Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One of the joys of the WMI...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
LordHaHa
Just take a look at the latest and greatest in pacemaker technology.

Hackers may target pacemaker technology

Can you imagine the fun a hacker could have with this in SR4 (or even SR3, to include the retroconverters)? "Hey kids, Mr. Fujiyama has a Matrix-accessable pacemaker! Let's have some FUN....".

LordHaHa
nick012000
Yeah. It's called the Black Hammer attack utility. biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
and you dont even need a pacemaker for that, just hijack the simsense playback system with a btl signal that overrides the signal to the heart to beat. death from natural causes i think they call it when a heart just stops.
Ellery
Why do you think chipjacks are designed with biocontrol systems that include the capability to stop the heart?
hobgoblin
black death btls for one...
and i dont think it have a direct connection to the heart pr see but rather stop the control signals going from the brain to the heart. kinda like breaking someones spinal cord...
Charon
Nah, you can forget about that Hob. Not even for realism's sake, just for game balance and sanity's sake. Walking down the street when a hacker following you through GridGuide camera decide to induce a heart attack doesn't sound like exciting shadowrun gameplay to me. I'm not even sure that would count as exciting Paranoia gameplay...
Ellery
The heart doesn't need any input from the brain to keep beating. The brain modulates the rate. It doesn't trigger each beat.
hobgoblin
ah, ok.
still, i wonder what medical examiners report a black hammer attack pr wmi would get...
Charon
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ May 30 2005, 07:39 AM)
ah, ok.
still, i wonder what medical examiners report a black hammer attack pr wmi would get...

I'm guessing they correctly ID the cause of death. (though of course finding someone dead at his desk, jacked in the matrix and with a fried brain is a dead away).

They probably can't tell the difference between Black IC and Black hammer, though. But reconstructing where the decker was in Cyberspace when he died would give a big clue about this.
Jrayjoker
The forensics would have to be done outside of the body to tell the difference, unless the stress induced by the IC is markedly different from that of the black hammer. It all depends on the coding. You can get to the death from different paths.
hobgoblin
basicly what i was wondering about was how could they tell that a person died as a result of a black hammer or black ice rather then say a bad heart?

given that simsense and asist works with the body and mind rather then against it (like say poison does) then how can they tell how the person died?

ok, so most likely they will take any wmi implants the person had and look for any indication of abnormal traffic but still. its all to simple to just sign of as death by natural causes and be done with it...
Jrayjoker
There is a specific hormone that is tested for after a suspected heart attack, if it isn't there, then the chest pains, death, whatever symptoms, needs to be attributed to something else. If a guy looks like he was worked to death instead of worked over in the matrix, who knows?
hobgoblin
hormones? no problem, just need to get the specific signal down thru the nerves wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012