Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Play online
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
gradek
Where can I get into games online? I keep hearing about another site that many of you are on that has online play.
Frater Inominatus
Go to the "Welcome to the Shadows" section and do a search for "recruitment." You'll find them there. Welcome to Dumpshock.

F.I.
mfb
the other site you're hearing about is probably Shadowland. Dumpshock is a discussion forum that people use for gaming; Shadowland is a gaming site that people sometimes discuss things on.
gradek
Thank you, shadowland was what I was looking for.
mfb
deep down, it's what we're all looking for.
Critias
*sniffle*
Jrayjoker
Its kind of like that first time you walk into the UB chapterhouse and everyone is so supportive and affirming. Mmmmmm.

What's that my queen? Kill them all? OK. Mmmmmmm
Czar Eggbert
Now that I finally have my new computer, I'm gonna have to dust off some of my old SL characters. I got an itchin' for some RP.
Crimsondude 2.0
Stay away from the cultists. They're nothing but a giant pain in the ass. A slow and giant pain in the ass.
Crimson Jack
"Isn't Java some kind of beverage? What are you talking about, Dave?"

This is really funny to me. The person who says this also buys "Windows XP for Dummy's" books. nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mfb)
deep down, it's what we're all looking for.

Speaking of which, is there a UI suggestion box on there somewhere? My eyes, they bleed.

~J
Crimsondude 2.0
Well, you can offer to help code SL7.
Kagetenshi
Sure, who would I get in touch with? I probably wouldn't be much help, as I've done fairly little work with Java, but it's worth a shot.

~J
Crimsondude 2.0
In the client, go to Main/Administration/4. Shadowland 7

I'd suggest just posting to 1. Project Overview or something.
mfb
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
This is really funny to me. The person who says this also buys "Windows XP for Dummy's" books.

well, keep in mind, that's something like nine years old. java was the hotness, back then. dave actually ended up disincluding a lot of SR4-5 players by making the move to java.

SL7 is going to be quite a bit prettier than SL6. it will feature things like "non-coder art".
Critias
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Sure, who would I get in touch with? I probably wouldn't be much help, as I've done fairly little work with Java, but it's worth a shot.

~J

Or you could PM Ellery on here.
Crimsondude 2.0
Oh, well... yeah. You could do that, too.

As for Java, echo mfb. That FAQ was last updated in 1998. I mean, if Dave still cared, I like to think that he'd have made a Dashboard Widget for SL7 just to show off.
Kagetenshi
What would such a widget do?

~J
Crimsondude 2.0
Replace the current Java client window. Probably break it up or something.
Kagetenshi
Not a bad idea, at least in my current sleep-fogged state. I'll think more on what it would take to do that well in the morning.

~J
Critias
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
What would such a widget do?

~J

Everything you ever dreamed!
Crimsondude 2.0
Combined with some of the features that have been discussed for SL7, or even working with the SL6 client, you could break up the client function into different Widgets which can work to edit or add a post to favorite pages, edit favorite pages, compose/delete/read s-mail, get a notice for new s-mail or new posts at X favorite page, track users in your address book, switch from one site to another, merge all of your favorites across Shadowland into one window, etc. all without having to go through the current client and tree and without having to have multiple windows to do multiple things like watch your favorites, addressbook, and all of T6W at the same time. In Dashboard, they could each be Widgets, and minimizing Dashboard would minimize one window instead of four (plus the start page which has to remain open--that has always been annoying and at least one reason why Dave entertained SL7 being a standalone browser like NS at one time).

There are probably other things that you could do with Dashboard and SL, but not having Tiger it's mostly academic for me to speculate.

In a perfect world SL7 will do all of those things as well as other things like have a better internal mail system.

But I specifically mentioned Dashboard because Dave was on the dev team, IIRC. I know he was involved with Dashboard to some extent.

But compared to SL1 (public) SL6 is clearly superior. SL was originally just a couple of cgi-bin message boards (a T6W, a Matrix, and a Private Campaigns forum). There wasn't even an OOC section. One of the users just made one, and made a new one when it filled up. DSF (specifically Welcome to the Shadows) is, for lack of a better term, a prettied-up version of SL2 when we got cookies and new post buttons. But even by then SL had a function to create multiple character names.

However, at its heart SL6 is a Java-based HTML editor. You make and edit HTML pages hosted on SL's server, including personal and mail messages. It does have a dice roller which has been around longer than most others built into the gaming sections and a chatroom system. But at the same time, to show its age SL6 has a feature to create VRML pages. I don't think that's going to make it to SL7.
Fortune
I can't remember my damn password for Shadowland. frown.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
Never stopped anyone else from making a new username before.
Critias
QUOTE (Fortune)

Best fix is to throw together a temporary second name, and then post to Main->Administration->Account Problems. Tell Ell everything you can about the old user name, and she should be able to hook you up.

Or, well, yeah. Just make a second account, and use that one. Either way works, really, depending on how much stuff you'd lose that way.
mfb
heh. you may have to wait until the flame-borne words of doom are removed from the front page. and they say we never upgrade!
Critias
Why, that looks like an update, right there! ABANDON HOPE, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE. Sure, it's not really friendly, but it's catchy!
Fortune
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 15 2005, 08:07 PM)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jun 15 2005, 04:37 AM)

Best fix is to throw together a temporary second name, and then post to Main->Administration->Account Problems. Tell Ell everything you can about the old user name, and she should be able to hook you up.

Or, well, yeah. Just make a second account, and use that one. Either way works, really, depending on how much stuff you'd lose that way.

I thought about a second account, but I like my name and want to keep it if possible (I don't think I actually have much info under it though). I guess I'll just have to wait for now though, until the workmen are finished before proceeding further.
Kagetenshi
Yes indeed, Mr. Fotune likes his name wink.gif

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jun 16 2005, 07:00 PM)
Yes indeed, Mr. Fotune likes his name

Yeah yeah! Go ahead and rub it in. nyahnyah.gif wink.gif
Spookymonster
Regarding Dashboard widgets:

You might also want to consider Konfabulator widgets instead. It's a free (nagware) client and works on both Windows and Macs (no Linux client yet). It's basically the same concept: XML and Javascript behind a widget interface composed of GIF and/or PNG images. Very easy to develop for. For example, ClipDrop, the first widget I built for Konfabulator, took me about 8 hours to build, including graphics. The current release took me about a week.
Crimsondude 2.0
Yeah, someone told me about Konfabulator over the weekend (and made a not-to-nice comment about Dashboard's similarity to it). I need to check it out, but GMing is my top priority on SL right now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012