Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 FAQ
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FrostyNSO
I know some of the devs at least look in here from time to time, so:

Is there a chance we'll be seeing another SR4 FAQ any time soon? Or better yet, a preview?
Adam
Yeah; there's at least one more set of FAQs written up, mostly relating to product rather than game issues.

And there wil be previews, but much closer to the time of release.
FrostyNSO
Ok, thanks
Jrayjoker
By product do you mean color of book, number of hardcover available, amount of color illustrations, etc.? Or something completely different.
tisoz
I am waiting for the announcement that a veteran game designer with expertise in the new target market has been solicited in the development of the new edition. Turns out it is Timmy Jackson.
Homme-qui-rigole
Who is Timmy Jackson ?
Starglyte
QUOTE (Homme-qui-rigole)
Who is Timmy Jackson ?

http://www.kenzerco.com/periodicals/kodt/

He is a character in the Knights of the Dinner Table comic. A must read for all gamers.
Toa
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
[...] number of hardcover available,

As far as I know the unlimited edition is also hardcover, so no worries about that.

QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
amount of color illustrations, etc.?

Erm... none? No color edition has been announced, and all 4th edition artwork that has been "leaked" so far has been b/w.
Adam
The 16 sample character pages are colour.
Grimtooth
tisoz Posted on Jun 26 2005, 10:47 AM
  I am waiting for the announcement that a veteran game designer with expertise in the new target market has been solicited in the development of the new edition. Turns out it is Timmy Jackson. 

Nice shootin' Tex cool.gif
chevalier_neon
Hum... nearly three weeks before the release of SR4... Isn't it time for a new FAQ, demo or whatever ?
Plizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Jrayjoker
If we are following Robert's Rules, I second.
Smed
How about System Failure.? Isn't it the last SR3 book?

It would be nice to see it before SR4 comes out....
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Adam)
Yeah; there's at least one more set of FAQs written up, mostly relating to product rather than game issues.

And there wil be previews, but much closer to the time of release.

Yup...

So...

I really really hope they are too busy fixing rules and editing to do this stuff. Otherwise, I'd say we've been hung out to dry.
Adam
The former. Production takes precendence over promotion when you have limited manpower. The previews and the remaining FAQ entry will still arrive, fear not.
Shadow
Doesn't the book come out like Friday?

Does that mean we get the preview this week (and the other FAQ)?

Or am I wrong on the date?
SL James
Next Thursday, which is the first day of Gencon and AFAIK the day all Gencon releases go on sale at the booths.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Adam)

Good god. They learn nothing.
SL James
At least we know they'll be removable.
Shadow
QUOTE (SL James)
Next Thursday, which is the first day of Gencon and AFAIK the day all Gencon releases go on sale at the booths.

When you say 'Next thursday' do you mean this coming Thursday (8/11) or the Thursday (8/18) after this one? (Which would be the Thursday after Next)

If its this week when exactly are they going to release the preview and the last FAQ?
SL James
August 18
Aku
quote=shadow]When you say 'Next thursday' do you mean this coming Thursday (8/11) or the Thursday (8/18) after this one? (Which would be the Thursday after Next)[/quote]

Oh, how i love the english language! Here, i call any day coming, "this"...(today is tuesday, any day THRU next tuesday, is referred to as This _____day. After next Tuesday, they become NEXT ______day.)
Ellery
The phrase "Thursday week" is pretty unambiguous, but unfortunately is not widely understood in the U.S..
Kagetenshi
You sure on that? Maybe the Irish slang just soaked into my brain too much…

~J
Ellery
I often try it when "this Nday/next Nday" produces confusion. It usually generates even more confusion (except among my Australian friends, of whom I have several).
Kagetenshi
The more verbose form "a week from this Nday" is both unambiguous and in common usage, so perhaps it should be used.

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Aug 8 2005, 04:34 PM)
QUOTE (Adam @ Jul 22 2005, 11:58 AM)

Good god. They learn nothing.

If the binding issue is addressed what exactly is wrong with that? I really enjoyed that art, though i do admit having the stats on the same page was a bit distracting. I'd really like to see some of the colour art pages dispersed through the book as well, but i don't know if that presents any extra binding logistics/cost issues?

EDIT: Having the colour art pages placed as chapter separators would have been sweet. Tough to top functional eye candy.
nezumi
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 8 2005, 05:39 PM)

The ones in my 3rd edition are removable. Not intentionally so, but removable nonetheless.
Nikoli
Funny thing is, my first run print of SR3 did that, in like 6 months or so, the replacement is now 3 years or so and no issue and it has seen more use. Hopefully (emphassison the hope) they won't go with bargain basement binders this time around.
Lady Anaka
QUOTE (blakkie)

I'd really like to see some of the colour art pages dispersed through the book as well, but i don't know if that presents any extra binding logistics/cost issues?

EDIT: Having the colour art pages placed as chapter separators would have been sweet. Tough to top functional eye candy.

Unless the entire book is in full color, that isn't possible. You can designate a signature (16 page bundle) to be color and the rest to be B&W or two-color or whatever, but you can't intersperse a single full-color page in with a bunch of b&W unless you pay for the whole thing to be full color, in which case you're wasting the rest of the pages if you don't fully use the color there too. In short, lots more expensive to do what you're discussing. Not that it wouldn't be cool, but there is a cost issue involved.
SL James
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 8 2005, 05:39 PM)

The ones in my 3rd edition are removable. Not intentionally so, but removable nonetheless.

Yes, that was the joke.
nezumi
Sorry frown.gif
JongWK
I've had binding problems too, but mostly due to use. Even then, the pages most affected are the first or last ones (I think this problem applies to all softcover books).

