Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dragon names
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Abstruse
Okay, I'm going to try to make a comprehensive list here...

Hestaby - Orange Queen
Ghostwalker - Dollmaker
Celedyr - Stone Diver
Dunkelzahn - Far Scholar
Lofwyr - Gold Master
Mujaji - Rain Queen

That leaves Aden, Lung, Masaru, Rhonabwy, Ryomyo, Alamais, and most of the other dragons profiled in Dragons of the Sixth World in the last section as unnamed as far as I can tell. Then again, I've also only checked Dragons of the Sixth World and Survival of the Fittest. Can anyone fill in the gaps, especially for Perianwyr and "Damon" (those two are important for a project I'm working on...top secret nyahnyah.gif )

The Abstruse One
Raén
Alamais was named Elfbane during Earthdawn.
Abstruse
BTW, speculation on good names for dragons that aren't mentioned in canon sources are welcome.

The Abstruse One
booklord
Sirrurg who may well have been Usun in Earthdawn times. Personality matches. Coloration matches. Interests match. If so then his other name is "Vast Green".
Abstruse
Confirmed. Laughing Man calls him such at the end of his post in Dragons of the Sixth World. Something to the effect of "Hunting the hunters".

The Abstruse One
wienerwürstchen
nachtmeister ( NIGHT MASTER ) grinbig.gif
booklord
Only great dragons seem to have this alternate, social name. "Damon" and Perianwyr may not have them. In the online Earthdawn Dragon book, Mountainshadow consistently refers to other great dragons (unless they're dead) by their nicknames but when he talks about adult dragons he uses their normal names.

As to when great dragons get these nicknames.... I'd say they probably take these names when they achieve great status though it seems that they can take new ones later. For example Ghostwalker being named "Doll Maker" may be a reference to his creation of the drakes and Alamais's "Elfbane" is obviously a reference to his habit of munching on elven royalty.
Abstruse
BTW, Lung = Wind Master. Missed that one earlier.

So adults don't have nicknames? Damn, there goes that motive...

The Abstruse One
SCLariat
It seems the "conversational" names are bestowed upon the greats by their peers, instead of themselves. A great dragon like Dunkelzahn picks his own name, but other dragons bestow names like "Far Scholar" on them. The reason could be that "naming" is a big deal in ED. The dragons want to avoid all appearances of attempting to gain power over someone's true name, and so that could be an explanation for this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012