Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking Professional
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Ancient History
Sometimes, you have to change from the outside in.

No matter how much cyberware you have or how many grades you've initiated or how big your deck is, there comes a time when you're going to end up in a massive firefight, or penetrating a building, or some other circumstance where crawling around in a duster with a shotgun just isn't gonna cut it.

The Suit
A full-body suit of form-fitting body armor, preferably with five points of Thermal Dampening
Combat Vest (12 small equipment pouches)
Load Bearing Harness (4 large equipment pouches)
Military rucksack, with quick release mechanism
Forearm guards
Snake mesh socks
Desert Goggles (Smartgoggles may be substituted)
Night Vision Contacts (if needed)

The suit gives the most protection and usefulness for the least encumbrance. Very much a paramilitary outfit, the combat vest, load bearing harness and rucksack provide sufficient room for all your little toys, widgets and ammo. Plus, the suit is acceptable for all environments, as more extreme environmental gear can easily go on over the form-fitting body armor. Appropriate camouflage clothing over top is recommended.

In addition to the suit, and whatever toys you decide to bring-I suggest you fill your pouches-it is essential to bring four things:
1) Primary Weapon - Typically a shotgun or assault rifle, adepts or magicians might consider a katana or a laser crescent axe a suitable primary weapon, while deckers and riggers will almost certainly consider their deck the primary weapon. In any event, primary weapons must use quick-draw holsters when possible.

2) Back-Up Weapon - Typically a handgun, the size and style depending on the user. Collapsable weapons such as an extendable baton or telescoping staff may also work. Tasers are also a good choice. In any event, the Back-Up Weapon should be in a concealed holster.

3) Blade - Always have a blade in your gear. Not necessairilly a big, scary knife to gut snakes and hillbillies, but something that can cut through anything you need to cut through. Vibroknives and the small Cougar fineblade are ideal.

4) Gloves - Be them stun-gloves, Hardliner gloves for unarmed attacks, or just surgical gloves, you don't want to leave fingerprints.
Grinder
Sums it up nicely. wink.gif
Ol' Scratch
A full-body suit of form-fitting body armor, preferably with five points of Thermal Dampening

Can't be done. Four points max, with one point used for something else.

The rest of the gear isn't professional for a runner. A mercenary, maybe, but not a runner. Runners generally operate in the public and in urban areas. People don't roam around Main Street with a rucksack and other military gear, some pieces of artwork aside. Some runs might find that kind of gear appropriate, but its far from the norm. So no, it's not "acceptable for all environments" by a long shot. Especially most environments a runner will find himself in, since most of the time that environment is in the heart of the sprawl doing legwork.

A professional runner would likely gravitate towards wearing Form-Fitting Body Armor and a Vashon Island Actioneer Line suit, maybe with Smartshades, (Hardliner) Gloves, Concealed Quick-Draw Holster(s), and things of that nature as appropriate to the specific character. That kind of suit would be far more practical in far more situations, with the Vashon Island Actioner Line being swapped for another level of fashion depending on the situation.

Traditional runners will wear street fashion, complete with obnoxious punk hairstyles and bodyart, and carry whatever they want, but these tend to be novices or cannon fodder, or both.
Ancient History
Oh good, a discussion.

I think what you're disagreeing with is the combat vest, load bearing harness, and military rucksack. While I agree that these might seem mercenary-like, they're popular fare for professional criminals in movies and television these days. While obviously not what you want to walk down the street with, during an actual penetration they can be ideal.

The Vashon Island line is essentially another type of camouflage gear.

Snake mesh socks and forearm guards might seem silly to an extant...until you've run into an ankle-high strand of monowire or needed just that little bit of edge in melee.

Smartgoggles are a good choice, but I gave desert goggles as first choice due to the flare protection.
Ol' Scratch
I guess it's a matter of gaming styles, though. My preferred get up is:

Concealed Quick-Draw Holster
Forearm Guards
Form-Fitting Body Armor (Full Suit) [4/1, not counted for layering]
> Chemical Seal 4, Thermal Dampening 1
Hardliner Gloves
Smartshades
> Infrared and Low-Light Vision Mods if needed
Snake Mesh Socks
Vashon Island Actioneer Line (Full Suit) [5/3, 4/2 for purposes of layering]
> Fire Resistance 4, Nonconductive 4

Then add Ruthenium Polymers and a full suite of scanners to the Vashion Island suit, the gloves, and the extra hood the FFBA provides and you can effectively become invisible at a moment's notice.

