Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Ashes to Ashes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Kiedo
First off I'd like to welcome everybody to my little world, I've tested this run with a table top group and we all had a blast, and up until the point they both got killed they said it was the best run I'd ever done, so that's got to count for something.

At the very least this will be a "two shot run" but like all my games if they work out well I'd like to turn them into campaigns.

I'm a very flexible GM, and have no wierd rules that are too obscure to comprehend or anything like that but I have learned a few things from my online endeavors. So what I'd like everybody to do is when you post put a game time and place stamp on it preferably in yellow (if you don't know how to do it ask and somebody will explain it to you, I'm sure), put names and important places in bold, thoughts and subvocal comments in italics, this on the whole will make everything a lot easier to read. It also has the interesting effect of giving you hints from my posts of important places or events.

Again I'd like everyone to post thier background and physical descriptions, so you can get to know each other and so I can reread anything I may have missed.

Just to recap who's in, here's the list again:
Doctor Funkenstein - Ol' Scratch former blues guitarist
Whizbang - Billy panther shapeshifter
Ecclesiastes(you need an easier to spell name)- Petty fromer NASCAR driver
GaiasWrath8 - David Draco drake
Reign Maker - Brandon "bone crusher" Croxiux Ghoul
Bastard - Nova IV AIA model A1 "Nova" robot
Shadow - Jacque "Sinjin" Saint John mehune dwarf
Reign Maker
Physical Description:
[ Spoiler ]
Bone Cleavers Short History
[ Spoiler ]
GaiasWrath8
Character Sheet
[ Spoiler ]

Physical Description:
6 feet tall, 200 pounds. Looks like a body builder or possible military, but one thing stands out. His skin is very white despite the fact this is eyes are a little slanted and his hair is long and white. His eyes are crystal blue and he has black pants and a long sleeve t-shit on. Under this he has form fitting body armor and forearm bracers that were designed to expand when he shifts into drake form. Over this outfit, he has a basic secure long coat that he is willing to discard if needed. He normally does not have anything of value on his person and keeps his cred stick in a pocket on the body armor.
When in drake form he is a little over 9 feet tall and over 450 pounds. His skin is pale blue but he is covered in form fitting body armor and forearm bracers. He still has crystal blue eyes but they are slit and reptilian.
Background:
He woke up about three years ago, covered in blood and naked on the floor of a very nice corp. apartment. Dead bodies littered the room, the exact number was hard to tell do to the dismemberment, but it was at least 5.
He fled the area and found that he was pursued by all manner of man and magic. Spirits tracked him and a corp. had put a major reward on his head. At this point, he had no choice but to leave England and flee to the USCA.
Still evading spirits who were trying to track him, he was approached by a group of magic users who offered answers at no price. After speaking with them at length I found they were a magic group called The All Wings that were exclusively made up of free drakes. They taught me how to control my change, and helped me realize the adept powers I had forgotten. They told me that amnesia was common placed with the first change, and to just accept that life for me, started when I woke, just like the rest of them. I trained very hard in the protection of there wards until I was able to undergo my first initation grade, I used this opportunity to change my astral signature, and by doing this, hide myself from the dragons in the world who had been stalking me.
After this I started working in the shadows. I have only had three jobs so far, but they all went very well. One solo and two with teams I was placed with. I made some money, but once I had a place to live and some basic gear, I donated the bulk of the money to metahuman rights, surge victim relief, and The All Wings.
After getting more experience with my running, my powers, and my drake form I trained hard with The All Wings and over my three years since that bloody night I have reached Initate grade 3 and mastered the art of masking and centering. Still to date, I have not remembered how to use any weapons but my fist, but used some computer training classes to learn some basic demolitions.
In the last three months, I started looking back at my history. Found a news clipping that spoke about the first day I could remember, it seemed that there were mixed reports. One report said that a drake killed 7 people and ripped there bodies apart, they recovered my old astral signature from the area but had been unable to track me. The second report said that a Mentis spirit attacked and killed 6 people. The story about the mantises felt to have some truth to it, but I knew I had done those things, so it must have just been me wanting to pass the blame.
For the last month, I have just been watching the trid, playing some trid games, and waiting for my phone to ring.
Bastard
Are we all know each other already, correct? I assume we have run together a couple of times.
Ol' Scratch
Yeah, we're supposed to have known each other for some time I believe. Based upon the blurb you wrote a few days ago, Scratch would probably be a prime candidate for the guy you met in a bar, as he tends to hang out in those places quite a bit.

