Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it completely wrong to say...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Penta
Is it completely wrong to say that SR has a funky disconnect?

SR's German contingent has the best artists.

Meanwhile, SR's American contingent has the better stories and storytellers?

I'm noticing it.
hermit
Ehm. I personally think the European writers aren't bad. Actualy, I guess I like their work a bit more. Likewise, there're good American artists, too.

It's all in the eyes of the beholder though.
Crimsondude 2.0
Better stories and storytellers? Now?
Nikoli
The only disconnect I see is that certain portions of the gaming company released products for their home country and never made a translation available to those that carried the company in the first place because we were deemed unable to comprehend the product. Aside from that, no, I don't see any disconnects.
Grinder
Me neither.

And who cares where a writer or artist hails from?
hermit
Nikoli, you wouldn't find DidS2 really useful (unless the shadows of Hameln, Wuppertal or Frankfurt-Oder are something you're interested in, that is). Chrom und Dioxin is mildly more interesting but still way below the current Shadows Of books in quality. Walzer, Punks udn Schwarzes Ice rapes SR canon on more than one point (like with the plummed serpent/Western Dragon crossbreed). The information on Switzerland seems to have become canon, though. Still, it's quite a bad book too.

Besides, those books were put out by FanPro BEFORE FASA collapsed.
Crimsondude 2.0
It's a difficult comparison to make unless you narrow to the Fanpro window, because I can flip through NAN 1 and observe than almost every image in the first half and most of the NPC sheet images in the back are done by Time Bradstreet, and his (beyond just NAN 1) are hands down the best images ever done for SR.

The current artists carry the tone of Fanpro SR3 very well, which may say something more about the story and imagery matching up (As opposed to the past where there was a huge disconnect when FASA used Peter Bergting's art in Cybertechnology versus its brutal appropriateness combined with Laubenstein's (ick) in Bug City), and especially goes to the attempts for SR3 to be less cartoonish which backfired and blew up in their faces when you look at Prescott's art in YotC, CC, M&M, and MitS. Some of his more recent work kicks ass, my favorite being undoubtedly the OOO "trio" image he did for SoE.

I also think that to say some of the best stories and storytellers are American right now is a farce, especially if you compare them to the first generation of American writers (the ones who didn't grow up playing SR so much as were creating it). I think that they are better at dazzling people with pseudo-realistic bullshit with RL references (Szeto especially), as opposed to attempting to create their own world identity like, say, Findley (I think he's overrated, but god bless him, he had a vision of what SR was and stuck to his guns even if it didn't match up with the mechanics) whereas some of the European authors have taken greater strides or just been better at creating and telling a story, and especially shined in SoE at putting that into practice.
EVLTIM
Tim Bradstreet

Man you aint kidding . I bought most of the old WOD just for his artwork .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012