This outfit not only fits anyone with a Quickness of 4 or higher comfortably, but it adds a nice amount of protection (Ballistic 7 and Impact 3), increases the Concealability of items underneath the long coat, includes ample ammo pouches, and is largely inconspicious in many areas outside fo the Barrens. Even if it does draw attention, it's relative blandness and its covering of your most identifying features (body frame, eyes, and hands) tend to make you hard to describe to others. The armor treatments are far superior to Thermal Dampening 4/5, too, in that they provide protection against the various types of attacks you're likely to encounter if things do get ugly, whereas Thermal Dampening 4/5 is trumped easily by the Ruthenium Polymers anyway.

That's a far more professional look than a paramilitary get-up and provides just as much versatility. It also lets you go nearly invisible when needed without comprimising your ability to blend in with the populace when you need to. You can go straight from a meet at a popular nightclub to an actual mission without having to stop and change, too.
Eyeless Blond
Also note that FFBA with thermal dampening isn't available at chargen (Avail 12), and after chargen it's difficult to procure if your GM is being a hard-nosed about getting armor of any kind, and FFBA in particular. A Victory "Rapid Transit" Hvy Jumper, however, has an Availability of 4, so you can pack its maximum rating (4) of Thermal dampening in without a fuss. Considering that plus FFBA is the max an average (Quickness 3) character can carry without CP restrictions, it's actually a great idea for the Qui 3 beginner to get those plus the helmet, netting you an armor rating of 5/6. All this, plus you get the neat color-changing feature out of the rapid transit suit makes it great for infiltration wear on a budget, and it's considered ordinary wear so you're fine for most street purposes.

This post has been brought to you by Victory Sportswear. Victory: it's for winners. biggrin.gif
toturi
The Actioneer Longcoat may not be worn with the Suit Jacket, how do you get 5/3? Going strictly by the wording in CC, while you may layer another longcoat, you simply cannot wear the Longcoat with the Suit Jacket.

And if you are being really literal about it, the Actioneeer Line Long Coat cannot be worn with anything with an asterisk. Also apart from the concealed holsters, the ammo clips pockets do not have a specified holding capacity (it can range from the anal GM of 1 to the ultra-liberal GM of as-many-as-you-can carry).
Critias
No such animal as a "default" suit, just the same way as there's no "average" Shadowrun. You've always gotta dress for the occasion.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (toturi)
The Actioneer Longcoat may not be worn with the Suit Jacket, how do you get 5/3? Going strictly by the wording in CC, while you may layer another longcoat, you simply cannot wear the Longcoat with the Suit Jacket.

And if you are being really literal about it, the Actioneeer Line Long Coat cannot be worn with anything with an asterisk. Also apart from the concealed holsters, the ammo clips pockets do not have a specified holding capacity (it can range from the anal GM of 1 to the ultra-liberal GM of as-many-as-you-can carry).

Quit being a dumbass. You've been in those discussions before and know the answer.
Kagetenshi
My preferred getup is an ordinary comfortable gray sweatsuit and a heavily armored van.

~J
Arethusa
Huh. Personally, I prefer a snappy grey suit and an unarmored cab. But that's me.
Penta
If one takes AH's approach as one method, how about those disagreeing draw up similar laundry lists?smile.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
On the job.
Well, shit. Clock's running. Jay looks at the elf again in simple acknowledgement, then looks past the SUV at his own car in the lot. He turns and walks past the SUV to his car, opening the trunk to get access to his toys. He whips off his suit jacket and places it into the trunk. Were one to be watching him, they'd notice that around his side and back in the belt loops of his trousers are four pistol mags. A box comes out, and a micro-transceiver is clipped to the back of his trousers in the small of his back. The cord runs up his shirt along his spine, and a clip attaches to the top of the collar. He puts the subvocal mike around his larynx, and the earpiece over his ear and into his right ear with the ease of a man who's done this enough times that it's rote. He then pulls out a black mass, a body armor vest, which goes over his shirt and the wire behind his back, securing snug to his upper torso. Several boxes are attached to the front of the vest--spare mags--but one would not see them unless he suddenly turned around.

He doesn't. Instead, he pulls out a long coat and slides it on. It would seem unnecessary in this situation, but he was not exactly keen to get shot again. He loads a couple more pistol mags into the inner pockets of the long coat--3 for each side. Finally, the big gun comes out. It is similar to a Colt M-23, but with a retracted stock and slightly shorter barrel. He slings the AR over his shoulders so that it is falls in front of him, the barrel aimed down and to his right.

