runners believed he might have set them up or not, and wondered whether one of them was setting him up.

He looked straight into the cold distant eyes of the big gunsel across the table and tried to read his expression. If Dragon felt any tension it didn't show in his expression, he looked almost bored with the waiting, as if he were looking forward to a fight.

"Hey, look guys, in case something goes bad and we get separated I want you to know where the safe house is, just in case. Its in Milton, about twenty minutes away, apartment 36A in the Sunset Apartment building. Underground parking. Its got no building security but the residents don't ask questions and its functional." He leaned in close to whisper the entry code for the Maglock he'd installed.

"If we get separated we should meet there."

The doss in Milton was registered under his Gus Jensen ID but he'd been careful to keep that ID separate from himself. If these runners turned out to be positive then so be it, if not he'd simply write of the Milton doss and call it good. He made a mental note to move most of his possessions out of the apartment and store them in his bolthole for awhile.
Tiredronin
22:04:40 Sunday January 7, 2063 - above The Depot - Tacoma

With mixed degree of relief and still lingering apprehension, Daedalus watches as the devil rat pauses to fix at the drone hovering above with an annoyed stare, then pick up its prize and meander off.

Taking a moment to rescan the rooftops and street for anything suspicious, Daedalus reports in:
"Ok, doesn't look like there was anything out here, I'm going to say we're clear to move. But you know the drill, stay frosty."

Looking around one last time, then giving Talos instructions to alert him if anything happened, Daedalus makes one more lurching jump back into his real body.

Cedric Rolfsson
22:05:05 Sunday January 7, 2063 - The Depot - Tacoma

Dragon blinks once then shoots a glance at Daedalus before returning his attention to the rest of the crew.

"Daedalus reports all clear, lets head out."

The big runner's voice could've been used to frost the dirty beer mug that sat untouched on the table in front of Erebus it was that cold. He seemed utterly untouched by the tension that had Erebus' nerves singing. He rose smoothly, moving like a well-oiled machine, and Erebus could practically hear the micro-hydraulics and servos shifting.

"I got point, just in case." Erebus wanted to make sure that no one thought his speech to be an empty gesture, so he got quickly to his feet and moved towards the door.

Tenmou, Virgil and Daedalus all rose in turn and the team fell into place easily. The Japanese man was still hurting, you could see it in the way he moved, but he refused to allow his injuries to interfere. He assumed his place, moving into a position where he could support Virgil or provide the magician with cover if things went bad.

Considering we've known each other for less than an hour this team seems to be falling together nicely. A little practice and some pre-planing and we'd be a pretty scary bunch in a dust up.

Erebus opened the door to the Depot and paused in the doorway, knowing he was outlined like a target in a shooting gallery, taking the opportunity to scan as much of the street as possible for anything that might be amiss. Even his thermographic enhancers failed to note anything that caused him alarm. It looked quiet. He cleared the doorway and moved directly to his Scorpion where he could take cover, speaking over his shoulder as he exited.

"Okay fellas, we'll see you back at the doss, any problems and you got my number."
bclements
22:05:15 Sunday January 7, 2063 - The Depot - Tacoma

As Erebus and Dragon file out, several things happen simultaneously. A ghostly form materializes in front of Virgil; the watcher spirit cries out “There’s something out there!” Acting on the watcher’s warning, Virgil, pushing his way past the other runners to the door, opens his eyes up to the astral, and sees the remnents of a dome of astral energy across the street and down a bit from the bar. Several figures, including a bright aura at the center of the fading dome, are visible behind the dark form of a car.

