Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heavier weapon = lesser recoil?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mattness pl
Sorry for my poor English, chummers.

If somebody made weapon heavier than normal (Kalashniokov 4 kilograms heavier than standard one) is that will make weapon more stable?
SirBedevere
Yes. IIRC (I'm at work, don't have my books with me) in CC a gun can be given recoil compensation by using a weight. I think it's -1 for 0.5kg.
Tziluthi
Maybe. Although, you would also have less control over the weapon, largely because of the extra weight. It's hard to say really.
fistandantilus4.0
well you can get up to 2 points 'built in', although it doesn't really state precisely how. I always took this to mean it has a good design. You can also get a point for an underbarrel counterweight (and a fore grip, and shockpads, a stock, gas vents ,etc , drek-etc).
Critias
"Heavy barrel" (during creation) can give you a point, as can an "underbarrel weight" (external mod), and you can get a few points by unspecified/undescribed just plain "recoil compensation" during firearm creation.
mmu1
Yes - the heavier the weapon (assuming the same cartridge), the less recoil there is. It's just conservation of momentum (mass * velocity) - the gun doesn't fly backward at the same speed as the bullet goes forward for the same reason. Given the same momentum, greater mass means less velocity.
Jrayjoker
Once you start adding 2 kilograms to a weapon, it may as well be a sniper rifle or a one shot weapon. Handling and carrying it becomes a liability that offsets the efficacy of the recoil comp.
Austere Emancipator
mmu1 has the the RL-aspect covered (and since it's momentum that's conserved, higher mass also means less recoil energy), and Critias has the rules right.

It would be a very bad idea to simply give Recoil Compensation for adding dead weight to a weapon in SR3, though, since weights and load limits are so screwed, so stick with the Heavy Barrel, Underbarrel Weight, and Internal Recoil Compensation Design/Customization options from CC.

QUOTE (mattnes_pl)
(Kalashniokov 4 kilograms heavier than standard one)

Bad idea unless you're a really beefy guy (ie. a troll). There's a very good reason why assault rifles heavier than the original AK-47 (4.5kg) are extremely rare. Like people have been saying, less recoil isn't very useful if your general handling of the weapon is compromised. If you don't mind carrying a 7-10kg weapon and your main concern is recoil, just get a LMG. (Except in SR3, where LMGs have a stiffer recoil than ARs for some inexplicable reason.)
mattness pl
Austere - Kalashnikov was just an example.
You can put SMG with 3 kgs extra weight, or whatever you wish.

Few years ago my player want to hit somebody at point blanc ("I put whole magazine in that sucker"). In game terms he missed (guess why? Recoil!). I think irl that would not happened frown.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mattness_pl)
Kalashnikov was just an example.

I figured as much, but adding 4kg to any assault rifle will make insanely heavy -- 1.5kg+ over the original AK-47 with the milled receiver. ~6kg is simply too heavy for a shoulder-fired weapon meant to be easily maneuverable in CQB by humans.

QUOTE (mattness_pl)
You can put SMG with 3 kgs extra weight, or whatever you wish.

Adding weight to SMGs is an ever worse idea. At least with ARs you can justify the weight by making it more of support weapon with a heavier and longer barrel, bipod and all that. With SMGs you're only interested in CQB, so quick handling is a must. It's not by accident that SMGs have dropped from around 4-5kg to 2-3kg in weight (empty) since WW2. I can safely say you won't be seeing those 6kg+ monster SMGs you get with the SR Firearm Design rules IRL.
Cynic project
This bring up another point. Why does your strength matter so little with recoil? I mean a half of KG on your gun is worth 5 points of strength. I mean one has to have enough strength to rip tanks open to have any hope of using that to fire a micro uzi on full auto.
Shadow
QUOTE (Cynic project)
This bring up another point. Why does your strength matter so little with recoil? I mean a half of KG on your gun is worth 5 points of strength. I mean one has to have enough strength to rip tanks open to have any hope of using that to fire a micro uzi on full auto.

Well I can only speak in human terms. But it doesn't really matter how strong you are... beyond a certain point. A very strong human can manage recoil about the same as a above average strength human.

Someone with normal strength or a weakling would have trouble with it. But beyond just keeping the gun steady strength just doesn't come into play. No matter how strong you are (as a human) the barrel is going to jump when you shoot, period. Just like you will always blink when the gun fires. It's ok, everyone does it.

What does matter is how quickly you can bring the barrel back into alignment of your target. Which is more agility and acuity then anything else.

Perhaps a troll with 14 strength could hold a barrel perfectly steady, as it is 'super human' strength. But it would have to be beyond the realm of human capability for that to work.
mmu1
QUOTE (Cynic project)

No matter how strong you are, your hand is not a metal vise - the skin, connective tissue and muscle are soft, at least relatively speaking. That alone makes it nearly impossible to hold a gun so firmly that you'll be able to ignore recoil.

