Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Select sound vs. Damping
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Umbrage
Sound damping reduces the strength of damaging sounds. However, if I only have a select sound filter, can I just "tune out" the noise in question?
Edward
The select sound filter is not intended to do that, it takes time to tune in a select sound filter so high sped (noise grenades) and rapid, random oscillation systems (sonic disablers) would not be effective, I would allow something regular to be filtered out buy the select sound filter (such as the raw of a jet engine) but that would be a house rule and could easily be argued against.

Edward
SpasticTeapot
If I were a shadowrunner, I'd forego cyberears and just buy a pair of surplus earphones from a runway techie. Then, I just connect 'em up to my radio, and I lose most of the penalties. Considering that ear protection is mandratory at many firing ranges, I'm surprised that more shadowrunners don't use it.
Crimsondude 2.0
SSF gives you extra perception dice.
Backgammon
Think of it like this. A grenade goes off near you. With Dampening, you hear a soft *poof*.

With Select sound filter, you hear BOOOM, go "ARGH MY EARS" and then turn off the sound with your filters. Of course the sound is already gone by then and the damage is done, so basically that did nothing,

So Dampeners protect against sudden increases in noise, while SSF removes annoying background noises, mainly useful for eavesdropping or carrying (vocal) conversation in loud environements.
noname_hero
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot @ Jun 7 2005, 09:27 PM)
If I were a shadowrunner, I'd forego cyberears and just  buy a pair of surplus earphones from a runway techie. Then, I just connect 'em up to my radio, and I lose most of the penalties. Considering that ear protection is mandratory at many firing ranges, I'm surprised that more shadowrunners don't use it.

Because runners often can't walk around wearing earphones, and even if they could there'd still be the problem that earphones block *all* sounds, not just the loud ones.

Loud sounds (greandes, gunfire, ...) are high peaks in the signal. Dampener cuts off the peaks to an acceptable intensity but you hear the rest of the signal unmodified. Earmuffs dampen the whole signal, and that's something a runner can't afford. Runners *do* want to hear those guard's footsteps, you know??? Or the gunfire in the next room???
Tanka
QUOTE (noname_hero)
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot @ Jun 7 2005, 09:27 PM)
If I were a shadowrunner, I'd forego cyberears and just  buy a pair of surplus earphones from a runway techie. Then, I just connect 'em up to my radio, and I lose most of the penalties. Considering that ear protection is mandratory at many firing ranges, I'm surprised that more shadowrunners don't use it.

Because runners often can't walk around wearing earphones, and even if they could there'd still be the problem that earphones block *all* sounds, not just the loud ones.

Loud sounds (greandes, gunfire, ...) are high peaks in the signal. Dampener cuts off the peaks to an acceptable intensity but you hear the rest of the signal unmodified. Earmuffs dampen the whole signal, and that's something a runner can't afford. Runners *do* want to hear those guard's footsteps, you know??? Or the gunfire in the next room???

Pfft, who needs to live, really?
hobgoblin
heh, this thread reminded me that there was some reseach being done in norway for earplugs that had a kind of sound filter system. basicly they would filter out stuff like strong engine noise and similar while allowing people to hear voices just fine. it was supposed to be used by soldiers.

maybe i can dig up some more info on them.
SR4-WTF?
Devices like that have been around for years now. Scroll down to H-COMEAR - Command Ear.

I've tried out something like this before. They really do help you hear the quieter noises, and because all the sound you hear passes through electronics it can attenuates things that would normally do damage to your hearing.

However you'd still need a DNI for quick on-the-fly sculpting of the frequencies attenuated or amplified. Plus you'd look like a complete dork walking down the street with bigass muffs on.
hobgoblin
here is the stuff i as talking about:

http://www.nacre.no/

seems like its a combo of a sound filter and a radio, with the feature that the voice it records is the one you hear inside your ears when talking to yourself nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012