At the same time, Talos beeps in to Daedalus’s link, announcing a large heat bloom coming from across the street, incoming to very near his current location

Dragon catches the flash almost as quickly as Talos, thinking Not again to himself as he sees the tell-tale exhaust of a rocket, inbound to the bar…
WinterRat1
EDIT: Deleted
banditf50
EDIT: Deleted because the free action should not have occured at this time.
Cedric Rolfsson
22:05:017 Sunday January 7, 2063 - The Depot - Tacoma

A flash and muffled low pitched scream drew Erebus' attention just in time for him to see three people standing behind a vehicle across the street to the east of their position who hadn't been there a second before when he looked out the door. He took in their presence with some thing of a shock, positive he'd scanned that area, maybe a tenth of a second passed before his mind registered an all too familiar flash.

A rocket? That can't be a rocket, who'd be shooting rockets in the middle of the plex? Wait a minute, that rocket is coming this way!! Holy frag!

Panic and fear screamed inside him and he fought the urge to duck behind the nearest car and cover his head until all the bad men went away. Savagely he shoved the fear aside, he had no time to be afraid now.

"CONTACT 11 O'CLOCK LOW!"

Erebus barked out the warning in the lingo of his old merc unit, and hoped that the others could figure it out. I was something that he'd hoped to work out with the others if they ever found three seconds where they weren't being shot at.

Instinctively he bolted, away from ground zero, across the street towards the cover provided by an alley between two buildings near where the attackers had lain in wait.

His boosted reflexes kicked on line, providing a rush of adrenaline that left him feeling like the world was moving through molasses and that he could leap tall buildings. Even while he was moving to cross the street his right hand found the grips of his Guardian pistol and loosed it from its holster. He half turned as he ran, shoving the Guardian across his body, trying to hold his smartlink's targeting reticule over the torso of one of the people behind the car while running. More hoping to force the other man to duck than believing the shots likely to inflict any damage he squeezed off two quick rounds at about the time he leaped from the street and over the sidewalk.

The next instant he completely turned his body, facing back almost the way he came, to take the impact of the dirty brick wall against his back. At the speed he was moving slamming into the wall felt like being kicked by a Troll, and the air in his lungs left with a loud rush.

Erebus figured knocking the wind out of himself was far preferable to being at ground zero for the missile or the ambush and probably wouldn't even leave a bruise through the armor jacket and armored combat vest he was wearing. He could feel the Void settle over him as his training and his cyber took over and the fear that threatened to choke him was pushed fully aside.
bclements
22:05:17 Sunday January 7, 2063 - Outside The Depot - Tacoma

The shots from Erebus's large pistol boom in the night. Running across a street in not that good light does have an effect on his aim, however. Only one shot comes close to the nearest goon, and he slides away from the bullet that richochet's off the hood of the car.
Shadowrunner13
22:05:17 Sunday January 7, 2063 - The Depot - Tacoma

Upon hearing Erebus' warning, Tenmou casts his eyes towards the back of the bar and settles his gaze on the door leading to the kitchen. He looks at Virgil before taking off running for the doorway.

He ignored the surprised and annoyed look he received from the kitchen staff as he burst into the less-than-spotless kitchen and began scanning the room for a rear exit.
WinterRat1

Seeing Erebus crossing the street, Dragon absently noted that the elf was fast. Really fast, and at least in this instance, even faster than he was. The Japanese was no slouch either, even though he was wounded. Competent, these two were. Still, he wasn't slow either, and he was already moving towards their car, out of the way of the missile and just as important, his shotgun inside. There was almost certainly going to be more than one wave of incoming, and he wanted to be ready for round two.

As he ran, he transmitted to Daedalus, "Missile incoming. Evasive action now!" At the same time, he pulled a grenade from his vest, yanked the pin, and let it fly towards the cluster of three hostiles across the street, while shouting, "Hostile incoming our left!" He could only hope they'd hear that and notice what he had, one goon crawling up the street to their left, obviously angling for a better shot.
bclements

Seeing the grenade fly over his head and the very fast movements of his opponants, the first attacker aims and fires a burst at Erebus, hoping to cut him down before the quick moving elf can get an angle on him.
banditf50

Astonished at how blazingly fast the one called Erebus is, he'd rarely seen anyone move faster than Dragon in combat, Virgil snaped into action and began his own dash away from the impact site of the missle. Bolting along the wall of The Depot he tries to place the corner of the dilapidated building between him and the impact site before turnig to face the enemy.