In any case, I apologize for how incomplete some of the following sounds but I was a little rushed when I wrote it. Hope it gives you enough of a feel of the character, though.

OL' SCRATCH (Snapshot)
Race: Satyr · Archetype: Street Sam/Face · Profile: ESTP · Birthdate: April 1st, 2017 · Zodiac: Aries · Chinese Year: Cock

SINs/IDs: Criminal (Johnny Lee Walker, 5T2G-8U6V-PK02).
Notable Character Flaws: Allergies (HMHVV abominations), Heavy Smoking, Hedonistic, Impulsive, Opinionated, Police Record, and Womanizing.

Description: Ol' Scratch is a right sexy bastard -- you need only ask him to find out for yourself. Standing at just over 170cm (5'7") and weighing in at a lean 74 kilos (165 pounds), he looks to be a little on the scrawny side for someone in his line of work... but what he lacks in physique he more than makes up for with piss and vinegar. From the waist up, Scratch doesn't look much different from anybody else. He wears his coffee brown hair short but rarely groomed beyond running his fingers through it in the morning. Father Time has started to catch up to him as made evident by the hint of grey starting to appear near his temples, however. And even though he's in his late 40's, Scratch's features are attractive in that rugged sort of way, but its the overbearing confidence that he wears like a fine Armante suit that really seems to win the dames over.

From the waist down, however, well... that's a completely different story. Sure, he has a pair of goat-like hips and cloven hooves, but is that all that unusual in this day and age? The dark brown fur of his lower torso is thick, scraggly, and as well groomed as can be expected. Despite never wearing a pair of pants, it seems nearly impossible to figure out where he packs his... err... "equipment." If asked, Ol' Scratch simply flashes a smile and offers to demonstrate how everything works if you'll buy him a dinner and a movie first.

That said, Scratch likes to dress as comfortably as a situation allows and he always seems to be able to make whatever he's wearing look good in spite of having the world's most offensive fashion sense. He also doesn't carry much in the way of firepower (usually preferring to pack one or two pistols that are sort of akin to a Remington Roomsweeper under his jacket), but he is quite a packrat and carries quite a bit of gimcrack just in case it might come in handy someday. Two wedding rings danging from a leather cord around his neck, a cheap Mickey Mouse watch, and a pair of Oakleys are about the only other accessories you're likely to find on him at any given time.

As far as implants go, the only ones that are visible include a cybernetic right arm (which is usually concealed somewhat by a jacket and a pair of fingerless gloves) and a datajack on his left wrist. While his eyes look normal at a quick glance, they simply have to be cybernetic as nature couldn't produce an amber as bright and vibrant as the shade his orbs bear. Regardless of what's visible, everyone who knows him knows he's loaded with more chrome than a pimped-out hotrod, but while it was all state of the art when he had it installed, most of it is getting to be a bit outdated these days... especially when compared to what all those new snot-nosed kids are getting installed.

In summary, Scratch is your average old school runner. He exudes that level-headed coolness which only experience can deliver and he can be a tad bit trying at times, but overall he's a pretty good guy who doesn't often hide how he feels about someone or something.

Astral Snapshot:
[ Spoiler ]

Background Summary:
[ Spoiler ]

Active Skills: Athletics [mostly chipped these days], Brawling, Cars [chipped], Demolitions [chipped], Etiquette (Street), Heavy Weapons (Assault Cannons), Interrogation [chipped], Intimidation, Launch Weapons [chipped], Negotiations, Shotguns, Stealth.
Knowledge Skills: Blues Guitar, Blues Shouting, Chemistry [chipped], Hard Drinking, Paranormal Drek (HMHVV Freaks), Picking Up Hot Chicks, Street Rumors, Tracking, and Underworld Politics.
Datasofts: Buxom Nuns, Gray's Anatomy, Jane's Weapons Alamanac, Patterson's Guide to the Paranormal, Rolling Stone Magazine, UCAS Today.
Languages: English (Bad English), Japanese, Spanish (Aztlander), Sperenthiel.
Note: Colored entries indicate primary skills.
Whizbang
Physical Description
[ Spoiler ]

