Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun & Call of Cthulhu
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ezra
Hi...

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, but here goes.

Do any of you out there have a Call of Cthulhu conversion for Shadowrun. I have already worked out the basics, and it looks pretty good, but I was wondering if anyone out there has their own way of doing this.

Thanks.
nezumi
Perhaps you'd like to be more clear on what you're trying to change over?

If you mean make a 1920's setting, well, that's a whole new thread, and not one I'll delve into unless I know you need it.

Monster statistics? If you're trying to kill Cthulu, you've got serious issues. They don't need statistics. I know there are some other minor creatures, like the crab monsters. We can spit out numbers if you need them.

Sanity monitor? That depends on the players. If they're good roleplayers, don't bother. If they aren't, the easiest method is just to steal the sanity monitor from the CoC game. Use willpower tests to resist further insanity.

Any other details you're struggling with?
blakkie
Maybe he means translating casting drain from damage based to insanity based?

There are some lesser Mythos minions and artifiacts that could use a few stats. Not to determine whether the PCs survive or not, but to determine if they end up just dead or worse off than that, and how exactly they end up there. vegm.gif
Wounded Ronin
I think the huge problem with CoC right now is the hit points based system, as well as the wide range of hit probabilities with a shotgun at close range due to the d20 combat system. I think that you could do well to get rid of the 20 combat and damage systems and us the Shadowrun system for that instead. Some of the monsters might be easier to kill since they no longer have 300+ hit points, but I think that that's less of a blow to believability than "missing" a shotgun blast at a giant Mythos creature at close range because your beginning character only rolled a 13.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Some of the monsters might be easier to kill since they no longer have 300+ hit points [...]

Give them a Body of 300+ and a medium-high two-digit hardened armor rating instead, problem solved.
Aku
i think a body og 300+ is a TAD excessive there, austere, but something, higher than a troll would probably suffice, if you have a reason to be rolling 300 dice for a soak roll, i think there are bigger issues with the game.
Austere Emancipator
I don't really get why SR doesn't use really high physical attributes for those critters that could really use them. I mean, BOD 15 elephants? There's something wrong with a 120kg orc with a bit of ware being tougher than a 6500kg elephant. I keep wondering why RPGs where it's impossible for an unarmed human to beat an elephant to death are actually in the minority...

And aren't the big baddies in Cthulhu supposed to be closer to whale-size? I'd give this a triple-digit Body to say the least. I'd rather give them a double-digit Bulwark, but unfortunately they (the writers of R3) screwed that mechanic up so that a naval-class object can never throw a lot of dice for damage resistance -- it'll just ignore most attacks.
Cynic project
body shouldn't be the only thing you look at when dealing with toughness.Armour should also be a major factor.

Hell if you add equal amounts to streangth and body you will see that the higher the number the shorter the fight.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Cynic project)
body shouldn't be the only thing you look at when dealing with toughness.Armour should also be a major factor.
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Give them a Body of 300+ and a medium-high two-digit hardened armor rating [...]

QUOTE (Cynic project)
Hell if you add equal amounts to streangth and body you will see that the higher the number the shorter the fight.

Because of that, it's a very good idea not to link the Damage Code of most critters to their STR, certainly not on any straight scale. To their credit, the writers of Critters realized this, thus we have elephants with a semi-decent STR of 40 and Juggernauts with a piddly (for a 14-meter armadillo) STR 42, both doing 10D in melee.

A Western Great Dragon with quadruple cyberspurs is quite hilarious, however.
fistandantilus4.0
if you counted an elephants hide as just a point or two of armor, then for a normal, unaugmented human like you would have today (say str 6) then yes, it hsould be pretty impossible to beat an elephant to death. But for example A) the wooly mammoth, stone age hunters brought them down with clubs and spears and stones. ex b) Rath the orc w/ muscle augmentation 4, superthyroid, and adrenal up cam have a str of around 15 (8 nat +4 muscle aug +1 super thy +2 adrenal pump ). Now yes, because that goes FAR above his normal str, that's some serious biostress, but give him cyber arms, and you get the same rough genaral idea. Than give the fragger a dikoted combat axe. You've got a guy that has around 3 times the str of a normal 'maxed' human today.

Sure the elephant would step on him and gore him and squish him, but my point is that it is possible to take down an elephant (although probably suicidal with melee weapons unless ou have a lot of suicidal buddies too).

