Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hiding Ally
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
weblife
How do you all protect your Ally spirit?

And more generally, how do spirits hide from one another in the astral. Some of them have concealment, but does that work in the astral?

Is there a thing such as "Astral Stealth" the skill of hiding in the astral? nyahnyah.gif
fistandantilus4.0
well, you can make a stealth test to hide, or hide in biomatter, like plants. But there is no astral concealment.

Easiest way to protect your ally, send him to his metaplane.

But since that doesn't help much, you can try quickening spells on it , like armor, and spell shield. They already can't go through a ward, so you might as well! Or teach it spirit bolt, and slaughter elemental!

Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (weblife)
Is there a thing such as "Astral Stealth" the skill of hiding in the astral? nyahnyah.gif

Yeah, it's called "Stealth." Works just fine in both worlds. The only difference is both have their own places that make hiding easier. Not that you really need them as on a good roll you can sneak up on someone in the middle of the salt plains on a bright sunny day if you had to.
Shadow
I always fancied the disapearing on an empty 4 lane road under a noon sun. Nothing like Stealth 18 to have practical invisibility.
Panzergeist
You can have them hide in the ground too. Check out Magic in the Shadows for the rules for pushing through the earth astrally. You could have them bury themselves, then pop out when you tell them to, for an astral ambush.
fistandantilus4.0
but it's slow as hell. Better to teach them shape earth and make them selves a little pocket or something, since they have no need for air.
Panzergeist
Oh, good idea.
Ol' Scratch
Anyway, to answer the original question.

How do I protect my ally spirits? By keeping them on or near my person when I need them and covering them with Spell Defense and Shielding (or, more correctly, having them protect both of us with their Spell Pool dice instead of mine). When I don't need them, I dismiss them and let them go do whatever they want in the metaplanes where they're pretty much completely safe.

If something engages them in astral combat while they're with me, they now have to not only fend against the ally spirit (who has Force+20+1D6 Initiative and an Astral Combat pool equal to or greater than your own) but me as well, complete with the Friend in Melee bonus. If they're attacking the ally spirit, chances are they would have just been attacking me if I didn't have the spirit, so at worst the threat is lowered by the fact that there's two of us to deal with the situation instead of just one.

The only problem that ever really came up for me revolved around wards and astral barriers. Fortunately, the GM decided that the ally spirit was basically the equivalence of a focus for purposes of using Masking to slip past it, so it wasn't that big of an obstacle.

Other than that, I've never had a problem keeping my ally spirits protected.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
The only problem that ever really came up for me revolved around wards and astral barriers. Fortunately, the GM decided that the ally spirit was basically the equivalence of a focus for purposes of using Masking to slip past it, so it wasn't that big of an obstacle.

correct me if I 'm wrong ,but 1) you can summon form inside a ward 2) you can summon and dismiss the ally at will...

so...

can't you just dismiss and re-summon it inside?
weblife
Ooh, I didn't know the ally could do spell defence.

And the idea of quickening spells on it, thats good too. It can't Mask itself anyway.

Having it hide in its metaplane is naturally valid too, except then he can't watch astrally.

As for protecting the ally in astral melee, well that means I'll have to be astrally percepting.

Its funny that spirits can teach you metamagical abilities, but they can't use them themselves. Or atleast there are no published rules on it. AFAIK.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012