Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Appleseed...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TheOneRonin
Has anyone seen the (relatively) new Appleseed anime? It rocked, and had lots of great stuff that I think would work well in SR.

Does anyone have any screenshots from that movie (specifically of weapons/tech/vehicles) or images they've managed to grab from the web? I working on writing up some stats for the things in that movie, and I could use some help.

Masamune Shirow does some fantastic artwork, and his weapon rendering is top notch. I'd like to get my hands on some good quality images from his works, and maybe when I've got all the details together I can send it to someone with a webpage to post it.
Ol' Scratch
When in doubt, give Google a shot.
Fygg Nuuton
I don't think a guy who wears a pot on his head and spreads apple seeds around would make a very good runner. But, I've been wrong before.
TheOneRonin
Thanks Doc, but I started off with that. I've also raided about 3 dozen other Appleseed/GitS/Shirow websites, but haven't had much luck in getting good quality, decent size images. Once I get around to buying the DVD, I'll be able to screen cap some good pics, but I'm an impatient bastard and was hoping someone already did it. biggrin.gif
Nikoli
Back in SR 1 and shortly before SR 2, I had an Appleseed based game using SR mechanics. Cyberware was much more prevalent, there was no magic, and one could become a full conversion cyborg (we had one, he was deadly as expected). it played okay, but like many games of youth, it was short lived and the computer with all the changes died a horrible screaming HD crash (literally)
hermit
I don't think a guy who wears a pot on his head and spreads apple seeds around would make a very good runner. But, I've been wrong before.
TheOneRonin
Thanks Hermit, but I've been there too. Grabbed all the wallpapers and even the webkit. Still, it doesn't quite have what I'm looking for.
KarmaInferno
Saw it, and unfortunately it varied from the original storyline so much that it significantly reduced my enjoyment of it.

I realize they had to somehow fit four series worth of character background into the movie, but they could have at least stuck to what was established, instead of completely re-writing a lot of the core relationships and histories, making up completely new stuff.

It was as if in making Lord of the Rings, they not only pared down content from the books, but now all the Hobbits are brothers and Gandalf is their second cousin and Sauron is their evil uncle.

In the end, everyone was SO connected to each other that the story felt forced and contrived.

I'd mine the comic series for content, though - far more detail and background to be had there.

Well, personally, I don't mind that. GitS also differed from the comics a great deal (and so does SAC), but I still like them. They're Japanese movies. It's not common for a series of movies to be consistent, timeline-wise. Godzilla propably is the best example of that, it has a setting restart almost every movie.
KarmaInferno
I am not as much bothered by the fact that there were changes, but in how those changes were done.

Literally EVERYONE's histories were linked to one another in the new movie. So much so that it felt contrived and silly.

Contrast that with GitS: SAC. I enjoy SAC immensely despite the changes.

SAC is much closer to the original comic though. And I recon they tied all characters in because they wanted to create a more compact, one-shot movie rather than a movie thaqt would leave you guessing if you hadn't read the Manga.
Slacker
I have to agree with Karma. The story felt forced and contrived.

The animation was great, but I was disappointed with the movie as a whole.
TheOneRonin
I'm one of the lucky ones who's only exposure to Appleseed has been the recent movie. I suppose I can understand the changes, though. And as for the LotR analogy, you hit it closer than you may think. I was quite unhappy with many of the changes Peter Jackson chose to make, though I still enjoyed the trilogy.

Back on topic...so has anyone writted up stats/rules for any of the Appleseed/GitS weapon systems?
Hasaku
AK404 wrote up a list of anime weapons using Shadowrun stats a long, long time ago. Let me see if I can dig it up.
viggo
ghost in the shell SR? Scary

What about Neon Genesis Evangelion? I want to pilot EVA-01. Let's see how Deus likes that biggrin.gif
nick012000
Never really watched the show, but I would say to just make a big@ss walker, and give it naval-scale weaponry and loads of armor.
Demonseed Elite
I was pretty disappointed with Appleseed too, though I don't have any familiarity with the comic. The animation was pretty nice; a bit clumsy in places but it was using some new concepts, so that's definitely forgiveable. But I thought the writing was horrible (the original comic might be better). It was painfully bad at parts.
Shockwave_IIc
Well though i've not seen the new Appleseed (I thought it was the old one in a new box...) From what i've read here, it definatly looks like the Manga is FAR better, it was far better then the orginal Anime which was based on it.

Though from the clip in the link, it does look visually good.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (nick012000 @ Jun 13 2005, 09:21 PM)
Never really watched the show, but I would say to just make a big@ss walker, and give it naval-scale weaponry and loads of armor.

That wouldn't be an EVA. EVA's arn't robots, they're geneticly enigneered awakened critters with cyberimplant cockpits and Immunity to Normal Weapons on a scale that will stop high-yield nuclear warheads.

1. Get a group of mutant behemoths.
2. Through selective breeding and gene manipulation make them 40 times larger and give them the ability to walk on two legs.
3. Turn them into cyberzombies. Install cockpits and various neural implants that ensure they will accept commands from their pilot.
4. Find the True Name of a Passion, God, Totem, or very high force Free Spirit. A force of 200 or greater is preferable. 100-150 will probably do in a pinch.

5. Bind the Passion, God, Totem, or Free Spirit and force it to possess a cyberzombie behemoth.

There, you have an EVA. Good luck stoping it when it goes berserk. It will go berserk.

The English dub of the original Appleseed is great for cheesy combat dialog.

Go whistle dixie mother-fraggers!
Crusher Bob
IIRC, Dark Horse has the translation rights, all 4 volumes of the Manga have been translated and have been out for some time (Appleseed is quite old (1990?)). Shirow had once said he planned the story to be much longer (is supposed to end with first contanct, IIRC) but I doubt he will write any more.
hermit
ghost in the shell SR? Scary

I built a Tachikoma once. The big tank from the movie was impossible because there's no giant walker chassis. sarcastic.gif

Also, most characters can actually be built using M&M rules, using operation options as edges and flaws.

If you plan to let section 9 loose on your players, I recommend adding the medium girl from "Man-Machine Interface", as a Wujen or hermetic mage posessed by a greater level (Air?) spirit, focusing on manipulation and mind-control spells.
Tziluthi
Watching the movie as I write this. The mocap was probably unneccessary, and the computer graphics they used make it look like a cheesy saturday-morning kids cartoon. frown.gif

But it's early days yet.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
IIRC, Dark Horse has the translation rights, all 4 volumes of the Manga have been translated and have been out for some time (Appleseed is quite old (1990?)). Shirow had once said he planned the story to be much longer (is supposed to end with first contanct, IIRC) but I doubt he will write any more.

Yeah, I heard his studio got ruined in one of the earthquakes back in the 90's and all his stuff that he was working on for the fifth book was gone. He then moved on to other stuff like Ghost in the Shell.

Still, I wish he would go back to Appleseed, I wanted to see how he envisioned Poseidon (Japan) in that world. The characters were going to go there.
Reaver
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton)

Can't be any worse that a big guy in blue tights with antenna on his head running around and yelling "SPOON!" wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012