Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do your deckers communicate
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bearclaw
Do I need a headware radio with a transducer to stay in touch with my team? Or, is there a better/cheaper/easier way?
Talia Invierno
Telecomm programme is another option ... don't know if I would call it "cheaper" though ...
wagnern
Um, I don't know, coulden't you put a radio on your deck. I don't think there is any rules for it, but it would make sence that a decker could do it with a little creativity, some radioshack bits, and a relatitivly simple program. Maby the GM could let you. Wait a minute, don't deckers get multable turns for every turn in the meat world? That would be a problem. Maby you could send them messages, that would be played back at a slow speed so they could understand them, and their replyes could be recorded and played back faster for you. We are talking major lag here.
Bearclaw
wagnern> I think you've got the right idea. I'd still need a transducer, but the radio itself can be on the outside. A multi data jack should take care of that. It's way cheaper to buy radio and scramblers outside of your head. Not to mention how much cheaper it is to upgrade what you've got smile.gif
hobgoblin
just pick up the matrix sourcebook and look for the tranciver option in the cyberterminal construction chapter. no need for anything else as it allow the user to communicate via radio...
Luca
It is so strange that such an important topic has not been so exploited by Shadowrun authors.
Sometimes ago I asked the same thing and it came out a woderful topic called "Matrix & Reality".

You can find it in

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...=7219&hl=matrix

You can resurrect it, put another answer and continue the discussion from the point we left it.
Numerous solutions appeared: radios, drones with cams, telecoms, videocams, simsense like in Neuromancer, etc...
Enjoy it
Dissonance
My decker had a fliptop video screen on his deck that displayed a checklist of things he was trying to do. When he'd do one, he'd put a checkmark up.

If he needed to talk, he'd scroll words.
Edward
I plug a personal radio into my deck and have a pissy little program that translates the physical radio plugged into a deck port into a logical radio icon I carry around in the matrix, this is not in the rules but it makes sense.

Alternatively I use a com call program to call the team on there hands free cell phones and we use a conference call to stay in contact threw a run.

The problem is that you loose initiative in the matrix if you chat with the meat world however

Edward
Akai Sokata
I plug a personal radio into my deck and have a pissy little program that translates the physical radio plugged into a deck port into a logical radio icon I carry around in the matrix, this is not in the rules but it makes sense.

Alternatively I use a com call program to call the team on there hands free cell phones and we use a conference call to stay in contact threw a run.

The problem is that you loose initiative in the matrix if you chat with the meat world however

Edward

I like that edward, but do you link the radio to yourself via datajack or datalinetap connecting it to the deck. personally I use a headphone with a Commlink program.
Talia Invierno
Hmm, how are you dealing with this wrt differences of cost for equivalent equipment? What I'm thinking about is the differential in cost of computer memory between desktop/pocket/wrist/headware: which ratio, I'm thinking, might be appropriate to adapt to any kind of electronics within the context of game balance.
mfb
according to Matrix, you can modify just about any piece of electronics to interface with your deck. i would actually assume that most consumer electronics come with built-in FUP adapters.
wargear
According to what I have read, about 90% of all communications in the 6th world utilise the matrix. Why then would your decker, allready in the matrix, divert his communications outside of the matrix?

Answer: He wouldn't. The cyberdeck is allready equipped with everything needed to interface with the virtual reality of the matrix. It is a simple matter of having a utility installed in his deck designed to interface with the matrix directly.

As an example, a virtual phone, a program that emulates the signals a regular phone in the real world sends through the matrix, allowing the decker to call people inside and outside of the matrix via the regular networks.
Talia Invierno
Hence, telecomm programme. But that's apparently not the focus of interest here.
hobgoblin
there is one problem with the telecom utility, and that is that it can only be used on RTGs, go fig...
John Campbell
QUOTE (wargear)
According to what I have read, about 90% of all communications in the 6th world utilise the matrix. Why then would your decker, allready in the matrix, divert his communications outside of the matrix?

Because using the Matrix for its actual intended purposes is hamstrung by the horribly broken metaphor built into the UI. If you want to place a comcall while decking a host, you have to back out of the host to the RTG, make the comcall, and then hang up and re-penetrate the host. Multitasking is barely possible; multitasking across different hosts is totally impossible. This is a side effect of using as the interface a metaphor that doesn't actually fit the reality, and then further confusing restrictions that exist only in the metaphor with real restrictions.