Now for Cthulu, let's start with dragons. Around a 15 body on average. That's the average dragon's body. A tougher specimen could easily have a 22 body. Great Dragons get a +10 (on average, out of SR3), meaning that a tough specimen of GD (say Ghostwalker) could have around a 37 bodt (25*1.5=37 rounded down). So you could justifiably have Great Cthulu's doy in the high 30's to low 40's, assuming it's equal in stregnth to a Great Dragon.

Now in my games, I try to carry over as much possible into the SR world. I have characters that play D&D (appaerently SR went out of print, and no one noticed, but they play D&D 9th ed biggrin.gif ), H.P. lovecraft was actually on to something. I have the beings of the Cthulu mythos as horrors, which works pretty well since they're locked away anyways (or asleep sleepy.gif ). So the Rh'ley text exists, and is up there in the way of scary things with the Books of Harrow, and something like Greath Cthulu and H*stur (can't say his name ya' know) would be greater named horrors just below Verjigorm.
Ancient History
Back on subject, I did run a cthulupunk game of this sort once. No, the Dead Man's Book didn't come into play, though it could have.
Grinder
The main problem would be the conversion of sanity loss. When a character in CoC faces Cthulhu there's a very good chance the poor char snaps and went straight insane.
A average shadowrunner would simply fire his uzi and wonder why the fuck Cthulhu won't die...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
A) the wooly mammoth, stone age hunters brought them down with clubs and spears and stones.

Clubs won't do a damn thing to an elephant unless it's sleeping and you ram the club in through its eye, and you can forget about stones unless you meant using them in a catapult. Spears, now those can (and did) work, when you have a large band of humans with several spears each -- stick it from all directions at once and keep sticking until it goes down or is sufficiently wounded that you can outrun it.

The reason a spear works is that it can go deep enough into the animal to cause massive internal bleeding. Ram several deep into the animal, and it'll bleed to death. Without something to penetrate 1" of skin, 2" of bone and 10-30" of muscle, you're screwed. An axe against an elephant is like a boxcutter against a polar bear -- doesn't matter how fucking strong you are, you'll die if you make the mistake of pissing the critter off. (Although slashing at it might make it run off if it has a clear exit route -- either that or it'll go berzerk and crush you to a pulp.)

The average bull adult african elephant can easily lift 1000kg with its trunk -- enough to fling around nearly any other mammak or crush any human to death in seconds. With a light swing of a foot, it can drop 1500kg on your chest. Fuck, the smaller Indian elephants were used as executioners, in some places killing people too swifly by stepping on their chests with one foot.
QUOTE (Robert Knox @ An Historical Relation Of The Island Ceylon In The East Indies)
The King makes use of them for Executioners; they will run their Teeth through the body, and then taer it in pieces, and throw it limb from limb.

for a normal, unaugmented human like you would have today (say str 6) then yes, it hsould be pretty impossible to beat an elephant to death.

What I'm saying is, you can take a dozen of the biggest and baddest martial artists in the world now (STR and skills 8+) and they'll all be crushed to death, or perhaps only hospitalized if they play dead, if you pit them against a single adult bull african elephant without weapons. In SR3, a single strong and highly skilled, unaugmented and mundane human has very good odds of beating that elephant to death with his bare hands, and that's just fucked up -- it shouldn't even be a fight, it should be a fucking execution.

Sure the elephant would step on him and gore him and squish him, but my point is that it is possible to take down an elephant (although probably suicidal with melee weapons unless ou have a lot of suicidal buddies too).

With this I can agree -- as long as all the buddies know how to take down an elephant, and the melee weapons allow for very deep penetration with good reach (ie. spears).

Still, if you like your huge monsters to be easy to kill, that's your call. I'm not gonna say you should give big critters big stats, I'm only saying you shouldn't fool yourself into thinking it makes sense that they're wimpy. Monsters are wimpy in fiction so that the heroes seem even better in comparison (see: pre-3rd Ed D&D dragons) -- if that's what you want in your games, then you should stat your critters accordingly.
[Edit]That came off a bit weird. I'm trying to use the word "should" in two separate meanings in this message: that I want something to be a particular way (such as in the last paragraph, where I'm trying to say that I don't want to make you play the game in a particular way); and that I would expect something to be a particular way based on how it is IRL (such as with the elephant fighting/execution).[/Edit]
hyzmarca
The sanity system isn't really necessary toan SR Cthulhu conversion, since is was primarilary a resopnse to Things that should not be offending the protagnist's 1920's sensabilities.

Lovecrafts stories were really about railing agaisnt the academic dogma that everthing can be classified, studied, and understood completely by the human mind. Once one accepts that this dogma is false and some things cannot be understood, sanity loss isn't much of an issue.

