Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Parting the Veil
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
BishopMcQ
Nick--Remember that whenever you sustain spells with that power you are at a +2 TN to everything just like a mage would be for sustaining the spell.
nick012000
Am I? Mages just get a +2 TN to magical skill checks. A +2 penalty to everything would make it seem next to useless.
BishopMcQ
Well, it has it's uses, especially for a coterie of followers around a powerful Mage. If I have my minions sustain spells, then I don't have to and an Imp Invis sustained raises the targets TN by +2, by anyone else fighting him is +8...thus the target has a net bonus at little cost to the mage.

I think you are looking for sustaining foci, that Mages have bonded and allow you to carry since you will be the target of the spell. (Arrangements might be able to be made if you took a few levels of Aid Spell and gave Jake extra dice to use in his spellcasting--Come here my living, breathing power focus devil.gif .)
Cedric Rolfsson
Okay, I'm back up now with a quasi-working computer until I Dell gets me my new laptop. What did I miss? I'd love to do that whole dice roll thing to get my new elemental on-line but since my character sheet was saved on my old computer I'm pretty much screwed.

Fenris, could you send me my character sheets and gear list, thank you again sorry for the trouble.
Fenris
McQuillan is correct, consequently.

Cedric - Char sheet bumped, glad you're moving again.
HeySparky
Fen - Can I get a better weather forecast?

Also - do we have good intel on their security network? Or do we need to get that ourselves?
Fenris
ES_Sparky - Weather forecasts for the next two weeks alternate between sporadic rain showers and slightly overcast. However, the target's actuall far enough out that you won't be suffering the heavy downtown modifers for flux.

As for into on their security network, you have everything I've given the runners. There's not much on internal security because it's a segregated system.
Buddha72
Sorry for the vague details but I forgot how much we were giving them so just insert the figures as needed. biggrin.gif

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and New Years!
Aku
Fenris: Would my various demo skills cover the repacking of warheads? Between Demo/commercial explosive active skill, and a BK in demo, engineering and civil engineering (unlikely to help here)
Tashio
Taxi has Launch Weapon B/R so he can do most of it you just have to put the charges together.
Aku
Excellent
Fenris
Aku - Between the two of you you'll be fine wink.gif Enough skills to...well, I can't think of a good analogy, but you'll be fine!

Welcome back from Christmas everyone wink.gif
BishopMcQ
Kincaid is going to work out the best possible scenario to knock out the power grid. Depending on the placement of the various transformers and power relays, he will use either plastic compound XII or improvised devices (Car bombs and daisy-chained explosives)

Demolitions
08 04 04 03 02 02

Demo (Improvised)
10 10 10 07 04 03 02 01 01 01

Engineering
05 04 03 03 01

Structural Engineering
11 05 04 03 02 01

Fenris
McQ - Each section of the grid operates from a central transformer/relay, branching out to a series of smaller subtransformers/relays, and from there to individual places or buildings. If you're looking to take out a section, you'd need to access both the primary transformer/relay and disable the part of it that acts as a redundant backup for the smaller sections, and then access the smaller, specific subtransformer/relay and take it out.

Each location likely consists of a location, probably underground, that would be accessed through the sewers.
BishopMcQ
I'd like to knockout power to a section that's say 10 city blocks by 10 city blocks...how many transformers am I looking at in total?

Tir Team--If it's too much of a bear, we may want to do it from the Matrix, thoughts? Also are we doing an airdrop in or ground floor entry?
FrostyNSO
You'll need to knock out a power substation.
BishopMcQ
Frosty--that's what I'm thinking, but I don't know if the substations have redundant backups so that other power will be diverted from separate grids.
FrostyNSO
They do, so you'll have to hit a couple (3-4). For what you're trying to do, a van-bomb parked near to the facility should be able to damage the switching facilities sufficiently.

It'll be easier than hitting god knows how many transformers. wink.gif
Aku
is this another opportunity for me to make something go boom? or is it being handled by one of these... other, strange teams that confuse me heh...
HeySparky
There are (correct me if I'm wrong) actually 3 teams in this thread. Us. The team that hired us. And this third team that will be tying up Lonestar so we and the team that hired us can do our jobs.
BishopMcQ
Unless there have been additions that I'm not aware of, we have:

A-team: Nameless, Jake, Howling, and Iblis (Original group)

Mercs:--You know who you are... (Demolishing a Yakuza Mansion)

Tir team: Kincaid, Sunshine and Vathiel (Distracting LS so they don't crash the party, also doing the legwork of a Money Run to pay Jake and Iblis' expenses for this run...)

The Tir Team is being spear-headed by Buddha, Whizbang and myself, so forgive us our schizophrenic transgressions.
Aku
yea, its that multiple personality Tir team that's screwing with my head.
HeySparky
Fen: What rolls do you want from us to find a suitable drone deployment spot. And what is invovled in spoofing transponder codes, is that decking rather than rigging? Is it something that Alan, as an EW expert, can get around. Basically I want these drones to be invisible because they're everywhere anyway, but also because they're stealing (or sharing) transponder codes with nearby vehicles to hide themselves.

Also - what are some good ways to keep an RC deck 'silent'? Lowering flux and in doing so range?

(I did some R&D on this a while back, but my harddrive flaked out and I can't recover it - even so, I'm not sure I covered these issues in my research)
Fenris
Sparky - Suitable dron deployment, give me Stealth. Spoofing transpoders involves Electronics rolls to convert transponders, or having them hooked up to some sort of transponder library. However, please keep in mind that your drones aren't really being picked up by Gridguide, which is the only system that utilizes transponder codes. Grid guide won't pick up and report the drones (assuming they're not weaving in and out of cars on the ground). The only thing you'd have to worry about is them popping up on someone's sensors as something other then a car (like a LS security drone) or somebody visually identifying them.

