Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Massive Can of Worms
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cheops
Alright...people seem to have taken my comment really the wrong way and first off I guess I'll apologize to anyone who actually had near misses that day or who actually lost someone they know...however, here's what the reasoning behind my statement was:

I was in no way comparing planes slamming into things to SR4...I was comparing my INITIAL REACTION TO THE EVENTS

I could have picked something else but over the past few years I have only had one other "you have to be joking" reaction--which was the death of my uncle--and I'd rather compare my reaction to SR4 to an event that doesn't really strike close to home

After my initial reaction there was no similarity...after SR4 I came here and vented and was generally done with it...after 9/11 I got drunk and talked politics and wondered what was next...I also became a news junkie

So people could please stop quoting me as SR4=9/11 and start quoting me properly

initial reaction to 9/11=initial reaction to SR4 (i.e. is this a joke?)

P.S. ankle fixer it's funny that you are taking jabs at people in a thread where you ask people to stop taking jabs at you
Supercilious
Eh, I agree with both statements. People think that SR4 has to be a joke because how could it look so bad (I hope it will be good, but the PR I have seen is awful).

Alternatively the SR4=9/11 might be the case, if it really does bomb... Which is better not, I hold out hope for the new system.
Kesh
See, Cheops, the problem is that folks don't know what your initial reaction was. They can only relate it to their own initial reactions... which may be quite different from your own. For the folks who felt horror, fear or simple shock that a loved one might be dead... well, they'd likely take offense to your statement, as it equates such important moments in their lives to an RPG.

Also, creating an entire new thread for this is a bit much... especially when you feel the need to point out one specific person in your postscript. :/
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Kesh)
See, Cheops, the problem is that folks don't know what your initial reaction was.

ummm... he did say in his initial post "i.e. - is this a joke!?'
Kesh
Still doesn't help that much. The event he referenced had a lot of personal meaning to a lot of people. Even that quote doesn't really explain his reaction enough when people are so emotionally invested in a moment.

I'm not accusing him of doing anything wrong. Just pointing out why people responded in the way they did.
fistandantilus4.0
soka, I understand

Besides, for a 'Can of Worms' post, it needed more responses
frostPDP
My opinion (to make it more worm-filled) - Ya said something that made sense with bad context to back it.

9/11 was a disaster. SR4 looks like a potential train-wreck. Its just the magnitude and the # of casualties.
Nerbert
9/11 struck straight at the heart of America
SR4 kicks about 7 or 8 people right in the groin
hobgoblin
i must say that when i first heard about 9/11 i had the same reaction that Cheops had, and i allso had that reaction to the SR4 news. so basicly i never missunderstood what Cheops tryed to say.

as for it going the 9/11 way with sr4, maybe. but only if rampaging SR fans burns the wizards of the coast building (after doing it first with fanpro) under some missguided idea that wotc had something to do with sr4...
viggo
QUOTE (Nerbert @ Jun 12 2005, 06:19 AM)
9/11 struck straight at the heart of America

not my America.

If he clarified his initial reaction, people getting up-in-arms is absurd.

Just remember Viggo's Code of Message Board Offensiveness:

"lol, internet."
frostPDP
Not my America, eh viggo?

Well, it startled my America, up until I learned what that really was.

Then I wasn't so shocked.

U.S.S. Cole, 1993 WTC bombing, Embassies blown up...

Yeah. No shock. If something like 9/11 happened again, I'd say "...This is still f-ed up, but I'm not surprised. Upset, saddened by the senselessness? Definitely. Surprised, perhaps, that humans find cause to do this to one another? Yeah. But surprised that America was hit by a group of fanatics which we backed in the 1980's without paying heed to the potential threat after the Soviets were out of Afghanistan? Not at all."
Supercilious
This reminds me of a great bumper-sticker I saw recently...

9/11 was a Faith-Based initiative

---

On a more on topic with the off topic conversation note, I was not bothered in the slightest when the towers got hit, it was surprising to say the least, but I (And I will take some flack for this) think that America as a whole deserved it. To top that off, I am apathetic enough to not care about things as long as I am not hurt by them in a direct and clearly measurable way, so I was perversly pleased to see the America that I hated hurt.

I do not identify with much of America, and my America is doing just fine with/without 9/11. I think people need to relax and stop caring if someone says something they do not like. Emotion on the internet leads to tired and burnt out, it never changes anything.
Ellery
I was surprised by the scale of the attack, and the degree to which it succeeded, but not by the attempt. I had paid attention beforehand. It really does help to pay attention to world events before they've turned into an international mega-crisis. A bit of nudging of U.S. foreign policy in less inflammatory directions could have saved an awful lot of grief. If people don't pay attention, they can't encourage their representatives and President to make the appropriate nudge.
frostPDP
Wholly, I feel that America - As an idea - deserved it.

The people killed? They were only facets (or as I sometimes see it, subjects) of that.

I'm not in favor of killing the messenger. America is not the problem, it is a symptom - Much like some (read into this, please) feel that Bush is not the problem, but a symptom (others will feel other ways, of course.) Eliminating a symptom does not cure the disease, just makes it slightly less painful for a limited time.

But of course, the "cure" might be one many don't want to stomach - Or might be one which people disagree with as the cure. Whatever that cure is, I hope we find it and we can all live happily.

I can safely say that, as proved in Israel over the last 50 years, a guriella (spelling) war will not solve the issue any time soon.
Critias
So, how 'bout that SR4?
viggo
lol, internet
Penta
We deserved it?

Eh...Frost....

Fuck you.
Critias
That's what I was going to say, but to Supercilious. And then I decided to try my best to just ignore this thread, click my heels like Dorothy, and wait for it to go away.

Neither plan really worked for me.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (frostPDP)
I can safely say that, as proved in Israel over the last 50 years, a guriella (spelling) war will not solve the issue any time soon.

Guerilla war isn't about smashing your enemy. It is about outlasting your enemy and sapping his will to fight on. How many soldiers have died in Iraq? 2000? Many, many more have been wounded, but the psychological impact of those deaths, though they may be but a drop in the bucket numerically, is legion.

Remember, if you will, a lot of people thought removing Saddam Hussein was the right thing to do. But now, after years of war, the same people who thought it was a good idea and banked on a quick victory are losing their resolve.

A guerilla war certainly won't solve the US problem of squashing the insurgency in Iraq, but it may very well solve the insurgents' problem of US "occupation", if the resolve of the US falters.

I didn't want this war to happen, I've seen enough of that sort of thing in my life, but here it is anyways. I only hope that the resolve of the US holds on. For us to be driven out of Iraq would be the end of any influence the US now has. In the eyes of the world, we'd be a paper tiger, and no more.

As far as 9/11. I slept in and when I wokeup and heard about it, I thought "I wonder if I can skip work today?" Callous? Insensitive? I'm an A-hole? Sure. But it's becasue I knew it'd happen eventually so it was no big suprise.
Adam
9/11 and related topics are not on topic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012