He could have brought the UMP, or the G38. But he decides to stick with the AR, and then also grabs the 227S, just in case. He tosses a pair of spare mags which are taped together in his left jacket pocket. The sub gun is slung behind his back over his left shoulder so that he can grab it and shoot it with his right hand. In his right pocket are three round canisters. The trunk is closed, and the runner turns around. At that point, one might notice that across his chest over his body armor rest four magazines for the rifle. The two pistols still remain at his hips, but are for the most part weapons of last resort. They had just been in a meet with a man with a machine gun. No one would care about someone with this kind of hardware. Not here in the asshole of the Point. Not where they were going either. And the only people who would care, as far as he was concerned, would be dead before it became an issue.

Jay walks back to the SUV without saying a word. He had a mission to fulfill, and was focused solely on that fact as he reaches their ride. The sub gun would slide off and sit next to him as they drove, the AR would remain where it was. You could never tell what you might run into in PB. The long coat remains open... for now. He approaches the shotgun position in the SUV. Needs proof. That's what the Cougar's for... Proof. Not the micro-camcorder in the trunk, the one he could hook up to the comm unit like he did all those time in California, and New York, and Washington. No... He'd get his proof all right.
Nythrun
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
it's actually a great idea for the Qui 3 beginner to get those plus the helmet, netting you an armor rating of 5/6.

Awfully fond of having a magician with a F2 Fashion spell change that helmet into a bowler derby or babushka or tophat and the like too, for coordinating with the Vashon Island line smile.gif
Edward
For camouflage work I like the rapid transit jumpsuits, with 12 internal colour patterns on there photovoltaic covering (and shouldn’t be to hard to increase that) you have several tradesman’s outfits, jogging outfits and very camouflage pattern you may need. Far cheaper and easier to obtain than ruthenium (indeed available at char gen) giving most of the benefits.

What you where underneath it is up to you.

Edward
Ol' Scratch
Ruthenium Polymers are available at character creation (Availability 5 for both the polymers and the scanners, and both are 100% legal). Your average human has just under 2 square meters of surface area, so that's only about 20,000-30,000 nuyen for the ruthenium polymers, which is worth the cost when you consider it can do everything Photovoltaic weaves can do plus tons more. Shoot, the eight extra scanners cost more than the ruthenium does...
RangerJoe
My players just finished a module of mine a few runs back where they happened to pick up lightly armored "Armando and Armando" custom taylored tuxedos. These are the kind of UV-tres-chic clothes that you simply cannot buy in stores. I expected the duds to just go in the runners' closets after the run, but much to my surprise (and their karma-fication), a run or two later, they pulled out the clothes again, in order to spend some yen on a beyond-tres-chic dinner at a shadowy Japanese restaurant (think a 5,000 nuyen meal). The clothes got them past the door.

Remember, the 2060s are just as superficial a time as the 2000s are. The clothes make the man.
Edward

My current char has spent more than 5K on a meal, of cause he had to spend about 100K on clothing and pull strings to get a table but it did suitably impress the girl, and distract him from what the blood mage had been doing (dunclzan’s bequest was good for the money), what is beginning to bother him is that he is making a habit of this. After other negotiations where concluded for his second arcolegy run he demanded in addition a table for 2 at a romantic high class restaurant 2 days before the run, and 2 weeks at a 5 star resort when he got out, of cause when the Johnson is the head of security for novatech you know these demands wont be difficult, or even expensive, to grant, and he knows I met my girlfriend on my first arcology run. (the Johnson on that run also worked for novatech and was nice enough to give her a job).

Edward
hermit
Your char met his girlfriend through your Johnson? Isn't that a bit, umm, suspicious? And even if he onlym knows she's some chica you pulled out fo Deus' clutches ... I'd still worry. If only because he has a great handle on you.

And he got her a job? Jeez. Get her a non-Johnson job ASAP! Otherwise, it may soon come that the Johnson tells you to <insert suicide mission the char would give the Johnson the finger for if asked> or else your chica is gonna be handed to you in several of those nice blue garbage bags.
JongWK
Any of Battletech's Assault Mechs.

What? biggrin.gif
Mortax
LMAO! rotfl.gif
you get a karma smile.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (hermit)
And he got her a job? Jeez. Get her a non-Johnson job ASAP! Otherwise, it may soon come that the Johnson tells you to <insert suicide mission the char would give the Johnson the finger for if asked> or else your chica is gonna be handed to you in several of those nice blue garbage bags.