Second, I'm not sure it's just physiologically possible to make the muscles which stabilize your arm and hand strong enough to matter, and to lock them in place at the appropriate moment - holding something steady and tensing up the muscles in question might be mutually exclusive.

Third, because of the way our hands are designed, and because of how guns are made, you're always at a huge mechanical disadvantage when trying to overcome recoil - it's roughly the same principle as trying as hard as possible to hold a stick steady while someone pushes on the far end with one finger - you won't be able to.
Method
Actually for a skilled shooter dealing with recoil involves less strength and more relaxation. If your body possition is correct and you are relaxed the momentum of the recoil is transfered effectively into and through your body to your center of mass. Its an extension of the explaination mmu1 gave for conservation of momentum. In stead of the bullets momentum being imparted to just the mass of the gun and your arms (a small mass) its imparted to the mass of the gun and your body (a very large mass).

YOUR GUN WILL STILL MOVE. Thats where skill comes into play. Professonal shooters shoot by "sight-picture acquisition" meaning you learn very quickly how to realighn your gun/body/sights on a target after each shot.

So in terms of SR, STR really shouldn't play as great a role in RC as BOD (mass) and Skill. Maybe in SR4 with the "skill+attribute=dice pool" they will come a little closer to getting it right. Then again, that depends on how recoil is going to work (it must reduce your pool, so having a greater skill automatically counters its effects... the mechanism is basically built in...).
Foreigner
When I was still in my early teens (I turned 41 last month; that'll give you some idea how long ago it was smile.gif ), I had an opportunity to fire a legally registered Auto-Ordnance-manufactured Thompson Model 1921 submachine gun in .45 ACP caliber.

It was quite heavy-- at least to me (about 12 pounds)-- because I didn't have much upper-body strength at the time. (Actually, I still don't, although I'm probably stronger now than I was then. nyahnyah.gif )

However, even during full-automatic fire (about 600 rounds per minute), it was controllable--as long as I kept firing short bursts (three to five shots).

My point is that almost any full-automatic weapon can be controlled, under the right circumstances.

mattness pl: Another way of getting what you want would be to increase the weapon's cyclic rate--that is, the number of shots fired per minute.

As an example, the now-defunct Heckler & Koch G-11 assault rifle (firing 4.7mm caseless ammunition) had a 3-round burst feature, but was amazingly accurate. This was accomplished by using a very light operating mechanism (bolt, etc.)--so light that the effective cyclic rate was in excess of 2000 rounds per minute. The end result was that, during burst fire, the last round of a given burst had already left the barrel by the time the recoil impulse began.

--Foreigner
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Foreigner)
As an example, the now-defunct Heckler & Koch G-11 assault rifle (firing 4.7mm caseless ammunition) had a 3-round burst feature, but was amazingly accurate. This was accomplished by using a very light operating mechanism (bolt, etc.)--so light that the effective cyclic rate was in excess of 2000 rounds per minute. The end result was that, during burst fire, the last round of a given burst had already left the barrel by the time the recoil impulse began.

The internal bits of the weapon were not particularly light -- at least I wouldn't think so, since the weapon weighed 3.6kg empty (about the same as an M16/AR-15), and it doesn't seem to be of particularly heavy construction. You can see the gun eviscerated here.

Also, there will be a recoil force the moment the propellant gases begin pushing the payload down the barrel, and it will have done all its work once the projectile and the gases have exited the muzzle. Simply increasing the rate of fire will not reduce the loss of accuracy from recoil -- unless you increase the RoF massively, as you can with Metal Storm weapons (with their own downsides), so that the recoil doesn't have time to move the weapon before the next bullet or several have left the barrel; but this approach is not viable with a conventional firing mechanism.

The revolutionary thing (well, one revolutionary thing anyway) about the G11 design was that it allowed felt recoil to be delayed by pushing back the action inside the actual weapon while the 3 rounds are being fired. This way the momentum is preserved at first by moving the action and not the whole weapon. Only once the 3 rounds have all exited the muzzle, the action will return to the full forward position, exposing the whole weapon and the shooter to the full momentum -- and by now a much lower recoil energy.

Loweing the weight of the operating mechanism would not help in achieving something like this other than perhaps allowing the bits to move around quicker -- I doubt that's the limiting factor in increasing the cyclic RoF even higher, however. Or do you have some sources with more in-depth analysis of the design?

More about the G11 here.
Foreigner
A.E.:

My mistake. frown.gif

I should've done more research.

Most of the stuff I mentioned about the H&K G-11 was from memory and, as I've often said in the past, my memory hasn't been very good for most of my life.

