Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OpenRPG
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
joe12south
I'm trying to put together an online game of SR3 and I'm at the point of evaluating different tools to facilitate play.

One option that looks a little more tailored than ICQ or IM is openRPG. Before I take the time to install Python on my computer and give it a whirl, I was wondering if any of you had experience with it? It seems totally generic, but by any chance are there any deal breakers that make it unsuitable for SR3?

Thanks!
Pusher
Hi,

I've been GMing a Shadowrun game on OpenRPG for a little over two months now and I can tell you that it works just fine. The only snag we've hit so far is sometimes a loaded map doesn't appear for the players to see. Chances are it's user error, though (I have to figure that one out...).

I'm sure you've checked out the different features OpenRPG has to offer for online play so I won't list them here. Suffice to say, they all come in handy.

Granted, the medium being as it is, online play is a little slower but overall it's quite good.
CirclMastr
Forget OpenRPG, run it over AIM so I can play biggrin.gif

On a more serious note, I did try using Open RPG once. Once.
Dragoonkin
I took a peek at it briefly just a short bit ago and I must say...it looks like a great whacking hassle to use, for not much more benefit than an IRC channel with a dice bot... That benefit being a little grid to move around on. Well, and a bit more. But in my totally not-having-used-it-just-glanced-at-it-briefly opinion, it looks like more work than it's worth.

Especially since it's all preloaded for d20, so you'll have to build your own files right off the hop.
Corywn
Uh Yeah, I'm in Pusher's game. Personally, I stand by OpenRPG, it doesn't add anything extra to keep track of with an online game. I made my own node (file) with pre-loaded rolls for all my attributes, skills, checks, pools, etc. and have included in that text files with equipment listings, and Karma and Nuyen gains/spendings.

If you know what you're doing (or know someone who has an idea), it can be a lot smoother to use Open than run without a map at all (Pusher's problem has been loading a detailed map, in these cases he simply draws the map and nobody really has a problem, though it isn't as accurate or clear.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012