Specifically, the concept of "location" in the Matrix is a complete invention that has no bearing whatsoever on anything that's really happening. "Location" is just a metaphor for "which computer is sending bits back and forth with my computer". Making the metaphor act like the real-world concept of location, however, places unnecessary restrictions on its behaviour... for instance, there should be absolutely nothing technically preventing a deck from connecting to two or ten or a hundred different hosts simultaneously. But in the metaphor, you can only be in one place at a time, so the deck is restricted, for no real reason, to connecting to only one host at a time. Which means that if you want to access a different host - say, the RTG (and don't even get me started on the insanity that is manually routing all your communications through the Grid), so you can set up an audio stream connection to someone's phone - you have to disconnect from the host that you're talking to so that you can "be" somewhere else.

I blame Gibson.
Mortax
Um, twitches and drools a lot?

Seriously though, they use either a transducer or text on a flip up screen.
Necro Tech
If your team members are in the room, hook speakers up to your deck and talk to them that way. No extra stuff needed. Now waiting for your meat to move.

Long distance get a radio or telephone and make it DNI and plug it into your deck. If your deck is already DNI then you can skip the transducer and have your deck talk through the radio with some two bit text-to-sound programm.
hobgoblin
personaly i would not go attack multiple hosts at the same time, multitasking the human brain is bad. just try working on 2-3 diffrent documents while having a conversation over im and maybe by phone at the same time. things will slow down to a crawl as your wasting most of your time jumping from one task to the other and trying to remeber what the hell you where doing.

the only real problem with the comcall utility is that it specificaly states that it can only be used to place calls when on a rtg. locate calls that the decker wants to trace i can understand but placing a call? nothing that cant be houseruled tho wink.gif

i think this is one of the things they will try to solve with the new matrix in sr4. they are finaly dropping the gibsonian view of the matrix for one that works more like the real world.

and another reason for going after multiple hosts at ones, ICE. its the same thing that killed the germans in two world wars. multiple fronts. basicly your hit with multiple amounts of everything. having 3-4 attack ice at ones can play havoc with your status monitor (and lets not start talking about the rules hell it will be silly.gif )...
Jrayjoker
Meh, I just let the comcall utility do it and keep track of the memory used. I think it is a significantly small issue when it is difficult enough to have a decker interface with the team while in the matrix.
Edward
I would not want to fight at 2 points in the matrix ither but being able to look arount would be very usfull.

For example, I am performing over watch for the team and a question comes up,, what dose the international chemical code RJ428 mean, so I want to look up the national chemical register (quite willing to be a logged guest on this publicly assessable site) and also look up the same data on shadow land. (in case somebody has some interesting unofficial experiences, again I have access codes and wont need to worry about IC) while I look up this information I don’t want to log of the current host because I don’t have a postcode for re-entry.

Another reason would be when the teem is going to go threw arias controlled buy 3 d9ferent hosts and wants overwatch on all 3, you go into the hosts one at a time and create pass codes, after that you shouldn’t have to worry about IC and if you do you probably want to pull out anyway.

Edward
hobgoblin
keep a smart frame or agent around loaded with search ability. tell it to go fetch and forget about it wink.gif

as for keeping overwatch on 3 diffrent hosts, call in some favors on shadowland nyahnyah.gif
Edward
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
keep a smart frame or agent around loaded with search ability. tell it to go fetch and forget about it wink.gif

as for keeping overwatch on 3 diffrent hosts, call in some favors on shadowland nyahnyah.gif

Both those are workarounds.

I want to be able to do something more comparable to having 3 copies of my internet browser open. I think SR4 should includes the ability.

Edward
hobgoblin
doing overwatch is a bit more then keeping 3 browser windows open. its more like trying to watch 3 live video feeds (onsite cctv systems) at the same time, while listening to 3 diffrent audio sources (security radio coms, hidden mics) and maybe trying to read some braille (tactile feedback from asist traffic interpetations) at the same time.

and who knows what sr4 will include? given that they are tossing out the current matrix wholesale and trying to put the "decker" back into the onsite team i dont think so. but one will never know.
Edward
I don’t know about yours must my computer can play 3 videos at once (ok the sound doesn’t work but that’s because the sound card is dead).

It would be more like being in a CCTV controlled room with 10 monitors displaying your system of current concern and one monitor displaying each of the other systems so you get the critical updates (security going on alert) and can change over quickly when the team moves into the next aria (especially useful where your infiltrating the target and a surveillance satellite), trying to run active overwatch on more than one sight would be a fulls errand. Not because your deck couldn’t do it but because you couldn’t.

Edward
hobgoblin
i didnt say it could not be done. but i would apply a negative modifier to the deckers skill tests as he is distracted by other things happening. cctv isnt one man sitting and watching 10+ screens most of the time. if so the chance of discovering something while it happens is slim (alltho depending on the time it takes). what its realy about is the ability to go back after the fact and look at what happend.

yes your computer can play 3 video streams nicely but i wonder if your able to watch them all at the same time and get some useful facts from them.

ie, its the decker thats the problem, not the deck.
Edward
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
i didnt say it could not be done. but i would apply a negative modifier to the deckers skill tests as he is distracted by other things happening. cctv isnt one man sitting and watching 10+ screens most of the time. if so the chance of discovering something while it happens is slim (alltho depending on the time it takes). what its realy about is the ability to go back after the fact and look at what happend.

yes your computer can play 3 video streams nicely but i wonder if your able to watch them all at the same time and get some useful facts from them.

ie, its the decker thats the problem, not the deck.