--Foreigner
Raygun
Yeah. Lightweight recoiling parts didn't have much to do with the speed of the G11's burst cycle. The operating mechanism did not depend on a reciprocating bolt like conventional automatic firearms do. Rather it had a rotating chamber block that was rigidly attached to the barrel. The chamber block rotated 90 degrees in order to feed from the top-mounted magazine, then align each cartridge with the barrel. When fired, the chamber block, barrel and magazine recoiled as a unit inside of the rifle's body. The extremely fast ROF had mostly to do with the lack of an extraction/ejection cycle. As the G11 used caseless ammunition, the action could forgo that time-consuming step.

Increasing the rate of fire while effectively neutralizing the effects of recoil increases the probability of a hit, and that's why caseless ammunition (for small arms) and the G11 were developed.
Zen Shooter01
In real life, there are a lot of weapon handling issues that vary from weapon to weapon and shooter to shooter. SR ignores these because A.) the game designers probably didn't know that much about guns and B.) addressing them would make fire combat insanely complicated.

Take the Desert Eagle .50 AE pistol for example. I hate it. Because it's like trying to point a brick. It's got a big fat grip and it weighs (guessing from personal experience) about twelve pounds. It's awkward as hell. If I can't get my weapon pointed, what good is it?

But in SR, this awkwardness factor doesn't apply.

My Springfield Armory 1911-A1 .45, on the other hand, is much easier to handle -- and the handling is much improved since I put Hogue palm-swell grips on it, to fill my big hands. On the other hand, a smaller shooter might find the original grips to be perfect.

Similarly, the standard stock on an Ak-47 is awkward for me, because it's too short -- I'm 6'5" and have long arms. If I was 5'6", the rifle would feel better. SR ignores these differences between shooters.

I've got a hallway in my house that's about a meter wide. In real life, that creates some real issues trying to handle rifles or shotguns in combat in that hallway. SR says it makes no difference at all.

So in short, yeah, adding weight to a weapon reduces felt recoil. But in real life, it creates significant handling problems.
Aardvark892
Has anyone considered the effect of a cyber-arm on recoil? Would it be possible to lock a (full) cyber arm in such a way that it acts like a modern day cupola or other-wise fixed weapon mount? I believe that a cyberarm would negate the effects brought up earlier (sorry I don't remember who wrote that, I can't figure out how to use the quote function) about the pliability of the muscles and skin of a normal hand/arm. I realize that the main pivot point of a cyberarm is the shoulder, and that some flex is unavoidable, but even so would a -1 or -2 recoil bonus be realistically applicable with a cyberarm? Cheers!

Tim
Aku
QUOTE (Aardvark892)
I realize that the main pivot point of a cyberarm is the shoulder, and that some flex is unavoidable, but even so would a -1 or -2 recoil bonus be realistically applicable with a cyberarm? Cheers!

Tim

i think this is best done by increasing the strength of the arm; as far as i know, i don't THINK that they are limited by the normal metahuman that they're designed for, but i could be wrong, and it would get expensive, but i think, doable.
Aardvark892
QUOTE (Aku)
[/QUOTE]
i think this is best done by increasing the strength of the arm

Aku, the strength of the arm (as long as it's at least average human strength) wasn't my point. Think about a fixed weapon mount, like on top of a HMMWV for example. It only need be strong enough to support the weapon, especially when firing. The main advantage it gives to the weapon is the stability, i.e. the mount won't move very much, which increases the accuracy of the weapon (or in some cases just makes the damn things accurate at all). If it were possible to lock a cyberarm at a certain degree, along with the hand/wrist, it should provide near the same benefits as that godawful gyromount thingy. I think. You're right, as far as the game rules go, but maybe this makes sense enough to use? Just my opinion. Cheers!

Tim
LynGrey
where is Raygun when you need him?

Adding weight doesn't just fix recoil problems. Alot of Really light guns have gret recoil comp. Its really how the gases are vented. You can throw on a Marksmen Weighted Barrel and that helps a bit. But... you have to reach and equilibrim to get it right to much may over compensate. Also weight on the barrel can make the wrist tired and make the gun alot harder to fire with. You can be as strong as you want, but that doesn't matter, the gun is going to be heaver than the basic model without it.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
In real life, there are a lot of weapon handling issues that vary from weapon to weapon and shooter to shooter. SR ignores these because A.) the game designers probably didn't know that much about guns and B.) addressing them would make fire combat insanely complicated.

Take the Desert Eagle .50 AE pistol for example. I hate it. Because it's like trying to point a brick. It's got a big fat grip and it weighs (guessing from personal experience) about twelve pounds. It's awkward as hell. If I can't get my weapon pointed, what good is it?

More like 4.5 lbs...a bit more fully loaded. I didn't find it much more diffuct to aim than my old HK USP45 full size, though. However, I've got smaller hands than the average guy, so yeah, the grip was really uncomfortable for me too.

But in SR, this awkwardness factor doesn't apply.

