Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with Initiation for a Illusionist
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Qillin
I got a pacifist magic user that only has illusion spells, he got himself into a good for the good of all humanity magical group and i have no clue what he should get from initiation. any Idea would be helpful.
Ol' Scratch
You mean for metamagic techniques? There's tons that would be great choices. Two bigs ones I'd probably look at getting first are Masking and Psychometry.
Qillin
yeah the metamagic techniques. yeah i guess masking would go along with his illusion set up but i just don;t seem to use it all that often. i'll read up on that other one thou thx for the post.
Ol' Scratch
Don't underestimate Masking. It's useful quite often. Not only can it help hide the fact that you're using an illusion spell on the astral plane, thus eliminating your chances of automatic discovery by an enemy magician or spirit, but it can help you slip through astral wards and the like without setting them off or dropping any spells you're sustaining.

It's probably the single most valuable metamagic technique for a running magician in my opinion.
Mr.Cato
Masking.... I second that.

The Sheilding MetaMagic is also one of the best in my opinion. Very usefull for protecting your mates against magic.
Raén
I'll say Masking and Shielding are quite the best metamagic techniques you can have (Masking and Invoking if you're conjurer).
Qillin
Sounds like i might have to reconsider masking, with all the supports i'm getting for it but maybe take it my 2nd initiation shielding sounds good to start with but i'm still reading up on all of them
pragma
Centering=Free (or at least cheap) sucesses

I still would get masking first, but if you are casting any spells with reasonable target numbers or summoning any high force spirits, this is a good way to go.
Dawnshadow
Invoking is rather painful to use unless you're at a decent initiate grade. At very least, grade equal to force of spirit or elemental summoned, preferably higher. More an issue for shamanic conjurers, but also a consideration for hermetics. The target number for the second drain being double force minus initiate grade hurts.
Mr Cjelli
QUOTE (pragma)
Centering=Free (or at least cheap) sucesses

I still would get masking first, but if you are casting any spells with reasonable target numbers or summoning any high force spirits, this is a good way to go.

Centering requires you dip karma into the Centering skill for it to be useful, plus it can't exceed the rank of another skill of your choosing. That can be a heck of a lot of karma to try and get extra successes. Centering is much more useful when used to reduce target number penalties. It's a great choice for adepts, then combat mages, but besides that it's not terribly useful.

Fooling astral barriers with masking is extremely difficult at low initiate grades. However, Masking also lets you set up masking barriers, which are super nifty and effective even at low grades.

Quickened illusions might be cool, if karma intensive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012