Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tequila Blues
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Metus
So I read the latest release of fiction on the Shadowrun website and I noticed the claim that "This story ties in with some events mentioned in State of the Art: 2064." I whipped out my SOTA:64 and browsed through it, but I'll be damned if I manage to find that story reference.

Anyone know what it is?
Nemo
In the last section under "most wanted Scientists"
Jrayjoker
Absolutely disregard me. I am clueless...
Crimsondude 2.0
Indeed. Top 10 Most Wanted Suits/Scientists, 9. Dr. Kristine Martin (p.153).

> Ah, so it was a friendly extraction? I wonder what the offer was.
> The Smiling Bandit

> A once in a lifetime opportunity.
> Mutatis Mutandis
JongWK
It also ties with SoLA, but I can't give you a page reference yet. wink.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
I'm shocked.

Any chance of that book coming out before Gencon, anyway? I mean, there are now 63 days (45 business days) until Gencon and Fanpro's supposed to be releasing five (4 SR3, plus SR4 core) books. I would have preferred to have at least 1 book released in hardcopy in the nine months between SOTA64 and whenever the next one is released, but meh. I guess that's too hard to do.
Pistons
Especially since FanPro has no control over the distributors and how quickly they decide to ship to stores.
Crimsondude 2.0
So LA, SoA, SoLA, and SF were done back in November, and they've just been languishing in a warehouse since then?

Right. It's all the distributor's fault. Fanpro can do no wrong. Sing me another one.
Synner
No Loose Alliances and SoA were written in November and December and have been going through post-development since. Loose Alliances was coming back from the printers the day the pdf. version shipped.
Jrayjoker
So is there an update on the others' release dates? And will they be available in PDF format?
Lindt
Man, Im gonna be MORE poor this year after book buying day then I was last year. Provided they all make it this year (unlike SotA64 which got 'lost' in shipping).

JongWK
@ Lindt: But did you get the book in the end?
fistandantilus4.0
good story, I liked it. cept now I have all these sneaky suspiciouns of who the 'mistress' is.

lately any type of 'mistress' involvement has been Hestaby, but KAM doesn't really seem her area of expertise....
JongWK
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jun 17 2005, 12:53 PM)
good story, I liked it. cept now I have all these sneaky suspiciouns of who the 'mistress' is.

Shoot. That way you'll be able to check for yourself if you had it right once SoLA comes out.
fistandantilus4.0
well, the few obvious types are Hestaby, although it doesn't really seem her field, same with The Duchess (or Lady or whatever ) of Snowdonia, but same problem.

Someone that might acutally have lines of interests could be Daviar, but they don't really seem to have the power to jsut waltz in to a maximum security prison.

There's Buttercup, but she doesn't really come across as the 'mistress' type to me.

Other major movers like Ms. King don't really seem in the same league either, so I think there' s someone that I'm missing. Probably smack my slef inthe head and go "of course!" when I finally get SoLA.

Thanks for giving me something to look forward to.
Crimsondude 2.0
Hestaby.

Why? Because she has interests in Phoenix Biotech, which is a competitor of UO's.

But, don't forget Arleesh. If anyone has assets who can break into secure Aztech facilities, and have done so, it'd be her.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Jun 17 2005, 11:44 PM)
Hestaby.

Why? Because she has interests in Phoenix Biotech, which is a competitor of UO's.

But, don't forget Arleesh. If anyone has assets who can break into secure Aztech facilities, and have done so, it'd be her.

hadn't remebered Pheonix, that gives it a whole new perspective.

Thanks CD

But why Arleesh? Isn't she a bit of a loner , hunting down magical artifacts and such?
Crimsondude 2.0
Is she?

I'm just tossing out the name.
fistandantilus4.0
from what I know of her, from the appearences she's made (DoSW, appears and demands a dagger from a team in the fluff text, one of the earlier adventures as well, shows up and demands the PC's fix what they broke - not elaborationg because my players are going to play thisgame, and don't realize it yet biggrin.gif ). Then there's Dunkelzhan's bequest giving her the aid of the Foundation if she wants it in her search/hunt/task/quest/whatever.

Basically she goes around destroying old magic items that are corrupted. Bet she hates imps.
JongWK
By the way, if anyone has comments or suggestions regarding the style, I'm all ears (or eyes, in this case). talker.gif
bclements
Good story, though I would have thought that a regular to a bar would be able to pick out the barkeep a lot quicker. Maybe she was just after the tekillya biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
couple of the things I liked about it was the open dialog, instead of spending endless paragraphs going into miniscule detail about the quality of the air , and the crumbs on the bar to set he scene. Gets old after a while.

I also liked that the dialog felt more natural than most, like things people would actually say in a conversation.

my two nuyen.gif
JongWK
QUOTE (bclements)
Good story, though I would have thought that a regular to a bar would be able to pick out the barkeep a lot quicker. Maybe she was just after the tekillya biggrin.gif

Tequila, the be-all and end-all of braincell killers. Just what she needs to forget her husband. wobble.gif

Jokes aside, anything else I should keep in mind for future stories?
mfb
psh, this is easy. it's obviously TSB... who was secretly a girl the whole time!
JongWK
Having read this Play-by-Post thread, I wonder if I was too obscure with the identity of KAM's husband?

Hint: Martin = unmarried last name
SL James
You couldn't have been any more clear if you smacked us over the head with a two by four screaming his name at the top of your lungs.
Ecclesiastes
embarrassed.gif So who is the husband so I can go edit that stuff? smile.gif
SL James
Look at the big picture. Stand back and take a glance.
Ryu
A member of the ATZ board (a king of the hill), not Chavez (uncle), strong ties to Universal Omnitech (KAMs workplace)...

