Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scopes, goggles and cybereyes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
nezumi
Sort of a silly question, but... Do goggles, binoculars or cybereyes work as scopes when using a firearm? They all allow for vision magnification, and I can imagine it working well with a smartlink or a laser sight, but at the same time, I can't imagine aiming through a pair of goggles or (eek!) binoculars. And I can imagine everyone dropping their scopes if cybereyes work just as well.

So... Do they replace scopes or no?
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jun 8 2005, 09:15 AM)
Sort of a silly question, but...  Do goggles, binoculars or cybereyes work as scopes when using a firearm?  They all allow for vision magnification, and I can imagine it working well with a smartlink or a laser sight, but at the same time, I can't imagine aiming through a pair of goggles or (eek!) binoculars.  And I can imagine everyone dropping their scopes if cybereyes work just as well.

So...  Do they replace scopes or no?

By canon, the vision mag cyberware functions as a scope of the same rating. Binoculars and goggles do not have this listed as a benefit.

As a house rule, I requre a combination of Vision Mag (X) + Smartlink to be Scope (X). (You only get the scope bonus, not the smartlink) You need something to put a crosshair on your now-enlarged target.

QUOTE (SR3 P.300)
Vision Magnification:  This enhancement magnifies the visual image in the same manner as an imaging scope (p.280) and can modify a target number based on range (see p.110).
The Stainless Steel Rat
QUOTE (Luke Hardison)
As a house rule, I requre a combination of Vision Mag (X) + Smartlink to be Scope (X). (You only get the scope bonus, not the smartlink) You need something to put a crosshair on your now-enlarged target.

Seems a little restrictive to me. A simple reflex scope will put a crosshair in your field of vision, and if you can magnify it yourself then I don't see the problem. And if they can zoom in AND have the reticles in field of vision why not allow the smartlink bonus?

In my games I allow sniping with open sights if you have vision mag. I kinda thought that was the point of getting it in the first place...
Edward
For internal vision mag and goggles I would allow it, binoculars not so much, trying to hold both the gun and the goggles steady would be very difficult if not imposable.

Edward
mfb
with the way scopes and cybereye magnification works, i can see why they aren't allowed to be used in SR--it'd break the game. with more realistic rules (to start with, you should only be able to see targets that are within the range you're magnified to, and it should take a complex action to change ranges on a scope; simple action for cybereyes or cyber-controlled scopes), smartlinks + magnification would be more workable.
Nikoli
I think the main reason they made that call about the Vision Mag + SL modifiers is that with a long distance shot, in perfect, labratory conditions it's a TN 2 to hit the target. Now, add to that that most GM's I've played with that complained about the ease with qwhich Gun enthusiasts were killing things never once appied movement, lighting, environmental, cover, glare, etc. penalties to the TN. I've run some models with an excel sheet based on the rules and on a given night in Seattle, (light rain/drizzle) at night with naught but tactical lights and street lamps for lighting (partial light), at ranges of around 30m (far enough that you receive glare from the street lamps further down the road) you are looking at a TN of 6 while walking after your target, for a chracter with low-light, flare comp, vision mag 3 and a SL wielding a HP.

Not exactly an easy shot, add in the -2 from SL and now it's a 4. seems reasonable, and it's not instant death (unless the sammy rolls well)
Clyde
With a decent weapon, any TN under 6 is instant death in my experience. Mind, I don't consider an HP a decent weapon . . . My players run to submachinegun bursts at a minimum, though.

I'd have no problem letting magnifying goggles reduce target numbers for range, but they don't come with a rating. I'd probably treat the things as a rating one scope for this purpose. Definitely not the binoculars though.
Raygun
I don't allow any bonuses from vision magnification or goggles to apply to firearm target number modifiers. Period. At magnification, the points of reference you would use to align the gun with the target would be

A) Extremely difficult to see. When you focus on the target hundreds of meters out, the sights you use to align the gun with the target, being only a matter of inches from your face, become grossly out of focus (the higher the magnification, the worse it gets).

