Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Guns, Germs, and Steel
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mallet
"From what i can tell all of the undead have been destroyed. Ether by the blast or perhapse because the magical forces that created them is no longer present."

He gets up and heads over to the side of the building, "There is a fireescape here."

He climbs over the edge and makes his way down the rusty and badly damaged ladder to the alley below.
Whizbang
The fact that Daniel was using the fire escape, rather than the magic that had gotten them to the original building was telling. Though Darien knew better than to ask the proud shaman about his condition. He just needed to keep an eye out for him, eliminating what strains he could without drawing undue attention.

He followed his friend down the firescape, heading for the rubble. He didn't know if he wanted it to be a hard or an easy task to pick the stones out of the rubble. Easy could easily mean that there was something there guarding them...
jklst14
Stark suppressed the urge to pump several bullets into the crouching figure. Who knows, maybe he's a friendly? he thought to himself. Attempting to stay hidden himself, the dwarf would slowly approach on foot as to get a better view of the stranger...
gobogen
As Stark approaches, he sees a young man of standard height and weight, wearing black pants and a jacket, kneeling on the ground obviously in pain.

When Ben sees the dwarf approaching with a revolver in hand, he takes a few steps back by reflex and holds his hands in front of him.

"Don't shoot me", Ben says kind of pointlessly, in a low voice.

Knowing he only had a few words to explain himself, Ben quickly adds as he slowly walks towards Stark: "I believe we're here for the same reason: to kill the mages. There is no need to fight each other."

When they are closer to each other, Ben introduces himself. "You can call me Storm. I have overheard that your name is Stark. Nice meeting you. You seem hurt and I can try to heal you a little bit before we go on. Don't be afraid of me: if I were to kill you, I would have done it when you were prone and still couldn't see me." Stark recognizes the voice as the same he first heard moments ago.

"I believe the ritual might still be taking place in this general direction [points to it]. We must hurry."
jklst14
Stark relaxed slightly, lowering the streeline special just a tad so it was no longer centered on the stranger's forehead. Maybe it was the hard hit he took to the head but the dwarf felt strangely inclined to trust this stranger. Hell, it's not like I have much of a choice... he thought to himself.

"Storm, eh? It's good to meet you.... Stark replied with a groan of pain as he clutched his side. "Now what's this you say about healing?
gobogen
Storm smiles sympathetically to Stark and takes a quick glance at his injuries. He touches Stark and concentrates until some wounds have been healed, but not all.

"I can't do much better for now but it should help. Now let's get moving, I fear that every second counts. We must find the remaining mages and put an end to all this once and for all."
jklst14
Stark groaned softly as he felt the magic coursing through his body, his broken flesh slowly knitting itself back together. Better but not perfect, he thought to himself as he rose to his feet.

"Good as new..." he grunted in reply to Storm as he clutched his side in pain. His vision swam slightly but he could certainly still pull a trigger. "Now lets go kick some ass..."
mallet
Darien and Daniel reached the ground and cautiouly made their way towards what remained of the building. A slight breeze, a wonderful thing in the muggy heat of the evening, was slwoly clearing away most of the smoke from the explosion and the few remaining fires. All the smoke that is, except for the billowing collum in the center of the blast site.

"Strange" muttered Daniel, "See how the smoke swirls and shifts, yet it never leaves that area. Something must be keeping it confined there..."

Darien nods in agreement, but his attention is pulled away when he spots Stark and someone else, making their way through the rubble, not too far off.

"Look!" He points them out to Daniel, "It looks like our dwarf friend survived the blast and made a new friend..."

Whizbang
"Good to hear...if those casters survived the blast...or whatever they summoned worked, we're going to need all the help we can get." Darien said, continuing to pick his way towards the disturbance on a path to bring them up to Stark and friend. "I see you made it." he commented as he caught up with the pair.
jklst14
Spotting Daniel and Darien, Stark waved in greeting. "Glad to see you guys made it out okay." he replied with a cough while clutching his aching side.

"And this guy is, ahem, Storm. He says he's hear to kill the same bastards we're after so I figured that's good enough for me..."
gobogen
"Let's hurry. Every second might count if we want to stop them in time."