Gotta keep my side in sight, who knows what type of spirit offense is floating around out there. Centering in on the opposing mage Virgil knew that he had a fleeting window in which to strike first, and perhaps prevent a return magical assualt. Using thoughts of protecting his friends the shaman tried to push past the pain that had been gripping his head all day, and just let the energy shoot out of his concentration.
banditf50

Noise. Static. Whatever one wanted to call the disruption, somthing was obviously acting directly aginst Virgil's ability to hear the call of his spell within his mind. Virgil was a shaman, casting for him was not about recalling the exact way in which two contourting mana streams were composted into a projection of power, it was about hearing the call that all mana has around him. . . .

Now that call was muffled, as if trying to hear a friend's voice during a hard rain. Virgil could hear the mana around him, but things seemed to echo and distort, and it was obviously getting worse the more he tried to use his power.

Though the effort required to put out his spell downright scared Virgil, there was no denying that he had indeed removed the enemy mage from the battlefield. On the astral plane Virgil's powerbolt had went screaming through his hasty defense as surely as the AVM earlier today had gone through Dragon's car. The spell being physical in nature meant that anyone observing could clearly see the mage fall back a pace as the shock of the incoming mana left charred gouges in his chest.

He must've been distracted by the illusion magic he had been sustaining. I would never have managed a second spell at this rate.
Tiredronin
22:05:18 Sunday January 7, 2063 - (The soon to be ex) Doorway of The Depot - Tacoma

Before he can respond to the warnings called out, Daedalus watches as his team vanishes around him, clearing out of the way giving him a great view of the incoming rocket and its smoke trail.

He feels a twinge of envy towards those who are able to react with such heightened sensibilities at any given moment as he lets his bodily instincts take over. Daedalus whirls around and dashes back into The Depot diving behind the bar for and calling out, "EVERYBODY GET DOWN!"

In the midst of his dash Daedalus begins reaching out through the radio waves emanating from his cyberarm to the drone he had just too recently threatened a devil rat with.

Time to tap into my speed.
Tiredronin
22:05:18 Sunday January 7, 2063 - Outside The Depot - Tacoma

Successfully extending his senses to his mechanical avatar, Daedalus vaguely feels his body land on the ground behind the bar as he whirls Talos around scanning for any other threats.

No drones? that can't be...

Then spying the long tube in front of one of the gunmen he thinks to himself:

This is too simple...

Nevertheless he does observe with relief that nobody is standing in the doorway which he can now clearly see from outside, as well as the rocket streaking toward it.
bclements
22:05:19 Sunday January 7, 2063 - Outside The Depot - Tacoma

Seeing the mage of the group utterly flattened by Virgil’s powerbolt and Erebus dodging the burst aimed at his head, the rest of the group of goons reacts, hoping to shoot down their foes and get out of the way of both Dragon’s grenade and another powerbolt from the shaman.

The enemy on the far side of the car begins running across the street, simultaneously firing a burst at Erebus, hoping to get rid of the closest threat and getting in better range to deal with the new-found magical threat that smoked his comrade.

Meanwhile, the first-firing goon takes off toward the rear of the building that Erebus is running towards, hoping to keep from getting flanked.

The goon that Dragon and now Erebus saw crawls toward the edge of the building adjacent to the Depot. Readying his SMG, he’s only able to squeeze off a single shot at Virgil’s fleeing form, trying to eliminate the obviously powerful magician in the group.

Cedric Rolfsson
22:05:21 Sunday January 7, 2063 - Tacoma Demilitarized Zone

The sharp whine of bullets ricochetting off the building around his head still screaming in his ears Erebus steadied his hand and calmly squeezed off two quick shots at the suddenly revealed gunman lying prone across the street from his position. Out of the corner of his eye he tracked another bad guy scurrying from their ambush site to support his exposed teammate and a small voice in the back of his head tallied the bad guys, and noted that at least two were unaccounted for in his current field of fire.

