Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reaction as a purchased attribute.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shadow
Reaction has always been a derivative of qui+int/2. Some argue that it leads to ubberstatting.

Some people have very fast reaction times but are neither agile or smart. What would be issues for having reaction be a purchased attribute?
Nikoli
None as far as I see.
It is one of the listed new attributes, isn't it?
hermit
Well, I see issues with having a much slower character progression than before, since much more Karma is needed for a comparable boost in attributes if you have to spend on three, and not two - but that's definitly not a horrible thing.

I would guess that Reaction (supposing initiative is still calculated in a comparable way, reaction + X, X being determined by a die roll) will, like Edge, become a new must-have attribute, but again, I don't believe it will be as bad as the old intelligence (high intelligence made you perceptive, school smart AND fast - in SR3 world, there simply are no Einstein-ish nutty professors).

But the new attributes are my favourite part of SR4 so far, so I may oversee issues.
Nikoli
It is possible that costs and Karma granting guidelines are balanced against the increased number and weight of attributes
SR4-WTF?
If the effective ceiling on each attribute is lower, which it sounds like the case, spreading around the karma spending on more stats is offset by less spending for each stat.

Plus what Nikoli said.
Eldritch
Iniative? You roll a d20 and add your dex bonus right? grinbig.gif

Oh and your Imprioved Initiative feat....

I dunno - will there be any more derived stats? I don't remember them mentionion that anywhere....

Shadow
My impression was that each attribute was capped at 6 (+/- racial modifiers).

My assumption is that the starting attributes for characters will be much lower than in the current game. Having a single 4 will probably make you really good, the rest of your atts will be ones, two's, and the occasional three.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Shadow)
My impression was that each attribute was capped at 6 (=/- racial modifiers).

I'm pretty sure that's what the FAQ said, but it might be open to interpretation.
Panzergeist
I totally agree with the new attributes in SR4. Intelligence in SR3 is a must-have for everyone, so the game ends up being full of MENSA samurai. As for quickness and reaction, quickness is physical, relating to joint flexibility and muscle speed, whereas reaction is more mental and related to the nervous system.

As for edge being a must-have, that really depends on how it is used. If it is used like karma pool, allowing players to re-roll all failures on a test, then yes, it will be vital. But I expect it will be less powerful than karma pool, since it will no longer be representing the advantage of experienced characters who will be just plain better than others, and will be a choice by the player rather than growing at a set rate. I think one of the goals of the new system is that there should be no attributes that every character absolutely has to have a high rating in. Hence the division of intelligence.

One other thing about reaction: Since it involves rounding fractions, it often leads to players deliberately making intelligence and quickness add up to an even number, so they don't "waste" an attribute point for no reaction increase.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Shadow)
My impression was that each attribute was capped at 6 (+/- racial modifiers).

My assumption is that the starting attributes for characters will be much lower than in the current game. Having a single 4 will probably make you really good, the rest of your atts will be ones, two's, and the occasional three.

Average attribute scores are remaining the same, so I doubt if it'll be drastically lower. The only thing that's changing is the pre-racial maximum is dropping to 6 rather than 9.

In the current system, it only takes one point more than what you get for an Attribute priority of D or 34 Build Points to be an "average" person with 3's across the board, and even if you went with a priortiy of A/60 points, you're still only averaging out at 5. So beyond countering for the fact that there's 8 core attributes and 4 special ones (whcih, by the way, is exactly the same number as we have now, just with 6 core and 6 special ones... but no, SR4's setup is more complex nyahnyah.gif), there's no real need to lower the relative averages. But I did get the impression that they were for whatever reason.

One thing I like about WoD (dunno if it works this way in the newer version) is how they forced you to prioritize your attribute and skill groups. For example, you had to choose which one was your strongest, weakest, and average group of attributes, then you receievd your points based upon those priorities. That's one thing I wouldn't have minded them borrowing, truth be told. But then again, I love prioritized character creation methods and that seems to be in the minority. Still, it would have helped keep attributes and skills in check a bit.

Hmm, kinda lost where I was going here... bah. I'll post it despite that. Not having a point is par of the course around here anyway.
Cain
Average attribute scores are remaining the same, so I doubt if it'll be drastically lower. The only thing that's changing is the pre-racial maximum is dropping to 6 rather than 9.

