Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FrostyNSO
What do they do?

What are they good for?

Who can make them?

How do they make them?

How long do they last?
Ol' Scratch
Pick up your core SR3 sourcebook. Flip to the Magic chapter. Read. Your answers are there in plain English.
FrostyNSO
Thank you Doctor Obvious. If I wasn't at work for the next 12 hours I'd do just that. Anybody have anything constructive to add?
Ol' Scratch
If you're at work, you can probably wait to get home and read the blantantly obvious rules printed in your sourcebook rather than trying to leech BASIC RULES OF THE GAME off the internet. If you were asking for some help with some complicated set of rules or obscure rules, that might be worthy of a response. But as it stands, you're basically asking the same thing as "what are guns, what are they good for, who can use them, how do you make them, and how do they kill people?"
FrostyNSO
Edit: Not going to get into this with him...
Ol' Scratch
If you've been playing the game this long and haven't had to know these basic, fundamental concepts, then you can wait a whole 12 hours and read up on them when you get home.
fistandantilus4.0
Chill Doc

Wards... mostly good for two things. 1) keeping out spirits 2) blocking astral tracking and ritual spells as the add their force to the target number. Makes a nice permanent ward (preferably a masking ward, where it has to actually be assensed to be seen, since they are normally obvious on the astral) a must on any safe houses.
FrostyNSO
Thanks Fist.

IIRC anybody with sorcery can make them, right?
Ol' Scratch
I don't know. What's Sorcery? Who can use it? What's it do? How does it work? I'm at work, too, and can't look up the answers, but I need them now. They're vitally important to the very core of my existance, so please don't just tell me where I can look it up myself as that's utterly useless to me.
fistandantilus4.0
Yes, and sorcery is the skill of casting spells, ritual sorcery, and spell defense. The Awakened with spell casting ability (and a sorcery skill ) can do it. IT makes mana bend to the will of the caster and manifest an effect. As for how it works... ask AH.

wink.gif

fistandantilus4.0
A lot of my players book - fu is weak. And some times people just have other things to do when they;re at home, like take care of their kids.

Bad day Doc? He's just looking for some info. We don't all have the answers handy, and sometimes, we don't want to wait. So why should we when we can ask?
Ol' Scratch
Oh, and no, it doesn't require Sorcery at all. It doesn't require any skills at all. Not that I know, mind you. Just a hunch.

EDIT: And no, not having a bad day. I just hate stupid, lazy questions like this. And yes, there is such a thing as a stupid question, especially when the answer is found in a whole three parapgraphs of easily-found text in the single most important sourcebook in the game. (Not to mention being one of the few well-indexed rules as well.)
FrostyNSO
Thanks for the help Fist, I appreciate it.

edit: and Jesus, if somebody on the street talked to me the way you did Doc, I'd punch them in the face. Hell, I'd punch my best friend in the face if he talked to me like that. I'm not here to piss you off, Doc. If you have a problem, you're more than welcome to ignore anything I post.

By the way, if there's anything more you want to bitch at me about, PM me so as not to flame this topic or this forum. I only wish you lived in CentCal so we could talk about this in person.
Ol' Scratch
Oh no, some net nerd is threatening me. I'm all a-quiver with fright.
FrostyNSO
I'm not threatening you.

Just have some common courtesy for crying out loud.
mfb
anybody with astral perception can make a ward. nothing astrally active can pass through a ward without first defeating it in astral combat. wards can be placed on any non-living object or surface. no amount of warding will decockify funkenstein. spells cast through a ward have the ward's rating added to the casting TN, though i don't recall if that includes physical spells
(eg, firebolt).
FrostyNSO
Thanks mfb! I think I have everything I need now. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012