Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intelligence, Knowledge Skills, and cyber
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hermit
A simple question: when are skill points determined, before or after the character is cybered and edge/flawed?
weblife
Well, the way we play it, skills are accumulated throughout your life. At character creation, you are at your "final" or "adult" level.

Edges/flaws are something you have had all your life, so they affect your skillpoints.

Cyberware is something you probably just recently recieved, thus no immediate bonus to skillpoints. - This is contrary to the way NSRCG does it, when you take INT boosting cyberware there, it gives you more knowledge skillpoints immediately. I do not agree with the spirit of that though.

Its pretty much up to your group, but the above are my two cents.
Jrayjoker
I'd let the back story determine the efficacy of cyber and bio enhancements on skill increase. But I am a big fan of the back story.

If the character got the mnemonic enhancer for college, then got into running, then yes. Otherwise, no.
Fortune
Yep, the character's history is how I handle it as well.
Jrayjoker
Is it ironic that I can never remember how to spell mnemonic?
Ol' Scratch
In most cases, cyberware isn't something you just had installed the Tuesday before the game started. Like everything else, it's something you've gained throughout your life and your career, and is little different than a skill in that way (as you can use the exact same cop-out answer to say that you only picked up a gun last Tuesday and have spent the week at a shooting range).

Translation: It should affect your starting Knowledge/Language Skill Points as much as any other attribute mod affects any other characteristic during character creation.
Jrayjoker
Yup.
mmu1
I don't think it's necessary to even argue that you'd probably have had that cyberware for a while before starting play - you paid for it at chargen same as everyone else did for their stats, so unless there's something in the cyberware rules that specifically says otherwise, you get the full benefit.

Jrayjoker
Yup.
Aku
add my hat to the camp that says you accquire it as you go along;exception being if it's some how in the backstory that you learned XYZ skill as a kid (maybe some survival skills as a boyscout, or all the cooking you know you learned as a girlscout) then i might not go with it. But if you didnt specify WHEN you learned something, i would assume it's something you've worked on and are still working with your whole life.
toturi
I'd allow the bonus and drawbacks if any that are accrued from Edges/Flaws and cyberware immediately on chargen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012