Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seattle Intelligencer Recruitment call
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Synner
A couple of weeks ago I set about revitalizing the New Seattle Intelligencer project on the DSF. For those who don't know:

What it is - the NewSI, inspired by the Seattle Intelligencer at the back of many first edition adventures, is a fictional Seattle-based newsfax that provides a cool handout and/or a source for adventure ideas.

How it works - Every month a new thread is opened on the Runs & Run Ideas forum. Everyone is free to post news articles (you'll find the guidelines here). At the end of the month I compile all the articles, edit them together and format them into a 10-page long newsfax handout with a few extras (music and sim charts, sports results, etc). The handout will be available in .doc or .pdf formats and fully "editable" by any GM who wants to use it.

However, the viability of this project is entirely dependent on the people out there in the SR community. We need contributions. If enough people can put together a small article each once a month it's that much easier to get the full thing going on a regular basis. Just a few hundred words every few weeks shouldn't be difficult to most of the creative types around here. wink.gif

So far we've featured international, sports, crime and city desk, entertainment, media and some corporate news. We'd also like to feature nightclub and restaurant reviews, simflick and album reviews and advertisements.

If you're interested in contributing please Click Here and post an article.
If you have doubts on the format or contents Click Here for more information.
=-_RaVeN_-=
That sounds like a WICKED idea!

(but I don't GM, so I'll mention it to him, and get back to ya...)

I'll contrib though! I've got some great ideaz!
Sepherim
Yup, it's a really nice tool for us GMs. love.gif
Dingus_McGee
Hey Synner, I'd like to do restaurant/nightclub reviews.

I didn't notice a word limit in your requirements, is 250-300 alright for a first review?
joe12south
At what point in the SR timeline is the publication, 2060-ish I assume?
CirclMastr
What about articles more along the lines of National Enquirer?

Elvis Spotted In Sloppy Soy

biggrin.gif
JongWK
Me, I'm interested wavey.gif
Ronin Soul
I'd love too but I can tell my overblown imagination would break canon and do things waay too excessive or epic for it be acceptable. Ah well, I hope it works! It sounds like a good idea.

Hmm, how about a shadowland conspiracy forum done in the same way? hmm, bears thinking about...
Synner
Dingus - The size requirements are more of a cap than a minimum. But feel free to give it a shot. The only precondition is that it sounds like a review, rather than a location writeup...

joe12south - The "issue" currently up is dated January 2063 (canon SR is in March 2063 as of Sprawl Survival Guide).
Nath
QUOTE (Synner)
canon SR is in March 2063 as of Sprawl Survival Guide

Nope, Captain Chaos posts in SSG are from 30 April 2063.
D.o.d.d.
Count me in.
Synner
Nasty NMAth, you know full well I haven't got the book yet! Anyway, my choice of month is not innocent and I intend to post a tie in to canon that happens to take place in January 2063.

Thanks to all those who have contributed so far and I hope we'll see more people joining in before long.
Sepherim
QUOTE (CirclMastr)
What about articles more along the lines of National Enquirer?

Elvis Spotted In Sloppy Soy

biggrin.gif

Hey, that sounds cool! Something like if Conspir-I-See had a section in a newspaper! eek.gif Really nica. grinbig.gif
Synner
*bump*
Hot Wheels
QUOTE (Synner)
Nasty NMAth, you know full well I haven't got the book yet! ....

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be mean and if it was anyone else I wouldn't but really nyahnyah.gif nyahnyah.gif nyahnyah.gif nyahnyah.gif
Synner
That was last week. biggrin.gif This week I've got it, Dragons, and Schockwallen...
Synner
I'd really like to have at least 25 articles before I close an issue, we're currently at 16. Anyone interested? Pretty please?
JongWK
1) Posted one as promised, with more coming soon to a screamsheet near you.

2) Bump! smile.gif
Wonazer
I apologize in advance for dredging up an old topic, but is this project still alive? I would like to be involved...
Synner
The New Seattle Intelligencer is one of waaaay too many projects on my hands. Work has basically been suspended on new stuff when SR4 and the 2070 setting was announced, though Kanada Ten has jumped in as co-editor (and layout artist, etc) and we've had a new format pdf version half done with the latest items from the IC threads.

I will be looking into relaunching the NSI for the 2070s, but there are still a few things that need working out and it won't be for at least a couple of months with my current workload. Maybe I can get Kanada to run the show until then.
Wonazer
Heh. So, what happened to the original contributions that were submitted a few years back?
Synner
The old Seattle Intelligencers (issues 1-9) are no longer online although I have them on file if anyone wants. The incomplete issue Kanada has been working on is the one that includes the material posted on the links above.
Wonazer
Ok, I have material that I had submitted, but never found if it was used or not. Could you send me those 9 issues, please?

rezanow@gmail.com
Westiex
I'd be interested in the old episodes as well, if you wouldn't mind sending them to westiex@gmail.com

Though would it be possible to have them hosted on one of the Dumpshock sites?
Fortune
I've got the first 8. How did I miss out on #9? If you don't mind, Synner ...

toxicspirit (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks. smile.gif
Synner
QUOTE (Westiex)
Though would it be possible to have them hosted on one of the Dumpshock sites?

My intention (yeah, I know: road to hell, paved) was to finally get a NSI website up and running for the relaunch. We've spoken to the DS mods and there's place for us if we can just get it rolling in the first place.
Elve
me too smile.gif

sr(at)notme.de
Kanada Ten
I'm missing only a couple of ads for the V2 PDF, so I just duplicated some of them.

You can download the New Seattle Intelligencers Volume 1, here (direct PDF link, right click > save target as).

And drats! I forgot to add Nicole Chartrand as contributing art. There is also some funny layout/resolution bugs.

But it's mostly good.
Synner
Nice work Kanada, the layout's turned out very cool.

It's nice to see you were able to use not only the ads, but that modified "arson" photo with the firefighting drone. I'll see what I can do about putting together a couple more ads.
fistandantilus4.0
So with this, is this just for 'general' news items, or items resulting from 'runs , similar to the things that show up in the SOTA's? I think it's a neat idea too, and would love to see those older ones. I try to give 'general world news' updates in my game every week, and this would be perfect.
Synner
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
So with this, is this just for 'general' news items, or items resulting from 'runs , similar to the things that show up in the SOTA's? I think it's a neat idea too, and would love to see those older ones. I try to give 'general world news' updates in my game every week, and this would be perfect.

The NSI was designed to be a mixed bag with plot ideas/hooks and adventure fallout woven in along with everyday news items.

It was also originally meant to be customizable (although the pdf version sacrifices that for the cooler layout for now), so you could plug in relevant material for your own game and use it as a handout.

If/when we get it back on track we'll certainly be covering the whole range again.
fistandantilus4.0
sounds perfect. I'll be looking forward to it (if/when).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012