Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Playtesting: Decking
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Kagetenshi
This is the playtesting thread for SR3R's Decking rules.

What I need: right now, some people with basic competence in the SR3 Matrix rules who have read over the changes in SR3R. Volunteer and make a character.

Characters: do not need to be made with any chargen system, but we're going to need the following general categories covered:

Dedicated deckers straight out of chargen

Characters with other specialties who deck on the side (probably a lower-rating deck and fewer programs)

Drek-hot tech-wizzes (ranging the power level from competent to giving FastJack a run for his money)

and we should run an altered version of the SR3 sample decker through as well.

Scenarios:

1) Green-Easy host vs. one decker (dedicated chargen or non-dedicated)

2) Orange-Average host vs. one decker (dedicated chargen or non-dedicated)

3) Green-Easy host vs. two deckers (dedicated chargen or non-dedicated)

4) Orange-Average host vs. two deckers (dedicated chargen or non-dedicated)

And we'll add some more after that's done.

Some more notes on generation: like I say there aren't any restrictions, but try to make realistic characters; it might not be a bad idea to use canon chargen anyway just to keep things close to what they'll be. There also won't be anything in these scenarios that doesn't involve decking and matrix access (so for instance you don't have to bother figuring out a Pistols skill or a Strength attribute), but again, try to keep your Resources, Skills, and Attributes down to the point they'd be if you actually did have to bother with all that.

Moreover, I'm going full-disclosure here. I'll be posting the security sheaf, all die rolls, etc. and including next to no descriptions. Later on when we've got a multifaceted system I'll be running testing that looks like actual play, but for now it's just pure rules.

Questions, comments, whatever are welcomed.

~J
Ecclesiastes
I haven't read over your rules yet, but I'd love to help out. I dig deckers and otaku as characters. If you want to test out Otaku, I'd love to throw one together to help you test things out.
Kagetenshi
I'd love to test out Otaku, but first there has to be something to test about them—as of right now, I don't think a single change we've made affects them.

Well, no, that's not quite true, the balance between them and Deckers has changed, but either way they're mostly untouched.

That said, if there's anything about their interaction with the Matrix that needs to be rebalanced or made less complicated, feel free to suggest it in the Decking thread and we'll have a look.

~J
Fix-it
I already have a have-decent Tech wiz I'm using in a game at Underworld93.
He's running a Hyperdeck-6 with expanded storage and active memory.

I'd volunteer to give the new rules a try, I've got plenty of time to try an' figure 'em out. (summer vacation, no job. yet.)
I'll try and figure how he would represent with the new rules you guys cooked up so far.

I like where this whole project is going.
Kagetenshi
That's another thing: please post characters on this thread (possibly spoilertagged for flow, but visible to all). Again, feel free to scrap all non-Matrix-related info, so if your character's got a Dark Secret there's no need to tell the world and soforth.

~J
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Characters with other specialties who deck on the side (probably a lower-rating deck and fewer programs)

As in Combat Deckers, Or Programmers/ Info Spec's that can deck?

I'm thinking you mean the former, but i'm just wanting to make sure.
Kagetenshi
Any of the above. What their function is outside of the Matrix is mostly irrelevant, only their relative unpreparedness is important. Though the two types you mention are meaningfully distinct, as they're likely to have a variety of programs but less-than-stellar hardware (or potentially vice versa) rather than a balance (whether a weak or strong balance).

~J
SirBedevere
I'd like to have a go at playtesting. I too am a frustrated decker as far as SR3 is concerned.
Kagetenshi
Just post a character, or the decking-relevant portions thereof (keeping in mind the changes we've made), and we can get started.

Obviously we'll be redoing this once we've got the whole shebang down, but we can probably identify some issues now.

~J
Lindt
I got one, but wont have acess to him until monday. Hes the code monkey type.
Tobias
I wouldn't mind joining in. I'll get a char up asap. smile.gif

The changes do sound cool btw.
Lindt
I FINALLY found him. Rather high powered, came from The Matrix Misfits game a while back.

Ed, the almost otaku.

