Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A big split?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
LordHaHa
You know, after glancing at these forums on and off for the last month or two, I've come to the conclusion that regardless of whether of the end result we see in regards to SR4, we could see a big and probably nasty split between SR players (at least on Dumpshock; I haven't see quite the same amount of controversy about the product elsewhere, but then most RPG forums of this size are not as dedicated to SR as it is here).
I personally don't think/believe that, after reading some of the posts on this part of the forum, that the SR3 players and the potential SR4 players could gel without conflict - though I could be wrong. I personally think that it would be a sad thing if such an event to occur, though.

Still, I am curious what the rest of this forum thinks, thus resulting the creation of this poll. I also would ask for more verbose opinions on the matter, as well.

Oh, and this is the first poll I've posted on this forum as a whole, so I apologize for any technical errors caused.

LordHaHa
Solstice
I believe a split will happen but I voted for Jesus because a vote for our savior can never be wrong. Amen.
Penta
<slaps Solstice> Stop pandering to the masses.
Catsnightmare
I think there is gonna be a split and it's gonna hurt SR. At least at first.
On one side we'll have the "Old School" players who will stick with SR3, on the other end we'll have the "Newbie" players who like the new system of SR4. You're gonna have Newbies who pic up SR4 like the setting and start looking for others to play. Being 'newbies' and all they're possibly gonna want to find an existing group of SR players to join or else find people who have already played SR and start a group. Then they're gonna hit the proverbial wall when they go looking for exsisting players and find gamers who stick with SR3 and don't want anything to do with SR4.

If SR4 can get over this hurdle then maybe it won't be a total disaster, and Shadowrun (even in it's worthless 4th Edition) as game won't drop off and be discontinued.
LordHaHa
I believe a split will happen but I voted for Jesus because a vote for our savior can never be wrong. Amen.

Stop pandering to the masses.

Eh? Did I miss something?

I think there is gonna be a split and it's gonna hurt SR. At least at first. *snip*

Yeah, that might be a problem. On the other hand, I do know that some "old timers" may very well make the switch - if enough of them do, it may not be that big of an issue.

If SR4 can get over this hurdle then maybe it won't be a total disaster, and Shadowrun (even in it's worthless 4th Edition) as game won't drop off and be discontinued.

To be fair to SR4, it hasn't been released yet and we are operating on very limited information on the system. To state that it's going to be worthless is a tad presumptious at the moment. It certainly may not be your cup of tea, though.

I certainly don't want to drag this thread into the Zero Zone that is the rest of the SR4 forum, so I am not going to respond on THAT particuar matter further on this thread.

BTW, Cats, I am sort of curious to know what your vote was.

LordHaHa
Catsnightmare
No not presumptuous at all, maybe a little over generalized, but it's a matter of perspective. For the most part, asides from possibly retro-converting the wireless matrix and maybe the new rigging systems to SR3, SR4 will be completly worthless to me.
Jrayjoker
Gotta go with the Christ.

There is going to be a cadre that stays with the SR3 rules, and a posse that saddles up for the ride into SR4town.

Dumpshock will carry on, perhaps with a major divide between SR3 rules discussion and gaming SR4 discussion and gaming. Either way I will still hang out here and watch all y'all bitch at each other and sometimes agree with each other, like I always have.
Grinder
As long as my gaming groups comes to a decision which version to use, i'm fine. smile.gif
Geko
With a name like Geko, the choice seemed obvious for me.

Luckily, that is actually how I feel, too. Whatever happens, my life will go on. While I am a fan, I don't invest my heart and soul into what is only one of many hobbies. In fact, if I look at gaming as a whole, SR is no more than 50% of one particular hobby.

My one issue with the Geico vote is that I honestly don't think SR3 can ever really die.

My evidence: the other 50% of my gaming hobby is devoted to an ongoing AD&D 1e campaign, which I have played almost every weekend for the past ten years, on and off. Once a game establishes a following, there's no stopping it. In more ways than one, SR3 is not going anywhere.
nezumi
Of course there'll be a split, there's always a split. Otherwise, we still wouldn't have people playing SR1/2. The question is how big of a split.

Personally, I will buy the SR4 manual. I will watch Kag's SR3R project very carefully, and I'll grab whatever he produces. If there are SR4 games, I'll play in those. If there are SR3 games, I'll play in those. If there are SR3R games, I'll play in those. What I run will depend on who the players are. I might reconsider in a year or two when the pile of SR4 supplements starts to grow, but for the time being, no worries.

Oh yeah, and I use USAA, I pay less than I would with Geico.
Solstice
Yes, Kag is my hero.

Message to Kag: If you need help at all with anything please let me know as I am unable to work and I have essentially nothing to do for the next couple weeks.
Rajaat99
Had to vote for Jesus, he's THE MAN after all.
Shadow
I would vote in this if I could at all understand the categories.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Shadow @ Jun 4 2005, 12:11 AM)

Let me break it down for you.

QUOTE (LordHaha's poll)

• I think it seems a split is likely too, and I would also be unhappy if it happens.

• Well, I think a split could happen...but I don't mind the thought either way.

• A split? Yeah, probably. At least I wouldn't have to deal with those idiots using (pick SR revision here).

I believe a split in the community between SR3R and SR4 is likely. Furthermore, I express my position of agreeability with this outcome.

QUOTE (LordHaha's poll)

• It doesn't matter, because nothing of the sort will happen. I would be with you if it did, though.

• Who cares? It won't happen.

• It won't happen. Too bad, because I really don't rate "the other half", as it were.

I do not believe a split in the community between SR3R and SR4 is likely. Furthermore, I express my position of agreeability with this eventuality were it to occur (but it doesn't matter, 'cause it won't).

QUOTE (LordHaha's poll)
Does it matter if there is a split or not? As long as SR remains viable, I'm a happy camper.

I am a blissninny.

QUOTE (LordHaha's poll)
Split, no split, SR exists, SR is dead...does it matter? I just saved 15% on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

But god help me if I actually end up needing that insurance.

QUOTE (LordHaha's poll)
Jesus, we have a whole host of prospective problems with both SR3 and SR4 as far as rules, issues with the FAQ for both versions of the game and you think that a potential split is the worst problem out there?! Get some perspective, man!

I know the right answer (or I'm Solstice).

QUOTE (LordHaha's poll)
...can I make a Wallhacker in the Fourth Edition??? (obligatory cop-out answer)

I am more annoying than a blissninny.
Shadow
QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (Shadow @ Jun 4 2005, 12:11 AM)

Let me break it down for you.

ROFL! Thanks Arethusa, I needed a laugh.
hermit
On one side we'll have the "Old School" players who will stick with SR3, on the other end we'll have the "Newbie" players who like the new system of SR4.

And there may be old school players who will check out the finished product and then decide whether conversion is sensible or not, and not get all upset because of a rumor combat pool vanishes without any tactical ressource pool like replacement. You know, like me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012