Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Playing SR online
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bomber
I'm sure that there are several of you in here that play SR online in some format. Just wanted to get a good feel of how you guys go about it, and how does the introduction of another edition (or an entirely different game as some assert), change things for you.

See how I kept it in the SR4 category! biggrin.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
Biggest change to consider would be the diceroller.

SL6 already has exploding dice and karma rerolls built-in, and counts successes, but now it would have to be limited to uses of Edge. It would also have to accomodate whatever other dice mechanics exist that aren't d6 vs. TN 5 (i.e., initiative, etc.)

And that would be an "in addition to" for those who won't be using SR4.
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
It would also have to accomodate whatever other dice mechanics exist that aren't d6 vs. TN 5 (i.e., initiative, etc.)

Initiative is TN 5. They have yet to mention any roll that is not TN 5. Ya, that leaves me scratching my head about how Initiative works, almost as much as how they are going to do a Magic Loss check with TN 5. If there are still Magic Loss checks.
Kagetenshi
We at SotSW use an AIM chatroom. The AIM dieroller is essentially identical to physical dice except for some suspected weaknesses in their pseudorandom number generator and the ability to choose any number of sides from 1 to 999 and any number of dice at a time from 1 to 15 (further dice are gained by just giving a second roll command), so even if we do switch to SR4 the introduction of a new edition doesn't change things from a technical perspective.

We maintain a message board for scheduling/charsheets/etc. that will be likewise totally unaffected.

~J
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (SR4-WTF? @ Jun 7 2005, 10:03 PM)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Jun 7 2005, 10:52 PM)
It would also have to accomodate whatever other dice mechanics exist that aren't d6 vs. TN 5 (i.e., initiative, etc.)

Initiative is TN 5. They have yet to mention any roll that is not TN 5. Ya, that leaves me scratching my head about how Initiative works, almost as much as how they are going to do a Magic Loss check with TN 5. If there are still Magic Loss checks.

Nah. It's not a skill te... Well, actually I can't say that it won't be.

God only know what it'll be.
SR4-WTF?
Skill or not, Initiative rolls are TN 5 based checks.
Crimsondude 2.0
Oh dear god...
Bomber
QUOTE (SR4-WTF?)

No big deal...that just means that you go faster the more "hits" you get.
RangerJoe
Whoa. Freaky. Kind of like the Deadlands system, only without the cards.
Shadow
For me it could be the end of my online gaming. Which is pretty much the only gaming I do these days. If SR4 is really popular and people start switching there will be less willingness for the player base to want to play in SR3. Or they will want to use SR3 'modified' to play like SR4.

I cannot afford,and I don't want, to upgrade to a new system . So for me at least I will be still running games in SR3. But if all the other gm's run in SR4 I will be out of luck.

If by some miracle SR4 is a good system and I do choose to upgrade, it will slow things down considerably. I have 7 years of electronic resources for SR3. None for SR4. No more Mcmackies or online character sheets, my R3 tool is useless, etc.

It could have significant impact, it could not. At the very least in a few years (maybe less) I won't be able to play in a game cause everyone will be running SR4, and I will not have the rules to do it.
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (Bomber)
QUOTE (SR4-WTF?)

No big deal...that just means that you go faster the more "hits" you get.

I am guessing one complex action per hit, minimum one complex action. I think the big question is whether or not 'ware adds hits or dice. No more subtacting by 10 each phase, but likely more initiative ties to resolve.
Ol' Scratch
Or each hit could represent one phase, much like now. Each character rolls Reaction or Reaction plus some kind of skill like Combat Training or something. The character with the most hits goes first, then the next, then the next, then the next. After everyone has had a turn, they all subtract one hit from their total and repeat until no more hits exist. Those who didn't score any hits may be treated as if they were stunned or otherwise caught with their pants down during the turn and can only perform defensive/free actions.

Just throwing up another possibility. This one keeps it close to how it works now, introduces a mechanic where anyone -- even a highly augmented character -- can be caught off-guard without having to use a Surprise mechanic as well, and allows even unaugmented characters the rare chance to do better than someone with heavy boosts. Improved reflexes would give you reliablility over the long term rather than a guarantee that you'd always go fast, and as such prices for those augmentations could be drastically lowered (as they should have been with SR3, too).
chevalier_neon
Or maybe just one single action per success, and a complex action would require by example 3 single actions...
From my experience, in those kind of system (let's say WoD system, but please, don't yell at me), the initiative rules are always following a separate way than the other rules...
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (chevalier_neon)
Or maybe just one single action per success, and a complex action would require by example 3 single actions...

That would require a lot of dice rolled to have more than 1 complex action per initiative roll on a regular basis. You'd spend a lot of combat time rolling initiative, and if you happened to roll less than a full complex action it would really fork you over.

I must say that after going from AD&D rolling initiative for each round of actions to how 3e only rolls it once for an entire combat I have to say I really have liked rolling initiative less often. Not sure a single roll per combat would work that well in SR, but I can't see increasing the number of times you roll iniative to be good thing.
Critias
QUOTE (chevalier_neon)
From my experience, in those kind of system (let's say WoD system, but please, don't yell at me), the initiative rules are always following a separate way than the other rules...

You know an average human being (Quickness 3) would very probably be lucky to get a single simple action per phase, right?

