Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strange Days
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
weblife
Its from 1995, and its supposed to take place in the period up to the year 2000.

Title Strange Days.

I'm watching it on the TV, and its very SR like. smile.gif
Ancient History
"And that was just a 16-year old girl taking a shower."

Yeah, I remember. Good flick.
Supercilious
I will seek it out.
hermit
Pretty neat movie, all in all. Watched it when it came out, in theaters, and then bought the VHD. Still have it somewhere. They aired this somewhere around 28th of december in 1999, here, IIRC.
winterhawk11
Yeah, excellent movie. Ralph Fiennes as a BTL pusher (with trode rigs) and Angela Bassett as a kick-ass limo driver/bodyguard type. Definitely very SR-like (albeit dated at this point, since it was set during the changeover from 1999 to 2000).
Panzergeist
Funny thing, those BTL-like things, called SQUIDS, are actually based on a real device which scans peoples brains. Of course, it's a gross exageration of their abilities, not to mention the real thing is way bigger.
DrJest
Top film, heartily recommended as SR fodder
BitBasher
Written, but not directed, by James Cameron to boot.
Cray74
QUOTE (weblife)
Its from 1995, and its supposed to take place in the period up to the year 2000.

Title Strange Days.

Awesome movie. I really felt the crowd's mood conveyed on screen at the end of the film. Good SR material throughout.
Cray74
QUOTE (weblife)

Title Strange Days.

Awesome movie. I really felt the crowd's mood conveyed on screen at the end of the film. Good SR material throughout.
winterhawk11
Forgot to mention, fantastic soundtrack as well. The CD is worth picking up.
Jrayjoker
Never listened to the soundtrack, but the movie was good. I felt they caught a lot of the cyberpunk feel of SR and the betrayal that is a potential in every run, but that is easy in Detroit. (I recall it was set there, but I may be wrong, and I'm to lazy to google it right now.)
audun
Nah, it was set in LA. Watched it this weekend, as it aired in Denmark. Great film, but I disagree strongly about the soundtrack. Maybe it is just dated, but it is in no way great. The worst thing is the rapper who's supposed to be US's leading rap star. He looks mostly like Malcolm X and is as much of a rapper as Malcolm was.
It's a pity actually, because if the soundtrack had been somewhat better the movie might have been a classic.
Jrayjoker
So were Robocop, Beverly Hills Cop, and The Crow the only movies set in Detroit?
Nikoli
Robocop, set in detroit, filmed mostly in atlanta...
I used to work across the street from the Mitchell St. Hotel, who's claim to fame is that the storefront get's broken in tons of movies, including one of the robocops, and that was down the street from the Bluebird cafe, which was the setting for the rebels in the 3rd installment.

Mildly amusing annecdote about Strange Days, I worked at an arcade when that came out, which ajoined a movie theatre. we had a deal, worked out with the manager for free movies and their employees getting tokens, so I tried to watch that movie like 10 times in the theatre, but within 5 minutes of roughly the half way point something always came up. So I had the first half memorized, then years later (like 2 years ago) I finally watch the whole thing. Seemed silly by that point, but I needed closure as the Face/pusher/ex-cop was such a wonderfully compelling character.
Garland
Mostly I liked watching Macie beat the stuffing out of creeps.

I recall seeing that movie in the theaters when it came out. It was the late show; I walked out of that film at 0030 feeling poleaxed. I made the buddy I went to see it with swear that we'd go to LA for the New Year in 1999/2000.

I disagree about the soundtrack; I've got it and still listen to it quite a bit. It's as good a projection as any of what music would sound like in '99, as speculated from '94. They kind of had the prominence of rap right, at least.

Anyway, it's especially nice that the big background conflict is over race. That ports quite well into SR.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012