Deep in the Void he felt only the vaguest stirring of unease, knowing that his back was exposed to anyone coming up the alley behind him and that the building that sheltered him also created a large blind spot over his right shoulder, but the gun in his hand was like a live thing seeking out additional prey.
bclements

Erebus, despite running and only just now seeing the form of the attacker on his right who had just missed Virgil, still had both bullets strike home into the side of the flanker. The attacker was knocked sideways, and blood begain streaming from his sides.
Tiredronin

Talos's scanner sweep did not reveal any blimps of doom in the area. His sense of paranoia satiated for the moment, Daedalus observed the battle unfolding beneath him.

He noticed one of the assailants moving behind the building Erebus was using as cover. Unable to communicate with him directly, Daedalus transmitted a warning to Dragon:

"Advise Erebus, bogey flanking."
Shadowrunner13

Tenmou located the rear door and barged through it doing a quick sweep for hostiles. Seeing none, he slid his hand inside his duffel bag and liberated his Smartgun. He made his way toward the corner of the bar, hearing the staccato of exchanging fire.

Tenmou peers around the corner, searching for hostiles. He clings to the shadows playing on the wall, doing his best to remain unseen until he has a clean shot.
WinterRat1

Calmly Dragon moved to the car where the Franchi Spas was stored in easy reach. He'd come prepared for things to go absolutely fragging south. The grenade exploding behind the cars was proof of that. As was the shotgun he would soon have in his hands.

Good thing I came prepared. I don't think the grenade got any of those fraggers but at least it flushed them out in the open. Let's see how they handle it when their opposition is playing for keeps too.

Hearing Daedalus's message in his head, he immediately yelled, "Erebus incoming your right!" and hoped the mercenary would understand the message being relayed.

Opening the car door and grabbing the Spas and its ammo belt, he quickly looped the ammo belt over his shoulder, and pumped the gauge, chambering a round. Turning around back to the fight, he allowed himself a tight smile. Party time...
bclements
22:05:22 Sunday January 7, 2063 - Tacoma Demilitarized Zone
Dragon's grenade goes off with a loud BOOM that makes the small arms fire that preceeded it seem, well, small. The car that blocks most of the explosion lifts up slightly at the back, and begins to catch fire. The light from the fire provides a reddish tint to the rest of the block, exaggerating some shadows and removing others.

Meanwhile, the one that Daedalaus had picked out as the possible rocketeer had moved to the back of the building and was still running while switching clips on his gun, hoping to put enough space between the grenade's blast and him while.
WinterRat1

Setting himself, Dragon quickly checked to see if he was outside of the anticipated blast radius of the missile, and decided to move himself to his right to extend his margin of error for keeping himself out of the blast zone, as well as giving him a clear shot at the opposition.

Definitely don't want to get caught by the missile. I can live without getting nailed by that.

Running to his right, he smoothly raised the shotgun, took aim, and fired a shell at each of the opposing goons remaining.

Definitely not the best shots I've ever taken, but it'll give them something to think about, at least.

Throwing himself against the corner of the building on the far side of the street, he used the corner to provide some small cover from the goons he saw, as well as any unfriendly forces further to his right that he might not be able to see. He chambered another round into the shotgun, the gauge making a satisfying *cha-klack* sound. Next shots, you fraggers are going down for the count. Bet on it.
Cedric Rolfsson

"Erebus incoming your right!"

Instinctively, the young elf whirls away from the two goons he had been firing on to engage the enemy to his rear. The roar of the shotgun Dragon had retrieved told him the two in the street had things to worry about now which left him free to find the one trying to flank him.

We want prisoners. Dragon and the others can handle the duo in the street and I want to know who set us up. How these fraggers found us, and who sent them.