Plus we'd have a ton of mages either never casting spells (or investing right away in Increased Reflexes of some sort), a ton of street sammies who barely get to fire their assault rifles on full auto once a turn, and a whole bunch of adepts really steamed off they can only attempt melee combat if they roll real well on their initiative.
Nikoli
unless you save your actions earned until the next roll and then roll again adding them on.
Ol' Scratch
Which would just get tedious and boring really quick as you roll and roll and roll and roll and roll... each one representing 6 seconds.
mmu1
You're all assuming that having a high initiative will give you more actions, when it's possible that all it'll do is let you go first, like in most other systems. It'd definitely make the game simpler... *shudder*
Critias
QUOTE (Nikoli)
unless you save your actions earned until the next roll and then roll again adding them on.

Right. It makes perfect sense that Joe Soldier, an average-stat infantryman serving in any military anywhere in the world, can fire a four-shot burst from his assault rifle once every eighteen seconds, with average rolls.

If anything, I see one complex/two simples = one success on the initiative test. I'm curious, though, to see how Edge will interact with that "initiative test." There was never a way to spend KP on Init, before.
Nikoli
Right, cause joe spell-slinger needs a minute and a half to empty the same gun that it takes Joe sammy 45 seconds to unload, both firing "full auto"
neither instance makes sense in an isolated, uninformed forum such as this duscussion. We don't know the mechanic they plan on using with any certainty. I was just tossing an idea. Maybe each toss for init represents 1 second. so you'd get six tosses per turn to come up with actions. (Just thinking out loud, I don't think that would be the case asn that's just too much rolling).
Taki
wwoooowww.
Funny initiative test ... Were you thinking what you wrote ?
Do you really think the number of action will so much depend on the dices ???
If there is a test reaction + X vs TN5 to count as action, there will surely be a base number of action.
Or it can't be more as the old initiative sum.

Anyway it can't be so unbalanced as proposed : it as been playtested more than 2 hours.
Nikoli
that's not a proposed system Taki.
That was an idea tossed from the top of my head, as a counter point to a previously mention thing.
Taki
Sorry Nikoli, I sometimes have misconception of the "you", I wasn't adressed on your statement which is very correct, but on some guessings above ...
By the way, I bet the index of Sam (edit:)KEEPING triggering a full auto smg will probably stay quicker to empty the clip than joe's in SR4 too
(it always seemed strange to me)
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (mmu1)
You're all assuming that having a high initiative will give you more actions, when it's possible that all it'll do is let you go first, like in most other systems. It'd definitely make the game simpler... *shudder*

It would cut down on dice rolls, but Init rolling was a fairly small portion of SR3 combat because of the arms race that Iniative was lead to more actions for each roll. In total how many different types of 'ware and magic were there to boost Reaction and Init? It was a pretty damn popular catagory.

I would like there to be a bit more even ratio of actions between the fastest and slowest per Init roll. Maybe if the base is 2 or 3 complex actions + 1 complex/hit. Actually if you increased the base that much having 1 simple action/hit becomes more feasible.
Nikoli
the RoF should be the same, it's the accuracy/efficiency that should be different. The highly trained sammy will be putting a much higher percentage of rounds on target where joe nobody is just wasting lead and causing a distraction. Now, mind you I sure as hell would not run into an area where someone is spraying lead, because you don't know how lucky they are compared to you.

SR4-WTF?
I remember in the main DSF someone had a house rule about FA suppresive fire would actually be in effect from when it was enacted till the PCs next action.

Perhaps all FA could be made that way. When you use FA you designate an area you are targeting, roll your attack, and record the number of hits. Anyone that passes into that area before your next action can be the target of the attack. Every target attacked reduces the number of hits available for the next target entering the area.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Shadow)
For me it could be the end of my online gaming. Which is pretty much the only gaming I do these days. If SR4 is really popular and people start switching there will be less willingness for the player base to want to play in SR3. Or they will want to use SR3 'modified' to play like SR4.

Not necessarily. Some of us don't see a lot of places to house rule SR3 once given free reign except with some decking and most rigging.

Not that I've seen a lot of either recently on SL.
mfb
i ran the only rigger game i know of, on SL. it failed miserably, due in large part to the rigging rules.
Kagetenshi
Someday. Someday I'll find someone else who likes the Rigging rules, and then I'll show you all!

~J
mfb
your nefarious scheme will never succeed as long as a single autobot still stands, megatron! and quit filching my goddamn energon cubes.
Shadow
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Someday. Someday I'll find someone else who likes the Rigging rules, and then I'll show you all!

~J

Grendel.
Bigity
I like em without the MIJI and some of the other optional rules. I like to create/customize vehicles, but until someone comes up with a SR3 version of The Shop, I don't do it often.
Kagetenshi
Like I say, if people in your game use encryption you might as well throw out all of MIJI that isn't Jamming, because no one's getting anything done with the rest of it.

~J
Raiko
QUOTE (shadow)

I cannot afford,and I don't want, to upgrade to a new system . So for me at least I will be still running games in SR3. But if all the other gm's run in SR4 I will be out of luck.

If by some miracle SR4 is a good system and I do choose to upgrade, it will slow things down considerably. I have 7 years of electronic resources for SR3. None for SR4. No more Mcmackies or online character sheets, my R3 tool is useless, etc.

It could have significant impact, it could not. At the very least in a few years (maybe less) I won't be able to play in a game cause everyone will be running SR4, and I will not have the rules to do it.

As long as you're running SR3 games online, I for one will still be playing in them.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012