B) Become nearly useless at high magnification. The common "notch-and-post" or "aperture-and-post" iron sight arrangements are usually designed to be fast, relatively close range sighting instruments and are thus large and easy-to-see at no magnification. At high magnification, if you could somehow manage to keep the sights in focus while looking at the target, they will offer no help in relation to each other. In other words, instead of comfortably resting a post in the center of an aperture or notch with relatively little room for lateral and vertical movement, the notch becomes a huge hole that the post floats in freely. The sighting error becomes enormous.

If you were to use finer sights that are designed to be used at high magnification, they will be fragile and easily broken, as well as impossible to see at little or no magnification.

C) Unless you are absolutely rock steady, the sights will bounce around uncontrollably your field of vision. Not only is vision magnified, so are the minute and uncontrollable shaking movements of your body. For example, if you were to use a non-magnifying red dot sight with a very fine dot at high magnification, that dot would be very unstable unless you were lying absolutely prone and completely still. Even then, depending on how high the magnification, your own heartbeat may interfere with sight alignment.

If you want to give it a try, get a pair of binoculars (7-10x) and try to find the sights of a handgun in front of you. Good luck.
nezumi
Thanks Raygun, a quick question then...

If I were to use a laser with, would A and B still be concerns? I'm guessing not.

I'm not totally clear how C would apply with goggles, but not with a standard scope. Is this because the scope on the gun is more stable than goggles on your head? Or is it because the gun AND the goggles are both moving, whereas with a scope they move at the same time?
Nikoli
I'd imagine that it's because the scope and rifle move together, also a rifle's sights set up for distance shooting.

IIRC, in WWII they used dyed spider silk for some sights, just to put the frailty of the sighting mechanism into perspective for you.
Raygun
QUOTE (nezumi)

If I were to use a laser with, would A and B still be concerns? I'm guessing not.

A projected laser would be the only type of sighting device that would function somewhat well with vision magnification. But they have their problems, too.

I'm not totally clear how C would apply with goggles, but not with a standard scope.  Is this because the scope on the gun is more stable than goggles on your head?  Or is it because the gun AND the goggles are both moving, whereas with a scope they move at the same time?

It does apply to both, but the effect is amplified by not having the magnification source and reticle both rigidly attached to each other and then to the rifle. With the scope, the movement you're concerned with happens between the reticle in the scope and the target. When the magnifying source isn't rigidly attached to the rifle, you effectively amplify the effects of any movement made by having the reticle as part of the magnified image.

Vaevictis
My impression was that you could not use smartlink with scopes, but you _could_ use it with magnification cyberware or adept powers. It rather makes sense, if you think about it -- the smartlink cyberware would not know if you're using a scope and thus would not adjust for the magnification, but if you have the adept power or the cyberware, it could be setup to adjust for it on installation.

Not only does it make sense to me, but the rulebook is... silent on the issue of it not working with cyberware magnification and/or adept powers. If you'll look at the equipment, the Smartlink prohibition is encoded in the actual scope gear (sr3.280), but the rule about image magnification (sr3.110). Of course, the smartlink not working with ANY image magnification might be yet somewhere else; sr3 is pretty poorly organized and I might have missed it.

... and as far as ease of killing with guns go... well, that cuts both ways, my friend. What a character can do, the enemy can do also. A clever GM will come up with a setup that requires you to leave most of your equipment (armor) behind, and then let you run into a nice little contingent of Ares security guards wearing security armor and sporting Ares Alphas. *shrug*
Supercilious
Raygun seems to have summed it up nicely, I agree with what he said, as it makes the most sense, aswell as meshing with the SR3 system near perfectly.
mfb
raygun, i always thought you aligned scopes to the weapon it's mounted on, so that you can use markings on the scope itself to aim, instead of using the weapon's iron sights through the scope--you know, the classic sniper's view, with notched crosshairs centered around the target. is this a hollywoodism?
nick012000
QUOTE (Raygun)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jun 8 2005, 07:24 PM)

If I were to use a laser with, would A and B still be concerns?  I'm guessing not.