In SR the average person understands that there is wierd stuff out there. The average mage can delve into non-euclidean geometry without any mental distrubance. (The average mathimitition can, as well.)

There is also cultural desensitation to consider. If you watch enough Godzilla movies then an giant immoral squid monster rising from the depth isn't really that big of a deal.

As for stats, Cthulhu could be considered a type of unique spirit, one with a force so high that its Immunity to Normal Weapons translates into Immunity to Navel Weapons.
Wounded Ronin
The one thing I'll add at this point is that if you start giving the Mythos creatures hardened armor, you'll have to "fix" the SR weapon codes so that a M1 Garand (sport rifle) would be significantly better at punching through this armor than a "heavy pistol". I think that if you just raised the damage codes for the various types of guns but then compensated by having the monsters be all hardened and scary, it would leave you with good game balance.

Also, here is the best cthulu spoof ever: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/177154
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
As for stats, Cthulhu could be considered a type of unique spirit, one with a force so high that its Immunity to Normal Weapons translates into Immunity to Navel Weapons.

If you use the spirit rules for all those big baddies, which would certainly make sense, then you don't even need to go that far. As little as Force 40 will guarantee the Materialized form immunity to anything but heavy anti-ship missiles. You won't need to throw that many dice either, but you'll definitely be stuck with either having no chance of doing any damage ever, or massive overkill.
nezumi
Silly question, WHY do you want stats for Cthulu? He's as big as an island, a creature from beyond our simple three dimensional world, having lived for billions of years, and is effectively a god. He has no stats. Don't bother trying to kill him, it's silly. Does he actually have stats in the CoC books? Because that's pretty silly too. When rolling for Cthulu, grab two full handfulls of dice for whatever the test in question is and roll those. He reroll all failures until they're successes.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (nezumi)
Silly question, WHY do you want stats for Cthulu? He's as big as an island, a creature from beyond our simple three dimensional world, having lived for billions of years, and is effectively a god. He has no stats. Don't bother trying to kill him, it's silly. Does he actually have stats in the CoC books? Because that's pretty silly too. When rolling for Cthulu, grab two full handfulls of dice for whatever the test in question is and roll those. He reroll all failures until they're successes.

He does have stats in CoC D20. They said that it's for if you ever run a Dungeons and Dragons crossover game with CoC and the D&D demigods and whatnot want to get involved.

Of course, if you want some really ridiculously powerful d20 monsters that totally spiritually flay your characters without even trying, look at The Slayer's Guide to Undead, or whatever it's called. The big monsters in there like The Ghoul King are pretty ridiculous.
hyzmarca
Cthulhu can be defeated. He can probably be killed, as well. Remember, he is sleeping at the bottom of the ocean because his kind can't survive in our three deminsional universe without some magical alignment of the stars. One could possibly raise him from his sleep and keep him busy untill he suffocates from lack of whatever kind of magical energy he requires to survive.

There are also many beings far more powerful than Cthulhu and who could destroy him without even noticing that he was there. I recall hearing about a CoC game that ended with the death of Cthulhu when one of the PCs who had a bit too much magical knowledge and ability for his own good, summoned Azathoth to this plane in an act of desperation. None of the PCs survived, of course.

If you are going to make stats for Cthulhu you shouldl also have to make stats for sentient Great Dane who will eventuall face him and foil his plans.
http://www.mindspring.com/~ernestm/cthulhu/

http://www.inzenity.com/sdmythos/scoobydoo.htm
Starglyte
I'm surprised no has mentioned Cthulhupunk for Gurps yet. You could easily transalte many of the ideas in that book to Shadowrun.
Wounded Ronin
I loved how in the second link there was a "Harlem Globetrotters" card.
Eldritch
I've got a PDF on CoC I found ages past. It details a sanity system using the same system as damage. You have a 10 box moniter, L,S,M, D all listed in the same places as the standard damage moniter. CoC creatures have anextra attribute; Sanity Save. and you roll your will against it. Failure causes insanity. There re also rules for curing insanity.

I'm more than willing to pas it on to anyone that wants it. Just drop me an e-mail address.