Now who might that be? wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Roxy for 5,000

Which makes me wonder...... could the 'mistress' possibly be Alice?
She loves screwing him over
SL James
But what does she need a biogeneticist for?
fistandantilus4.0
Maybe just to screw Roxborough over. It would be a big change from her normal MO. And probably pretty difficult ,since the runner said that she came to him in prison, although there are differnet ways to mean it. Just a thought.
SL James
I doubt it was Alice.

She posts in State of the Art that "They should have killed him while they were at it." Don't you think that if she was behind it, they would have? I mean, they break into a Delta clinic to extract Martin, and extract her daughter from Tenochtitlán from Chavez's control.

Second, I imagine it has something to do with, "A once in a lifetime opportunity." Just a hunch.

Third, somehow or another Roxy wasn't there when she was extracted, which leads to all sorts of questions. Questions we'll never get the answers to without some heavy re-editing to account for the five/six years between Third Edition and Fourth.

mad.gif
fistandantilus4.0
ok ok, damn it wasn't Alice! just a thought, geez
That post from Alice still makes me wonder why she never killed Roxborough when she had him on Wonderland

Anyways, CD's reference to pheonix Biotech does make me lean more to Hestaby, since they've been trying to slug it out for years with UO. And the have been doing a lot with Hestab lately. I'd like to lean away from her for just that reason though. Didn't they say they were trying to move away from dragon plots a bit, down to more street level? My preference would be someone a bit more mundane. or heck, even Buttercup. Just not hestaby again.

I'd like to say "I guess we'll see". But since it's been put on hold "indefinitely"....
SL James
I didn't know Phoenix Biotech had any ties to Hestaby.
fistandantilus4.0
Ask Crimson for a source, he seems to think she does.

But otherwise, who do you suspect?
SL James
Beats me.
Shadow
QUOTE (JongWK)
Having read this Play-by-Post thread, I wonder if I was too obscure with the identity of KAM's husband?

Hint: Martin = unmarried last name

Sorry Jong thats my fault. I am not into the meta plot at all and Ecce asked me to write the intro and he really didn't give me anything to go off at all. So I just wrote what I need to convey the image he wanted conveyed. I could edit it if you would like, send me whatever you want changed, post it here or PM me.

Again I am sorry if I screwed up your idea.

BTW, I think your short was the best thing they have put up on the website yet. The rest of their fiction has been incredibly lackluster. Yours was awesome, keep up the good fight.
Velocity
I actually liked "French Touch" quite a bit.
Shadow
QUOTE (Velocity)

I havent read it yet, but it came afterTB.
SL James
QUOTE (Shadow @ Jul 18 2005, 01:22 PM)
BTW, I think your short was the best thing they have put up on the website yet. The rest of their fiction has been incredibly lackluster. Yours was awesome, keep up the good fight.

Lackluster? The rigger one made me want to vomit.

This one was pretty good. A little cliché, or something too familiar, but overall probably the best one.
Shadow
Yes, Lackluster.

lack·lus·ter   ( P )    (lklstr)adj. Lacking brightness, luster, or vitality; dull. See Synonyms at dull.
SL James
But is it a synonym for "nauseating?" No? Didn't think so.
Velocity
QUOTE (Shadow)
QUOTE (Velocity)

I havent (sic) read it yet, but it came afterTB.

but it is now, and I like it. smile.gif
JongWK
I'm not saying that Alice is the one behind it (yeah, keep guessing wink.gif), but whoever contacted Manuel at Gorgon Island might have used an agent (like Manuel with KAM).

Here's hoping that SoLA sees the light one day.
JongWK
QUOTE (SL James @ Jul 17 2005, 09:25 PM)
Second, I imagine it has something to do with, "A once in a lifetime opportunity." Just a hunch.

So how's your Latin today? wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
damn you and your lack of easy answers! Instant gratification now!

sarcastic.gif

(serenity now!)
JongWK
QUOTE (Shadow)

Sorry Jong thats my fault. I am not into the meta plot at all and Ecce asked me to write the intro and he really didn't give me anything to go off at all. So I just wrote what I need to convey the image he wanted conveyed. I could edit it if you would like, send me whatever you want changed, post it here or PM me.

Again I am sorry if I screwed up your idea.

Hey hey, no problem at all. I'm not going to call in the game police... yet. wink.gif

You're free to change anything to whatever fits your game. As a matter of fact, I ran the Tamanous fiction from Underworld in Lisbon '55. One of my players is a biologist, who as soon as I mentioned the fetus got the big picture and lost any interest in the pizza she was eating. devil.gif

By the way, it's not a bad idea to move KAM's extraction to Texas. After all, the Shadowland post might have been slightly altered to protect the runners (read: you).

QUOTE (Shadow)

Wow, thanks. embarrassed.gif

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Roxy for 5,000

Do you take Pesos?
SL James
QUOTE (JongWK @ Jul 19 2005, 09:36 AM)
QUOTE (SL James @ Jul 17 2005, 09:25 PM)

So how's your Latin today? wink.gif

Uh... nonexistent. I never bothered to Google it. Stealing someone from a Delta clinic's beyond the scope of my games or real interest until I read your piece on the official website.

Now that I have looked up Mutatis Mutandis, I have no clue what "upon changing what need to be changed" or "with the necessary changes" or whatever other translations are out there has to do with who might want her help other than going back to that "once in a lifetime opportunity."

I find the references to dragons to be particularly disturbing or annoying (I don't like dragons, I don't like there being a whole sourcebook about them, I wish they never existed), but I'm still clueless.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (JongWK)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Roxy for 5,000

Do you take Pesos?

If you will actually send them, then yes! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012