Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowlands BBS
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Westiex
I was just wondering if any of the GMs out there have an idea about how a PC might go about finding one of the local Shadowlands BBSes?
Euchrid
By making a successful computing/decking skill roll?
Luca
Purchasing it as a contact during character creation.
After that like in any contact.
My players received the cose to entre Shadowland after they did a favour to the Dead Deckers Society, so they have not Shadowland (Seattle) as a level 2 contact (as it should be).
I do not think that one can find SHadowland simply by "a successful computing/decking skill roll".

I have another question.
They have now the access to Shadowland Seattle.....but they are now in Denver, so I let them acces the Shadowland (Seattle) because it was their contact but not the Shadowland (Denver) or the Nexus in Denver because they were not contact...maybe they will reach Denver Shadowland if Shadowland (Seattle) through roleplay will give them the key-code. Am I wrong?
Frater Inominatus
Isn't it the nature of Shadowland that it must be found through superior hacking skills (READ: successful computer/decking skill roll). Some get info through a friend or another contact but they still must hack their way to the site.
Bearclaw
Except that many of the users are not skilled deckers. In fact many are mages, connecting throught their telcoms. Not exactly the guys who will be connecting via superior hacking skills.
CircuitBoyBlue
I know in the first edition VR book, it was a Matrix Etiquette (4) test. I don't know if that means anything to anybody other than me, but...
mfb
this is touched on in Target: Matrix, page 31. it basically says that Shadowland access is up to the individual node sysops, but that you don't need to be a 1337 d3xx0r to access it. think of it as a club that you have to be on The List to get into--maybe there's an actual list, maybe they judge you on you rep, maybe you have to drop the right name, maybe there's a password that gets passed around by those in the know, that changes every month or so.
Luca
CircuitBoyBlue, that test was the test to gain information from Shadowland as you do the etiquette test for any Contact.
Having Shadowlandas a contact to use is another, completely different thing.
Jrayjoker
And imminently more powerful. As a level 2 contact they could run some pretty powerful matrix related cover for a run as long as the personal risk was in line with the compensation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012