Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What I would like to see in the Next SR4 FAQ
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
phelious fogg
Since the last FAQ was so long ago, i'm already looking forward to the next one. I know they have caused a lot of contraversy around here, and more wild speculation than the gold rush, but here is what I would like to see and why.

1.) I would like to see how defaulting is handled - this is because defaulting sets the feel, it allows unskilled characters to succeed from time to time, and it sets a huge difference between talent and skill. You can be strong and not know how to swing a sword, and that should be represented (but if you are strong enough, you can still carve someone up, but not as neatly).

2.) I would love to see an actual test written out (Joe tries to crack a maglock, or Joe tries to shoot a camera, or Joe tries to shoot a security guard). I don't think it would give too much information, but we might find out that the system (read mechanic) makes sense also it would give people a solid example rather than assumptions.

3.) It would be nice to hear more about edge and glitches - just because people have gone over the edge about them.

4.) I really want to hear about technology and how the matrix has been streamlined to some extent - that was just the biggest flaw of sr3, that decking / rigging where so amazingly confusing (actually a nice example of a technical test or rigging test might be neat here too)

Well thats my wishlist for the next FAQ, how about everyone else?
Jrayjoker
I'd like to see a progress report.

We are done with X
We are working on Y and Z currently.
etc.
BitBasher
I'd like to see "April fools! Just kidding, we're keeping exploding sixes, dice pools and variable TN's because we didn't want to re-release WOD... We like some depth to our game!" But it is very unlikely. wink.gif
Jrayjoker
Funny, but sad too.
hermit
Yes, an example of a simple test to see how the new mechanic works would be cool.
Garland
Well, hopefully it would be cool.
Eldritch
I'd like to see something on the mechanics of magic - in particular the effect of a variable level magic attribute. What will one point mean? What can you do with it? What is the magic attributes impact on conjuring? IS there any?

Magic is what sets Shadowrun apart, I'm really curious about how they have changed it.

I'd also like to see edge, glitch, and the rule of 6 explained in greater detail - there has been a great deal of discussion on the subject.
SirBedevere
I'd like to see Angelina Jolie, but that's about as likely as another FAQ grinbig.gif
Eldritch
That is true - we haven't seen a faq since 5/13.

Either they're tired of us chewing on everything they toss out, or they are busy putting some sort of promo/teaser thing together.

Or they still haven't nailed everything down and are too busy to write one up.

Or they don't love us anymore frown.gif wink.gif
hermit
Actually, I'd like to see this example:

Joe Runner sneaks along the corridor, meeting Jack, the Sec guard. Then:

1. stealth test (with glitch) on Joe's part.
2. Initiative
3. one combat turn, wherein one fires, one soaks, and retaliates with a close range attack.

Also, a glimpse at the new Matrix/Rigger rules would be nice.
Jrayjoker
If we got to see that, then the rules would have to be set in stone. Otherwise we'd howl like scalded cats when they changed later.
Ol' Scratch
Otherwise we'd howl like scalded cats...

That would happen either way.
Jrayjoker
True. Sad, but true.
hermit
Better to get them scalded cats accustomed to it now and not have them howling all over the grand presentation, then, I suppose. wink.gif

Rules examples!!
Rev
QUOTE (phelious fogg)
2.) I would love to see an actual test written out (Joe tries to crack a maglock, or Joe tries to shoot a camera, or Joe tries to shoot a security guard). I don't think it would give too much information, but we might find out that the system (read mechanic) makes sense also it would give people a solid example rather than assumptions.

It would be nice if sr4 actually has some good rules for defeating security devices of various types...

...ya know since the game is basically about breaking into places those rules might be worth a bit more attention than they got in the first three editions.
Crimsondude 2.0
What rules?
Fortune
I want to know how Magic (especially Drain) works in SR4.
fistandantilus4.0
I would like to see...... ANY FEEDBACK! ANYTHING AT ALL!

(not one for patience)
tisoz
QUOTE (Fortune)

Well, swordfish mustardball! How much plainer can they make it? Do you expect them to give away the whole system?
Fortune
Um ... yes!
Moonlight Song
I don't expect to get some more FAQ or even some more information before Marketing kicks in.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jun 16 2005, 10:13 PM)

Well, swordfish mustardball! How much plainer can they make it? Do you expect them to give away the whole system?

I expect to pay through the nose for the whole system. An example for free would be nice.
nezumi
I'd like to see next weeks lotto numbers.

Failing that, I'd prefer not to see anything at all unless it's very long and very in depth. Right now I can just about forget everything else I've heard and be excited again.

(Note: 'next week' as in the week following the FAQs publicatiion. June 20th lotto numbers aren't very useful if the FAQ is printed in July. Just thought I should clarify.)
blakkie
QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ Jun 17 2005, 07:52 AM)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Jun 17 2005, 12:52 AM)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jun 16 2005, 10:13 PM)

I expect to pay through the nose for the whole system. An example for free would be nice.

I'm with nezumi, and not just on the lotto number thing. No need for FAQ. The last FAQ plus the leaks i've seen here are enough for me to be comfortable that i know roughly where they are heading. No pre-release FAQ is going to tell me with certainty that they are going to get there, the proof one way or another will come from the printing press.

I'm a bit embarassed to say i'm excited, curious, and [definately] anxious about what they'll be able to put together. embarrassed.gif Sounds like some playtesters are worried about the current state of the game. Fanpro still has about 2 months to clean it up. I figure about 8 weeks since they don't seem to plan on actually getting the books in stores immediately following Gencon.

I just checked at my FLGS and they don't expect the 4th edition core book to hit their shelves till September 30th. They are a fairly major store, they actually also act as bottom level distributors for other stores in the region. They usually get product fairly early on. So unless you are planning on picking up the book at Gencon the odds are pretty good that you'll have a few weeks of details of the system, if not a full digital scan if you are of that moral bent, before you'll be laying down cash.
Bandwidthoracle
I'd like to see an (apparently not so)immortal elves R.I.P in the next faq, but I doubt I'll get my wish.
I'd like to see a confirmation that magic has been made more rare and scary and mysterious. (Think the voodoo guy from Count Zero (By Gibson), and not the wizard from DnD)
tisoz
Did anyone else think the FAQ swordfish mustardball showed a lot of contempt and disdain?

Yes, they probably thought they were being funny. But why even bring up the subject then?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (tisoz @ Jun 17 2005, 11:06 PM)
Did anyone else think the FAQ swordfish mustardball showed a lot of contempt and disdain?

Yeah, I definitely thought that…

…or rather, would have if it were a genuine FAQ and not a joke. The "What's changed" FAQ and the April Fool's post, now there were some examples of just that.

~J
Critias
The "what hasn't changed" was my favorite.
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jun 17 2005, 11:42 PM)
Yeah, I definitely thought that…

…or rather, would have if it were a genuine FAQ and not a joke. The "What's changed" FAQ and the April Fool's post, now there were some examples of just that.

~J

A joke? I have never known the Amazing Kreskin to make light of serious matters such as a game. Doing so would be a gross violation of the Mentalist Code. Be there no doubt of the austere gravity of his purpose, and intense purity of his intentions as he scried the murky depths of the Fanpro collective mind to bring you the gift of knowledge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012