Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New flaw value?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Edward
New flaw value??
Poor money management.

For those not interested in why I came up with it I will specify the rules first

Flaw: Poor money management value: ???
For whatever reason (be it bad impulse control, a gambling problem or some other factor) a character with this flaw will always spend more money than he should in the course of his every day life. At the end of every month the character must pay ether 10% of his liquid assets (cash, credsticks, bonds and the like but not equipment) or half again his largest lifestyle expenses whichever is greater, this money may not be payed in advance as lifestyle can and should you purchase a permanent lifestyle you still must pay based on what the monthly cost would be. Should this money not be payed the penalty is the same as not paying lifestyle but with twice the probability. On the plus side you may have any number of useless movies, exorcise machines, food preparation utensils, fuzzy things and other such impulse items, or you may spout of about your preferred betting arena and the occasional good gambolling win, although it will never actually make you money,

So what do you think its worth, could there be a scale of values (30% or *2 lifestyle, 50% of liquid assets or 3 times lifestyle costs)

As to why I thought of it.

It started with a character concept for an ex professor of linguistics and thaumaturgy, the question is why would such a individual run the shadows and an idea popped into my head, gambolling problem, and I tried to come up with something to represent continued problems of this type.

So, although I doubt this latest addition to my “characters to play list” will get used, what do you think?

Edward
Ol' Scratch
It would make more sense to say they have a +25% penalty to their most expensive lifestyle upkeep cost if you asked me. Not only does it keep it simple, but it makes it easier for bookkeeping purposes and accomplishes the same end result.

That said, I'd make it 1-point Flaw for each level of the lifestyle beyond Street, and add the condition that if they ever lower their lifestyle, they lose this Flaw and have it replaced by one of the GM's choosing as per normal.
Kagetenshi
I'd make it a two- or three-point flaw, apply a flat +20% or +25% increase regardless of lifestyle, and stipulate that it applies to temporary housing like a Hospitalized lifestyle as well. Oh, and that it applies to the entire lifestyle in a shared lifestyle.

~J
RangerJoe
Another way to look at the flaw would be as an increase in the price of all purchases of say, 10%, reflecting your PC's inability to shop around, spot a bargain, or even think about how much something is worth. Maybe that's going more towards a "Sucker, and folks know it" flaw, though.
Ol' Scratch
That's not a bad idea, treating it like the Dwarf or Troll penalty to some gear, only worse. If you do go that route, I'd make it a 3-point Flaw for the 10% version and a 5-point Flaw for the 25% version.
FrostyNSO
Making it a basicaly just a lifestyle increase and "troll-modding" for purchases is just bland.

I think he hit on a good concept with the "blowing" of his liquid assets. People spend what they make for the most part. Compulsive gamblers with money lying around don't have money lying around for long.
Herald of Verjigorm
If you just want compulsive gambling, take Compulsion (Gambling). You can even use it as an excuse to play Yahtzee or random other dice games against other players (with a high chance of losing your share in the payoff).
Ol' Scratch
I'm not sure how a flat reduction in every nuyen you have coming in (or its equivalent value in equipment) is any less bland than a flat increase to Lifestyle costs. The only real difference, aside from a minor price change, is that the latter is far easier in the bookkeeping department.

Both are equally bland mechanically, one's just more annoying to keep track of than the other and both accomplish the same end goal.
Crimson Jack
This seems like the type of flaw that would be seen on more mage and shaman character sheets than any other type.
Arethusa
I'd make it +25% lifestyle costs and -2 flaw points for mundanes, -1 for awakened.

And overall, I'm not particularly fond of it, but, then again, I'm not particularly fond of much of the edge/flaw system.
Edward
Why less valuable to awakened characters.

True shamans and adepts have limited use of money but heretics can be real money sinks, especially if they use elementals regularly.

The problem with just using compulsion gambling (or compulsion impulse purchasing) is that the mechanic for compulsion wont reduce your money reserves other than threw game play and will almost certainly interfere with a long run.

I was looking for something that costs more in nuyen than interfering with the run or at least would still cost nuyen during downtime.

Edward
Ol' Scratch
I don't get the discount for awakened characters, or a set Flaw point value despite Lifestyles. Someone with a Luxury Lifestyle is going to suffer a huge penalty while someone with a Street Lifestyle won't even so much as notice they have the Flaw.

Being Awakened doesn't change anything, either -- you might as well say Awakened characters should get a discount on their Resources Priority or Build Point costs while you're at it because "they have limited use for money," which, to be blunt, is just a stupid and erroneous statement all around.
Edward
The reason it should be a fixed value regardless of lifestyle is simply that lifestyle changes easily. And likely more often for a character with this flaw.

