Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Superior Ground
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
weblife
If you use the Levitate spell, and the room is not cramped, do you have a superior position in melee?

If you use Shape Earth to slope you forward (like Iceman or Avalanche from X-men), do you have superior footing?

I am very fond of Shape Earth, and use it frquently as we are often out of doors in the wilderness. But I've never claimed boni from using it.. So I'd like to hear your take on movement spells and the superior position modifier.
Backgammon
Yes for both, but whatch out for those sustaining modifiers, as well as the rule about taking damage while sustaining a spell (you have to make a test to not drop the spell or something)
SpasticTeapot
What about wallrunning? I've yet to obtain SOTA: 64, but I've read it; it seems to me like this is a great way to let characters get bonuses for doing all sorts of nifty acrobatic stunts. (Think Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.)
Aku
I thought that the wall climbing spell from sota 64 required you to start and end on a horizontal surface though?
Jrayjoker
And if it is anything more than a simple action to execute it you can't attack, just counter attack.
Edward
QUOTE (Backgammon)
the rule about taking damage while sustaining a spell (you have to make a test to not drop the spell or something)

Where is this one I had not been aware of it in SR.

Edward
Ol' Scratch
SR3 p. 178, "Sustained Spells."
Edward
thankyou
John Campbell
I'm not sure how practical that particular use of Shape Earth is, but I'm sure there are ways to use it to provide superior positioning. I'm not so sure about Levitate, though... while flight provides definite positional advantages, I think that the lack of secure footing would make it difficult to throw a solid blow.
Rice Bowl
- IT'S OVER ANAKIN, I HAVE HIGH GROUND.
- YOU UNDER-ESTIMATE MY POWER!
- DON'T TRY IT!
Edward
Anakin only had many levels in the great leap power, with levitate he would have ether made the jump or just floated for the fight, I think that the ability to control angle and make movements imposable if you had to rely on traditional footing would more than counter the lack of bracing against the ground.

Edward
Rice Bowl
Come on, don't mix up everything!

R2 D2 LEVITATED un-willing Anakin against Obi's un-willing lightsaber.

weblife
I'm not sure how "wobbly" your footing is when you levitate. I'd figure it to be something like being held by a large bag, that continually gives way if you force it.

Effectively being hard where you want it to be, and able to flex where you need to move.

I do not see it as the AD&D version, where it specifically states that recoil can make you unsteady. Its much more like AD&D Flight, except its even more maneuverable than that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012