Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowsprint: the Running
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cheops
Since I don't recall having started a thread for a long time (although I'm sure I have) and since I have to go to sleep and then wake up in 3 hours to go to work followed by school, here is my new thread.

Shadowsprint: the Running is a new RPG that will be introduced at GenCon this August. In no way does it resemble nWoD nor does it resemble Shadowrun. In fact it has the legally mandated 10 things different about it that makes it infeasible for said games to sue it. It combines all the best of the two games into one unrecognizable mash that has none of the flavour of either game.

To keep it simple and streamlined there are 20 different attributes (or should I say adjectives) to describe your character. No longer will you have to argue what attribute covers what! Just pick up your Shadowsprint Dictionary™ and you'll have an Oxford English equivalent description of the adjective (darn...I mean attribute) in question (which in no way is an infringement of the Oxford English dictionary). Like every other game ever created we will have a core mechanic that we will modify in every single chapter because it doesn't work for that aspect of the game (of course d20 figured this out and AD&D before it for people who could wrap their head around THAC0).

This can all be yours for the cheap price of $34.95 US plus another $25 US each for the 4 other expansion rule books that will be published. Plus every cover page is laced with Crack so that you can get your fix at the same time! Well, I'm finished my 6th beer for the evening so that means my shift in PR is over so it's time for me to sign off...adios motherf***kers!

I'm Rich B**ch!
Cheops
Shadowrun 3rd Edition acutally did a really good job of fixing its problems right before 4th edition was announced. Am I the only one on this board that read Johnson's Little Black Book? I used the Decker rules but even I found their simplified rules for Deckers and riggers (my two favorites btw) really appealing. In fact that whole book was full of great stuff (at least for the 30 or so pages of actual book) that helped the game.

Of course the book did suffer from some very MASSIVE, in my opinon, problems. Are fan fiction and sidebars now the replacement for Shadowtalk? What happened to Captain Chaos? Is this what SR$ will be like? If it is I'll cry because I liked the Shadowtalk.

Obviously this thread is meant to be inflamatory but other people are doing it and it has been a long time since I've really gotten embroiled in heated arguments with people here and I feel left out. Haha...flame away! It's a celebration b**ches!
Taki
lol ...
doesn't agree but I find it very funny !
SR4-WTF?
If it has NERPS, by whatever name, then I'll take two, and a T-shirt if they have got them.
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (Cheops @ Jun 6 2005, 06:53 AM)
Shadowrun 3rd Edition acutally did a really good job of fixing its problems right before 4th edition was announced.  Am I the only one on this board that read Johnson's Little Black Book?  I used the Decker rules but even I found their simplified rules for Deckers and riggers (my two favorites btw) really appealing.  In fact that whole book was full of great stuff (at least for the 30 or so pages of actual book) that helped the game.

I just read mfb's naughty NDA breaker and he seemed to say he found the concept underlying new decking rules were the one bright spot in the changes. If SR had started out using the decking rules in the MJLBB perhaps it would have been OK? But as it was it felt to me like more tired, rehashed jumble added to the heap that turned even more pages in other books into useless filler. Wrong way to see it? That is how it felt to me.

Of course the book did suffer from some very MASSIVE, in my opinon, problems.  Are fan fiction and sidebars now the replacement for Shadowtalk?  What happened to Captain Chaos?  Is this what SR$ will be like?  If it is I'll cry because I liked the Shadowtalk.

I don't think Shadowtalk has a place in the BBB. The BBB is crowded enough without it, or at least should be. Hopefully new supplemental books have it though, I always found it at it's best to be very enjoyable flavor text. Some might take exception to it's execution at times, but very few seem to want it to go away.

Obviously this thread is meant to be inflamatory but other people are doing it and it has been a long time since I've really gotten embroiled in heated arguments with people here and I feel left out.  Haha...flame away!  It's a celebration b**ches!

Agree, disagree, I thought it was silly enough to be funny and not inflamatory.
Edward
When I started playing SR and wanted to look at cyber wear I was handed man and machine and cyber technology and was told to reed both. This was a good call, some of the stuff feels much more real when you know what people in the world think about it (even if the arguments where written buy one person, as was probably the case). I would hate to have to send readers of the SR4 cyberwear book all the way back to SR2 publication to get a feal of the way these implants are viewed.

Edward
Cheops
Yeah...I think that may be what they are trying to do with SR4...get some of the feel back into the game. Whatever that feel happens to be. Shadowrun has gotten kinda big and warped by the changes in developers over the years. If the writers do a good job of the flavor and story I'd buy it...but likely still wouldn't use the rules.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012