And Ben/Storm headed towards the smoke at a confident and regular pace, not even looking behind him, assuming he would be followed.
mallet
The four of you cautiously make your way towards the pillar smoke, as you get closer to it the air temperature seems to drop, something that would be nice and refreshing in this heat, if it didn't cause you to worry even more about what you may find up ahead.

Darien stops suddenly as his foot comes down on something soft and squishy. He looks down and shudders, "Ah geez..." He stepped in something... something that used to be inside someone else.

As you take a closer look around at the rubble nearby you begin making out more bodies, well body parts, scattered about the ruins. It's impossible to tell, without taking a longer look, exactly how many people it once might have been, and that's really not a jig-saw puzzle that you would like to put back together.

What does catch your eye is a few parts here and there of cyber arms and legs, sticking up haphazardly from the rubble. It's strange, because those mages who were chanting didn't seem to be the type who would have this much cyber. In fact you would be hard pressed to imagine any magic welders getting these types of implants. Where did they all come from? Were other people here apart from you and the mages? And if so, what were they doing?

A minute later you arrive at the pillar of smoke.

From this close it is really something spectacular to see. It is like a black vortex of smoke, swirling rapidly, but contained as if by an invisible barrier. Completely silent, it must measure at least 20 feet in diameter and goes up to at least twice that in height.

The four of you stand there, starring into the vortex, wondering what might lie inside...
gobogen
Storm stops his resolute walk abruptly, confused with what's right in front of him. He doesn't have a clue about what might be happening inside the barrier made up of both smoke and magic. Throughout all his studies of magic and conjuring, never had he come across anything of that magnitude.

Frightened and intrigued, Storm stands there, watching in awe, unable to decide on what action to take.
Whizbang
Darien didn't need to be magically active to know that he was seeing something weird. "I don't even want to know..." he commented to himself, though knowing they were indeed going to have to investigate closer. Picking up a fist sized piece of rubble, he tossed it at the vortex, hoping to be informed ahead of time if it would zap him or anything if he got too close.
mallet
Everyone watches, unconscious holding their breath, as the rock arcs through the air towards the smoke.

So, it is bit of a let down (although also a relief) when it seems to pass through into the smoke with out any issue and immediately vanishes from sight.
Whizbang
As the rock apparently hadn't been disintegrated, or instantly attracted any watchers, Darien warily moved closer to the vortex, looking to see if the Stones were still around.
jklst14
"Holy frag..." Stark muttered under his breath as the dwarf studied the swirling vortex. With keen senses, he studied the smoke. Steeling his stomach, he decided to take a gamble and take a look on the astral....
mallet
Stark is just switching his vision to the astral, when Daniel grabs his arm, breaking his concentration, "Don't! The magic here is powerful. Viewing it from this close could be... dangerous..."
gobogen
"He's god damn right, I tried it and.... it wasn't pleasant at all", Storm adds with an expression of pain on his face just from the memory.

"You know what? Maybe we should watch from a little bit farther away. I sure don't want to mess with that thing."

Storm takes a dozen steps back, turning his head frequently so not to miss anything.
jklst14
Stark stops when Daniel grabs his arm, the dwarf raising his eyebrows questioningly as he listens to the other man speak. Seeing Storm join in agreement, the dwarf nods slowly in understanding.

"Got it. No astral. So what do we do next, then?"
Whizbang
Standing near the smokey pillar, Darien wondered just what was causing it. He didn't pretend to understand even half of what he heard about magic. But so far, this seemed fairly benign. He was standing here, the rock had passed through without ill effect, and it didn't seem to be trying to draw him in. The magic users didn't seem to be able to make anything out of it with their senses. He gingerly reached out to test it with his own.

[ Spoiler ]
mallet
As Storm takes a a dozen steps back, Darien takes a few forward. Against his better judgment, and comon sense, he slowly reaches out his hand towards the disturbance...

It gets closer and closer...

Until...

Nothing. His hand reaches the edge of the effect and finds no resistance. He probes a bit furthers and his hand enters into the smoke. Darien feels a strong, warm wind on the otherside but nothing else of worry. He pushes his arm in up to the elbow, feeling around blindly in the smoke, but he touches nothing but air.

He pulls his arm back out, with no trouble and apparently no ill effect, save for a brief puff of smoke that come with it, but that is quickly blown away in the light breeze.