My Springfield Armory 1911-A1 .45, on the other hand, is much easier to handle -- and the handling is much improved since I put Hogue palm-swell grips on it, to fill my big hands. On the other hand, a smaller shooter might find the original grips to be perfect.

Similarly, the standard stock on an Ak-47 is awkward for me, because it's too short -- I'm 6'5" and have long arms. If I was 5'6", the rifle would feel better. SR ignores these differences between shooters.

I'm a helluva lot closer to 5'6" and 6'5", and though I've never handled an actual AK (just SKS knockoffs), M-16s and M4s fit just right on my shoulder. Again, I think adding stuff like that is just a little too detailed for SR.

I've got a hallway in my house that's about a meter wide. In real life, that creates some real issues trying to handle rifles or shotguns in combat in that hallway. SR says it makes no difference at all.

Now I would LOVE to have some good rules for CQB. I think SR REALLY needs 'em. Anyone have some good, static house rules for weapon size and how they are effected by CQB?
Raygun
QUOTE (Aardvark892)
Has anyone considered the effect of a cyber-arm on recoil? Would it be possible to lock a (full) cyber arm in such a way that it acts like a modern day cupola or other-wise fixed weapon mount?

No, because your body will never be as rigid or weigh anywhere near as much as the vehicle that the mount is attached to.

Like Method suggested above, in dealing with recoil, rigidity generally works against you by causing a greater part of your body to move. If your arm won't flex, it simply acts as a lever for the rest of your body to deal with. Instead of dealing with the energy flowing through you, you're fighting against it, which tends to cause more problems that it solves. Of course, that does depend on how much recoil energy is generated; depending on the weapon, there might be so much as to make handling it in a fluid, graceful motion impossible.

The Cyberarm Gyromount (MM.36) makes more sense. Of course, as it is explained, it should only work with handguns or similar weapons that are not fired from the shoulder.

This is also why I'm not a big fan of the Strength attribute having anything to do with recoil compensation. I agree with Method that a Body + Skill "recoil pool" is a better way to handle it.

And as pretty much everyone has said, adding mass to a firearm will reduce the amount of recoil energy that is transferred to your body, but there are no free lunches (except maybe in SR). More mass does make for greater handling problems. Which is why machine guns aren't general issue weapons in any military.
Raygun
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)

More like 4.5 lbs...a bit more fully loaded. I didn't find it much more diffuct to aim than my old HK USP45 full size, though. However, I've got smaller hands than the average guy, so yeah, the grip was really uncomfortable for me too.

I didn't think it was that bad and I'm 6'2". It's certainly big, clunky, loud, and it makes a pretty big fireball, but I wouldn't say it was all that awkward to handle. There is a lot of mass up front, and that does take some getting used to. The .357 Desert Eagle is a dream, though. Still big, heavy, and clunky, but pegging steel silhouettes at 100-150m in unusually fast succession is stupid-easy.

Now I would LOVE to have some good rules for CQB.  I think SR REALLY needs 'em.  Anyone have some good, static house rules for weapon size and how they are effected by CQB?

Not that I've written down, but I have applied manuverability modifiers in some situations. I think that kind of thing might be too complex to nail down a set of rules for.
Aardvark892
QUOTE (Raygun)
[/QUOTE]
No, because your body will never be as rigid or weigh anywhere near as much as the vehicle that the mount is attached to.

As usual, Raygun's right. I didn't even consider that part. Thanks once again for the education!

Tim
Rev
Another huge consideration for the military, and really anyone else who would actually carry around and use a gun is that you have to carry that extra weight around all the time. This isn't much of a penalty in a rpg that pays only passing attention to simulating load, but in the real world every extra kilogram your gun weighs is less amunition, armor, or whatever else you can carry around day after day.
Zen Shooter01
Ray: I said the Desert Eagle .50 was like trying to aim a brick, not a Volkswagon smile.gif . Compared to my Taurus .357, my Glock 22 in .40, or my Springfield .45, it's clumsy.

That's not my only hate for it, though. It's size makes it impossible to conceal. In practical day-to-day life, once I pass the impossible-to-conceal barrier, I might as well equip myself with my M4 or one of my 12 guages.

Not to mention its size and weight making it inconvenient to carry, period.

The ammunition is expensive, the noise is enough to cause Multiple Personality Disorder, there's a high blow-through danger, it kicks like a cast iron mule on crack, and the one I had personal experience with jammed about every third round, which squared with stories I'd heard of their being unreliable.

Come to think of it, I hope SR4 includes a weapon quality factor, adding or removing dice because of it.

Raygun
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
Ray: I said the Desert Eagle .50 was like trying to aim a brick, not a Volkswagon  smile.gif . Compared to my Taurus .357, my Glock 22 in .40, or my Springfield .45, it's clumsy.

