Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Novels Confirmed! :D
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BookWyrm
The 'official' site posts that at least six new novels are coming, published by Roc (who published the previous series) & they will be 'side-stories', meaning they take place in the SR universe, but independent of the FanPro plotlines. biggrin.gif
Also, my friend Stephen Kenson (author of The Burning Time & Ragnarock novels, and the Awakenings supplement) is a confirmed author. biggrin.gif
FlakJacket
Eeeenteresting. Since I haven't read any of their work, has anyone read anything by any of the other authors?
hermit
Too bad you won't get translations from some of the newer German novels. The three I read so far are surprisingly good.
Eldritch
Steve Kenson's written 4 SR Novelss; Technobabel, Crossroads, Ragnarock, and The Burning Time

As well as:

Author: Awakenings: New Magic in 2057, Super Tuesday!, Portfolio of a Dragon: Dunkelzahn's Secrets, Underworld, Mob War!, New Seattle, Magic in the Shadows, Survival of the Fittest

Contributor: The Grimoire (Second Edition), Harlequin's Back, Threats, Shadows of the Underworld, The Shadowrun Companion: Beyond the Shadows, Target: UCAS, Target: Smuggler Havens, Shadowrun (Third Edition), Critters, Corporate Download, Brainscan, Target: Matrix, Year of the Comet. Target: Awakened Lands, Threats 2, Shadows of North America, Target: Wastelands, Dragons of the Sixth World, Shadows of Europe.

Odds are you've seen something by him. smile.gif

Bearclaw
Excellent. I love SR fiction. Looks like my collection will get a little bigger.
FlakJacket
Sorry, when I said other I meant the authors that BookWyrm hadn't mentioned - Stephen Dedman, Jason Hardy and Jean Rabe.
Pistons
FlakJacket: Jason Hardy wrote a piece of short fiction for the website, called Unmaking the Man. He's also written some fiction for Crimson Skies. Jean Rabe is better known for her novels for Wizards of the Coast; here is her site. Stephen Dedman sounds familiar, but I can't place the name -- however, I did find at least a partial bibliography that lists his work.
Mortax
JOY! More novels! (jumps up and does happy dance.)
Any word on when they come out?
Wounded Ronin
I liked that one novel that had vampires, lesbians, and lesbian vampires. And there was a troll with a vindicator minigun. And they also had a van, and the vampires had cyberwear!

Yeah, that was my fave.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
I liked that one novel that had vampires, lesbians, and lesbian vampires. And there was a troll with a vindicator minigun. And they also had a van, and the vampires had cyberwear!

Yeah, that was my fave.

Aaaaah.... somebody shoot me (or him) please! nyahnyah.gif
Critias
Don't forget the strippers.
hermit

Yeah, that was my fave.

I DO hope that was ironic. indifferent.gif

Lesbian troll vampires with cyberwear and a vindicator minigun riding a van ... nyahnyah.gif

Somene send that after the author of that book! biggrin.gif Not the strippers though. We can keep those in reserve, in case some of the new books turn out to be .... interesting.
mfb
no. not ironic. horrible truth.

the book itself wasn't bad; the writing was alright. but it didn't really have much to do with shadowrun.
Ancient History
Wounded Ronin: Mixing up two books there, I think. Don't forget the teenage sex-trip that was Nadja Daviar meeting up with Ryan Mercury, or the confusing affections of Romulus for Mysterious Elf Lady and Loyal Friend's Dog alike.

Ooh! Ooh! I know! Let's bring back the fifty-year-old elf with the sagging breasts whose daughter's half-sister was an ork *you thought your family had problems*
toturi
Terminus Experiment might not have a lot to do with shadowrunning, but it had much to do with Shadowrun.
Penta
Are you sure?
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Wounded Ronin: Mixing up two books there, I think. Don't forget the teenage sex-trip that was Nadja Daviar meeting up with Ryan Mercury...

Hey!

Some of us like large brown nipples.
EVLTIM
WOOT !!!!!! YES YES YES!!!!!1

grinbig.gif
hermit
Terminus Experiment might not have a lot to do with shadowrunning, but it had much to do with Shadowrun.

Not really. At least I personally loathe the Supers feel of the late American novels - starting about with Dragonheart, though it had been there right from the beginning (Twist, I'm looking at you!). A matter of taste really, but as far as I am concerned, this isn't Shadowrun, this is Champions with elves and orcs.
Grinder
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Hey!

[nerd]

you mean... in reality?

[/nerd]

biggrin.gif
PenAgain
It really pleases me to see more Kenson novel work. I adored Crossroads. I like his other books, but the first person in Crossroads really worked for me (despite the fact that I am usually ra-ra Third person.)

Do we know if this Trilogy from Steve will be the same trilogy he was writing (wrote?) for SRD, or if it is new material?

And I confess to a bit of nervousness in regard to "outside of the FanPro SR Plotlines." Does this mean the books are out-of-continuity for the game universe? I'm less keen about that.

--PenAgain
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Grinder @ May 13 2005, 04:59 AM)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ May 13 2005, 08:10 AM)
Hey!

[nerd]

you mean... in reality?

[/nerd]

biggrin.gif

I was specifically referring to the line(s) in Stranger Souls (the entire DHS), although for some reason it was a fun reference amongst a couple of users on SL (including one who later went on to write for SR) that was screwed up by joking about dark brown nipples for a long time.

DBN actually has its own cache on SL that means more than the correct wording. It's like the line in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance that is quoted in POAD:DS (although why in there I don't fully know. I never gave it a lot of thought): "When legend becomes fact, print the legend."
Grinder
Ahhhh....yeeessss... wink.gif
Penta
QUOTE (PenAgain)
And I confess to a bit of nervousness in regard to "outside of the FanPro SR Plotlines." Does this mean the books are out-of-continuity for the game universe? I'm less keen about that.

I think what it means is that the novels won't be canon, meaning they won't have an effect on the storyline like the previous novels did (and, more infamously, like the Battletech novels did*).

---
*This deserves an explanation. Battletech novels have, AIUI, always been canon, meaning they've always had an effect upon (and advanced) the storyline. (That was certainly true with regards to the classic BT novels.) This could make things very annoying if you couldn't get the novels, as the sourcebooks would rapidly stop making sense.

SR was similar, but the novels didn't hold quite so much of the storyline, and certainly didn't hold essential pieces like the BT novels did.
hermit
Crimsondude: Could you please explain what SL, DHS and DBN are?
Crimsondude 2.0
SL = Shadowland

DHS = Dragon Heart Saga

DBN = Dark brown nipples (in italics)
BookWyrm
Hey, I've seen quite a few DBN's in my time (thankfully, only on females) and most were quite nice. And yes, but the ladies AND the DBN's.

I appologise for leaving out the other authors in my initial posting. Stephen Kanson's was the one that caught my eye.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012