Background
[ Spoiler ]

Background will grow more as I get in touch with people to gather more details. smile.gif
Bastard
Name: Nova (until he finds a more suitable name)
Race: Artificial Intelligence/Android, Nova IV model A1

Physical description/characteristics
[ Spoiler ]

Background
[ Spoiler ]

Shadow
Physical description -

Sinjin is average sized for a Menhune Dwarf, which is to say he is very short. Standing at a sharp 2'4" (with hair) Sinjin moves around in a world that does not notice him. Except when he doesn't want to be. His skins is a deep brown from a lifetime of exposure to the sun. His eyes are a bright green, the color of the ocean on a sunny day. His age is hard to tell but their are a few wrinkles to be found. He generally wears looses trousers and a brown leather coat. It tends to be covered in dust or sand.

Personality -

Sinjin is a curious excitable guy. He is very passionate about his lifes work and given a chance will talk anyones ear off about it. When he does talk he is very animated and loud. Very loud. He is also very loyal to people he considers friends... winning that title can be difficult though.

Background -
[ Spoiler ]
GaiasWrath8
OL' SCRATCH, does this mean you are alergic to one of our team members? LOL.

I guess we can make it simple and say the very last run, at the very least, was done together. I keep to myself a bit, but am not anti social, I just find most people in this buisness are messed up and I have enough problems of my own. (See hunted, dragons)
Ol' Scratch
Yes. biggrin.gif But I'm talking with Kiedo about changing it slightly because of that, as when I took it it wasn't supposed to be a common or major flaw for the character. smile.gif

In any case, we can all have different experiences with the group as a whole. Some of us have probably worked with one another for a couple of years at this point, while others like Nova might be the yet-to-be-hazed rookies in the pack. We should each decide what's best for us and go from there.

Scratch can easily be one of the older members of the group, for instance, and I know both he and Billy at the very least have their own little pad on Petty's property just outside of New Orleans which indicates the three of them have been working together for a while now. That seems like a solid base for everyone else to build up from to me, unless someone else has a few better ideas. smile.gif
Reign Maker
QUOTE (GaiasWrath8)
OL' SCRATCH, does this mean you are alergic to one of our team members? LOL.

I guess we can make it simple and say the very last run, at the very least, was done together. I keep to myself a bit, but am not anti social, I just find most people in this buisness are messed up and I have enough problems of my own. (See hunted, dragons)

I am just glad you realize that dragon buisness is your problem chummer! nyahnyah.gif
Kiedo
you know I've got to admit looking at the picture you posted of Ol' Scratch he's not quite what I imagined him as. I definatly didn't think he would look like brad pitt, or be white, but it's good to see a change from the norm.

If you'd like a reason for you running with a ghoul, just include in your background that he saved you ass once from other ghouls, because he liked you music or something. That'd really be up to you and him.
GaiasWrath8
Or just get in good with him so you can kill his possy. smile.gif

I am sticking with the idea I just did the most resent run with you guys, I am sure you all have my number, but I stay home for the most part, unless working.
Shadow
Well Sinjin is pretty friendly and would happily run with anyone he felt he could trust. For him that means just about anyone. So no personality conflicts here.

Any idea when the IC is going to be up?
GaiasWrath8
I don't know, but I am ready. smile.gif
Bastard
Im moving tomorrow, and my internet company are bastards and wont hook me back up until the 14th or so. I will try to make posts from work, when possible, until then. Sorry for the inconvenience. It seems the internet services are taking a page out of the book from the cable company.
Kiedo
That's okay, it's going to be a slow start anyway. You will be starting in Seatle but then moving to New Orleans (or Nawlans as the locals say). So there will be transit and things like that, the run will really pick up once you guys get there and all meet up, provided you don't travel as a team(but I think a group of seven heavily armed shadowrunners jumping on a pan am flight might attract the wrong kind of attention, especially since some of you have criminal records...).