3 movies I could not watch in any useful manner, but I can watch one and notice the interesting bits in the others (eg when the cameras in site 2 show an unusual level of activity from the security guards) you are right, there should be a modifier to checks maby +1TN on the primary system and +6TN on the secondary systems (one success is all you need to change primary systems and check it out)

however the rules don’t let you do this, you can however come close, set up an agent program in each system and keep a com call program connecting them, the problem is how well an agent can communicate with you, you would almost want to add a small unit tactics skill soft into it so it could recognise things that would concern you and that’s not canon ither.

According to the rules in the book you cant so much as keep a online programming guide available while your writing a program on a different host (in SR it would be necessary to download the programming text to your deck if you wanted to use it while using a different host to write the program.)

how many people hear have done something like this (this is a true example of what I have done)

simultaneously
chat using messenger program to 3 different people,
Write a program in java
Access online java function descriptions
Access online project specifications from uni
Check email (web based)
Play music file (could easily have been online streaming audio)
Active downloads from several other sights

As I understand the matrix rules you could not do all these things at one time.

Matrix char rooms are virtual bars located in a host you cant chat with different people without them seeing the other people you talk with.

If your programming on your home computer maybe it will let you do something else as well (with penalty to efficiency), if your using a host to help you then your virtual location is that host and you cant access anything from else wear without moving.

Because the text is not on the host your using to do your work you can’t access it, you could download it to your deck and then use it but you can’t access it from the host. Dito with the project description.

Web mail would be comparable to another host

I don’t know how streaming audio would interact with being on a host, probably not an issue

I believe you can not set up a download and then leave the host, you must monitor it as it downloads, this isn’t so bad because the download speeds are very good relative to file size but if you had a slow system and wanted some big files then having to be present for the entire downloading proses would be very annoying.

Edward
hobgoblin
ras override. pop the textbook on a chip and presto you have access to it.

still, im guessing that the basic programing skill test covers stuff like having basic documentation at hand. if you go programing suite then you have something similar to ms visual c++ or other tools that give you inline help for what your coding and the mainframe system is able to generate large chunks of code for you when you just define the parameters and then add small tweaks here and there.

mail heck, well thats a dffrent thing. it seems you cant access mail from a deck at all. but then mail have never been the big thing in sr it seems (atleast its never realy coverd anywhere).

the thing still is that your not trying to do it all at ones. try playing 3 soundtracks at ones and write down some of the text (if there is).

when you program and need to look up something you stop programming, look something up and then continue to program. what if the code you where writeing where changing while you where watching the documentation?

and downloads are background operations, ie, start and forget about it.

the thing here realy is that hosts dont allow you to access material on the host without a active icon on said host. ie, rather then now where you have all content streamed to you just by knocking at a port on the server in the matrix you create one connection between deck and host, log in if needed and then have the data streamed to you as asist traffic.

i have seen it again and again, trying to compare modern day internet with matrix basicly fails as there is a totaly diffrent concept to data flow. matrix seems to be closer to agents (small bits of code that float from server to server and hand your system data that match what its looking for) ratehr then what we have now. and even that isnt 100% correct.

the thing is that matrix tryes to make gibsons visions work scientificaly. but to do that one have to drop everything one knows about modern networking.

everything is prosessed on the host, the only thing the deck does is handle the icon (the interface to the host) and the datastream going to the asist. you do not get the raw sculpture data or the raw text file, what you get is the asist signals generated based on this data. sure one could in theory reverse this and get a working text document or similar but that would probably require another host.

experiencing multiple hosts would probably be like experiencing multiple places on earth at the same time. and that may even explain the crash of a reality filter and a hosts metaphor.

it may in the end be that the deck can only handle one asist stream at ones. i wonder what level of prosessing power one would need to merge the multiple asist streams that would be generated from accessing multiple hosts...
Edward
I know I wasn’t actually paying attention to all the things I was doing all the time. but when somebody sends a message the icon in the task bar starts flashing and there is a boing sound to inform me I have a message.

In SR just to know if there was a message I would need to log of the host, travel across an LTG (possibly several RTGs) and visit a different host.

I generally accept the limitations of the matrix but it would be nice to be able to do these things in the new version.

Edward
hobgoblin
and we may be able to do so, in fact i would be surprised if we cant given that total rewrite that they seems to be doing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012