Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which syndicate?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Angelone
I was wondering about this because my (online) group is divided about this. I like the Triads personally, because they are the most accepting of magic and the most violent of the sydicates. Most of my group likes the Mafia because they are the most familar, and the rest like the Rings for their underdog status. We're starting to divide on this issue ingame aswell... So there will probably be interesting times ahead.

Note to self ready the data dumps.
Fortune
So why don't you vote?

For me it's gangs. If I had to pick one though, it would be The Ancients.
Ancient History
The Government. Biggest criminal organization in the world. If I had to pick one though, it would be Tir Tairngire.
Angelone
You know I ment to put governments and corps on the list. Got alittle ahead of myself.
pragma
I have to go for La Familia. Its familiar, can alternate between brutal and comical at a whim, and is easy to add appropriate flavor to. However, if I knew more about the Vory I might go for them. (in what books do they appear?)
Angelone
Underworld sourcebook is a good one for all the syndicates. Vory I admit are a close second for me. It also mentions them in one of the SOTA books don't have them handy or I could tell you which one.

EDIT- Target: Smuggler's Havens also has info about the Vory. In the Vladstock(sp?) section. I think, don't hold me too it I have the retention of a gnat.
Cynic project
Sorry, the Vory hands down.see other Syndicates have a history that they atleast pay lip servies to. The Vory are just mean. The Vory take what they can get,and give nothing back.They don't have one don, anything like that.They work together because ti is easier, not because they like each toehr. Firendship mean shit to these people. It is all about power, and boy will they fuck you up.
Fortune
The Vory definitely comes in second place for me.
ShadowDragon8685
I have to put my vote with the classic, the ones we all know and love, the Italian Mob. smile.gif
Backgammon
I voted Yakuza. I love the style. They are subtle and refined, yet turn deadly when provoked. They like refinement, but can be totally electric punk also (there's a picture in Shadows of the Underworld with that yak prostitue wearing that crazy outfit... totally cool).

I also like triads cause they're so damn violent but also mysterious, they make great shoot-em up adventures.
Crimsondude 2.0
Vory, because I enjoyed playing in a campaign which involved mass destruction.
Mortax
I voted triads, just because they tend to be more subtle.

Not by much, but still.
FlakJacket
Tie between the Vory and the Triads for me, with the Triads just ahead today because I've been doing some reading on them.

Edit: DV8 has a good write-up of the Vory over at his Wired Reflexes site.
JongWK
Ghost Cartels
Angelone
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Tie between the Vory and the Triads for me, with the Triads just ahead today because I've been doing some reading on them.

Edit: DV8 has a good write-up of the Vory over at his Wired Reflexes site.

That is a good write-up. I really enjoyed it, but it reenforced my like of the Triads.

Was that System of the Down in the first picture?
Crimsondude 2.0
Yes, which is strange since they're Armenians--not one of the groups named in the opening paragraph.

Also, the history overlooks the first wave of Vory who came to the U.S. and western Europe in the 1970s when the Soviet Union allowed Jews to leave, and also happened to let a bunch of people they didn't want to leave as well (Cuba did the same thing, if you've ever seen Scarface, and some of those guys are really fucking dangerous).

There's also the section on the Vory in SoE, but that incorporates the aggregate of Russian OC that spread westward, which is similar to the U.S. insofar as how a lot of the mythos surround the Russian Mafia is not applicable solely to the Vory. When we ran the Russians on SL (and they have attained semi-legendary status) they were a mix of the Vory and everything else. My PC was a Georgian Vor, but a lot of them weren't completely detached from the State (as reflected in the fact that the SR Vory controls a third of the MVD and perhaps of the entire NSR), and after a lull following the most spectactular hit of all time, many of them had come back to Seattle under diplomatic cover, including the boss.
FlakJacket
Deev just picked it because they had the general 'look' that he wanted, their being of Armenian descent or System of a Down didn't really factor in to things. On the not mentioning Armenian branch in the first paragraph, guess it was just an oversight. As for the history I wouldn't know, just thought I'd pass it along for anyone interested.
Crimsondude 2.0
Just saying, is all.
Angelone
I just found it funny that SotD was used is all. I hold nothing against the author for the pic.

The Rings are taking a beating. No love for the underdogs here?
FlakJacket
They're part of my triad of power concerning underworld groups - the Triads and Vory vie for primacy but the Rings are a very close second.
Smiley
I like the Rings. You can create one for any situation.
Wounded Ronin
It's the Yakuza. They have the power of the 80s.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Angelone)
I just found it funny that SotD was used is all. I hold nothing against the author for the pic.