I'll get the IC up tommorow, on my day off, but before we get started I forgot to tell you that everybody gets a free lv. 1 fixer contact who goes by the name, Mr. Grey.

Bio for Mr. Grey
Little is known about Mr. Grey but what is known is thus. He operates out of a bar called "The Lonely Heart's Club" on the southside of downtown, his jobs pay well and usually lead to very interesting opportunities. Mr. Grey is very cryptic and usually says very little, most of the conversation is taken care of either by a mind link of cyberware transmissions, and then it's mostly flashes of images and emotions. His usual attire is a plain grey longcoat over a fine grey pinstriped suit. Mr. Grey is a chainsmoker and rarely is seen without a lucky strike hanging from his mouth. His salt and pepper hair gives him a respectable and stately manner, and what little dialogue he has with his employees is spoken with a heavy eastern european accent.
Bastard
How much are greyhound tickets?
Kiedo
to cross 4-5 country borders?
I'll have to get back to you on that one. That's a lot of check points to get paralegal gear through....
Ecclesiastes
Who needs Grey Hound when you have a Rigger with an RV and a knowledge skill of Smuggling Routes 6?
GaiasWrath8
Good point. smile.gif
GaiasWrath8
WOW, slow day. smile.gif
Kiedo
The IC is up, go forth and have fun.
Shadow
Just to clarify.. the game starts at 10:30 pm... Night right?
Ol' Scratch
That's what all the time stamps said. smile.gif I just figured we were all out partying a little too hard last night. <grins>
GaiasWrath8
I figured I was just trying to get my three hours in before the day really started.
(I have that cool adept power were I only need one meal and three hours, guess who gets stuck with watch duty.)
Shadow
Having som small experience in DSF gaming I have a recomnedation. I it is much easier to stay with a story and get imeresed in it if the signatures are turned off. You can do so for each post before posting by clicking on the "enable signature box" and making sure it is empty. The box is checked by default though so if you go back and edit it you have to uncheck it.
GaiasWrath8
GM: When walking to the place for the meet, I want to keep an eye on the astral realm. Let me know if anything looks out of place.
Kiedo
Yes the game started at 10:30 at night, you can explain why you were sleeping at that time, as most of you did, but I wanted to open with a dream sequence so thats how it happened.

Yeah I know, I keep forgetting to do that, forutunately you can go back and edit it off, so it's not really a problem.

There's not much aside from everyday 2064 Seatle things happening on the astral, and will continue like that, at least until after the meeting, at The Lonely Heart's Club.
Ecclesiastes
What city is the Loney Heart's Club? What type of club is it? I'm sure you'll do an IC post to go into detail, but if we could get just a general heads up so we know if there is anything we should plan for, that would be great.
Ol' Scratch
Everything's in Seattle. You and Whiz seemed to be the only ones who thought we were starting in, or would even be based out of, New Orleans. smile.gif Dunno why, though... Kiedo made it a bit clear that this particular run would be taking us there, but that we'd be hooking up with it in Seattle from the beginning.
Kiedo
The Lonely Heart's Club

Based out of Downtown Seatle, on the south side, caters to all metahumans, with a wide variety of fine synahols and soy foods. They have the real stuff but it's far to expensive to be afforded by just your average shadowrunner. The decor is simple, The Club has two rooms, a bar complete with mahogony tables and chairs, and a Dance floor, with the standard recessed floor. Security is very tight but they offer a unique approach to firearms. If you pass both MAD sensors without setting them off you are given a token for 25% off your purchases while in the club, this also has the effect of letting the bar tender and staff know who's packing heat. If you fail the MAD test the two bouncers will frisk you check the type of weapons your carrying, and ask you to check them in. This is optional for everything smaller than an SMG that isn't capable of full auto or burst fire. If you use a weapon inside the club after waving the option to check it in you are very likely to not leave the bar alive, and if you do somehow manage to escape, you will be banned from the club for life.

Each day of the week they hold a special Meta-varient night, in which they wave the fifteen nuyen cover charge for the selected meta-varient, it's pretty packed some nights, like on "dark ones night", but relitively empty on others, like "cyclops night". The bar does not allow gang members onto the grounds which has angered some of the more powerful gangs in seatle, but it's an upscale place ran by a former governer of Seatle, so the gang action tends to be superficial at best.