Okay. I think what caught my attention most was your "If I can't get my weapon pointed, what good is it?" question. Given, I wasn't doing rapid action drills with it or anything - it is a freakin' Desert Eagle - I just thought that that was overstating the case a tad. To me, getting it on target was really not so much a problem as having to deal with about six times the recoil I'm used to from a handgun. A defensive pistol it ain't, at least, not for anything we have to worry about IRL.

That's not my only hate for it, though. It's size makes it impossible to conceal. In practical day-to-day life, once I pass the impossible-to-conceal barrier, I might as well equip myself with my M4 or one of my 12 guages.

Not to mention its size and weight making it inconvenient to carry, period.

Well, yeah. Concealed carry is not exactly what they had in mind, there. But it does a fine job of knocking over heavy silhouettes at respectable distances in my experience, as well as deer and feral hogs, from what I've read.

The ammunition is expensive, the noise is enough to cause Multiple Personality Disorder, there's a high blow-through danger, it kicks like a cast iron mule on crack, and the one I had personal experience with jammed about every third round, which squared with stories I'd heard of their being unreliable.

I've heard that a lot, too. On the other hand, I've seen a DE50 eat 80 rounds in about two hours without a single misfeed. The .357 went through 200 rounds in about the same amount of time without a problem. Whether the guy who owned them had done any work on them, I'm not sure. He's a tinkerer, so it's very possible. But those two seemed to work pretty well.

Prior to that, I'd only seen a DE50 go through 20 rounds (a not-so-clean rental gun), and the only problem I can remember with that one was that it kept bouncing brass off of people's foreheads. And .50 AE brass is pretty substantial stuff... wink.gif

Speaking of Desert Eagle point-five-ohs, check this guy out.
Arethusa
Is it just me, or did the Desert Eagle on the right jam with the slide locked halfway back?
Raygun
Yeah, looks that way (he only got three rounds out of that one, and four out of the other, too). It also looks like the case from the third shot out the gun in his left hand pegged him right in the forehead. Both documented in one video!
Hague
QUOTE (Method)
YOUR GUN WILL STILL MOVE. Thats where skill comes into play. Professonal shooters shoot by "sight-picture acquisition" meaning you learn very quickly how to realighn your gun/body/sights on a target after each shot.

If your shooting position is right, you wont have to re-align. The way we trained, once you got into position and had your sights on the target, close your eyes, take a breath and let it out, then open your eyes. If your position was right, and you werent muscling the weapon around, you'd still be on target.

Of course, this is on a one-way range. I've taken fire on accident, and if someone was shooting at me on purpose, I'm not going to worry a whole lot about getting my legs in the right position, getting good bone support, or any of the rest of it. Rather, I'd be trying to find a nice hole in the ground to dive into, or a destroyed tank to hide behind, or something else to keep those little pieces of high-speed metal from hitting me.

Also, I dont remember who posted it, but not everyone blinks when they shoot. I cant speak for others, but I dont. I also shoot with both eyes open most of the time. The only time I can think of that I blink is when the AR throws gas back in my eyes. Not a real common occurence.

One thing to consider, you go adding weight to something, you're going to pretty much HAVE to shoot from kneeling, sitting (BAD idea in the middle of a firefight), or prone position to hit anything. The M249 SAW is significantly heavier than the M16A2 (quick, Raygun, whats the exact difference?), and trying to fire that standing is a good way to make a lot of noise, see tracers fly, and not much else. Between adrenaline, muscle fatigue, and recoil, its not a pretty picture. Fun though.

OTOH, I knew a guy who could shoulder and fire the M240B like the rest of us fired our M16's. He was a giant monster, and stuck to short bursts, but thats still quite an accomplishment in my book.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Hague)
The M249 SAW is significantly heavier than the M16A2 (quick, Raygun, whats the exact difference?) [...]

Sorry, not Raygun, but it's about 4kg vs. 10.2kg, loaded (30 round box magazine and 200 round belt box, respectively).
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Raygun @ Jun 17 2005, 04:15 PM)
The Cyberarm Gyromount (MM.36) makes more sense. Of course, as it is explained, it should only work with handguns or similar weapons that are not fired from the shoulder.

Are you sure about that? I don't pretend to be an expert on firearms, but I thought a big part of recoil is not just the fact that the recoil knocks you around a bit, but that it tends to "turn" the barrel upwards with every shot.

If that's the case, then having a wrist mount gyro will help as long as you're strong enough to keep your grip on the firearm. Gryos will resist changes in movement in all directions, including angles of deflection. If you set the gyro(s) with just the right spin, not only will the gyro help to resist the upward impulse, but it will also create a downward impulse of its own from the backward "kick".

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, consider the childhood memory that I'm sure we all have, when we realized that a bicycle is easier to keep upright if it's in motion. This is because the angular momentum of the wheels resists the bicycle leaning from side to side; well, if you have a gyro on your wrist, and you're gripping the handle on the gun, when the barrel lifts from the recoil, that's going to change the angle of your wrist too, yes? The gyro should resist that a bit.

