Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advancing a decker
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gorath
Hi everyone,

we are running a high karma/high money game right now. Between our runs is many time to program, improve, etc. So last game i could improve to Computer 8 biggrin.gif

But here is my problem: I just have a MPCP-7 custom deck. My setup of utilities is: Analyze 7, Attack 6-D, Attack-6D(targeting, one-shot), Browse 7, Camo 7, Cellular Link 1, Cloak 7, Commlink 7, Deception 7, Decrypt 7, Medic 7, Radio Link 1, Read/Write 7, Satellite Link 1, Sleaze 7, Spoof 7, Validate 7.

As i must buy ASIST interface, ICCM, reality filter, response increase and RAS override all together with new MPCP i don't have that much money right now.

Here are my options:

a) Start programming a MPCP-8.

b) Programm some missing utilities: defuse, triangulate, etc. (any suggestions here that could get more important in harder hosts)

c) Improve sleaze, validate, deception to rating 8 and hope for a new deck soon.

d) Go for deception 7(stealth x),...

I want to ask our GM if i could ask my fellow runner to break somewhere to get a MPCP>8 deck and pay them with my old deck, but i am not sure if they will work for (300k/3)/3 as they know that i will get a very expensive deck...

Any suggestions for me.
Thanks in advance.
Angelone
Well you could always mug a better off decker... but if you want to do it legitly I'd suggest getting a relocate utility as getting traced is very high up there on the not good list. Maybe scanner and an armor utility aswell. Anything that will help you get past IC is great to have. Since you don't have money now what a few runs and max out response increase.

I'm not an expert decker, as I don't have VR 3.0, but that's what I'd do.
Westiex
If your group is tight enough, then simply put it as a run that will advance the team's capabilities. The better that you are at decking the better you'll be able to protect their hoops. Granted, you'll probably have to do something similar in return ...

Say, for the street sams, deck a hospital and change the name on an invoice for some cyberwear.
Gorath
Hi,

@Angelone: This far i don't have that much combat - i usually only destroy scout IC as that is important for overwatch. So armor, shield are not top priority.

@Westiex: I yesterday asked the GM if i could try to get a run to steal a better deck. The question is, where can you get a better deck without too nuch risk. Go for a corp? What kind of corp has low physical security, but has great decks for the security deckers? Or try to nail an npc decker for his deck? Might ruin your street reputation.

Westiex
What sort of deck do you have now?

What sort of deck are you going for?
Wireknight
I'd suggest upgrading your MPCP. That'll give you advancement potential in a lot more aspects of your cyberdeck and utilities.
Angelone
You could always try to get yourself into a corps personnel files and just walk in and take a deck. You could also find where one of their deckers lives and either jack him for it, if your GMs being "difficult" and says he didn't bring it home you could always blackmail him to steal one, or ransom one of his relatives. EDIT- You could also try to find out where the factory is and try to aquire one there.

MPCP is always good to upgrade.

First thing I'd still do is get that relocate utility.
Trax
You could always try to figure out when the next shipment of decks/supplies is going to a store/corp and then hijack the truck. The GM could even throw the rest of the party a bone and put in a couple items the rest of the party might like.
Edward
You could do it the purely Decker way.

Fins a compony that sells good decks, deck into there system, create account, have diner while the host cools off read threw the orders that are going to be delivered soon and change the delivery address you your specially set up safe house that will only exist for 2 months. Your shiny new deck will arrive soon but it may not be exactly what you where after.

Edward
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012