We actually don't know that yet. The racial max might just be for chargen, just like it is now. The FAQs have been vauge enough that it's still a tossup.
In the current system, it only takes one point more than what you get for an Attribute priority of D or 34 Build Points to be an "average" person with 3's across the board, and even if you went with a priortiy of A/60 points, you're still only averaging out at 5. So beyond countering for the fact that there's 8 core attributes and 4 special ones (whcih, by the way, is exactly the same number as we have now, just with 6 core and 6 special ones... but no, SR4's setup is more complex  nyahnyah.gif ), there's no real need to lower the relative averages. But I did get the impression that they were for whatever reason.

Let's count it out:
SR3: Strength, Quickness, Body, Charisma, Intelligence, Willpower, Reaction, Magic, Essence. 9 attributes, 6 core and 3 special.

SR4: Strength, Agility, Body, Charisma, Intuition, Reason, Willpower, Reaction, Magic, Essence, Edge, and Resonance. 12 attributes, 7 core and 5 special*.

We're looking at an addition of 3 attributes, 1 core and 2 special. The two special ones will likely come with their own mechanical exceptions, which really doesn't help the claim of "simplifying the system".

*This depends on how Reaction works. If there isn't an Initiative skill, then it'll have a unique mechanic, which pushes it into a special attribute.

One thing I like about WoD (dunno if it works this way in the newer version) is how they forced you to prioritize your attribute and skill groups. For example, you had to choose which one was your strongest, weakest, and average group of attributes, then you receievd your points based upon those priorities. That's one thing I wouldn't have minded them borrowing, truth be told. But then again, I love prioritized character creation methods and that seems to be in the minority. Still, it would have helped keep attributes and skills in check a bit.

That's another thing that puzzles me about SR4. If it's supposed to be a simpler system, a priority system would have been much better than the proposed points system. As advertised, the new system is going to have progressive costs for attributes (and likely for skills as well); that's just not as simple as the old priority table.
Nikoli
Umm, Magic and Reaction are purchased up, and not derived in any manner, that makes it 10 Core, 2 special.
Ol' Scratch
Let's count it out:

Let's.

SR3 Core Attributes: Body, Quickness, Strength, Charisma, Intelligence, Willpower. That's six attributes that follow the same general rules for the most part.

SR3 Unique Attributes: Reaction, Initiative, Essence, Bio Index, Magic, and an Otaku's MPCP (not to mention all their other ones, but I'm just going to include MPCP as its the equivalence to Resonance). Every single one of those six attributes use a completely different system to determine their value, how they're used to resolve things, and their impact on the character's abilities. Every last one of them.

That's twelve.

SR4 Core Attributes: Body, Agility, Reaction, Strength, Charisma, Intuition, Reason, Willpower. That's eight attributes that all follow the same general rules.

SR4 Non-Core Attributes: Edge, Magic, Resonance. These are still purchased in the same way as the core attributes but have their own rules apparently. That's three semi-unique attributes.

SR4 Unique Attributes: Essence (there has been no mention of a Bio Index type of attribute yet, so it's being ignored). That's one.

Twelve on each side. SR3 two 50% more attributes that follow their own rules and 600% more that not only follow their own rules but have their own rules for calculating their values.

That's another thing that puzzles me about SR4. If it's supposed to be a simpler system, a priority system would have been much better than the proposed points system. As advertised, the new system is going to have progressive costs for attributes (and likely for skills as well); that's just not as simple as the old priority table.

I agree for the most part. I would have preferred to still have a standard Priority system, too, as for me, that's one of the key components for what defined Shadowrun as Shadowrun when I first started playing. But I wouldn't go so far as to say its more complex, just different. Afterall, with the standard Priority system, you have to not only juggle around your alphabet until you get all the components you were hoping for, but then you have to spend the points each one of those priorities gives you, and readjusting in the middle of creation meant having to almost go back to the start to readjust all five priorities. It's simple in practice, but not concept.
hermit
I think the 'simplified' SR4 attributes are meant to work all roughly the same for being caculated (excluding Essence and, presumably, bio index). Unlike with SR3, where there were so many ways of calculating attribute. Also, the split of intelligence is really a good thing, even if it does add one more attribute to keep track of, since it splits a stat that was very abstract into two that are pretty intuitive.