Also, consider when you're driving one of these cheap cars that has the engine block mounted sideways. Have you ever noticed that when you suddenly hit the brakes (reverse acceleration), the front end of the car dives towards the ground? That's the angular momentum in the engine responding to the reverse acceleration, and pushing it down. The impulse generated by the firing of the weapon will push back on your arm, yes? Which will in turn pull your wrist backwards, yes? Which will result in a reverse acceleration in the gyro, which will then create a downward impulse on the wrist as is the case in the car -- and this impulse will be proportional to the amount of acceleration; this is where the real strength of the gyro would come into play, because the acceleration of the rifle should be fast -- it goes from zero to whatever speed almost instantaneously, so even if the absolute velocity is slow, the acceleration is very high. How much of that actually gets transferred to the wrist is debatable I suppose, but might not a clever samurai brace more of the shot on his wrist then?
Raygun
QUOTE (Hague)
Also, I dont remember who posted it, but not everyone blinks when they shoot. I cant speak for others, but I dont. I also shoot with both eyes open most of the time.

Both are generally learned responses. It's very rare that I've run into an inexperienced shooter who doesn't flinch (even as minor as just blinking) from the get go. If you don't flich, you have a leg up. Then again, it doesn't matter who you are, we can find a gun big enough to make you flinch, too. smile.gif

One thing to consider, you go adding weight to something, you're going to pretty much HAVE to shoot from kneeling, sitting (BAD idea in the middle of a firefight), or prone position to hit anything. The M249 SAW is significantly heavier than the M16A2 (quick, Raygun, whats the exact difference?), and trying to fire that standing is a good way to make a lot of noise, see tracers fly, and not much else. Between adrenaline, muscle fatigue, and recoil, its not a pretty picture.

There are a lot of factors there that need to be considered before suggesting that adding any weight means you would absolutely HAVE to shoot from a supported position to hit anything. I have to claim a distinct lack of personal experience here, but I would say that it is far from impossible to fire an M249 offhand and be relatively accurate with your fire depending on what you were intending to hit and at what distance, considering that you have to deal with less than half the recoil of an M16A2 per shot, which is not very much already. True, hauling the thing around would be a relative bitch. But all other factors being equal, dispersion is going to be worse with the lighter weapon.

OTOH, I knew a guy who could shoulder and fire the M240B like the rest of us fired our M16's. He was a giant monster, and stuck to short bursts, but thats still quite an accomplishment in my book.

Yeah, that's a heavy bastard. But that example should illustrate my point that adding weight /= must shoot supported.

QUOTE (Vaevictis)
How much of that actually gets transferred to the wrist is debatable I suppose, but might not a clever samurai brace more of the shot on his wrist then?

This is the heart of the matter. If you choose to fire a weapon from the shoulder, you're choosing to use more of your body's mass to absorb and displace recoil energy. If you take a look at most modern shoulder-fired firearms (especially the automatic variety), you'll notice the the stock is in direct line with the barrel and recoiling mass (bolt). This is done not only in order to minimize the effects of "muzzle flip", but to more efficiently direct recoil energy to the shoulder, where it can be more effectively dealt with.

By choosing to fire from the shoulder, you're choosing to bypass your hand/wrist as the main point of energy transfer (and rotation) which means that you're choosing to bypass the gyromount and the vast majority of the effect it offers. Therefore, IMO, the Cyberarm Gyromount's effects should not apply.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Raygun)
QUOTE (Hague)
One thing to consider, you go adding weight to something, you're going to pretty much HAVE to shoot from kneeling, sitting (BAD idea in the middle of a firefight), or prone position to hit anything. The M249 SAW is significantly heavier than the M16A2 (quick, Raygun, whats the exact difference?), and trying to fire that standing is a good way to make a lot of noise, see tracers fly, and not much else. Between adrenaline, muscle fatigue, and recoil, its not a pretty picture.

There are a lot of factors there that need to be considered before suggesting that adding any weight means you would absolutely HAVE to shoot from a supported position to hit anything. I have to claim a distinct lack of personal experience here, but I would say that it is far from impossible to fire an M249 offhand and be relatively accurate with your fire depending on what you were intending to hit and at what distance, considering that you have to deal with less than half the recoil of an M16A2 per shot, which is not very much already. True, hauling the thing around would be a relative bitch. But all other factors being equal, dispersion is going to be worse with the lighter weapon.

I spent some time as a SAW gunner, and even with a 200 round box attached, it was pretty easy to fire when not in the prone. For relatively close range engagments (less than 50m) it was pretty easy. Consistantly hitting things much further out than that required more stable firing platform...like being prone, or having something to rest the weapon on. One thing I noticed is that when I'd be firing the SAW standing up, my burst would be much shorter (3-4 rounds) than the ones I would fire while prone (6-10 rounds). But anyway, back to firing while standing up. The recoil wasn't the limiting issue. I was how tired your arms would get just holding it like a rifle. And don't even get me started on the M-60. That is a beast you should never try firing while standing. Unless your target is the broadside of a barn and you have arms like Michael Clark Duncan.

