Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ahhh the memories
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pugwhan
This entire thread/subject on 4th edition brings back such memories. How many of us were around when 3rd edition was announced? Such glorious flame wars that created. Go through the archives and check out those threads. You could substituted 4th edition for 3rd edition in many of the posts and have the same posts we are seeing now. Hmm maybe thats what some people have done.

It all boils down to this. If you don't like 4th edition then keep playing 3rd. With very minor changes any of the sourcebooks/modules convert from edition to edition (I've been converting 1st and 2nd edition stuff to 3rd all along).

As for me,
1 - I'll buy everything they put out in hardcopy (yes I'm addict).
2 - If I like it I'll play it. If not I'll stick to 3rd edition and put 4th on the shelf
3 - The only way I'll boycott/drop shadowrun is if they go to a pdf/online sales type.
Critias
Yeah, this needed a thread for itself.
Fortune
QUOTE (Critias)

I don't see why not. I mean, you don't honestly believe that the 'if you don't like it, don't buy it' argument has received enough exposure before now, do you? sarcastic.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jun 21 2005, 05:23 AM)
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 21 2005, 09:03 PM)

I don't see why not. I mean, you don't honestly believe that the 'if you don't like it, don't buy it' argument has received enough exposure before now, do you? sarcastic.gif

I don't think he said anything about not buying it if 'you' don't like it. wink.gif Just not playing it. biggrin.gif

P.S. I'm curious as to what thread you suggest he append this comment? It is more of a board wide comment than anything.
GunnerJ
SUCH AMAZING INSIGHT! THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED!

THANK YOU MYSTERIOUS WARRIOR!
Starglyte
Whats wrong with him stating his opinion?
nezumi
QUOTE (Pugwhan)
If you don't like 4th edition then keep playing 3rd. With very minor changes any of the sourcebooks/modules convert from edition to edition (I've been converting 1st and 2nd edition stuff to 3rd all along).

(I know, I really am a masochist...)

See, here's the problem. This statement is false. You CAN'T easily convert them from one to another. Oh, I'm sure someone like Kag will go and make conversion guides, but it's going to be a pain in the butt, worse than changing 1st edition to 3rd. The mechanics are substantially changed, and many of the character types seem to be as well. So your whole 'don't worry, you can play 3rd edition and bring in 4th edition gear' is pretty much shot.

Plus, and call me crazy on this, I suspect that most of us have an IQ above that of the common tuber, and we are well aware that if we aren't interested in the new version, we can in fact continue to play the old one. In fact, I'm quite sure it's been brought up many times, many many times, even, generally with about as warm a reception as you are now receiving.
Nikoli
I'm curious as to why a PDF/Online format for sales would lead you to boycott?
Jrayjoker
Most pople don't have access to a high quality printer that they don't have to pay for, a way to make 2-sided copies cheaply, a way to bind the printed pages into a book that is durable and inexpensive, or a laptop to cart their books around.

Some of us have all these things, or are willing to have the expense in order to print multiple copies of a book, but it isn't for everyone.
mfb
QUOTE (Pugwhan)
With very minor changes any of the sourcebooks/modules convert from edition to edition

someone hasn't been reading the FAQs.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Nost pople don't have access to a high quality printer that they don't have to pay for, a way to make 2-sided copies cheaply, a way to bind the printed pages into a book that is durable and inexpensive, or a laptop to cart their books around.

Some of us have all these things, or are willing to have the expense in order to print multiple copies of a book, but it isn't for everyone.

Um, I do NOT buy PDF versions of books to print them out I buy them to use on my PDA or Tablet PC so I can text search my entire library. I don't even know anyone that bought the PDF's to print out, and I know several people that have made those purchaces, all to use them in electronic format.
Jrayjoker
That is why I buy them. To bind and use that is.
Pugwhan
QUOTE (Nikoli)
I'm curious as to why a PDF/Online format for sales would lead you to boycott?

Its because I like to have a solid copy in my hands and I don't want to have to deal with printing it out. I've got PDF copies of everything available so if I want to do a search I can but I rarely use them. Not to mention that when its available electronically it is a lot easier to pirate I've seen both Earthdawn and Shadowrun books available on bittorrent. Not that I've downloaded it.
Nikoli
Ah, I mis-read your earlier statement then. I thought you meant that if they offer a pdf version you'd boycott, not pdf only.
I doubt any established company will go to a strictly electronic format as long established deals with publishers will make their collective life hell for doing so. Gaming companies at one time depended on FLGS' to survive and occasionally thrive. Now, with the proliferation of dependable, reliable online stores, there is less need for FLGS' to be around, hence their sad decline. I personally would rather go to my FLGS and buy a book (or pre-order) because I can hang out, talk with some folks I haven't seen since High School (saw a buddy I hadn't seen in almost 7 years, last saw him at a Renn Faire, but that was in passing) and talk to folks and "geek out" as my wife likes to put it. I would like to see my FLGS licensed to burn copies of the PDF's for distribution though. Sort of bring the analog stores into the digital world.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012