Also, this will hopefully cut down on the times you have to explain a new player how to roll a perception test and why perception and cognitive tests needed the same attribute, but reaction and quickness don't. Having myself explained how Reaction is determined, how the pools relate to the attributes, what to roll for a perception test and why Reaction is so different from Quickness, I know how non-intuitive the SR3 system is.

Hence, even if SR4 netto adds a new attribute (I don't presume BI is gone, even if it hasn't been mentioned, making it 12 vs. 13), the system is much simpler, more intuitive and easier to grasp for someone who hasn't played SR since SR1.
SR4-WTF?
Myself I always found the Priority System harder to work with. But I also tend to tweak a lot building a PC, and also enjoy having characters somewhat outside the archtypes. So I often fell prey to the problem Dr. Funk mentions of reassigning letters mid-process.

But for SR4 the biggest problem is likely the Priority System's relatively low resolution. When you start doing things like allowing variable starting magic and such it just might not have the flexibility to function well. Same reason that Flaws and Edges were for use only with the BP system.
Cain
Let's.

SR3 Core Attributes: Body, Quickness, Strength, Charisma, Intelligence, Willpower. That's six attributes that follow the same general rules for the most part.

OK so far.
SR3 Unique Attributes: Reaction, Initiative, Essence, Bio Index, Magic, and an Otaku's MPCP (not to mention all their other ones, but I'm just going to include MPCP as its the equivalence to Resonance).

Except MPCP isn't an attribute. MPCP is a value for a cyberdeck; otaku have "virtual cyberdecks" which aren't attributes. Resonance *will* be an attribute, but it doesn't currently exist in the system yet. And if you're going to include Bio Index as an attribute, it'll also fall under SR4, since they're not removing bioware. (If they were, character conversion would rapidly become impossible, which we know is not the case.)

SR4 Core Attributes: Body, Agility, Reaction, Strength, Charisma, Intuition, Reason, Willpower. That's eight attributes that all follow the same general rules.

Seven. As I said, reaction/initiative will have a unique mechanic. I doubt there will be an initiative skill, so initiative tests won't be attribute + skill.
SR4 Non-Core Attributes: Edge, Magic, Resonance. These are still purchased in the same way as the core attributes but have their own rules apparently. That's three semi-unique attributes.

SR4 Unique Attributes: Essence (there has been no mention of a Bio Index type of attribute yet, so it's being ignored). That's one.

We already explained why you can't leave out Bio index, so it pops right back in. Even adding that *still* leaves at least 3 more attributes in Sr4.

Sorry, but regarless of the way you want to massage the numbers, it all adds up to SR4 ending up with more attributes overall, and with more "special-case" attributes. You're providing an equivocation, not an arguement.
But I wouldn't go so far as to say its more complex, just different. Afterall, with the standard Priority system, you have to not only juggle around your alphabet until you get all the components you were hoping for, but then you have to spend the points each one of those priorities gives you, and readjusting in the middle of creation meant having to almost go back to the start to readjust all five priorities.

Generally, I never had the problem with going back; I tended to have very strong character concepts before I started prioritizing the table. However, that's not the issue. What I'm having problems with is that the new system is going to use progressive costs.

Currently, both the build-point and priority table system are straight-cost systems. That makes chargen very straightforward and easy. However, BeCKs is a progressive-cost system, and it's not very popular as a result. Many people here have complained that BeCKs is overly-complex; it certainly requires a lot more math than either of the other two systems.

What's more, indications are that it's not even going to be a straight progression. Apparently, after 3, the cost for an attribute increases. That indicates a stepped-value progression system, with one break at 3 and gods only knows where else. That'd be an even worse mathematical nightmare than BeCKs is currently!
Cain
But for SR4 the biggest problem is likely the Priority System's relatively low resolution. When you start doing things like allowing variable starting magic and such it just might not have the flexibility to function well. Same reason that Flaws and Edges were for use only with the BP system.