Yeah, that's a heavy bastard. But that example should illustrate my point that adding weight /= must shoot supported.

That guy deserves a medal. We didn't have any brutes like that in my unit, but that's probably because they wouldn't fit in the bradleys.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Raygun)
By choosing to fire from the shoulder, you're choosing to bypass your hand/wrist as the main point of energy transfer (and rotation) which means that you're choosing to bypass the gyromount and the vast majority of the effect it offers. Therefore, IMO, the Cyberarm Gyromount's effects should not apply.

Make modifiers based upon how much of the arm is actually cyber?

ie, if it's just a cyber-forearm, maybe have full effect for handguns, and reduced effect for most weapons with stocks (1RC or so) because depending on the weapon, surely you can adjust your firing style to transfer more of the energy to the wrist.

If it's a full cyber arm attached at the shoulder, wouldn't you expect that you could lock the cyberware in place and provide a fairly rigid platform for the energy transfer back to the wrist?
Demosthenes
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
ie, if it's just a cyber-forearm, maybe have full effect for handguns, and reduced effect for most weapons with stocks (1RC or so) because depending on the weapon, surely you can adjust your firing style to transfer more of the energy to the wrist.
If it's a full cyber arm attached at the shoulder, wouldn't you expect that you could lock the cyberware in place and provide a fairly rigid platform for the energy transfer back to the wrist?

But you don't want the energy being transferred through the wrist - that's Raygun's point (unless I misunderstand).
If the recoil energy is interacting with your body at your wrist, then your arm is acting like a lever for the recoil, increasing its overall effect...and it won't much matter how rigid your wrist is, if your shoulder or the rest of your body is being twitched about by the recoil.
Example:
Take a long stick. Hold it as if it was a pistol. Have someone tap the other end of the stick, and watch how much it moves.
Now, take the same stick, hold it to your shoulder as if it was a rifle, and do the same thing.

[/ proof.gif ]
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Demosthenes @ Jun 21 2005, 10:15 AM)
But you don't want the energy being transferred through the wrist - that's Raygun's point (unless I misunderstand).

I understand what you're saying, but we're talking about the cyberarm gyroscope (mm.36), which according to the description is installed in the wrist.

If you have such a device, you want as much of the recoil effects going through the wrist as possible, so the gyro can counter the effects.

(Under normal conditions, yeah, obviously you don't want recoil effects going through your wrist, because it's a fairly fragile joint to begin with, and the further down the arm you go, the more torque you have to deal with at the elbow/shoulder. But if you happen to have a gyro installed in your wrist, it will tend to resist the turn in angle, and actually induce a downward turn on the backward acceleration from the recoil... so you want as much of that turn and kick going through the gyro as possible)
Raygun
QUOTE (Vaevictis)

According to the rules, it can only be installed into a full cyberarm or articulated arm (MM.36). Of course, also according to the rules, the thing works with anything up to an LMG. *shrug*

Anyway, it doesn't matter how much of the arm is cyber. What matters is how much energy is being transferred, the point of rotation, and the counter-balancing force of the gyroscope. If there's more energy being transferred than the gyro can effectively counter-balance, or if the vast majority of the recoil energy isn't even making it to the gyro, the gyro isn't going to do a whole lot for you. Another thing we might want to consider is the position of the wrist. How are these pop-out weights going to spin around if your wrist is cocked at an angle as it would be if you were firing from the shoulder?

I suppose if you wanted to do it that way, it would be up to you. I think that even offering one point of compensation from a shouldered weapon would be too much, but that's just me. Now, if you opt not to use the stock at all, it might be a different story. Perhaps a point of compensation would be in order if you were to use the gyro along with something like the SAS-style sling tension technique (whatever they call it).

That's not how it works. It doesn't matter if the arm is cyber or locked or not. Something on the order of 90% of the recoil energy is being transferred directly to your shoulder, not to your wrist. The point of rotation is at your shoulder, not your wrist. Energy is transferred to your body through your shoulder and from there moves through the rest of your body; your chest, your abdomen, your legs, until it terminates into the ground. Relatively little recoil energy is going to move through your arms in the first place, let alone back into your arms, therefore the gyro in your wrist is going to have relatively little effect. Considering that and that the point of rotation is at your shoulder, the gyroscope is going to offer very little help in counter-balancing that energy transfer.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Raygun)
According to the rules, it can only be installed into a full cyberarm or articulated arm (MM.36)

Ah hah. My mistake.

