Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Chinatown is Seattle?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dave
Foolishly I loaned my Seattle Sourcebook to a player so could anyone let me know if there is a canon Chinatown, or large Chinese community, in any of the Seattle suburbs?

Thanks in advance.
Ancient History
No. In fact, whenever you see slanted eyes, it must be either a Yakuza, a Triad, or an elder member of the Seoulpa Rings. Attack them on sight.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Ancient History)
No. In fact, whenever you see slanted eyes, it must be either a Yakuza, a Triad, or an elder member of the Seoulpa Rings. Attack them on sight.

lol, that's not like you AH grinbig.gif lol

are chinese elves' ears pointy side to side instead of up and down? </rascism>
Demonseed Elite
I'm not sure what the Seattle Sourcebook says (I don't have my copy handy), but current-day Seattle has a small Chinatown in the International District, in downtown. Links to a website with more info, and a map, below:

website
map
Cynic project
China it's setting up franchises in every city in the world, in fact you know your a city when you have a china town.
bclements
The International District in Downtown is, I guess, the canon Chinatown (although its more asian than china). According to New Seattle, the yaks are big there, with the triads moving in. There's a possible Triad restaurant in Tacoma. One of the triads (Yellow Lotus, IIRC) is big in Pullyup.
SpasticTeapot
Thanks, Demonseed. I've now got a map for a shadowrun. If you could find me a few more maps like that, I'd be most grateful.
Also, could someone tell me anything about the go-gang "The Ancients"?
Demonseed Elite
If you need maps, just hit up Google Local and look up stuff in Seattle. Hell, look up anything in Seattle and just zoom out or move the map as necessary. Google Local is great.

As for the Ancients, they are an elven go-gang made up of Tir exiles, led by a woman named Sting. They claim to have no links to the Tir, but that's not really the case. They focus on a lot of smuggling operations between the Tir and Seattle and their turf is usually along the highways.
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)

As for the Ancients, they are an elven go-gang made up of Tir exiles, led by a woman named Sting. They claim to have no links to the Tir, but that's not really the case. They focus on a lot of smuggling operations between the Tir and Seattle and their turf is usually along the highways.

Unluckily for me, I've got a character with a level-3 contact in the Ancients. I should have looked more carefully at his character sheet; he's got nearly no combat ability, but he has an insane number of contacts an a permanent High lifestyle. Methinks it's time to slap him with the "left out to dry" flaw.
tisoz
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
Unluckily for me, I've got a character with a level-3 contact in the Ancients. I should have looked more carefully at his character sheet; he's got nearly no combat ability, but he has an insane number of contacts an a permanent High lifestyle. Methinks it's time to slap him with the "left out to dry" flaw.

A permanent high lifestyle - why is he shadowrunning?

A lot of contacts means a lot of upkeep, especially for the high level ones. Remember contacts are a two way street. You use them, but they use you, too.
Dave
Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated...and maps are always welcome.
Crimson Jack
I've lived in Seattle for a few years. The real "Chinatown" or International District is brief. Blink and you miss it. Not really, but there are only a few blocks that seem remotely Asian. Big Trouble in Little China it is not. I would imagine that in the game's setting though, with potentially more Asian people present than currently, the district might take on a new look and flavor.
Dave
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
I've lived in Seattle for a few years...

In that case maybe you can help with another question...

Approximately how long would it take someone to drive (north to south) through Downtown Seattle between 9pm to midnight, and midnight to 5am? Assuming they stuck to the speed limit, used only surface roads, the traffic was fairly light and the driver didn't know any shortcuts.

The reason for asking is that I am writing a run involving (at least) five separate targets that must be eliminated within a certain time (think Collateral). I wanted to make sure the distance between targets was enough to split up the group but not too far so they can't help each other out if absolutely necessary...
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Dave)
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
I've lived in Seattle for a few years...

In that case maybe you can help with another question...

Approximately how long would it take someone to drive (north to south) through Downtown Seattle between 9pm to midnight, and midnight to 5am? Assuming they stuck to the speed limit, used only surface roads, the traffic was fairly light and the driver didn't know any shortcuts.

The reason for asking is that I am writing a run involving (at least) five separate targets that must be eliminated within a certain time (think Collateral). I wanted to make sure the distance between targets was enough to split up the group but not too far so they can't help each other out if absolutely necessary...

keep in mind all the fun protagonists and antagonists can have playing with streetlights, and setting up blocks obvious and subtle using the locals.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012