Actually, Flaws and Edges were perfectly useable with the Priority table. You just had to make sure they evened out.

At any event, the priority table was flexible enough for many different concepts. I've been playing a lot of Shadowrun Missions recently; for that, you're required to use the priority table. I've been very pleasantly surprised at the sheer variety of characters that has resulted. I cannot recall a single instance of two people coming to the table with remotely similar characters.
Ol' Scratch
1. Resonance is going to be to Magic in SR4 what an Otaku's MPCP is to Magic in SR3. You're desire to plop your head in the sand and deny that relationship simply because you don't want to admit that SR4 is actually simplifiying things isn't going to sway me into believing otherwise.

2. Your assumptions that Reaction isn't going to be treated like any of the other attributes is precisely that -- an assumption. We have no idea if initiative isn't going to be a simple Attribute + Skill roll at all, thus there's no reason to assume it's going to be a unique attribute with unique rules at all. Until proven otherwise, it's a core attribute. Especially since its been describedas a split of the Quickness attribute, not a conversion to a non-derived attribute.

3. Bio Index is not a given in SR4. For all we know, it's been completely removed in favor of treating all implants the same way (which makes sense if they're going for a more straight-forward system). There's no reason to assume it's going to be there,and I don't know where you're pulling the "we've already explained why you can't leave it out" comment from as I see nothing about it in this thread.

So, sorry, despite how YOU want to massage the numbers, they both have the same number of attributes, with SR4 having fewer that have their own unique rules (especially in the way of determining their values). At most there'll be one additional attribute, but the system will still be more steamlined and sensible in regards to how attributes are calculated and used compared to SR3.
Ranneko
QUOTE (Cain)
And if you're going to include Bio Index as an attribute, it'll also fall under SR4, since they're not removing bioware.  (If they were, character conversion would rapidly become impossible, which we know is not the case.) 

Also there was bioware in 2nd Ed Shadowrun right? (I never played it myself)
The SR3 core rules don't actually mention bioware at all as far as I can find, how did people deal with that hurdle when they converted characters between 2nd and 3rd?

QUOTE (Cain)
What's more, indications are that it's not even going to be a straight progression.  Apparently, after 3, the cost for an attribute increases.  That indicates a stepped-value progression system, with one break at 3 and gods only knows where else.  That'd be an even worse mathematical nightmare than BeCKs is currently!

Not really, I mean if attributes only go up to 6, and the first step is 3, then there can be at most, 4 steps, and I would be surprised if they did that.

Even D&D does the stepped stat cost thing, and I don't think there would be many that argue that the generation system for that is overly complex.

The biggest problem with BeCKs is that every point's cost was a GP, and so you add to add them up, while also dealing with rounding at the same time.
Cain
In the interest of time, I'm going to simply point out the logical fallacies, and only respond to your actual arguments.

1. Resonance is going to be to Magic in SR4 what an Otaku's MPCP is to Magic in SR3.

Post Hoc, Propter Ergo Hoc. You're making a rather large assumption there. It might be equivalent to Submersion, for example.

Until proven otherwise, it's a core attribute. Especially since its been describedas a split of the Quickness attribute, not a conversion to a non-derived attribute.

Argumentum ad Ignorantiam Beyond that, the exact wording says it's now a non-derived attribute:
QUOTE ("SR4 FAQ")
— Obviously, Reaction is no longer a derived attribute

3. Bio Index is not a given in SR4.  For all we know, it's been completely removed in favor of treating all implants the same way (which makes sense if they're going for a more straight-forward system).

Argumentum ad Ignorantiam again.
So, sorry, despite how YOU want to massage the numbers, they both have the same number of attributes, with SR4 having fewer that have their own unique rules (especially in the way of determining their values). At most there'll be one additional attribute, but the system will still be more steamlined and sensible in regards to how attributes are calculated and used compared to SR3.

Inherent contradiction: they cannot both have the same number of attributes and one system have more. Also, Glittering generalities fallacy.

Hm. Four arguments, five fallacies, and one math error. Not your best work, Doc.