A projected laser would be the only type of sighting device that would function somewhat well with vision magnification. But they have their problems, too.

I'm not totally clear how C would apply with goggles, but not with a standard scope.  Is this because the scope on the gun is more stable than goggles on your head?  Or is it because the gun AND the goggles are both moving, whereas with a scope they move at the same time?

It does apply to both, but the effect is amplified by not having the magnification source and reticle both rigidly attached to each other and then to the rifle. With the scope, the movement you're concerned with happens between the reticle in the scope and the target. When the magnifying source isn't rigidly attached to the rifle, you effectively amplify the effects of any movement made by having the reticle as part of the magnified image.

Or a Smartlink targeting reticle, which is like a laser, but better. wink.gif

And Flare Comp removes the penalty from flare, and with an ultrasonic sight + goggles, and lowlight/thermographic vision, you can ignore or greatly reduce the majority of the TN penalties mentioned by Nikoli's first post. If you want, you can even get a gyroharness to remove the penalty for walking.
Raygun
QUOTE (mfb)
raygun, i always thought you aligned scopes to the weapon it's mounted on, so that you can use markings on the scope itself to aim, instead of using the weapon's iron sights through the scope--you know, the classic sniper's view, with notched crosshairs centered around the target. is this a hollywoodism?

No, you're right. Rifle scopes have a reticle within the scope that is independent of the weapon's iron sights. The scope is one sighting device, iron sights are another. They are never used together.

QUOTE (nick012000)
Or a Smartlink targeting reticle, which is like a laser, but better.

Well, arguments could be made against that (and likely have been), depending on how hard-assed the GM is. Mainly dealing with how the two systems interface and which magnification type is used (electronic or optical). But generally I would agree that it should be possible to use cyber vision magnification and a smartlink together.

I also don't agree with the notion that scopes and smartlinks can't be used together. It basically boils down to a game balance issue and the mechanics used to simulate how that would work. I'm not a huge fan of the mechanic used to drop target numbers with vision magnification over range. Having magnification may make things easier to see, but that alone does not necessarily make them any easier to hit.
mfb
yeah. again, it'd probably work better if scopes weren't so damn awesome. there is never a downside to using a scope except that you can't use a smartlink with them.

about iron sights + cybernetic magnification. i never thought of the fact that your sights would effectively be a dim haze, at higher levels of magnification. think it'd be unrealisitic to apply a +4 TN mod, or so, to any attempt to shoot with iron sights while using cybernetic vision mag? you'd have to use a laser sight, or some specially-designed sight system (maybe a modified reflex sight, i'm not sure) in order to take advantage of your magnification.
nick012000
Well, at Medium Range, you're better off using the Smartlink than the scope, and at Long range the TN s the same either way. It's only at Extreme range that it is advantageous to use a scpoe over the smartlink.
Nikoli
The cyber versions do not negate all modifiers. They counter them 50%, the exception being Flare compensation seems to be 100% against flare modifiers.

Natural or Adept powers work better and more often negate fully the modifiers.

My earlier example was for a cybered runner with lowlight, thermal and flare comp and vision mag 3.
Critias
QUOTE (Nikoli)
The cyber versions do not negate all modifiers. They counter them 50%, the exception being Flare compensation seems to be 100% against flare modifiers.

Natural or Adept powers work better and more often negate fully the modifiers.

My earlier example was for a cybered runner with lowlight, thermal and flare comp and vision mag 3.

Never, ever, forget Eyelights. Ever. They mess with visibility modifiers like it's goin' outta style.
Nikoli
Yup, but pricey
Critias
But undeniably effective, and as such worth mentioning when discussing the effects of visibility modifiers on ranged combat.
Angelone
Can't check my SR book now as a friends borrowing it, but how well do cybereyes with magnifacation 3 and smartlink 2 system with a rangefinder (what most of my gun-bunnies have) compare to a scope. I know the smartlink 2 and rangefinder are a nice combo (-1 for long range, -2 for extreme) the cyber mag. would basically allow you to see that far. Or does it give some bonus I'm forgetting?