[ Spoiler ]

Kagetenshi
Looking good for a higher-powered test character. You'll just need to tweak your programs some to bring them in line with the new list (some of them have been replaced or merged with other programs), and then we can get started.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
I'll help. I'll use Skate, the character I'm making for my upcoming online game. She's not entirely completed yet, but I don't think it matters for the purposes of this playtest just how many sets of 12,000 nuyen custom-tailored raveware dresses she owns, does it? smile.gif

[ Spoiler ]
Kagetenshi
In general you interpreted it correctly. The "Other" category was meant to cover uses of above-detailed utilities that do not fall cleanly into a single subsystem (for example, Analyze Subsystem rolls against the subsystem being analyzed rather than Control) as well as new utilities that act differently from others; if a program covered above is repeated, that means they're the same program.

I'll come up with a multiplier for Inject right quick, and then we can get started.

~J
Lindt
Im still fuzzy on the new program set up. Mind talking me though it?
Kagetenshi
Certainly, busy night tonight but I'll give you a detailed walkthrough either later tonight or tomorrow morning.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
Oooooooooooh, me too, me too. Do you have AIM?
Kagetenshi
I do indeed. I'll post my SN Saturday (today) at about noonish Eastern Daylight Time, and from then until I need to leave to GM at about 4:00 EDT I'll be available to answer questions on the new rules. My only request is that at least a once-over be given to the linked thread containing said new rules—I assume you all already know that, but I just want to make sure.

~J
Kagetenshi
Right, I'm Vernjonal on AIM. Pepper away with questions, and meanwhile I'll write a proper explanation here.

~J
Kagetenshi
For the moment, I'm giving Inject a multiplier of 3. This, as well as the other multipliers, is subject to change.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
Are you gonna be online anytime? On AIM, I mean?
Kagetenshi
Yes. I've been eaten this week by stuff that needs doing (and am actually out of town at the moment), but I'll be available and back up to speed with everything soon.

~J
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Lindt)
[ Spoiler ]

Lindt: I think your cost is off by a factor of 10 here, at least. You can't even buy the MPCP chip by itself for that little, let alone the rest. Also, Masking 4? Um...
Eyeless Blond
Oh, and if noone else wants to put in a starting character I might toss my hat into the ring. He's most emphatically *not* optimized for decking, what with being a full shaman *and* a decker, so he'll be a bit of a counterpoint to all these powerhouses here.
Eyeless Blond
Reposted to Decking thread:

Decking utilities list/summary. Let me know if I got this right or wrong:

Operational Utilities (organized by ACIFS subsystem or "Other" if none applies). A * means the utility has special uses in addition to operating on a specific subsystem. Followed by multiplier:

-Access
Deception 2

-Control
Analyze* 3
Inject* ??? (Suggest 3)
Redirect 2
Validate 4

-Index
Browse 1 (Suggest change to 2?)
Scanner 3 (Suggest change to 2?)

-Files
Read/Write 2

-Slave
Spoof 3
Commlink* 1 (Suggest change to 2-4 due to Track function being added?)

-Special or None
Encrypt 1
Decrypt 1
Purge 2
Sniffer 3

Offensive utilities:
--Unchanged from original SR3. Attack utils are confirmed to use decker skill for "attack" roll.

Defensive utilities:
--Unchanged from original SR3.

Special utilities:
--Unchanged, but for the following exceptions:
-Guardian is gone.
-Link utilities are gone; rolled into hardware.
-Compressor is gone; rolled into hardware?
-Sleaze is dropped: Detection Factor is now solely the purview of the Masking persona chip.

Note btw this only leaves three programs left in this category: Counterfit, Track, and Battletac Matrixlink. If we can rid ourselves of these we can eliminate this field entirely; should we?

Frames:
--Unchanged from original SR3
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Jun 25 2005, 09:10 PM)
Oh, and if noone else wants to put in a starting character I might  toss my hat into the ring. He's most emphatically *not* optimized for decking, what with being a full shaman *and* a decker, so he'll be a bit of a counterpoint to all these powerhouses here.

Sure, go ahead and toss one in.