Ol' Scratch
<just pats your little head and moves on>
Ranneko
QUOTE (Cain)
Until proven otherwise, it's a core attribute. Especially since its been describedas a split of the Quickness attribute, not a conversion to a non-derived attribute.

Argumentum ad Ignorantiam Beyond that, the exact wording says it's now a non-derived attribute:
QUOTE ("SR4 FAQ")
— Obviously, Reaction is no longer a derived attribute

And the line above it states
QUOTE (SR4 FAQ)
— Quickness has been split into Agility and Reaction

Therefore it has also been split from quickness.

So it is both a conversion to a non-derived attribute and a split from quickness.

So not just a conversion to a non-derived attribute. (Of course this is dangerously close to sophism)

QUOTE (Cain)

Inherent contradiction: they cannot both have the same number of attributes and one system have more.

Yes, indeed, which is why he actually describes 2 cases, one which he believes in most strongly, but he also acknowledges another viable case, where SR4 could have at most 1 more attribute.
Therefore not a mathematical error.

And assumedly he is talking about Bio-index as that extra attribute. Which would eliminate a argumentum ad ignorantiam fallacy, but perhaps I am a little more generous in my reading.

In any case, perhaps you were slightly trigger happy on the fallacies there.
Cain
So not just a conversion to a non-derived attribute.

Not *solely* a conversion; but it's not solely a split either. Doc's just taking the side that enforces what he wants to believe, instead of follwing the facts.
Yes, indeed, which is why he actually describes 2 cases, one which he believes in most strongly, but he also acknowledges another viable case, where SR4 could have at most 1 more attribute.
Therefore not a mathematical error.

Actually, he doesn't state that. He's describing a single case, and trying to make it look like he's covered all possibilites. I suppose it all depends on how generous you want to be; but since Doc would cheerfully jump on an opening like that, I figured turnabout's fair play.
And assumedly he is talking about Bio-index as that extra attribute. Which would eliminate a argumentum ad ignorantiam fallacy, but perhaps I am a little more generous in my reading.

I believe he's referring to Resonance, which is going to have a totally new and arcane mechanic to it. His assumption is that since we don't know anything about it, it must work just like Magic. That's the fallacy.

Of course, the only way to know is for Doc to speak up. However, I've noticed that after having his logical fallacies exposed, Doc tends to run and hide.

Quix
As for SR3's attribute list if we're going to let a calulated thing like Reaction in as an attribute then why should we not allow Combat Pool, Control Pool, Hacking Pool, and Spell Pool as attributes? Atleast the possession of a combat pool was a given on all characters. It is derived from other attributs and doesn't behave like any of the other attributes mentioned so far.
If magic gets to qualify as a SR3 attribute which was only important for those characters magically active, then why can't we let spell pool in as an attribute? If that is allowed then what would be the reason for not allowing Hacking or Control Pools in the door? After all the last 2 can be added to any character after character creation where as magic was only get it at the begining or not at all.

That would mean we could add 4 to our SR3 attribute totla and for simplicity's sake, and the fact that my books are unavailable, would also add 1 to our total of how do attributes work.

<slinks back into the shadows>
hermit

Also there was bioware in 2nd Ed Shadowrun right? (I never played it myself)
The SR3 core rules don't actually mention bioware at all as far as I can find, how did people deal with that hurdle when they converted characters between 2nd and 3rd?

Shadowtech, one of the last 2nd Ed. books published, introduced the whole bioware concept, including the Bio Index attribute. Hence, conversion of bioware-laden characters between 2nd and 3rd was very easy (at least so far as Bioware was concerned).

Oh, shadowtech is still an essential book, by the way, because the cost table for forced growth of limbs is found only there. Talk about rules bloat.
Wireknight
Shadowtech, one of the last 2nd Ed. books published, introduced the whole bioware concept, including the Bio Index attribute. Hence, conversion of bioware-laden characters between 2nd and 3rd was very easy (at least so far as Bioware was concerned).

Oh, shadowtech is still an essential book, by the way, because the cost table for forced growth of limbs is found only there. Talk about rules bloat.