My SR3 books is still in good shape, despite being almost 7 years old and experiencing severe use. Color plates were never a problem. Some of the first pages are a bit in bad shape, not to mention the coffee stain, or the chunk that someone bited off from a corner (if I ever find out who was it, I'll <censored!!!> him/her).

Kyoto Kid
Yeah, all of my colour plates decided to go solo from my book too.

On the other hand, WOTC has been releasing all of the D & D material in colour, and might I say, at a fairly reasonable price. Their best is Forgotten Realms - both the core setting and supplements. Almost all are hardcover and printed in full colour with exquisite illustrations. Other than the Core Setting (lists at I believed 52.95) the price of most expansions has been around 25.00 - 30.00 per book. Not bad for books that are pretty much made to last. (I have had mine since 3.0 was released, and there still isn't a loose page to be found).

This brings me to another issue, maps. Why is it that regional and city maps in Shadowrun source books for the most part lack scales (Metric or English)? I found it particularly frustrating while using Shadows of Europe. At one point, the team needed to take a somewhat lengthy (and hasty - for the "clock was running" so to say) road trip through Hungary, Slovenia and into Serbia. I ended up going to my local travel store & purchased a Michelin roadmap of the region (about half the cost of the SOE Supplement) so that I could figure out the base time it would take.

Dashifen
depending on where you are and the availability of the internet, maps.google.com is a good resource to determine how long a trip takes. They include a scale in the bottom left of their screen. Downside areas not within the United Kingdom in Europe haven't been entered into the system, yet, so you have to estimate a little bit. But if you're in the US, UK, or Canada (maybe more) you can enter the two cities, or the two addresses even, and get the time it takes to go from A to B post haste.
Lady Anaka
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
Yeah, all of my colour plates decided to go solo from my book too.

On the other hand, WOTC has been releasing all of the D & D material in colour, and might I say, at a fairly reasonable price. Their best is Forgotten Realms - both the core setting and supplements. Almost all are hardcover and printed in full colour with exquisite illustrations. Other than the Core Setting (lists at I believed 52.95) the price of most expansions has been around 25.00 - 30.00 per book. Not bad for books that are pretty much made to last. (I have had mine since 3.0 was released, and there still isn't a loose page to be found).

This brings me to another issue, maps. Why is it that regional and city maps in Shadowrun source books for the most part lack scales (Metric or English)? I found it particularly frustrating while using Shadows of Europe. At one point, the team needed to take a somewhat lengthy (and hasty - for the "clock was running" so to say) road trip through Hungary, Slovenia and into Serbia. I ended up going to my local travel store & purchased a Michelin roadmap of the region (about half the cost of the SOE Supplement) so that I could figure out the base time it would take.

Without getting too specific, I can tell you that WotC works in a far, far larger scale than FanPro. There have been over a million copies of the core book sold, and without denigrating FanPro, I can feel somewhat certain that they've sold considerably less than that. WotC can have that price point because of the scale on which they work. Comparing their practices and price points to anyone else in the industry is simply foolhardy.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)

I hear ya, but I suggest you google before buying stuff. Whenever that kind of situation happens to me, I usually find a site that does the trick.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Lady Anaka)

Without getting too specific, I can tell you that WotC works in a far, far larger scale than FanPro. There have been over a million copies of the core book sold, and without denigrating FanPro, I can feel somewhat certain that they've sold considerably less than that. WotC can have that price point because of the scale on which they work. Comparing their practices and price points to anyone else in the industry is simply foolhardy.

Actually with regards to Fan Pro you are correct. Most of my Shadowrun material (including the core book) was produced by FASA. Only the more recent releases that I have such as Man & Machine, SOTA 2063/2064, Target Awakened Lands and Shadows of Europe were released by FanPro. These latter books, have been well used (and in some cases abused like when they have been stepped on fallen from tables etc.) and have held up remarkably well. Being that both releases of SR4 are hardbound I am expecting there should be no problems (My old SR2 hardbound still has all the colour plates intact and this book has seen some "extreme action")

Maybe it relates to the different processes by which pages are "sewn in" pages with regards soft & hardcover bindings. As to the size of publishing company, FASA also produced the fairly popular Battletech series which has a significant number of supplements and rules expansions.
2bit
whoa! my color inserts all fell out within a month of owning the book. SR3 was maybe a week.
Adam
When speaking to Lady Anaka, it might aid you to know the following facts: She used to work for FASA [was laid off when they closed], has worked for FanPro as a writer and editor since day one, and currently works full time at Wizards of the Coast. She is well aware of the publishing history of Shadowrun, and also that of WotC. smile.gif
Ranneko
Well, the last SR4 FAQ is out.

http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/wordpress/?p=53
fistandantilus4.0
Q. How complete is the new main rule book going to be? How much of the old rules will be in it? (metamagic, program writing, initiation, bioware, nanotechnology, etc.)?
....Q. How complete is the new main rule book going to be? How much of the old rules will be in it? (metamagic, program writing, initiation, bioware, nanotechnology, etc.)?

and
Q. Will a PDF of SR4 be available?
A. Yes, the SR4 PDF will go on sale next Wednesday. It wil be available both through BattleCorps and DriveThruRPG.

Awesome

What SR4 sourcebooks will follow the main rulebook?..
This will focus on both Seattle and Hong Kong in 2070, as centers of shadowrunning activity.
nezumi
Holy cow, a new FAQ and it's actually useful. I am impressed.
Nikoli
Yeah, I definitely like the lack of Swordfish Mustardball.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012