We're going to be starting with ShadowDragon's character Skate up against a Green-Easy matrix host generated by the Shadowrun Matrix Generator. For reference, it goes us the following attributes:

Green-6, 8/9/10/8/8

With the following security sheaf:

Step 6: Trace 7 ®

Step 10: Killer 5

Step 14: Trap Trace 7 ®/Killer 7

Step 20: Crippler (Evasion) 5

Step 24: Passive Alert

Step 30: Scout 7

Step 35: Crippler (Bod) 5

Step 40: Sparky 5

Step 44: Trap Trace 7 ®/Killer 9

Step 50: Active Alert

Step 55: Blaster 5

Step 59: Non-Lethal Black IC 7

Step 64: Lethal Black IC 5

Step 69: Cyberphobia Black IC 5

Step 74: Shutdown Started

(For reference, this is from seed 1119802300 in the above program—unfortunately, I know of no way to get a listing from a specified seed)

While I'm laying all of this out publicly, please try to take actions as if this information was hidden (for instance, consider taking actions to analyze host or subsystem if it's what you'd do with hidden info despite the fact that it's all public for our purposes).

Your mission:

We'll be skipping the RTG for this particular test.

You must:

Log on to the host

Search for a running command set on the host, intercept the data it is transmitting, then crash the command set. This must be done immediately.

Locate the user database, validate but do not use both a normal and security account (extra points if you can root the host, but that's optional), search for and invalidate both security decker accounts. You know the username of one security decker, but you may need to search the host for the other. This can be done at any time.

Locate a specified encrypted file, download it, prepare an altered copy and replace the original on the server with the new version. Maintain a copy of the old version on your deck. This can be done at any time.

Locate a specified Slave controlling a security camera. Monitor it, edit it, then control it. This can be done at any time.

Dump server logs to your deck, dump another copy to a specified email address, then crash the host. Obviously, this must be done last.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
One thing I noticed, is that even with the compilation of many functions into fewer, that just running what I think are the bare minimum ACIFS utilities puts me at 960/1000 of my available MP. No attack programs. I think we should maybe pare down some multipliers.
Kagetenshi
To be fair you are running a lot of high-rating programs, which eat up space quickly. It's certainly an argument against increasing multipliers, though. I'll bring this up in the main thread and people can discuss.

~J
Eyeless Blond
Okie-dokie, here he is. Note that he's primarily meant for information searches, so he's actually lacking in some important utilities, though he at least has the basics. This was deliberate; since I used sum to 10 I had plenty of cash, but I spent a lot of it on rather useless spells to keep him from being particularly optimized.

The satelite link utility is there just to keep the cost of the hardware + software the same as it is in "normal" SR3.

[ Spoiler ]
Lindt
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Jun 25 2005, 10:05 PM)
QUOTE (Lindt)
[ Spoiler ]

Lindt: I think your cost is off by a factor of 10 here, at least. You can't even buy the MPCP chip by itself for that little, let alone the rest. Also, Masking 4? Um...

Actually that was the cost to build the whole thing from scratch. Like coding and burning it, and putting it tougther. So thats actually 65k in blank chips and hardware.

Yeah, that was a mistake, switch those around. Eva 4 Mask 8

Also, K, Im gonna Im you with a few questions.
ShadowDragon8685
Guys? Are we still planning anything?
Kagetenshi
Yes, everything's still happening (just delayed). More when I regain full consciousness.

~J
Kagetenshi
Eyeless: I'll start running you through the same scenario as above on here whenever you're ready.

ShadowDragon: are you free tomorrow, starting probably sometime between 6:00 and 7:00 PM EST and ending about 8:00-8:30 PM EST, to get some testing in? Apologies to all for the many delays.

~J
Eyeless Blond
Interesting. Looks like I'm gonna find out the hard way what it's like to try stuff without the appropriate utilities... smile.gif
Kagetenshi
You stand in front of a large door set into the blackness of the Matrix.

(Perform your desired operation whene'er. I can roll for you if you desire, otherwise make your roll and post results here)

~J
pragma
Kagetenshi Before we get too deep into things, do you want Pragma as a sample character? Eyeless Blond seems to have his category covered pretty well.
Kagetenshi
At this point the benefit in terms of eyes and additional approaches probably outweighs the redundancy in terms of pure numerical slotting, so why not? That being said, if you'd prefer/feel it'd be more valuable/whatever, feel free to use a different sample character.

~J
Eyeless Blond
Heh, not that anyone's still reading this, but I guess this is on hold until we deal with the current proposals about integrating "simpler" hacking rules from SR4?
Kagetenshi
Not really—unless someone puts together a really good proposal I don't foresee changing the basic mechanics we've already defined (multiple deckers, new program loadout, etc.), just adding different aspects (like possible decking into small devices, etc. etc. etc.).

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012