Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damaging a vehicle
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Luca
My usual interpretation of damaging a vehicle was:
a) the power of the weapon is halved and the damage code down by one level (unless AV ammunition)
b) To obtain the target number for the body test of the vehicle one has to subtract the armor value form the already halved power of the weapon. If the armor value is similar or more than the halved weapon there is no body test because the weapon is just useless (this is different from normal metahuman combat where there is always, at least, a tn of 2).

NOW I have a doubt.
Re-reading SR3 page 132 I've noticed that it is said:
"...vehicle armor is hardened armor, meaning that it can deflect all damage from Weapons with a Power (modified by the Vehicle's body but not by burst or autofire) equal or less than the vehicle's body..."
What does it mean "modified by the vehicle's body" ????
From what I know Body usually modifies nothing but it is used to roll dices just to resist the damage!!!
Furthermore : THERE IS NO SENSE In doing AUtofire on a vehicle if it is not counted??????
What the hell I have to do?

Any canon explanation?
hahnsoo
"Modified by the Vehicle's Body" means the halved power and the one level of Damage Level reduction. So if you shot an Ares Predator at a Car, it does 4L damage, and if that Car has 4 points of Vehicle Armor, it does no damage.
mfb
autofire is useful against vehicles if the base damage code of the weapon is enough to overcome the hardened armor. if one bullet can pierce a vehicle's armor, ten will do more damage.
Luca
OK, but How to treat autofire and burst fire VS a vehicle?
If I well understood, the bonuses to power & damage codes for auto/burst fires are added after the power has already been halved and has passed the armor rating (if it has passed) ??

So an example to explain my interpretation:

1) My UZI iii (6M damage) is usually burst fire so usually it goes to 9S.
2) No I want to fire my UZI III against a Lone Star Honda Turbo (armor 1).
3) The damage of the UZI III is diminshe, power halved and damage code scaled down, dso the damage goes from 6M is reduced to 3L.
4) 3L is more than vehicle's amor 1, so it can goes and hit the vehicle.
5) IN any case, like in any normal combat one has to do power - armor to determine the TN for the Body test. So 3-1=2, Damage staged to 2L.
5) Now, according to my interpretatiopn, I can add the burstfire bonus, that means that my final damage will be 5M and the final TN for the vehicle will be 5.
Am I right?
Is my interpretation canon-faithful?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Luca @ May 6 2005, 06:49 PM)
OK, but How to treat autofire and burst fire VS a vehicle?
If I well understood, the bonuses to power & damage codes for auto/burst fires are added after the power has already been halved and has passed the armor rating (if it has passed) ??

So an example to explain my interpretation:

1) My UZI iii (6M damage) is usually burst fire so usually it goes to 9S.
2) No I want to fire my UZI III against a Lone Star Honda Turbo (armor 1).
3) The damage of the UZI III is diminshe, power halved and damage code scaled down, dso the damage goes from 6M is reduced to 3L.
4) 3L is more than vehicle's amor 1, so it can goes and hit the vehicle.

It's fine up to here.

5) IN any case, like in any normal combat one has to do power - armor to determine the TN for the Body test. So 3-1=2, Damage staged to 2L.
6) Now, according to my interpretatiopn, I can add the burstfire bonus, that means that my final damage will be 5M and the final TN for the vehicle will be 5.
Am I right?
Is my interpretation canon-faithful?
Now you take the 9S, halve it and reduce the damage level by 1, for damage of 4M. Then you reduce it by armor (1 point) to a 3M. Roll vehicle body against 3M damage.
mfb
edit: repeat everything in hahnsoo's post in this space.
Luca
So, Hahnsoo, you say to halve the power first to determine if one hits the target (and do not count the burst fire bonus) and then, if that number hits, starting again, counting the burst-fire bonus but halving the damage (andstaging by one the damage code) again?
I feel this interpretation to be more complicated......but I have the feeling also that the rulebook does not state clearly which is theright intepretation and both yours and mine should be right.....
(an example in a rulebook would be really appreciated......I hope there will be more examples in SR4, even if I will not buy it due to lack of money ).
In any case, Hansoo, can you quote any example in any SR book which clearly support your interpretation?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Luca)
In any case, Hahnsoo, can you quote any example in any SR book which clearly support your interpretation?

Nope. I looked throughout Rigger 3, SR3, and even delved into some past sourcebooks. The section in the back about updating Rigger 2.0 to SR3 rules basically says the same thing without the (unaugmented by burst fire or full-auto fire rates) section. It is frightfully under-notated for such a critical and ambiguously worded rule (probably because they simply cut and pasted the Rigger 2.0 section into SR3 and added a single paragraph to the rules about halving the power).

By the rules, you halve the Power of the attack, period. Burst fire adds +3 to the Power, not a "+3 to target numbers of Damage Resistance tests". Because the Burst fire (or full auto fire) is a Power adjustment, you halve it as well when it is rolled into the damage code of the attack. The unaugmented part is simply reiterating the general rules for hardened armor (base Power vs. hardened armor, just like a Barrier rating).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012