He looks back at the others and shrugs, "Now what?"
jklst14
"Hey, that might not be such a good idea..." Stark began to say as he watched Darien stick his hand into the smoke. Seeing the human emerge apparently unscathed, the dwarf arched a thick brow curiously. "Well, shows how much I know... What did it feel like?
gobogen
"If you're up for it, just walk inside that thing. It's not much more risky than what you just did. If it's safe, walk back out to let us know and we'll all go in and investigate together."

Storm was not gonna take any risk with this thing, although strangers could do what they wish. No harm to him, all the better.

Even with his egocentric inclinations, he kept an empathic look on his face that showed concern for the others' life.
Whizbang
Darien was pleasently surprised to find that his hand hadn't dissolved off, or his body possessed by some malevolent being. "Okay, so that wasn't the smartest move...all I felt was a strong, warm wind." Though the curiosity was still biting, he wasn't sure he was ready to indulge it that far yet.
gobogen
"It was a bit stupid, but now that we know your hand didn't get hurt, maybe our faces won't get blown away either so what about just going in?" Storm points out. "Do you think the wind is strong enough to pull a man up in the air?"
Whizbang
"Don't think so, but only one way to know." Darien replied. It had been a bit more reassuring to hear Storm suggesting the further exploration in a more serious manner. Taking a deep breath, and once more wondering about the wisdom...and sanity...of his actions, he stepped into the smoke.
mallet
Darien vanishes from sight as he enters into the smoke. After a moment, Daniel follows after him.

[ Spoiler ]
gobogen
"What the heck?"

Storm decides that he doesn't want to miss this and that it might not be that foolish to go in after all. Who knows, it could have been only an illusion.

And Storm steps into .... the storm.
jklst14
"I don't think that's such a good idea...." Stark began to say as he watched his colleagues vanish into the smoke, one at a time.

"Oh frag, why the hell not..." he mumbled to himself, taking a sip from his hip flask as he stepped forward into the rising pillar.
mallet
The bitter smoke brings tears to Darien's eyes as he walks through it. He holds his breath, but even still the acrid smell reaches his nostrils and a strong wind tugs at his body. But after a few steps it all fades away and when his eyes clear he finds himself in an eerie and surreal situation.

He is in the "eye" of the storm. All around him the wall of smoke swirls like a tornado, but here in the center, all is calm. The air is lit up with a pale bluish/gray light emanating from the smoke. In the pale light he notices's three things almost simultaneously.

First, the ground is still covered with the rubble and remains from the destruction of the building, but also on the ground in front of him are the bodies of two men who look as if they died while locked in combat. One of them is one of the mages who was part of the ritual, all covered in black robes. The other is a strong, cybered up looking man. Tattooed and scared. He must have been a very rough customer in life. Now in death, he just looks tired.

Next, he spots a large dark hole leading down, deep into the earth.

And finally, and most startling is the naked man...

The naked man magically floating four feet off the ground, arms stretched out to their furthest extent...

The naked man who appears dead...

The naked man who has a long, pure black sword buried in the exact center of his chest and pushed out through his back...

Darien's attention is diverted when a moment later Daniel steps out from the smoke and only a few seconds after that both Storm and Stark join them.

The three of them slowly take in their surroundings, both happy to be alive, but also worried about how long they may stay that way.
Whizbang
"Curiouser and curiouser." Darien remarked as he took in the hole in the ground. "Looks like someone else crashed their party a bit too late to stop them." he added in reguards to the dead. He wondered once again just what it was that the Stones had gotten him into this time. As the stones weren't here, apparently they would have to continue on down the hole. "So...anyone else feel like being the sacrificial lamb?"
jklst14
"What the holy frag?!?" Stark exclaimed as he stepped inside the swirling vortex. The dwarf gaped at the sight before him, eyes wide as his gaze shifted between the dead combatants to the floating dead man. Noting the tunnel, he takes a step forward and peers downward, wondering if it was large enough for a person to fit through...
mallet
Stark moves closer to the center of the circle and stares down into the orc sized hole, his keen vision picking out the bottom, 10 or 15 feet below. "Look's like it drops into the sewers." He tells the others. "I don't see anything else down there."

Suddenly the foot of the floating man, just inches away from Stark's face, twitches rapidly for a instant.