Incorrect, on quite a few points. Shadowtech was one of the very last first edition books. Bioware saw no updates throughout second edition, as none of the bioware present in Shadowtech employed mechanics that changed when the editions changed. The first time it was touched after Shadowtech was Man and Machine, a third edition sourcebook, which changed a lot of various pieces of bioware's mechanical functionality, as well as changing from the Body-linked Body Index to the unlinked Bio Index and Essence-linked Essence Index to measure bioware impact.

The conversion of bioware-laden characters between 1st Edition and 2nd Edition was cake. Nothing changed. The conversion of bioware-laden characters between 2nd Edition and 3rd Edition was quite involved, as various pieces had been split into multiple pieces or restatted in terms of performance, cost, and system impact. System impact itself worked quite differently, too, and you might find suddenly that your Body 6, Essence 0.1 Street Samurai whose Body Index of 5.0 in SR2, below his actual Body rating and thus kosher, was pretty far over his Essence Index, thus causing a number of problems he had prior not had to worry about.

Also, in SR1/SR2, it was unstated but supported in every single adventure module that Bioware reduced Awakened characters' Essence attributes by its Body Index, but did not impact Magic. This was weird, but I rolled with it. In SR3, Bioware ceased to reduce Essence for them, and instead did some strange effective reducing of Magic that was a step in the right direction. Errata further adjusted this to normal magic loss simply factoring in Bio Index, which I think is the best solution.

Either way, not trying to insult you, just saying that a lot of the points you just stated were inaccurate.
hermit
Umm, I need to check this, but I am pretty sure Shadowtech German was a 2nd edition book.

And as for conversion ... I said bioware was pretty much just carried over. Cyberware was a tad different.
Wireknight
Ah, my experience is with the United States product line.

If Shadowtech, in German releases, was actually the rules put forth in the U.S. Man and Machine sourcebook, then you are correct. If that is not the case, however, my comment on the transitions (smooth from SR1 to SR2, rather extensive conversion required from SR2 to SR3) still stands.
hermit
Yup, the official German SR site lists ST as a 2nd edition book (click, it's in the Regelwerke (rule books) section). The header says it lists all products published since 2nd edition.

The rules used in ST were - if I remember correctly, I don't have that book anymore so I cannot look it up - quite the same as they ended up in M&M (magic loss equals bio index).
Wireknight
Geez, you get pictures and more guns in your big-book-o-combat, and you get the SR3 bioware mechanics before SR3 came out. It must be awesome being a German Shadowrun player.
hermit
Yeah, we're t3h l33t, with all our special books and new chapters. I guess FanPro feels the need to make up for publishing Germany SB. biggrin.gif
Wireknight
Ugh, don't remind me. I've got every Shadowrun book ever printed, in order, on my bookshelf. It was so very hard to train myself to mentally blank out the moments when my gaze shifts between London Sourcebook and The Neo-Anarchist's Guide to North America. I even read that book which shall never be named, once upon a time.
Req
Ugh, don't remind me.  I've got every Shadowrun book ever printed,

That's cool. That's like me!

...in order...

...okay, that's a little weird. smile.gif
Wireknight
Yeah, obsessive-compulsive disorder. Things have to be neat, straightened, and ordered by some common and repeatable convention, or I'll end up distracted and/or compelled to rearrange and straighten them. I figure, as far as compulsive behaviors go, I got off pretty easy with mine. It'd be much harder to stay a free man if I had to routinely feed a compulsion to ritualistically murder hookers, for instance. Keeping my bookshelves arranged is logistical child's play in comparison.
Ol' Scratch
It'd be much harder to stay a free man if I had to routinely feed a compulsion to ritualistically murder hookers, for instance.

It's not that difficult.
Nikoli
Must be wonderful when they change the numbering schemes
Req
QUOTE (Nikoli)

What, for the hookers? biggrin.gif
Nikoli
lol
Eldritch
QUOTE (Req)
QUOTE (Nikoli @ Jun 10 2005, 01:52 PM)

What, for the hookers? biggrin.gif

Heh, that was a long way to go for a laugh.... grinbig.gif
viggo
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
It'd be much harder to stay a free man if I had to routinely feed a compulsion to ritualistically murder hookers, for instance.

It's not that difficult.

hahahahahaha

I like the way you operate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012