Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a new mage school
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aku
Ok, one of the biggest problems with SR mages was i couldnt find something that storywise or benfits wise gave me the feel i wanted, spefically, a mage that focused MORE on conjuring, but not the the complete exclusion of spell casting. so I came up with this, as of yet unnamed Cabal/School description:
QUOTE (me)

the <insert name here> has long been a cabal of mages focused more on summoning and conjuring than spellcasting. Both shamans and Magicians have entered into the halls of this cabal, possibly giving some of the abilities now seen.

Because of their focus on conjuring, These magicians can only learn spells with a learned force equal to 1/2 magic (rounded down) Example: Vilmor Greenskin is a <name>,  with a magic rating of 6 and has noticed his team is getting shot up alot and wants to help by learning a Heal spell. If vilmor doesn't want to limit his spell, the max he can learn it at wold be force three. If he choose to take a fetish, or make it an exclusive spell, he could learn it up to force 6 by taking both.

in exchange for the spellcasting,  the magican are able to do a wider range of conjuring than regular magicians, not only being able to summon elementals, but also being able to  summon spirits . However, spirits of any kind will not answer to an immediate calling, instead, a special focus must be constructed a head of time that a given spirit type will recognise and will garuntee the calling of. (basically the same as the gris gris). The focus, as a gris gris, can not be bought, but must be made, as an expendable spell fcus for costs.

Some of my thoughts, as this has already been run past the GM and has a "tentative" OK. Sprits will most likely be limited to one type per character, which is ok, as i already have elementals i can summon. He said that he was fine letting the fetish/exclusive actions also affecting drain, my original suggestion was to take physical drain if the original spell force was > 3/4ths of your magic rating, rounded down, i think. So i could at char gen, take a force 4 spell with a fetish with no problem, but if for some reason i really wanted a force 6 spell, i'd have to take physical drain.

Questions, comments?
BookWyrm
If you're just looking for a name for this group, let me toss a few at you;

Usually, the group is named after the founder or event that brought them together.

name of the group; The {founder/event name} Conclave of Conjurists, Magi & Theurgists.

"Vilmor Greenskin is a conjurist--"
Jrayjoker
Well, physicians have general practitioners, why can't maji have general conjurists?
Modesitt
Much simpler way: You get +2 dice to all Conjure tests, but -2 dice on all Sorcery tests. Then you just write in whatever flavor you like and voila! Done.
RangerJoe
The Faustian order. *Cough, cough*
Aku
QUOTE (Modesitt)
Much simpler way: You get +2 dice to all Conjure tests, but -2 dice on all Sorcery tests. Then you just write in whatever flavor you like and voila! Done.

True, that is a simpler way, but it also removes the ability to conjure the spirits, and it also removes the semi limit on what they can learn, sure i can get a force 6 spell, but it has to exclusive, and fetished. your way, that limit isn't there, and i feel, my limit would be more of a limit for a longer time on a character, at some point, your sorcery skill could be high enough hat 2 dice wouldnt make much of a difference.
Ancient History

Official Name: The Callers' Guild
Nickname: Summoners
Members of the guild are aspected conjurers. Members may choose to develop their skills along the lines of either Hermetic mages or shamans, gaining the benefits, trappings, and styles appropriate to their tradtion.
Advantage: Members of the Callers' Guild develop a Summoning Talent edge with one type of spirit they cannot usually summon. A member may change this summoning talent in place of learning a new metamagic technique during initiation. The first metamagic technique a Summoner learns is Invoking.
Disadvantages: To utilize their Summoning Talent, members must possess a special fetish appropriate to their tradition. Should this fetish be stolen, lost, or destroyed, the Summoner cannot summon spirits of that type until it is replaced, and any spirits of that type the Summoner currently controls goes free. Summoners develop two Spirit Bane flaws; these may be any spirit type and are determined by the gamesmaster.

Aku
It's interesting AH, but still, as an apsected conjurer, you don't have ANY spellcasting ability. frown.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
If that guild were open to all variants of magic it would almost be what was requested. Drop a line and it works by the initial idea.
Ancient History
Catty bitch. sarcastic.gif

Kidding. wink.gif So take it out.

The problem is, it is very difficult to mandate players be limited or crippled in one particular aspect. Players do that to themselves all the time, mind, but mandating it raises their hackles.

It's like how everyone is perfectly willing to stay off the grass until you put up a sign telling them to stay off the grass.
Jrayjoker
I think she/he is the player in question. So hackles may not be raised in thesame way you thought.
Talia Invierno
Shadowrun Companion, 2nd edition, had magical edges and flaws enabling the PC to conjure one type of spirit. There was nothing restricting a magician of one flavour from taking such an edge to be able to conjure one spirit of a type not usually conjurable. We houseruled that no one could take magical edges or flaws unless they had at least a D priority in Magic (C being adept for metahumans).
Aku
Correct Jray, but my other issue, as the subline says, is the "Flavor", someone that slacked off in Magic 101, but was cramming conjuring classes in every corner of the schedule he/she could, so he could still CAST spells, but to a lesser effectiveness.

i wasn't going so much as simply extra conjuring ability, there are already existing semi ways to do that i think (like the +dice mechanic, i could just become a Sun shaman i think it was)
Herald of Verjigorm
Well, the most blatant way to display sleeping through sorcery while obsessing with conjuring would just be the difference in skill levels betwen those two. Sorcery 2, Conjuring 6. If that's not enough, toss in an incompetance on sorcery to display that you are actively bad at it. If the GM likes the idea enough, you might even get away with an aptitude for conjuring, because it is quite possibly the single roughest magical skill in the game.

Or you can try to trick the GM into accepting an alternate biased mage. Base logic follows.
Elementalists are hermetic mages that can only use abilities linked to an element.
Conjurers are magic types who can only use abilities related to conjuring (mostly).
Elemental mages get a bonus for one element and a penalty for one opposite.
Therefore, Conjuring mages who get a +2 to conjuring and a -1 to sorcery aren't outlandish.
Aku
Well, the problem with the blatent way of doing it, which i've considered, is theres nothing but self control keeping me from taking a highforce spell, and as i said earlier, I don't think the - die thing stays a penelty for that long. as skill and spell pool can relatively easily overcome that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012