Edit- Do scopes allow you to see farther or something?
mfb
at long range, SL + rangefinder will be TN 4; at extreme, it'll be TN 6. magnification is TN 4 across the board (since there's no reason to ever get less than rating 3 magnification).
Raygun
QUOTE (mfb)
about iron sights + cybernetic magnification. i never thought of the fact that your sights would effectively be a dim haze, at higher levels of magnification.

Even at fairly low magnification (say 3x), the rear sight is going to lose definition to the point that it is effectively useless. You remember how the large aperture of the M16A2 sight just kind of hazes out when you focus on the front sight (the "ghost ring" effect)? It would be like that only worse. You're magnified to the point that the rear sights offers no point of reference at all. Even the smaller aperture wouldn't be much help. You'd need a really, really tiny pinhole aperture and fine, knife-edge front sight to make iron sights worth anything under useful magnification at long range.

think it'd be unrealisitic to apply a +4 TN mod, or so, to any attempt to shoot with iron sights while using cybernetic vision mag?

I think I'd make it worse than that, to the point that they're better off just eating the range modifier. Say, +6. They shouldn't get any advantage at all if they don't have any point of reference to align with the target. It's nearly blind fire. (I'm assuming you're still applying the magnification modifier here.)

you'd have to use a laser sight, or some specially-designed sight system (maybe a modified reflex sight, i'm not sure) in order to take advantage of your magnification.

Yeah, a red dot might be another story. Generally the dot is made fairly large so that it is easy to see, and even at medium range for the weapon, the dot still covers the area in which the bullet will strike, though it is not so precise. I don't think it should be a big deal to have a large, short range range dot that can be switched to a small, drop-compensating dot for long range use in a single unit. Of course, that is only useful if the character had vision mag and no smartlink, or the gun had no smartlink hardware. On the down side, motion would be an issue. Unless you were stock still, that reticle would bounce all over your field of view.
mfb
yeah. the more i think about it, the more it seems like cybernetic vision mag should only be useful with smartlinked weapons, or partially useful with reflex/laser/magic voodoo sights.

the only way i could see cybernetic mag being useful is if you came up with a new piece of cyberware, some sort of sensory processor that would allow you to focus your eyes independently but still collate the visual data they take in. that way, one eye could keep the sights in visual focus, while the other eye zooms in on the target; the sensory processor would allow you to combine those data into a workable sight picture. you'd still take a hit, though, since you really need both eyes for depth perception, but i'd probably allow such a system to reduce the using-iron-sights-with-cybernetic-mag modifier to +2 or so.
Fortune
QUOTE (mfb)
at long range, SL + rangefinder will be TN 4; at extreme, it'll be TN 6. magnification is TN 4 across the board (since there's no reason to ever get less than rating 3 magnification).

I believe the TN at Extreme Range with a Smartlink/Rangefinder combo is 5, not 6.
mfb
you're right. forgot, it's -2 TN at extreme.
Jrayjoker
I was so happy to find that combo in my last game I almost peed.
Fortune
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
I was so happy to find that combo in my last game I almost peed.

Vision Mag 3 with an Extended Laser Sight gives you a (base) TN of 3 at any range.
Critias
Great, now he's gonna make a mess on the carpet. We just had it cleaned. This is why we can't have nice things!
Tziluthi
Vision Mag 3 with an Extended Laser Sight gives you a (base) TN of 3 at any range.

Up to 500 metres at night, and 150 during the day or with reasonable lighting, right?
Fortune
Yeah, the standard LS is 150 at night and 50 during the day.
nezumi
The extended range one is what, 500? Buying the standard for anything bigger than a pistol is like buying a smartlink 1.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012