Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sourcebook release order
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
gradek
What order should FanPro release new books for the 4th edition of the game. Assuming that much of what they publish will be rehashed versions of 2nd-3rd stuff, what do you think is the best order for the new sourcebooks to come out in.

hermit
SR4, then Street Magic. That's all that is known.
Jrayjoker
SR4, Expanded hacking rules, expanded magic rules, expanded sammie gear book, expanded adept powers book, module, worldbook, SOTA '71, worldbook, expanded grimoire, re-expanded hacking rules for drone hackers, then for matrix hackers, then for vehicle hackers, then trying to reintigrate hackers into the unified system, then another book on different paths of magic and new spirits, then threats, then another world book, then New Seattle 3, then another worldbook, then Dunkie's return....
Eldritch
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
SR4, Expanded hacking rules, expanded magic rules, expanded sammie gear book, expanded adept powers book, module, worldbook, SOTA '71, worldbook, expanded grimoire, re-expanded hacking rules for drone hackers, then for matrix hackers, then for vehicle hackers, then trying to reintigrate hackers into the unified system, then another book on different paths of magic and new spirits, then threats, then another world book, then New Seattle 3, then another worldbook, then Dunkie's return....

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
Grinder
That was a joke?

biggrin.gif
Eldritch
biggrin.gif No, but a post doesn't need to be a joke to be funny. It kinda goes with what I've been saying since day one of this infernal mess; concerning bloat/creep.

Jrayjoker
I would like to point out that, in fact, it was a joke.

Does a joke have to be funny to be a joke?
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Eldritch)
biggrin.gif No, but a post doesn't need to be a joke to be funny. It kinda goes with what I've been saying since day one of this infernal mess; concerning bloat/creep.

I don't see how you would consider my very serious contribution to this thread as indicative of bloat and/or creep.

I, suh, am offended!

rotfl.gif
Eldritch
rotfl.gif

I think we're cracking ourselves up!

Jrayjoker
If we don't who will? smile.gif
Bigity
You left out the Surge 2 book.
Jrayjoker
LOL
rotfl.gif
Eldritch
*slaps head* D'Oh!

grinbig.gif
Req
Yeah, and where's Man-Machine Interface?

that was the name of the GenCon joke book with the elf pr0n, neh? smile.gif
gradek
After SR4 and Street Magic, I believe we will see a New New Seattle Sourcebook (updated for 2070) and SOTA 2071. Those are almost necessities, after that we will see a remake of every successful book published under 3rd edition or before. The five year jump is quite genius (although it should have been 10), as it will really enable the creative minds at FanPro to get some new stuff out.
Jrayjoker
And how would this be countering the rules bloat/creep we hope they are addressing?
Ol' Scratch
I have no problem with it as long as any new rules simply add options instead of increasing the power.
gradek
By releasing a new edition they will temporarily eliminate rules creep and by jumping ahead in time they will solve Shadowrun's biggest (money making) problem, that of a lack of "new" available source material (non-rules). Hopefully they will take this opportunity to limit "rules" supplements and increase the source stuff. I am just worried that 5 years isn't enough.
Grinder
Yeah, i'm still waiting for SR3025 and the hardware manuals.
apollo124
QUOTE (Grinder)
Yeah, i'm still waiting for SR3025 and the hardware manuals.

Me too! I got a rigger who has been itching to get behind the helmet of a Madcat!
Grinder
SRMs! Many MGs fired at the same time! Really heavy punch! Yeah! biggrin.gif

Can't be so difficult to build an atlas with the current (or upcoming) rigging rules?
Snow_Fox
It would really depend on how much info is in the main book. traditionally the gun section of the core book is the weakest and so that should be the 1st. Magic should come second, that has morer room for imagination and development of traditional "levels" so that will need attention.
After that it is a toss up. Decking has always been the bugbear of the system going back to 1st ed so i think that can be last, players will be wrestling with the basic rules for decking for a while without needing to do extra stuff.
Cyber and cars could be a toss up depending on how they are covered in the core book. probably cars since that will need further development for vehicals.

Ol' Scratch
My preferred order:

Main Rulebooks: Core Rules > Magic (MitS) > Implants (M&M) > Expanded Equipment (CC) > Hacking (Rigger/Matrix) > Advanced/Optional Rules (SRComp).
Setting/Sourcebooks: Critters > Seattle > Megacorporations > Other Power Players (Government, Media, Conspiracy Groups, Magical Threats) > North America > Europe > Asia > everything else.

Priorities: Flavor (including creative shadowtalk [not the lame crap we've been getting in SR3 that's just the author expanding on what they were saying], advertisements, and just having fun with the material and making it feel more alive rather than dull and uninspiring) > focus on Shadowrunners rather than the metaplot > seeds (in both potential runs and houserules that you don't necessarily want to endorse, but which you may have thought up while working on a given set of rules [e.g. dikote wearing off in the shadowtalk]).
Bomber
I'd love to see the flavour text we used to see in 1st & 2nd ed books.

The running commentaries on weapons & gear were hilarious and really made the world come to life for me.
Jrayjoker
Is that going to make the book bigger than reasonable though? They are biting off a lot for making the first book as comprehensive as they want.
Bomber
They don't need the alot of the flavour text in the main book.

Just get back to the running commentaries on equipment etc. in the following books. Big time feel factor for the game there. Made me feel like it was real.

If you can't guess, I'm a big "SR should be a cool cinematic experience to play" kind of guy. Too many rules and a klunky dice system ruins the feel for me.

That's why we house rule the game big time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012