That's presumes a lot. I'd almost expect an exchange like this

QUOTE (Hudson Hawk)

Darwin Mayflower: I'll kill your friends, your family, and the bitch you took to the prom!
Hudson Hawk: Betty Jo Byarsky? I can get you an address on that, if you want.
toturi
double post
toturi
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Jun 5 2005, 01:15 AM)
Quit being a dumbass.  You've been in those discussions before and know the answer.

Me dumbass. Remind me the answers.

EDIT: Dumbass found the Search button.
wargear
A couple of obvious (in hindsight) additions to every professional shadowrunner's kit are:
1. a decent pair of combat boots, looking at say a -1 TN for tests to retain footing on unstable surfaces, and most likely steel-capped or better;
2. a pair of shin and knee guards, we used identical stats to the forearm guards.

You're not going to get far if you don't look after the one form of transport you can allways rely on...your legs!
Krazy
but up the TN for sprinting tests in steel toes. they are hard to run in, and you don't really get used to them either. on the up side, most combats can be polished, and worn to look like dress shoes biggrin.gif
grendel
Load bearing gear for the urban shadowrunner.
Critias
QUOTE (grendel @ Jun 6 2005, 03:33 PM)
Load bearing gear for the urban shadowrunner.

I refuse to take seriously any on-line store that also sells things like this with a straight face.
Jrayjoker
Yah, that shit is funny, but the vest isn't bad. Make it out of spider silk and I am sold.
Crimsondude 2.0
How many spiders worth of silk would it take, anyway, and wouldn't it make it pretty expensive vs. Kelvar™?
hermit
As soon as spider silk can be produced synthetically (and I can tell you it's quite a way off), spider silk won't need spider farms any more. Spider farms aren't too lucrative, as it's pretty hard to train spiders to be milked for fabric all day - and as spiders tend to try to eat themselves rather than be good spiders and produce silk.
Thomas
QUOTE (Krazy)
but up the TN for sprinting tests in steel toes. they are hard to run in, and you don't really get used to them either. on the up side, most combats can be polished, and worn to look like dress shoes biggrin.gif

And a RL note: <thoughtlessness on my part, shouldn't make fashion choices @ 5:00 am getting ready to travel>

Don't wear steel-toed safety shoes (or boots) through the airport!
<unless you relish the thought of airing your feet at every stop.>
frown.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (hermit)
As soon as spider silk can be produced synthetically (and I can tell you it's quite a way off), spider silk won't need spider farms any more. Spider farms aren't too lucrative, as it's pretty hard to train spiders to be milked for fabric all day - and as spiders tend to try to eat themselves rather than be good spiders and produce silk.

If it's synthetic, it's not spider silk though.

Just saying.
Garland
QUOTE (Thomas)
QUOTE (Krazy)

And a RL note: <thoughtlessness on my part, shouldn't make fashion choices @ 5:00 am getting ready to travel>

Don't wear steel-toed safety shoes (or boots) through the airport!
<unless you relish the thought of airing your feet at every stop.>
frown.gif

Or nice hiking boots that have steel in the soles. I just take my shoes off before the checkpoint... those guys check me everytime anyway...
hermit
If it's synthetic, it's not spider silk though.

Just saying.

If it's made from the same substances and yields the same product, it is. It isn't *natural* spider silk, but it is a product that has the right to call itself *Spider Silk* nonetheless. smile.gif
Lindt
Yeah, steel toes + airports = make sure to Gold Bond your feet.

Interestingly, I prefer the half suit with a Secure Ultra Vest. Reasonable protection, double digit concealibility, and the ability to wear shorts and a t-shirt.
Shadow
The big thing about looking professional is not drawing attention to yourself. If it's the middle of summer in Seattle you don't want to be wearing a black longcoat (people do, and they look like idiots and get pointed at).

Sometimes it means not having the 'optimal' amount of armor. But in those instances you just have to use your head, and availible cover.
Ed_209a
Last I heard, the guys in the whit coats we working on splicing the genes that let spiders make silk into the cells that let goats make milk. You then just filter out the silk proteins.

Once you get the raw silk, you then just have to process it the way the spider does. The processing is probably harder than I make it sound, but at least you can develop it in parallel with the transgenetic goat milk.
nick012000
QUOTE (Shadow)
The big thing about looking professional is not drawing attention to yourself. If it's the middle of summer in Seattle you don't want to be wearing a black longcoat (people do, and they look like idiots and get pointed at).

Sometimes it means not having the 'optimal' amount of armor. But in those instances you just have to use your head, and availible cover.

