Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Legality codes of custom weapons?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Umbrage
When building a custom gun, how do I determine the legality code? Does taking a sport rifle frame and then adding burst fire and increasing it's conceal to 6 still make it as legal as a standard rifle? If not, how do I determine just how kosher it is to walk around the neighborhood with it tucked under my longcoat?
FrostyNSO
Not in California wink.gif
Kiedo
I've noticed that things that have burst fire of Full Auto you can't get a permit for then, which makes perfect sense. But just as a rule of thumb the more dangerous it is the more illegal it should be. The more recoil comp it has the more illegal also the more concealable weapons should be more illegal too. If you want concrete numbers I can't give those to you with out an example a weapon. I enjoy creating custom weapons, and offer a full line of firearms to my table top runners, and fellow players, provided the GM is cool with them. Here's an example:

The Muchado Equalizer (Assault Rifle)
Damage: 9M
Mode: SA/BF/FA
Concealability: 0
Weight: 10.1
Ammo: 50©/50©
RC: 10
Features:Laser Sight(internal high power R:150), Sound Suppressor(internal), Nickel Finish,
"=izer" down each side of the barrel, Selectable Clips, Foregrip, Gas Vent IV (internal)
Special: range +10%(605), +2TN to indentify use, -1 TN to fire
Cost:6275
Availability: 14/3mo
Street index: 4
Legality: 4-K

the standard legality for an assault rifle from the BBB is 2-G. G is an automatic weapon, while K is a military weapon. I don't know if you're familiar with the number portion, but it's the TN for the cop in question to act on discovering you piece. If you want more realistic legality codes try to put your self in the place of a cop and think how likely would I been to bust a guy carrying this gun. Then depending on the gun, you should tinker with the letter designation appropriately. I went with K because the gun can fire full auto without taking a modifier (ie 10 RC). The number is higher because it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kiedo)
The number is higher because it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I think you got this backwards: the lower the number, the lower the TN and the easier for the LEO to succeed in the Police Procedures/Security test to realize it might be illegal.

Is the gun supposed to be legal with the Firearm Design rules in CC? If so, you'll have to drop either the Sound Suppressor or the GV-4. The combination is unique to the RA SM-3.
Slacker
Emancipator's right. By increasing the number, you actually decreased the likelihood an officer would react to it.

Also, even if you do install the laser sight and sound suppressor internally, they still take up the mount position. So you can't have sound suppressor and gas vents.

How did you get RC of 10 anyways? Foregrip and GV 4 gives you 5 RC. The design rules limit RC at design to only +2 on the assault rifle. You could also use the heavy barrel option for another +1RC, but that still only gives you 8 RC total.

And your weight seems off to boot.
Umbrage
If you're building a custom weapon, it would make sense that the numeric portion of the legality code would be higher than average. While your average LEO would recognize a AK-98 on sight, he woundn't know whether your custom rifle is FA or SA or not by looking at it.

Here's the gun that I've designed. Anyone care to suggest a legality code? (It's based on a sport rifle frame). My GM assigned it a "3-H".
Fresno Bob
I'd give that thing a 2-F
Slacker
3-H? H is for heavy weapons. There is no way that gun can be call a heavy weapon. I'd say 3-G or maybe 2-F.

Out of curiosity, is it supposed to be strictly created by the design rules? If so, how did you get conceal to 6? Base conceal on a sports rifle is 2, then +2 conceal for the barrel reduction gets you conceal 4. The only way to do it would be to use bullpup design. Since you don't mention that and the picture doesn't look bullpup, I didn't think you went with that option.
Mortax
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Not in California wink.gif

It is also known to cause cancer in the state of California.
grinbig.gif
Umbrage
QUOTE (Slacker)
3-H? H is for heavy weapons. There is no way that gun can be call a heavy weapon. I'd say 3-G or maybe 2-F.

Out of curiosity, is it supposed to be strictly created by the design rules? If so, how did you get conceal to 6? Base conceal on a sports rifle is 2, then +2 conceal for the barrel reduction gets you conceal 4. The only way to do it would be to use bullpup design. Since you don't mention that and the picture doesn't look bullpup, I didn't think you went with that option.

Yeah, bullpup. I couldn't quite get the picture to look right when I tried to contort it into that config though. Artistic license wink.gif
weblife
Also, even if you do install the laser sight and sound suppressor internally, they still take up the mount position. So you can't have sound suppressor and gas vents.

This is not true. The gas vent takes the Barrel Mount, while the scopes take the Top mount.

Usually I play with the gas vent barring the use of a suppressor. But whats your take on it?

I allow heavy barrel and gas vent though, as its a mod of the barrel, not space taken from it.

Generally Gasvent IV, heavy barrel and customized grip will do very nicely in most situations.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (weblife)
Usually I play with the gas vent barring the use of a suppressor. But whats your take on it?

There's not much space for opinion on that issue, since either one takes up the Barrel slot -- ruleswise they cannot both exist on the same weapon (with the single exception of the RA SM-3). And this is one of the few cases with weapon accessories in SR3 where the rules actually make sense: a gas vent/muzzle brake and a sound suppressor just cannot function on the same firearm at the same time. Although a sound suppressor does provide a very similar advantage in lower recoil.

QUOTE (weblife)
I allow heavy barrel and gas vent though, as its a mod of the barrel, not space taken from it.

That's definitely canon, and makes sense too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012