The Rings are taking a beating. No love for the underdogs here?

No, the Russians keep pounding them into paste.
Cynic project
Look, when it comes right down to it did the triads ever make billions off selling something that if shipped differently would be legal?

The Vory made countless billions from shipping blue vodka, calling it cleaning products. Then Removing the color and selling it without paying the taxes. Damned near had enough money to rival most fortune 500s from this shit.

Now, as best said. When the a Mob man rest he plays something like poker. When a Vory rest he plays cheese. These mother fuckers are smart. They don't just come up with shit you would never thing of, they do it ways you wouldn't think of.

Now the Cartels are nasty bitches too. they work under the idea that 95% of their product is going to be thrown away,and they don't care. They have nearly taken over countries, for gods sake. These are not nice people.

mfb
i'm going with the Rings as well. the Triads might the most accepting of magic, but the Rings tend to be the most accepting of anything that works. and, like Smiley said--there's a Ring for every occasion. great for xmas trees! spruce up your lawn!

wait, no, that's those goddamn gnomes.
toturi
While I like the Mafia, Yakuza and Triads for their "a dime a dozen" foot soldiery, I prefer Triads because it is easier to include magic into the common Triad thugs than the other 2. Their write up in Underworld SB suggests that they are more into magic than either group.

And with my magic heavy group, the more countermagic you have to throw at them the better.

By the way, the game mechanics for running the Mafia is kind of sparse in the Underworld SB, almost as if they are some kind of comic relief. The Yakuza and Triads are better fleshed out game mechanics-wise than the Mafia.
Snow_Fox
I went with the Yaks. Tow things stand out with them. They are heavily tied to the zaibatsu which means you may not be just involved with organized crime when they talk. They are rabidly xenophobic so that can be used against them.
Supercilious
I voted for the rings, they are the most versatile and can either be child raping evil to protection racket evil depending on my campaign needs.

And the thought of a Korean-Only mob is fascinating to me.
mfb
not Korean-only. Korean-started, sure, but of all the crime syndicates, the Rings are the most voraciously multicultural. they recognize that they're the little guy; they therefore need to spread out as much as possible, so that they can't be wiped out by a single purge again.
Grinder
I voted the Triads. I like the way they are presented as magic-affiliated and open for methuman members, unlike the racist yakuza thugs.
Hague
QUOTE (Ancient History)
The Government. Biggest criminal organization in the world.

There ya go. I agree.
Grinder
Thought it was about voting my personal favourite, not the biggest?
Charon
QUOTE (Cynic project)
Now, as best said. When the a Mob man rest he plays something like poker. When a Vory rest he plays cheese. These mother fuckers are smart. They don't just come up with shit you would never thing of, they do it ways you wouldn't think of.

They play cheese? eek.gif

They truly come up with stuff I wouldn't think of!

---

I like ruthless thugs as much as anybody playing SR, but if Vory were that much smarter than anybody else, they'd be a lot bigger. Truth is, any thriving syndicate has many smart people in its rank that are pulling off smart scam inventive way. Otherwise, they'd be dying. It's like any other business, except even more cut throat and less forgiving of mistakes.

As a GM, I like Yakuza. They mix well with the cyberpunk and corprate espionnage genre. Got a weak spot for Triads too, because they are a good excuse to use weird rituals and oodles of crazy physads. Players like them too.

Beside, no matter what syndicate you use, they can only appear as smart and sophisticated as the GM can make them. So in the end, it's just about how fun an adventure you can make with any given syndicate. If I could manage a good Brando imitation, Mafia probably would be my favorite syndicate. wink.gif
Jrayjoker
I make up my own crminal organizations. Usually based off of a free spirit and Hank Scorpio.
Smiley
QUOTE (Hague)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jun 18 2005, 12:21 PM)

There ya go. I agree.

Oh, for fuck's sake...
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Smiley)
QUOTE (Hague @ Jun 20 2005, 12:45 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jun 18 2005, 12:21 PM)

There ya go. I agree.

Oh, for fuck's sake...

It is a perfectly legitimate thought when applied to the 6th world. From the perspective of the runners...
Smiley
Fair enough.
Panzergeist
You forgot the Tamanous. They get my vote.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012