Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Edition Mania
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bigity
All this SR4 talk has made me have a strong desire to play SR1 or SR2 again, but I can't decide which. I have more SR2 stuff then SR1, but alas, I miss variable staging, Program Carriers, I/O Notes, Datastores, a single Firearms skill, etc etc.

I also think it would be cheaper to complete my 1st edition collection though, instead of 2nd. Hmmm.
Umbrage
I miss the details that used to be abundant in the SR1 sourcebooks. The BBS-like banter was more interesting and quirky. Nowadays, it seems more like an excuse to explain away the disconnect of the books having multiple authors. And where did all the full-color panels go? Yeah, a lot were chessy, but I appreciated details like that.
Jrayjoker
Definitely go SR1 and play a rock band member!

Go 80s punkers!
Bigity
Sold. SR1 with Rockers it is.

U: I agree. I hate that there has been less art relevent to the subject matter. (no scale pictures of critters, metahumans, even typical 2060s bars or even gear. The shadowtalk is really gotten alot more 'meh'. I always found it a nice mix of humor, insight, propoganda, and more. Now it seems like it's the same 6 people, each stating the same kind of thing no matter what the topic.
FlakJacket
Second. Need I remind you of the indestructable troll wearing armour and automatic successes? Unless you like having to equip your security guards and gangers with Panther assault canons. smile.gif
Req
I also seem to recall that my SR1 Decker had a hacking pool of like 18+ dice, though I don't recall enough to remember how exactly that worked out.

I do remember that all the other players went out for pizza whenever I jacked in, though. nyahnyah.gif
Bigity
Hm, I wonder what my ideal "mix" of rules editions would be.

1) Mandatory allergies
2) Spell Locks
3) Spell Grounding
4) SR2/SR3 armor (no layering)
5) Consolidated Firearms/Melee Combat skills
6) VR2 (not all that much different from Matrix is it?)
7) Staggered Karma Pool (fewer points as total rises)
cool.gif SR2 amount of spell points (and keep SR3 drain and variable damage level)
9) SR2 initiative
10) SR3 die pools
nezumi
QUOTE (Bigity)
7) Staggered Karma Pool (fewer points as total rises)

Have you considered simply making it so the tenth or twentieth karma point <b>optionally</b> goes into karma pool? That way, the PC can decide if he wants to put one more in his karma pool of 10, or if he actually wants to use that karma for something else.
Bigity
Yea, that's what I mean.

From KP 1-10, its 1 KP per 10 karma
11-15, its 1 KP per 20 karma
16-20, 1 for 30 karma

etc

I thinks it's a SR2 Shadowrun Companion rule.
hermit
I think he just meant that you get to decide every 10th (or 20th= Karma point to whether you pack it into KP or not, and keep it to pay for things you use Karma to pay for instead.

Char has done well and gets 10 Karma. Char then decides whether to keep 9 and up his KP by 1 OR keep 10 and add nothing to his KP.
Bigity
Meh. Not for me smile.gif Not a bad idea though.
Jrayjoker
I prefer that, and I think I will institute it in my next campaign.
Demonseed Elite
I miss the details that used to be abundant in the SR1 sourcebooks. The BBS-like banter was more interesting and quirky.

I agree with ya, but I think that's just the nature of the business. Older SR books tried things like having a full book release for one country, for instance. That meant a whole lot more word count for one topic and so you had a lot more room and freedom with shadowtalk. Unfortunately, book sales weren't terribly great with that format. Nowadays, one book needs to cover a broader topic which means less word count for each individual thing, which means tighter shadowtalk and less freedom for irrelevant, just-for-kicks, comments.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012