QUOTE (Raygun)
Anyway, it doesn't matter how much of the arm is cyber. What matters is how much energy is being transferred, the point of rotation, and the counter-balancing force of the gyroscope. If there's more energy being transferred than the gyro can effectively counter-balance, or if the vast majority of the recoil energy isn't even making it to the gyro, the gyro isn't going to do a whole lot for you.

First: You are correct; it does matter how much energy is being transferred, the point of rotation, etc. Obviously, if the gyro doesn't have enough energy stored up in it, it's not going to do much of anything no matter where it's stored. So no question/argument from me there.

QUOTE (Raygun)
How are these pop-out weights going to spin around if your wrist is cocked at an angle as it would be if you were firing from the shoulder?

Well, I always just figured that it popped out a couple of dense material spheres and spun them at angles appropriate to the angle the arm is at.

QUOTE (Raygun)
That's not how it works. It doesn't matter if the arm is cyber or locked or not. Something on the order of 90% of the recoil energy is being transferred directly to your shoulder, not to your wrist. The point of rotation is at your shoulder, not your wrist. Energy is transferred to your body through your shoulder and from there moves through the rest of your body; your chest, your abdomen, your legs, until it terminates into the ground.

Understood. I understand that when you fire a weapon with a stock, the energy is transferred into your body at the shoulder; I understand that it is the mass of your body at large that is primarily responsible for reducing the change in position (the energy released in firing a bullet is constant, but the more mass you make it move, the less the mass moves, etc). I understand that you try to use your legs to transfer any excess energy into the ground, etc.

But if the cyberarm (and hand), and the grip on the rifle is sufficiently rigid, AND you brace the rifle such that the rifle rotates around the same point (roughly) as the arm, you can treat the rifle and arm as one rigid body -- they will both rotate about the same point (shoulder), and they will both move in lock-step. This means you've effectively mounted a gyroscope directly onto the rifle, just behind the grip, along with a mass the size of a cyberarm.

Obviously, you couldn't do this unless the whole arm is a cyberarm, because human flesh just straight up can't be treated as a rigid body. But a cyberarm? Maybe.

I dunno. You're definately an expert on the subject of firearms with respect to me, but I'm looking at this with my engineering-eye, and what you're saying just doesn't make sense to me when I envision the rigid body diagram. The way I'm seeing it, the gyroscope is going to have to have SOME kind of effect. If you still disagree, I'll shut up now smile.gif
Johnnycache
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Jun 16 2005, 10:41 AM)

No matter how strong you are, your hand is not a metal vise -

Ahm, in shadowrun, aren't there a good number of people running around with hands that are metal vises? I think the composition of your limb should have more to do with your ability to absorb recoil in SR.
Raygun
QUOTE (Vaevictis @ Jun 21 2005, 11:42 PM)
Well, I always just figured that it popped out a couple of dense material spheres and spun them at angles appropriate to the angle the arm is at.

I have doubts as to how something like that would function at the kinds of positions the firing hand (most likely where the gyro would be installed) would be in, as well as being closer to your body when using a shoulder fired weapon, but it's not really worth arguing about. I'll just agree that even in a semi-contorted position, as opposed to relatively straight out in front of you as with a handgun, the thing will still spin things around like it's supposed to.

I dunno.  You're definately an expert on the subject of firearms with respect to me, but I'm looking at this with my engineering-eye, and what you're saying just doesn't make sense to me when I envision the rigid body diagram.  The way I'm seeing it, the gyroscope is going to have to have SOME kind of effect.  If you still disagree, I'll shut up now smile.gif

I'm not saying that it wouldn't have some kind of effect. Whether that effect would be worth awarding recoil compensation for is the issue I have. I'm definitely no engineer, but I don't think such a setup would provide enough counterbalance to award much compensation from a shoulder-fired weapon, locked cyberarm or not.
Johnnycache
I always thought it was a huge weight that popped out of your arm, and the bigger the gun was, the further the weight/the more weight will be extended. I never really thought of it as spinning fast.

And while I agree that in the case of arms held to the sholder, the arm composition matters less, I was thinking in terms of pistol and SMG use (our games don't usually get too paramilitary)
mfb
it's described as being a set of spinning weights in M&M.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Johnnycache)
I always thought it was a huge weight that popped out of your arm, and the bigger the gun was, the further the weight/the more weight will be extended. I never really thought of it as spinning fast.

Well, that is what a gyroscope is. It's a circular or spherical mass rotating at high speeds. Basically, you spin this mass, it builds up kinetic energy that is trying to move in a specific direction, and when you try to move the mass in a way that isn't complementary, the energy built up in the mass will resist the motion (really, it's resisting the change in its own motion).

The gyroscope is not a mere counterweight, it's an active device using angular momentum to resist change in velocity and direction.

As I mentioned earlier, the examples of the bicycle and car engine are the classic ones.
Raygun
Here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012