I may start with a high lifestyle but it is all but a forgone conclusion that I won’t be able to support it for long, obviously a character with this type of flaw is not going to move out early so I am probably going to drop immediately to low or squatter. And some months latter we have a big score and I rent a luxury viler not thinking that I wont be able to keep up that level of income so my money is gone in 3 months and I am evicted again.

You cant set the value of a flaw on something that is going to change that often.

Edward
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Edward @ Jun 4 2005, 06:52 AM)
You cant set the value of a flaw on something that is going to change that often.

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
That said, I'd make it 1-point Flaw for each level of the lifestyle beyond Street, and add the condition that if they ever lower their lifestyle, they lose [the appropriate amount of points in Flaws] and have it replaced by one of the GM's choosing as per [the normal rules for losing a Flaw].
wargear
What about the concept of the reverse? Someone who is naturally gifted with financial affairs?
wargear
As for setting the value of the flaw. Perhaps something like Day Job. Each level of it costs you X-amount of nuyen per month which is blown on btls, gambling, handouts to beggars, stolen by street kids, whatever...
Aku
QUOTE (wargear @ Jun 6 2005, 12:05 PM)
What about the concept of the reverse? Someone who is naturally gifted with financial affairs?

what about a discount off of the SI on things, maybe .5 off?

EIT: and maybe a +1 availabiltiy to show that the extra time they're taking to shop around?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Jun 4 2005, 07:14 AM)
I don't get the discount for awakened characters, or a set Flaw point value despite Lifestyles.  Someone with a Luxury Lifestyle is going to suffer a huge penalty while someone with a Street Lifestyle won't even so much as notice they have the Flaw.

In my opinion that's balanced by the fact that someone with a Street lifestyle is already taking huge disadvantages for doing so.
what about a discount off of the SI on things, maybe .5 off?

eek.gif That's… a little high. I'd give at most .25 off, probably more like .1 or .05.

~J
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jun 6 2005, 11:11 AM)
In my opinion that's balanced by the fact that someone with a Street lifestyle is already taking huge disadvantages for doing so.

So they should get an even bigger advantage in the form of more Edges/Build Points even though they are already getting an advantage in that they don't have to pay for their lifestyle already?

As for the "reverse" of the flaw, it's already covered by the rules. Aptitutde: Negotiations (Haggling). A -1 target modifier is a pretty powerful influence in getting a discount on gear.
wargear
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Jun 7 2005, 03:18 AM)
As for the "reverse" of the flaw, it's already covered by the rules.  Aptitutde: Negotiations (Haggling).  A -1 target modifier is a pretty powerful influence in getting a discount on gear.

Fair enough...for the haggling bit, I guess. Then again Aptitude: Finance covers the rest of the ground nicely. I don't know what your runners do with their ill-gotten gains, but I like to plan for my runner's eventual retirement.
Wounded Ronin
Psch, make this flaw a *real* beast. You spend any and all money on stupid crap unless it's specifically earmarked for something. Even if it's specifically being set aside, you have to make a WIL check not to blow it anyway. Also, it should be a real man's WIL check, TN 9, not the pansy TN 6 we keep seeing.
Shadow
I like the idea of a reverse of this flaw. I think I would just use compulsion to mimic the gambling or something.

I just had a thought, Compulsion: Money Grubber

This character never spends money unless he is sure he has got the best deal.

(Double all times to get items to represent his shopping around).
Ol' Scratch
That's a pretty good one, though it should be turned into a specific flaw rather than just labeling it as a Condition since you're including a game mechanic with it. Oh, and "frugal scrooge" would probably be a better descriptor. biggrin.gif
Edward
QUOTE (Edward @ Jun 4 2005, 06:52 AM)

That said, I'd make it 1-point Flaw for each level of the lifestyle beyond Street, and add the condition that if they ever lower their lifestyle, they lose [the appropriate amount of points in Flaws] and have it replaced by one of the GM's choosing as per [the normal rules for losing a Flaw].

I did consider that but frankly I would never take it. Just like I never take any that is easy to get rid of. Extra enemy, hunted, hung out to dry are the flaws that would replace it and it is all but guaranteed to happen, and those flaws are very annoying if your character wasn’t built for them especially seeing as being flaws even if you get the money and pay it back, with interest they can never go away, I would prefer non payment stayed on the level of non payment of lifestyle expenses, you get goons but they go away when you pay the money.

Also what will happen to the value of the flaw when you go up in lifestyle level, now I am paying extra because of my higher lifestyle but I still didn’t get the extra build points.

And buy the harshest reading of the rules a yo-yoing lifestyle (something many runners have without this character flaw) would result in an ever increasing body of malcontents.

And somebody on a street lifestyle would still be loosing money, 10% of liquid assets in my first proposal.

Edward
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012