Stark leaps back, barely holding in the startled, some would say girlish, scream that almost breaks his lips. He looks back up at the suspended man, and now focusing his attention on him, he begins to notice very slight and subtle signs of life. "I... I don't think this guys is dead... But he should be."

That ain't no lie, the sword goes all the way through him, but now that you are paying attention, you notice the lack of blood flowing from the wound, or in fact any sign of injury on the body. As you watch the pure black sword flickers and gleams with some sort of mystical energy.

"Bloody hell..." Stark mutters under his breath.
gobogen
Storm is fascinated by what he sees. The place they are in is very strange and smells of powerful magic. He sees the man and the sword and wonders what is causing that. He figures that the sword must be holding some kind of spell, but that it obviously has little harmful effects for now.

The life of the man floating might be saved if the sword is taken out, Storm reflects. He also wants to investigate what this strange black sword is and discover what properties it may have.

Storm reaches to touch the sword with the intent to grab it by the hilt and pull it out of the body...
jklst14
"I have a bad feeling about this." Stark muttered under his breath as he watched Storm reach for the sword....
mallet
Daniel was over by the hole, glazing down into the darkness, making sure no attack was going to be forth coming from it's depths, which is why he does not notice Storm's actions until it is too late...

Storm slowly reached towards the black sword until his fingers were just a hair's breadth away from it's hilt.

stark winced in anticipation (and pain, he was still quite badly hurt), while Darien crouched down, ready to react to whatever might happen next.

With sudden resolve, Storm grabs the sword's hilt and pulls it free from the man's body. It slides out cleanly, like a hot knife through butter.

Free of the sword the naked man drops to the earth, crumpling up at the impact. He lies there somewhere between conscious states, then suddenly lets out a gasp, twitches, and appears to fall unconsciuos. Daniel leaps to the side of the fallen man and begins to mutters words of magic under his breath.

With all eyes on the naked man, the team fails to notice Storm reeling with the sword, with seems to be pulling and tugging at his grasp. Trying to break free of his hand.

To his credit, Storm is not giving up easily. He grips the hilt with all of his strength, trying to exert his will as well as his muscle over the pure black weapon. The raw magical energy pouring out of the weapon is like a drug. He feels the rush of power the sword puts forth coursing through his body.

Finally noticing Storm's actions the group turns to see what is happening to him, and their eye's fall on a disturbing sight.

Storm is bathed in a black metallic glow, which flickers and sparks off of him like unholy fire. His eyes are jet black like the sword he struggles with and an evil grin alights his face.
jklst14
"Oh frag! Stark exclaims as he watches the scene unfold before his eyes. There was something wrong with that sword. Uncertain what to do, the dwarf took a step backwards, drawing his pistol. "Storm! Drop the sword! he yelled at the top of his lungs.
gobogen
Storm is possessed by a force out of his control. His eyes now appear black with dark energy and appear to be intensely staring at something far, far away.

Storm is battling on the inside as madness fills his spirit. There are no thoughts but he sees things that cannot be described. His imagination and dreams are wild with strange ideas. Concepts go through his mind in quick flashes... Darkness... Power... Destruction... Beauty... Hatred... Happiness... Despair...

Storm flails the sword about wildly a few times before he finally puts it above his head in a stabing position, holding it tightly with both of his hands. Everyone is looking at Storm in fear he might stab himself or go after someone else. For a frozen moment, everything seems possible.

Finally, after a struggle with his own desires, his own devils, and the intoxicating influence of the dark sword, the usual, enigmatic, green glow of his deep eyes is restored. Storm manages to toss the sword a foot or two away from his body which instantly goes limp when the sword leaves his hands.

The black shroud of unconsciousness overcomes Storm immediately and it feels like heavens by contrast with the Darkness he has just encountered. His head falls directly to the ground and there is no movement, no sound as he collapses.

Deep down, Storm feels an incredible loss.
Whizbang
When he had mentioned the prospect of a sacrificial lamb, he had been thinking more of the unexplored passageway. He had dismissed the sword, having thought of it being more important to pursue the mages that had escaped. However, the sword had drawn Storm's attention.

Seeing the power that flared, he was reminded of the odd force that had surrounded the Stones while he was watching the ritual. Had they been transformed into the sword? If so...