Sample:
Sanity in Ctulhoid Adventures
Sanity is a major part of any CoC adventure. The nicest thing about sanity is that the more you lose, the more
you fail your tests, therefore the more you lose, the more you lose. To this end, a CoC-like system already exists
in Shadowrun. Apply to sanity all the normal rules of the Physical and Mental Condition Monitor. Draw another
10 boxes on your sheet, put the usual L,M,S letters, plus a "CW" where the D would have been. These letters
mean, of course, Lightly Insane, Moderately Insane, Seriously Insane, and Completely Whacko!. All the
penalties on the sanity monitor should be used only against sanity tests. A sanity rating is a two-letter weapondamage-
like code, like 8M or 2L. The Character should make a sanity test by rolling die equal to his Willpower,
with the appropriate penalties from Sanity status on his Sanity monitor. All the usual Damage rules apply (every
2 successes the Code goes up or down, according to the winner, etc...). Apply Sanity to the condition Monitor. Et
voilą. So what? Weeelllll... Actually, that's not all... Whenever a character recieves 1 box or more of Sanity, he or
she gets a temporary insanity (one for every box)... Why??? But of course. You have 10 boxes, ain't it? So every
box is 1/5th of your current sanity (hee hee)!!! Roll a die and consult the temporary insaity list below.
TEMPORARY INSANITIES (Roll a D6)
FrostyNSO
A) the wooly mammoth, stone age hunters brought them down with clubs and spears and stones.

Clubs won't do a damn thing to an elephant unless it's sleeping and you ram the club in through its eye, and you can forget about stones unless you meant using them in a catapult. Spears, now those can (and did) work, when you have a large band of humans with several spears each -- stick it from all directions at once and keep sticking until it goes down or is sufficiently wounded that you can outrun it.

The reason a spear works is that it can go deep enough into the animal to cause massive internal bleeding. Ram several deep into the animal, and it'll bleed to death. Without something to penetrate 1" of skin, 2" of bone and 10-30" of muscle, you're screwed. An axe against an elephant is like a boxcutter against a polar bear -- doesn't matter how fucking strong you are, you'll die if you make the mistake of pissing the critter off. (Although slashing at it might make it run off if it has a clear exit route -- either that or it'll go berzerk and crush you to a pulp.)

The average bull adult african elephant can easily lift 1000kg with its trunk -- enough to fling around nearly any other mammak or crush any human to death in seconds. With a light swing of a foot, it can drop 1500kg on your chest. Fuck, the smaller Indian elephants were used as executioners, in some places killing people too swifly by stepping on their chests with one foot.
QUOTE (Robert Knox @ An Historical Relation Of The Island Ceylon In The East Indies)
The King makes use of them for Executioners; they will run their Teeth through the body, and then taer it in pieces, and throw it limb from limb.

for a normal, unaugmented human like you would have today (say str 6) then yes, it hsould be pretty impossible to beat an elephant to death.

What I'm saying is, you can take a dozen of the biggest and baddest martial artists in the world now (STR and skills 8+) and they'll all be crushed to death, or perhaps only hospitalized if they play dead, if you pit them against a single adult bull african elephant without weapons. In SR3, a single strong and highly skilled, unaugmented and mundane human has very good odds of beating that elephant to death with his bare hands, and that's just fucked up -- it shouldn't even be a fight, it should be a fucking execution.

With this I can agree -- as long as all the buddies know how to take down an elephant, and the melee weapons allow for very deep penetration with good reach (ie. spears).

Still, if you like your huge monsters to be easy to kill, that's your call. I'm not gonna say you should give big critters big stats, I'm only saying you shouldn't fool yourself into thinking it makes sense that they're wimpy. Monsters are wimpy in fiction so that the heroes seem even better in comparison (see: pre-3rd Ed D&D dragons) -- if that's what you want in your games, then you should stat your critters accordingly.
[Edit]That came off a bit weird. I'm trying to use the word "should" in two separate meanings in this message: that I want something to be a particular way (such as in the last paragraph, where I'm trying to say that I don't want to make you play the game in a particular way); and that I would expect something to be a particular way based on how it is IRL (such as with the elephant fighting/execution).[/Edit]

Crap...I dunno where to find it (my google-fu is weak), but I read an article in National Geographic about a tribe that still hunts Elephants with spears as a manhood ritual or something. Now they do it in a group, but still.
nezumi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Cthulhu can be defeated. He can probably be killed, as well. Remember, he is sleeping at the bottom of the ocean because his kind can't survive in our three deminsional universe without some magical alignment of the stars. One could possibly raise him from his sleep and keep him busy untill he suffocates from lack of whatever kind of magical energy he requires to survive.

I've gotta ask, where did you get that? I remember reading that he was sleeping for some reason or another, but not because he was afraid for his mortal wellbeing. Considering in the books he DOES come up and cause some damage, it seemed to me he was resting more because hey, he's a giant monster, and giant monsters need their beauty sleep, not because he's hibernating until the next rise of magic.