He sprinted down the alley, hoping to catch the flanking unit by surprise. As he ran he holstered the Guardian and pulled his Predator to take advantage of the non-lethal rounds it carried.
bclements

After making it across the street, pivioting, and running back to the alley on the north with what seemed like supermetahuman speed, Erebus checked the alley for the attacker that Dragon had warned him about. Even though his vision was a little flashed from Dragon's grenade and the resultant fire from the car, the thermographic and low light enhancements to his vision more than compensated for both the flash and the quick look down the alley.

He didn't see much, just a normal garbage strewn alley with the usual old dumpsters, along with the ubiquitous devil rats and at least one cat-sized thing lurking around. Most were running or hiding after the explosion and gunfire; regardless, there was no sign of the flanker that he'd been warned about.
Shadowrunner13

Tenmou had his submachinegun at the ready to come to the aid of his companions. He prepared to pop out and open fire, when a sound reminded him of something...

The high pitched whine of an incoming rocket.

Finding a dumpster not far away, Tenmou shielded himself from any potential fallout from the impact. He was ready to spring into action the moment the blast cleared.
bclements
22:05:23 Sunday January 7, 2063 - Tacoma Demilitarized Zone

Sheltering himself at the corner of the bar, under a plywood boarded up window, Virgil summons the two watcher spirits to him. Check for any magically active people out there! his astral presence intones.

Even though the act of asking seemed much more like running through quicksand than the usual sprit through air he normally felt, the watchers returned almost as quick as he had bidden them off. Materializing, one says "There is one, but they are already injured, laying against a building." At that moment, the rocket inbound to the bar goes off with a thunderous BOOM

The two chipheads closest to the door vaporize in front of Daedalus's eyes, or would have if he had looked at them. Instead, crouched behind the upturned table, he feels the pressure wave of the explosion, as the table (with him behind it) is pushed violently back against the wall. Opening his eyes, he sees the doorknob of the building implanted halfway thru the cheap plastiwood table, directly across from his head, then the moans of a few people that lived through the impact.

Virgil is luckier, although seeing the cheap, old plywood flys through the watcher spirits and impacting on Dragon's vehicle doesn't do much for his feelings. The sheet of wood, after leaving a good sized dent in the vehicle, falls to the ground with an almost obscene plop in the silent aftermath of the explosion, then the car alarms start...

Behind the bar, Temmou only notices the explosion via a bright flash of light, followed immediently by the thunderous noise from the high explosive rocket. The rear door is blown open, and the cook he had just passed is blown out of it, slamming against the wall of the building behind the bar.
Tiredronin
22:05:26 Sunday January 7, 2063 - Tacoma Demilitarized Zone

Daedalus shook his thoughts away from that doorknob and once again fully in Talos, he looked into the alley Erebus was creeping down and saw the goon on the other side of the corner creeping along as well. It would be like one of those trid cartoons where two characters peer around the corner at the same time, blink, rub their eyes and look again.

Then one would blow the other one away.

Daedalus wanted to make darn sure that the one blown away was not Erebus

"Advise Erebus hold, goon is right around the corner."

Whatever Dragon said, he hoped it wouldn't be too obvious...
Cedric Rolfsson

The walls of the building blurred past as Erebus ran towards the rear of the building, keeping the building close on his left shouler so that if an enemy showed himself down the alley he would have an extra half second of warning before their weapon lined up on him. He kept the Predator in an easy firing position ready to line up and shoot at the first sign of the flankers that Dragon had warned him about.

As he got closer to the corner he slowed to a stop just short of the next corner, blading his left shoulder towards the blind corner and drawing his pistol down to his right hip to keep his weapon from being grabbed.
Shadowrunner13

Tenmou glanced back at the cook, but resolved himself to move forward.

Help will come...I have to clear any remaining hostiles...

He crept forward, up the alley, with his SMG at the ready. Should any enemies try to make their way into the alley, they would be met with force.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012