Fortunatly, before Darien could pursue that thought further, Storm managed to throw off the power of the sword, and tossed it away. "Ohkay...mabey it's better if I do the testing..." he commented as he went to touch the sword. If his theory was correct, the sword would hold no power over him.
mallet
Darien's hand closed over the black hilt of the sword, it was cold, almost frosty to the touch. But he felt no surge of power, no intoxicating rush. To him it was just an unnaturally cold, black sword...

He looked over at Stark and Daniel, "Interesting..."

Suddenly, the Naked Man gasp's and sit's up, causing everyone to jump back from him. His wild eye's dart around frantically, stoping only beriefly on each of you.

He leaps to his feet with a speed and grace that is surprising, well maybe not so surprising given the amazing physical condition his body is in. He is not overly large, with huge "he-man" muscles, rather he looks lean and strong, with almost no fat on his entire body.

He stops and looks around the area... "Where am I...?"
Whizbang
Finding his theory proved was rather anticlimatic. Darien half wished there had been something flashy like what Storm experienced. But here he was with his burden once more. Albeit, now in a different...and more awkward form. He hadn't had much practice with edged weapons. Of course, he wasn't overly sure he wanted to be fighting with this thing.

Darien started as the sword's victim spoke. "Where are you...well, you're in the middle of what was once a warehouse, and ground zero for a rather explosive application of ritual magic that apprently you were a centerpiece of."
Kaosaur
"Ground zero for explosive ritual magic? I...I don't follow."

Nervous as a cornered, scared animal, I glanced around to gauge my surroundings. Things didn't look so good. I stood on the balls of my feet, looking around, ready to spring out of there at the slightest hint of danger. I was scared. Really scared. Where was I? Who are these people? ...And what are they doing here in this mess? I swallowed down some of my fear and gained the sense of mind to start asking some questions.

"Who are you and what am I doing he...?"...and suddenly a dreadful thought crossed my mind. A question that had no immediate answer. I cried out from the horror of it.

Forget who they are.
Who...am I?
Whizbang
"I'm Darien. Was hoping you'd know how you got here. Apparently those mages grabbed you and stuck you with this sword to complete their ritual. How you managed to live through it, let alone not even have a mark to show is beyond me." Darien explained. Hopefully this guy could either be helpful or would get himself out of the way. As interesting as the mystery of how this guy was still alive was, they still had some ritual casting mages on the loose.
jklst14
Stark stood by and gaped at the naked man, the nearby sword now forgotten. Scratching his beard and taking a swig from his hip flask, the dwarf introduced himself.

"You've had one hell of a night, stranger. Everything Darien said is the chip truth and we're curious how you got all mixed up in this matter. By the way, my name is Stark."
Whizbang
"Anyways, you have a name, or are we going to wind up calling you 'Hey You'?" Darien added.

[ Spoiler ]
Kaosaur
The Naked Man struggled to think. "I'm...I'm...I am. I don't know."
Muddling over the idea for a few more seconds. "Forget who I am for now. I exist at least and that's all we have to go on for now...So call me Ego."

Ego realized that the only clue he had to find out his true self were these strange chums before him. Checking himself over, Ego admired his physique "You said I was pierced with some kind of sword? Well shit on me. Tell ya what. You show me this sword you're speaking of and I'll believe it..and maybe we'll help each other find out what's going on here."

"Oh and by the way...Can we get me some clothes?"

[ Spoiler ]
Whizbang
"That would be this." Darien said, indicating the black sword he had been holding, though he didn't offer to let the stranger touch it. He would need confirmation from one of the others, but the guy was probably magical in nature if the ritualers wanted him. "For clothes...might be bloodstained, but one of them might fit you." he said, indicating the bodies. Thinking of the sword, he was reminded of Storm, and went to check on the unconsious mage.
Whizbang
Seeing that Storm was alright, albeit unconsious, he turned his attention back to Ego. "So...what do you plan to do now? We have some mages to track down." Ohkay...what was he thinking now? They had the stones back, albeit in a new form...did they really have to get any further involved in all this? "Finding anything?" he added to Daniel.
Kaosaur
"Well, if it's alright with all of you, I think I'll tag along. These mages or whatever have the best chance of telling me who I am...And come to think of it, I may have to take that information by force. Hopefully we can pick me up some stuff on the way. Starting with that ..." Ego points over to a robe, picks it up and checks it out as he puts it on. "This will just have to do...for now."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012