Yes, as far as I know, the only way to reduce "noise" from an RC deck would be reduce it's flux.

McQ - Each power substation covers a space about 5 blocks by 5 blocks, so for a 10 x 10 you need 4.

There are redundancies, assuming the failure is a simple bad wire or something similar. If the substation is actually physically completely removed from the network, it goes down. Extra redundancies could kick in, depending on work crews, in as quickly as 20-30 minutes.
BishopMcQ
ok...

So two surgical strikes with internal charges to blow out substations with minimal "external" damage, and two van bombs...

Let's get some drive-by recon out of the way...
Perception: 11 05 03 02 02 01

Basically Kincaid will drive Sunshine around so that he can find the places where we are going to put the spirits and find the main target, then we will drive past the substation relays and see which ones would be best hit with a surgical strike and which external damage would be okay. He is trying to minimize civillian casualties from shrapnel and the like.
Buddha72
Ok so what exactly are the Tir team people robbing again? I know hi-tech toys of some flavor but have we picked a site/location yet? What kind of goods are we getting are hands on? Also has anyone been tracking the karma earned yet for the Tir team and if so, what are we at now?

I'll post my rolls tonight for my astral reacon of the area so we can start to make plans.

Fenris - Trying to reach Steel Lotus and see what she knows about this guy's home and security. Let me know what you need (rolls, etc) and whether I reach her or not.
HeySparky
FEN: I can't find Alan's files! (and the harddrive I created them on is caput) Do you have a record of him? I have some, but they're not right. I may have to reroll him (ugh).
BishopMcQ
Buddha--Iblis made a few rolls to find a good location, but my understanding is that you and Fenris had kept it fairly vague. We probably should get those out in the open at this point.

The Tir karma count is the same as the Merc Team so we can count from them.
Fenris
ES_Sparky - I'll send what I can. Is the email address I received the files from still good?
HeySparky
Fenris: Yeah. It's good.
Buddha72
Ok for my astral recon what rolls do you need Fenris?
FrostyNSO
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to bow out. With the "new job" I'm just way too busy.
Sorry frown.gif
BishopMcQ
Good luck with the new job Frosty!
HeySparky
Aw... sorry to see you go Frosty. Good luck with the new job!

Rolls for drone deployment and any initial EW (if needed) - note: I can't find record of Alan and haven't remade him yet so these dice numbers could be totally bogus (to our detriment if I recall correctly)

Stealth:
03 03 04 04

EW (if needed):
01 02 03 05 08 08
Fenris
Hey, just wanted to respond and let you guys know what's going on with the lag. I foolishly decided to take four classes during a compressed semester known as "Intersession" at college, so we're covering 16 weeks worth of classes in four. Needless to say, I haven't had much free time lately. On the bright side, next week is my last week, and the posting will pick back up after then.

Sorry to lose you, Frosty!
Buddha72
Ok I will bump my recon along and will give Fenris the rolls he needs later when he's back. I don't want to hold anyone up.

For the site for the Tir team to hit, how about high end cyberware? I was thnking small and expensive. That work?
HeySparky
Well, look at that. Alan doesn't HAVE stealth. Adding four dice to the roll as he defaults to quickness.

Stealth w/ original rolls plus new:
02 03 03 03 04 04 05 05

Crummy at stealth. smile.gif
BishopMcQ
Sparky after we sub 4 from your numbers, the bad guys are only going to need a 1 to see you before any modifiers for lighting, range and distractions...

Just letting you know in case,...you know...you maybe want to, I don't know...possibly karma...if you feel like it, perhaps, maybe, no pressure.

smile.gif
HeySparky
-4!!

Okay... remind me... karma allows me to reroll what now?

BishopMcQ
Because it's an open test, you can spend one pt of karma per die that you re-roll...

Questions are:
What's your karma pool?
What happens if the drones get caught or you are seen?
nick012000
/me wonders how long it'll be before Howling Wolf has something to do...
HeySparky
At least a week... until Fen comes back to us free of scholarly burdens.

Burning for a full re-roll... (assuming this doesn't screw me/us for the real run)
02 02 03 03 04 05 07 20

Re: McQ's first question - almost enough for 2 rolls
Second question - If we or the drones get caught recon is scuttled for the time being and any trouble may delay the operation.
BishopMcQ
Buddha--That works for me.

Sparky--They were more rhetorical concerns for you to think about. I learned awhile back that if I don't use my karma (or Force points) at dramatically appropriate moments, then the rest of the table will continue to bring it up for months on end.
Fenris
Es-Sparky - Only when such incidents of not using said karma/force points end up with the entire party dying wink.gif

Alright boys and girls, back from the school mines. What does everyone need to move forward ?

Sparky, you're doing recon on the site, right? Which drones are you using for the actual recon, and what's the body on each one? Also, what's the range you're doing recon at? Additional range will limit the details you can gather without magnification (which most sensor packages have), but may reduce the chance of you getting spotted.

Buddha - I need 2 astral perception rolls (don't forget astral pool dice if you have them). Also need a stealth[astral] roll. At this point the recon is completely external, correct?
BishopMcQ
Fenris--For the Tir team, I think we just need our intel so we can get that moving. The family back at the looking glass is just marking time I think.
Fenris
Alright, I know I've lagged a bit, but I want to make sure at least the majority of the players here are still watching and posting, so I need a roll call. I just want everyone to post a quick blurb saying, "Hi, still here, still interested" or something like that.

If it looks like the majority of the players have dropped out of the thread, I'll probably close it.
Buddha72
Still here!!
HeySparky
Here!
Aku
Hi, still here, still (semi) interested

If not still a bit confused at the 4 different teams it seems we have going heh
BishopMcQ
Juggling multiple personalities and loving it...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012