Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Origin Evnet
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Grimtooth
Shadowrun 101
Decking, Rigging, Magic... there are a lot of different rules in Shadowrun! This seminar will have experts on hand to answer questions about any of the Shadowrun rules.
Saturday, 2 July 10:00 AM

This'll either be worthless or an info pumping system.
blakkie
It doesn't say one way or another, so it sounds to me like it's a SR3 Q&A?

The What's up with FanPro? @ 2PM that afternoon sounds more like where some SR4 info might come from.
the_dunner
It's not unreasonable to expect that fairly extensive info about SR4 will be available at Origins. When SR3 came out, FASA had the manuscript available for review at Origins.
blakkie
QUOTE (the_dunner)
It's not unreasonable to expect that fairly extensive info about SR4 will be available at Origins. When SR3 came out, FASA had the manuscript available for review at Origins.

I suppose that is possible. Manuscript completion to printing completion turn around times are a lot shorter now, so they wouldn't have to have it ready as quickly.

The two reasons i had were the mention of "Decking, Rigging, Magic" and that it didn't specifically say it was about a new product or SR4. It's just a guess though.
Shadow
Based on the reaction to the information released so far on the boards (and the reaction from it) Fanpro will do one of two things.

1. Release more at Origins hoping that once the fan base see's the end product we will realize that we were wrong and FanPro has made the game better, not worse.

2. Don't release anything except more of what they already have, little pieces of information taken out of context.

I'm not sure what I would do in this situation. Since they are nearly assured to alienate a lot of long time fans with the new Game (not revision, which it should have NEVER been called). I think I would go with option 2 and take the bad press from keeping people in the dark. Option 1 runs the big risk of all us naysayers being proven right and making even more noise and possibly hurting the sales of the game, which honestly I don't think anyone wants.
blakkie
QUOTE (Shadow @ May 17 2005, 10:46 AM)
I'm not sure what I would do in this situation. Since they are nearly assured to alienate a lot of long time fans with the new Game (not revision, which it should have NEVER been called). I think I would go with option 2 and take the bad press from keeping people in the dark. Option 1 runs the big risk of all us naysayers being proven right and making even more noise and possibly hurting the sales of the game, which honestly I don't think anyone wants.

It depends greaty on what state the manuscript is in. Now that i look at it again it is only about 8 weeks before GenCon. So at least the core of the mechanics would be damn close to finished, say they had an eyes only excert to show how the dice rolled.

The keeners at GenCon are likely to buy anyway, because them is some hardcore geeks. smile.gif

The good/bad info that is going to spread is going to spread quickly anyway. If it is well received it would be a chance to create some serious buzz. If it is poorly received it would give them a chance to tune their message and address issues right off. If it is a middling, then they get a chance at both.

EDIT: If it is really that bad then putting off the inevitable won't save their bacon. I doubt that the initial burst of uninformed sales would get them over the finacial hump.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (blakkie)
The two reasons i had were the mention of "Decking, Rigging, Magic" and that it didn't specifically say it was about a new product or SR4. It's just a guess though.

It could just be that they are using the exact same wording for Shadowrun 101 that they've been using for the last... 5, 6, n years, which is what you see on the Origins schedule.
blakkie
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ May 17 2005, 11:06 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ May 17 2005, 10:33 AM)

It could just be that they are using the exact same wording for Shadowrun 101 that they've been using for the last... 5, 6, n years, which is what you see on the Origins schedule.

Could be.

It is also possible that if it is a SR3 session the people are going to get swamped by people asking SR4 questions. Even after pleads not to ask questions. smile.gif

EDIT: If in is the case and it is planned as a major SR4 info and text like that is used to announce it someone in Marketing needs to be dragged behind the barn and shot. nyahnyah.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
I think it's been pretty well proven that there is no marketing department, or anyone in marketing working for FanPro.
Catsnightmare
I don't know about that, some of the stuff in these FAQs smacks of marketing trying to cover up the flaws of a bad/flawed product/idea.
Adam
Shadowrun 101 is a SR3 Q&A; SR4 stuff will be part of the What's up with FanPro? seminar.
The White Dwarf
I was all psyched to post the answer cause Ive been to these before several times and know how it goes, but I see Adam beat me to it. Obviously a conspiracy against white dwarves everywhere spearheaded by the Man himself. White Dwarf seeks Reliable Assets for Dangerous Mission, cash paid on completion, inquire within.
MYST1C
There will be a SR Q&A at the NordCon convention in Hamburg on May 29th.
I hope we'll know more about SR4 after that...
JongWK
I'd be very happy with whoever posts a transcript of the SR4 Q&As.
Grinder
Me too. smile.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (JongWK)
I'd be very happy with whoever posts a transcript of the SR4 Q&As.

I'd be equally happy with the person that translates it to English. smile.gif
JongWK
Er, I was talking about Origins', though having Hamburg's transcript would hurt either. smile.gif
Grinder
Best would be having transcripts of both events. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012