My street sam would get stared and pointed at anyway. He's cyber-cat man. cyber.gif Kid Stealth legs, balance tail, and copious amounts of plastic (more specifically, facial reconstruction) surgery.
Critias
Radical, dude!
mfb
the spider-goat experiments, besides being a sci-fi horror movie waiting to happen, have been largely unsuccessful as far as i'm aware. from what i remember last time i looked, it's too hard to harvest the protiens from the milk. it tastes great in cheerios, though, and is guaranteed to not turn you into a horrible flesh-spider freak with goat horns.
Clyde
-Form Fitting Body Armor Level III with Chemical Seal and Nonconductive.
-Secure Long Coat or Secure Clothing with Thermal Dampening (optional), depending on season. (this combination provides a moderate degree of ballistic defense at very little weight without sacrificing concealability).
-Handgun of choice in a concealed quick draw holster (most likely strong side IWB, relatively easy access with only a short cover garment needed e.g. an untucked shirt).
-Extra ammunition in a pistol pouch - most likely one clip of gel rounds and one of EX or fletchette.
-Mirror shades tricked out with thermographic and optional smartgoggle capacity.
-Gravity knife with dikoted blade (should fit in a pocket. Any combat folder or OTF automatic knife will do as well if you prefer).
-Hardliner gloves (more discrete than shock gloves, probably fit in a pocket better too). Optionally, an extendable baton may be substituted.
-Flash Pak (highly concealable, primarily as a defensive weapon).
-Stim Patch (rating 6 or so)
-Trauma Patch
-Tranq Patch (patches can go in back pocket)
-PSec
-Microtransceiver
-Cigarette lighter, cigarettes (even if you don't smoke).
-Car keys. (Don't want to forget these, do you).
-Hideous, eight-eyed spider/goat hybrid with gibbering, venomous mandibles.
-Leash for spider/goat.

The Bag. The Bag takes many forms. Sometimes it's a really smart soft sided briefcase, other times it's a designer gym bag, and occasionally its a cast off army knapsack that looks like something you jacked from a homeless guy. It's got to carry many of the following items -
-Primary Weapon (compact SMG or cut down shotgun).
-Spare ammo in pistol or shotgun pouches velcroed inside.
-Concussion or gas grenades.
-C4 and detonators.
-Medkit
-Surveillance gear
-Spare spider/goat
-Whatever else suits your fancy.

Obviously, The Bag doesn't hold everything at once. But you're smart enough to tailor it for the job you've got to do, right?
Thomas
QUOTE (mfb)
the spider-goat experiments, besides being a sci-fi horror movie waiting to happen, have been largely unsuccessful as far as i'm aware. from what i remember last time i looked, it's too hard to harvest the protiens from the milk. it tastes great in cheerios, though, and is guaranteed to not turn you into a horrible flesh-spider freak with goat horns.

Damn - I was looking forward to SURGE within my lifetime. silly.gif
PBTHHHHT
Now for the opposing extreme...

How about a spell, etc... to throw off your gender and confuse the guards? heh.

(I know, there's probably some other thread to put this in, but this seemed the closest and most recent)
Angelone
In SSG on page 49 Androgyne mentions quickening a shapechange spell on himself that changed their sex for a year. So yeah that would work.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Angelone)
In SSG on page 49 Androgyne mentions quickening a shapechange spell on himself that changed their sex for a year. So yeah that would work.

It's shadowtalk, I can come on here and claim to have slept with Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron in a threesome, that doesn't mean it happened. (although it would have been nice) biggrin.gif
Angelone
Yeah, but wouldn't someone else call BS on something so blatently wrong if it was? Shadowtalk or not noone said "You're wrong doesn't work like that jackball."
Vaevictis
Don't forget the ultimate in concealable melee weapons -- the dikoted tomahawk. See cc.18 -- the traditional ones are made of worked stone (and wood for haft, of course). Stone, of course, can be dikoted, so that's nice. But the best part is that it's (STR+1)S after dikoting, concealability 6 (+2 with concealable holster), and since it has no metal parts, it's completely undetectable by MAD. After trenchcoat, 12 concealability (or 11, depending on how you look at it). Good for throwing too, if you're into that kind of thing.

Mmm, tasty.
Shockwave_IIc
Yeah im sure that they'll have some kind of "Hard object" detectors though. Im sure it would ping on those.

Ol' Scratch
But the best part is that it's (STR+1)S after dikoting, concealability 6 (+2 with concealable holster), and since it has no metal parts, it's completely undetectable by MAD.

Nope, despite their name, MAD scanners pick up weapons based on their Concealability rating unless, for some reason, you have them made out of Ceramic Components (with only Ceramic Components 3 being purely invisible). See SR3 p. 237 and CC p. 74 for more details.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012