Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadows of ASia
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jrayjoker
http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/wordpress/?p=37

Now thats more like it!

Old school SR combat bikers and katana. I like it.
Slacker
Same here.
shadow_scholar
No offense to the artist, but, ugh, I don't dig it. The background is cool, but the foreground ain't my flavor of kool-aid.
Jrayjoker
I admit it, I got into SR for that kind of grit. I like the polished look and visceral content. It certainly conveys the explosive violence that can occur on a run.
SpasticTeapot
I have to agree with Shadow Scholar. However, I'm just happy that they're starting to return to the grungy cyberpunk coolness that makes Shadowrun different from everything else. No more cutesy crap, no more fancy-pants voodoo; this looks like Shadowrun is finally returning to its roots, more Gibson than Care Bears with kalashnikovs.

That said, it is just the cover.
Jon Szeto
Is it me, or was anyone else thinking of the scene in Black Rain where Andy Garcia's character got decapitated?
RangerJoe
As the french say, tres cool.

Although I stand by my earlier comment: with the Asiafication of the Pac Rim, it's sometimes hard to tell what SR art/symbols mean "this is set in Asia," and what SR symbols/art mean "this could be anywhere 2065."

/off to the noodle stand for udon and sake....
Jrayjoker
The interior pics that have been shown are also a return to the more realistic and grungier aspects IMO.
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
The interior pics that have been shown are also a return to the more realistic and grungier aspects IMO.

Methinks my characters are going to be making an exodus to Japan in the near future.
(This is not likely to be as much of a problem as one might think, considering that my players' characters include a Rouoni Kenshin cosplayer and another is a cat-guy. With the other two being trigger-happy psychopaths, they should fit in feudal japan just fine.)
hermit
.... feudal?

Anyway, pretty pic. Looks like Asia will be a bit of a return to the roots of cyberpunk.

Night City, Chiba ...? And I wonder whether we'll get referrences to Ralfie and his pink cyberarm ...
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (hermit)
.... feudal?

Anyway, pretty pic. Looks like Asia will be a bit of a return to the roots of cyberpunk.

Night City, Chiba ...? And I wonder whether we'll get referrences to Ralfie and his pink cyberarm ...

Memo to self:
Stay away from the little octogonal pills.
Synner
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 7 2005, 10:08 PM)

Asia is a pretty big place... roots, trunk, branches, a couple of other trees, everything fits.
Eldritch
QUOTE (Jon Szeto)
Is it me, or was anyone else thinking of the scene in Black Rain where Andy Garcia's character got decapitated?

Wow - that was my first thought...
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Jon Szeto @ Jun 7 2005, 09:29 PM)

Nope, not just you. smile.gif

*Cues up 'Black Rain Suite - Charlie Loses His Head' on the stereo*
Crimson Jack
Better than both the Loose Alliances and System Failure covers, IMO. And yeah, I was thinking Black Rain as well. Personally, I think a bit more shadow might have helped the illo, but eh... it's all right. smile.gif
Starglyte
The picture reminded me of Akira instead. But I guess that is due
to the fact that I have yet to see Black Rain.( Even though I own the
DVD).
Pistons
Watch it. It has a lot of grit, and shows off the Yakuza... it may be where we (as Americans) got our ideas of what they're like.
Grinder
I like it for its old school feeling smile.gif

Good to see that the new art has a realistic style, sth. i really like.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Grinder)
I like it for its old school feeling smile.gif

Good to see that the new art has a realistic style, sth. i really like.

Well, as realistic as katana wielding, cyber enhanced street sams can be. wink.gif
the_dunner
QUOTE (Starglyte)
The picture reminded me of Akira instead.

Between the red bike in the foreground and the cyberarm right next to it, this just screamed Kaneda/Tetsuo to me.

I love it. love.gif
JongWK
Yes, it brought back memories of Akira and Black Rain. As a matter of fact, they showed the latter on TV two days ago. biggrin.gif

"Oooh, I'll be holding on..." [/80's music]
Grinder
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Well, as realistic as katana wielding, cyber enhanced street sams can be. wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Compared to 3rd BBB or CC....
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ Jun 8 2005, 02:06 PM)

biggrin.gif

Compared to 3rd BBB or CC....

Absolutely. biggrin.gif
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Pistons)
Watch it. It has a lot of grit,

Grit? Weren't you the one posting about what the actual definition of the word was and its misuse? wink.gif

Although I will second the film recommendation. Definitely watch it.
Panzergeist
I was hoping for something more along the lines of National Lampoon's Mister Wong, with cyberlimbs and a gun.
Pistons
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (Pistons)
Watch it. It has a lot of grit,

Grit? Weren't you the one posting about what the actual definition of the word was and its misuse? wink.gif

Yes, and it falls both under the popular use and the dictionary definition of the word -- there's a lot of atmospheric dirt and coarseness (embodied in the American detectives, and what they uncover in Japan), as well as the pluck and determination brought up in the informal definition. smile.gif
Zen Shooter01
I love the cover art. When's the PDF going to be available?
Grinder
Who cares? I want the printed version! smile.gif
Adarael
Although I stand by my earlier comment: with the Asiafication of the Pac Rim, it's sometimes hard to tell what SR art/symbols mean "this is set in Asia," and what SR symbols/art mean "this could be anywhere 2065."

/off to the noodle stand for udon and sake....

You sir, have done hit the nail on the head for me.

Little story about life: I was downtown in Santa Barbara two weeks ago, wandering around looking for a nice pair of shoes. Now, in this perhaps fourty-five minute trek, I could not go more than 1/4th of a block without seeing Japanese somewhere on the street. On shirts. On signs. On shopping bags. On boxes. This, on a street well known for having a proliferation of italian, spanish, french, and russian-speaking tourists. Kinda made me a little bit wierded out, because it was like.. "Where'd national boundaries go?"

And then I remembered that in this 21st century, I can go and get myself a french shirt, drink some turkish coffee, go grab some oyakodon or lamb schwerma, and then head home watch a Russian movie. And I went, "Yeah. Go, destruction of traditional national boundaries!" At least with regards to cultural cross-pollenization and consumer goods.

And in 2065, I can't imagine it'll be a step backwards in any way, shape, or form. 10 times more jumbled, no doubt.

Note: Did anyone else catch that the katakana at the top of the cover says 'Shadowrun', and the kanji seems to say 'imashi' (kanji is the root for punishment, admonishment, caution, et cetera)...?
Bob the Ninja
Doesn't Fanpro need to get 4 books done by mid-August? Looks like we'll have SR3 material released well after SR4 is out.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Adarael)
"Yeah. Go, destruction of traditional national boundaries!" At least with regards to cultural cross-pollenization and consumer goods.

Amen.
Zen Shooter01
Ninja Bob: The PDF of LOOSE ALLIANCES is already out...I don't know about the print version. SHADOWS OF ASIA and SHADOWS OF LATIN AMERICA were supposed to hit as a doubletap, so we'll probably see both in mid-July. Then SYSTEM FAILURE will have to squeak under the wire in early August, I suppose.
Synner
Shadows of Asia should be out during this month (on schedule). Shadows of Latin America has had a bumpy ride and final release date is to be defined. Finally System Failure is being readied for Origins release and work on SR4 is ongoing in the background.
hermit
When will Loose Alliances finally hit retailers? Been waiting for my copy for two weeks now, and my FLGS keeps telling me they have no delivery date yet.
Grinder
Same here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012