Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This just reminds me of the Renraku Arcology
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Demonseed Elite
Specifically makes me think of the hydroponic garden floors.
Jrayjoker
Yup.
DocMortand
Cool! I didn't have a mental image of the hydroponics floors before this - I can inject a little more realism the next time my group goes through a hydronponics area.
hobgoblin
hmm, interesting. alltho i wonder what the electricity bill for it is and how big the result is...
DocMortand
It's Renraku. If you have to ask what the electricity bill is, you obviously can't afford to live there. grinbig.gif
hermit
Hey, they have *three* nuclear reactors in there. Count them. THREE: They gotta be good for something! biggrin.gif
Jrayjoker
One word: fiber optics.

You run fiber optic cables from the roof to the hydroponics labs and never have to pay for electricity again. You can even set up the collector on the roof to follow the sun so it gets maximum sunlight all day. And you'd only lose about 8% of the intensity of the light if the cable were continuous.
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
One word: fiber optics.

You run fiber optic cables from the roof to the hydroponics labs and never have to pay for electricity again. You can even set up the collector on the roof to follow the sun so it gets maximum sunlight all day. And you'd only lose about 8% of the intensity of the light if the cable were continuous.

With the optical computer technology of the 2060's, it's also quite possible to have windows appear and dissappear throughout a building, and to have what is seen through the window vary depending upon what the control system says it is.
Supercilious
On that subject, Spastic, a great trick to play on runners is have them take an elevator ride down ten stories, and have there be "windows to a grassy field."

My players were thinking government conspiracy and black magic, it was just a "trick of the light" as it were, computer generated grassy fields to keep wage-slave moral on the up and up. The pyschological effect on the runners was amazing though.
DocMortand
Ooooo....vegm.gif It's too bad that one of my runners reads these posts avidly so it's not nearly as effective.

Still a good idea though. I already threw a nursery at them that freaked 'em.
MYST1C
QUOTE (Supercilious)
it was just a "trick of the light" as it were, computer generated grassy fields to keep wage-slave moral on the up and up.

Just think of the underground arcology in the "Resident Evil" movie where there were "windows" showing a view as if the arcology was in fact a skyscraper in some normal city.
DocMortand
*nod* Actually in this day and age I would think the "screens" would show the occasional 'copter getting blown out of the sky for intruding on the wrong airspace, but that's just me. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012