One of the unique things about The Lonely Heart's Club is that there is the large matrix access point, in a private upstairs room. The club's grid has access to every data node in Seatle, but partons are warned not the hack into things while using the grid. The grid is equipped with a stageable security level that is usually set to green, but at the command of the on site decker goes to black when a customer tries to break into another grid.

The club also has the very peculiar reputation of being the place in Seatle to visit the astral plane. The building was designed by a thaumographic engineer so the the club presents an entirely different appearence in astral space. Bailie's Seatle oddities claims it's the most breath taking structure in astral space.
GaiasWrath8
Sounds like a cool club, I am guessing we have all been there at one time or another.

IRL, what happened to NOVA?
Shadow
We only have less than an hour to get to the Ubber club, so we should probably not debate to much about what food we eat smile.gif

Ol' Scratch
Debating over food is important, man. It'll determine our mood for the meet, and that in turn will determine the outcome of our negotations, and that in turn will determine the entire course of the rest of the run.

As for Nova? He had to be taken out back and put down execution style. Oh, that and the fact that he said he'd probably be out of commision until the 14th, so I worked that into my first post. smile.gif
Ecclesiastes
Nice. smile.gif
GaiasWrath8
Oh, ok. smile.gif Cool about NOVA

I am just talking intil the GM post us getting some place. The only reason I wanted to go to the club is because I wanted stake!
Shadow
Who's our negotiator?

*Prays it isn't Ol'Scratch*

*Imagines the scene if it is Ol'Scratch*

..... Fade in (groovy dream sequence)

Johnson: Blah blah blah money blah blah blah kill blah blah blah now.

Ol'Scratch: *Slaps the Johnson across the face* Wheres my liquor and stuff? Someone get me some smokes. You gonna pay us a lot of moeny or I will cut you off at the knees!
Ecclesiastes
Our face is Ol'Scratch smile.gif
GaiasWrath8
ummm, ya, right.....

(makes note never to let Ol'Scratch talk to the johnson...)
GaiasWrath8
No really, does any one have social skills?
Ol' Scratch
Ol' Scratch has 11 dice to throw on any Etiquette, Intimidation, Interrogation, and -- yes -- Negotiation tests. Not to mention a Charisma of 9, a Good Reputation 2 edge, and a Good Looking & Knows It edge to boot.

He just has attitude, too. biggrin.gif
Whizbang
Umm...I have charisma 6 and ettiquette (magic) 1/3...but don't think that's what you're looking for.
GaiasWrath8
Very cool, I guess we can count on the wino to get us through this. smile.gif
Ol' Scratch
Hey!
GaiasWrath8
Sorry. smile.gif

So any clue how often the GM was planning on updating the post, just wondering so I could plan my day.
Kiedo
later in the evening, I was working while all of this happened. My usual scedule is from 3pm - 11pm so you guys happen to do it all while I'm at work. The darklord(walmart) doesn't have internet ready machines lowly dept. managers can use...

I'll whip up something snazzy in a little while, for some wierd reason they want me to come in from 6pm - 11pm tommorow so I'll be up all night.

I can post everyday for about a hour after work and from 5am to 6am. So things will be waiting for you once you get online, and likewise for me. I haven't been posting alot because I'd like the run to be character based, with me only telling you vague goals and adding a splash of color here and there. My tabletop group like to be babysat which drives me nuts, they don't want to do anything for themselves, they wait for me to let them arrive at locations, ask me what the game time is in slow points where there's no need for me to have absolute control of the four dimensions governing the world, ect, ect.

Just a little thing I'd like to have you guys do, Ecclesiastes did it when he was driving you guys around, I'd like you to divid traveling from point a to b into two posts preferably spaced out so that I have time to post in between if I feel something needs to happen, like petty getting pulled over for doing burnouts and things of that nature.
Shadow
YEah the problem is Doc, Ecc, Whiz, and I are all on at the same time, about 9am to 6pm PDT, so we all egg each other on in chats about our posts.

Will try to even it out though.
Kiedo
I'll leave you guys that to play off of.
GaiasWrath8
How much is a really large stake dinner?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012