Yes, there are likely monsters bigger than Cthulu, but if you get into that, it's pretty much end of the campaign (not to mention, the world).
fistandantilus4.0

I'd have to say that I'd call BS on anyone that tried to box a frickin' elephant, just on reach alone. And what the hell are they gonna use for a skill? martial arts?! "I judo chop the elephant!" "where?" "in it's shin of course!"

Since pretty much all martial arts are skills designed to fight a fellow human , I don't really see any way that martial arts, or even unarmed combat coculd be applied, because there's only so much skill that you could apply to punching an elephant in the knee cap.
FrostyNSO
You may be able to reach his penis?
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
You may be able to reach his penis?

speed bag?
FrostyNSO
What else did you think those things were for? biggrin.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jun 19 2005, 07:16 PM)
Cthulhu can be defeated. He can probably be killed, as well.  Remember, he is sleeping at the bottom of the ocean because his kind can't survive in our three deminsional universe without some magical alignment of the stars.  One could possibly raise him from his sleep and keep him busy untill he suffocates from lack of whatever kind of magical energy he requires to survive.

I've gotta ask, where did you get that? I remember reading that he was sleeping for some reason or another, but not because he was afraid for his mortal wellbeing. Considering in the books he DOES come up and cause some damage, it seemed to me he was resting more because hey, he's a giant monster, and giant monsters need their beauty sleep, not because he's hibernating until the next rise of magic.

Yes, there are likely monsters bigger than Cthulu, but if you get into that, it's pretty much end of the campaign (not to mention, the world).

Cthulhu isn't a giant monster. He is the high Priest and defacto ruller of an entire race. It just happens to be a race of giant squid-faced monsters. They had an interstellar civilization long before humans came into being and somehow learned to trvel through space as pure energy.
Cthulhu's people decided to make Earth their home for some reason and turned it into a metropolis for their people. However, the stars that granted them their powers began to fall out of alignment and they were all doomed as a result. Cthuhu devides a way to save them all. He rests in a suspended animation that is more akin to death than sleep waiting for the stars to realign while his people wait outside of our three-demionsional space. When the time comes he will awaken and release them.

It is in the books.

There are many beings more powerful than Cthulhu. They don't destroy the world because the world is far beneath their notice. To take a quote from Contact, it would be like us going out of our way to destroy an anthill in South America. Many of them could rend galaxy's asunder with but a thought. One of them is the literal center of the universe from which all life sprang and too which all life returns. The other one is sthe the ultimate archetype that all sentience extends from. These aren't beings that would notice you unless you went out of your way to find them. Even then, communication would be difficult because human senses are inadaquite for the task of understanding them. People have sought out Yog-Sototh, the Supreme Archetype, and recieved favors from it without worldchanging results. Although, poor forethought had cause disasters in their personal lives. Like the quy who accidently because stuck in the body of an alien.
Grinder
I see the problem more in the whole theme of the games. CoC is about discovering the unbelievable truth - and going mad with any deeper discovery. SR is about cold-blooded criminals living in a world full of magic. Imo that's not the same and a very different flair.
Austere Emancipator
I'd have to say that I'd call BS on anyone that tried to box a frickin' elephant, just on reach alone. And what the hell are they gonna use for a skill? martial arts?! "I judo chop the elephant!" "where?" "in it's shin of course!"

And even if you were a master of Jumbo-Fu, you're still just going to get slaughtered. With all the force any human can exert to an elephant's body, the best you can hope for is to poke its eye out, to break its tail, or indeed to cause Pain of the Groin. The elephant can crush any human to death with the slightest of effort.

And that's why I give big critters big stats.
Ezra
Wow. You leae a thread for a little while, and it covers everything from Cthulhu to elephant testicle boxing. biggrin.gif

Some more detail on what I need for the conversion. My players are running around in 2057. This is the third and final campaign, in a series that has already spanned two years. Basically, the Horrors are coming, right? (Which is why Dunkie goes off and caps himself, giving us the Heartstone.) Now that got me to thinking. Here we have the Horrors, all waiting for the chance to jump out on earth and get busy, and here we have Great Cthulhu and his minions, all waiting for the chance to jump on earth and get busy.

So.... I would like some Cthulhu monster conversions. I have already tied in the sanity loss, I just need the physical stats converted. I can of course, wing it, but I would rather be informed.

(Just for the record....facing Great Cthulhu himself is not going to happen. Just his minions. The reason I am using the Cthulhu stuff is that my bunch of players are all very familiar with the Shadowrun stuff, and I want to frighten them with something new.) smile.gif

So....thanks... wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012